• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DirectX 12 GDC 2014 presentation: Low-Level Access, DX11 GPUs, Holiday 2015

-SD-

Banned
odtblhqsabktd.png

EDIT: New papers: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=115712936#post115712936

Microsoft's article: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/directx/archive/2014/03/20/directx-12.aspx
NVIDIA's article: http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/03/20/directx-12/
Official Twitter: https://twitter.com/directx12

Microsoft said:
Q: Should I wait to buy a new PC or GPU?
A: No – if you buy a PC with supported graphics hardware (over 80% of gamer PCs currently being sold), you’ll be able to enjoy all the power of DirectX 12 games as soon as they are available.

Q: Does DirectX 12 include anything besides Direct3D 12?
A: Also new is a set of cutting-edge graphics tools for developers. Since this is a preview of DirectX 12 focused on Direct3D 12, other technologies may be previewed at a later date.

Q: When will I be able to get my hands on DirectX 12?
A: We are targeting Holiday 2015 games.

Q: What hardware will support Direct3D 12 / will my existing hardware support Direct3D 12?
A: We will link to our hardware partners’ websites as they announce their hardware support for Direct3D 12.

Event has ended. No video streaming was allowed so, we had PC Perspective's live blogging only.

http://www.coveritlive.com/index2.p...ng=on/channelPage=no/lightboxGallery=yes/ev=5

- In DX11, one core is doing most of the work, on DX12, overall CPU utilization is down 50% and the workload is more spread out.
- "Solved" multi-threaded scalability.
- API is now much lower level. Application tracks pipeline status, not the API.
- Better collision and culling.
- Existing base of AMD users will benefit from DX12.
- Intel commits to having Haswell support DX12 at launch.
- NVIDIA will support DX12 on Fermi, Kepler, Maxwell and forward.
- By the time DX12 ships, 50% of all PC gamers will be DX12-capable.
- Targeting December 2015 games.
- Early access coming this year.
- Windows 7 support seems to currently be a question mark.

Some of the slides:

http://schedule.gdconf.com/session-id/828184
Microsoft said:
For nearly 20 years, DirectX has been the platform used by game developers to create the fastest, most visually impressive games on the planet.

However, you asked us to do more. You asked us to bring you even closer to the metal and to do so on an unparalleled assortment of hardware.

You also asked us for better tools so that you can squeeze every last drop of performance out of your PC, tablet, phone and console.

Come learn our plans to deliver.

Can't wait to read misterxmedia expert analysis of the presentation, he still thinks there is another more powerful GPU in a hidden layer of the APU and that Microsoft are keeping it quiet from everyone including their first party developers...............................

big_z

Can't wait to read misterxmedia expert analysis of the presentation, he still thinks there is another more powerful GPU in a hidden layer of the APU and that Microsoft are keeping it quiet from everyone including their first party developers...............................

isn't he claiming it will be revealed at this conference? I hope this is his breaking point, ive been waiting for it to happen.

there are things that hint that there could be a second layer of sauce in there. heavily rumored before launch, the tear down, Microsoft reps not out right denying it, etc but I think its most likely bullshit. chances of it happening are like winning the lotto then getting hit by lightning.

c0de

Why bring this crap in this thread?!

Man

So what are the chances this will overshadow Sony's VR presentation?
Direct X marketshare has been shrinking since 2007. This is MS trying to slow down mass adoption of OpenGL. The likely way they are trying to do this is by providing Mantle like optimizations on the PC side. Valve, probably the biggest 'exclusive' PC developer, is trying to get rid of Direct X. It has minimal to no performance significance for Xbox as it's fixed hardware devs can custom tailor their code 100% for today.

Henrar

isn't he claiming it will be revealed at this conference? I hope this is his breaking point, ive been waiting for it to happen.

there are things that hint that there could be a second layer of sauce in there. heavily rumored before launch, the tear down, Microsoft reps not out right denying it, etc but I think its most likely bullshit. chances of it happening are like winning the lotto then getting hit by lightning.

T won't stop him from trying to make Xbox One more powerful than PS4. If not today, MS will announce secret dGPU sauce at E3. Or VGA. Or next year's GDC. He won't stop. Ever.

big_z

So what are the chances this will overshadow Sony's VR presentation?

it wont, itll be mostly tech details on what dx12 adds, what it does better than previous versions and how its useable on all types of devices.

the only way it shadows sony VR is if Microsoft pulls a second layer of sauce out for the xbox one. if that happens gaf servers will melt and it will be one of if not the biggest secret in gaming history.

T won't stop him from trying to make Xbox One more powerful than PS4. If not today, MS will announce secret dGPU sauce at E3. Or VGA. Or next year's GDC. He won't stop. Ever.

his brain has to give at some point. a sony warrior recently asked Pennello to crush misterxmedias hopes of a second layer but he said that he only makes corrections when people are wrong. we were so close to misterxmedia meltdown....

Triple U

Banned
MS said:
You asked us to bring you even closer to the metal and to do so on an unparalleled assortment of hardware.

I was told that PC developers didn't care for lower level access and that coding to the metal was a myth that console warriors cling to.

This doesn't compute...

Xtars

Microsoft said:
However, you asked us to do more. You asked us to bring you even closer to the metal and to do so on an unparalleled assortment of hardware.

Sounds like they are aiming straight at AMD and Mantle.

chadskin

the only way it shadows sony VR is if Microsoft pulls a second layer of sauce out for the xbox one. if that happens gaf servers will melt and it will be one of if not the biggest secret in gaming history.

And we all know how good MS is at keeping secrets. ntkrnl agrees.

UnrealEck

Direct X marketshare has been shrinking since 2007. This is MS trying to slow down mass adoption of OpenGL. The likely way they are trying to do this is by providing Mantle like optimizations on the PC side. Valve, probably the biggest 'exclusive' PC developer, is trying to get rid of Direct X. It has minimal to no significance for Xbox as it's fixed hardware devs can custom tailor their code 100% for today.

This is exactly what I am thinking is one of if not the biggest thing driving Microsoft into doing this.

Will current vid cards be compatible with DX12, or does every big DX jump signal the need for new vid cards?

I doubt it will need a new graphics card but anything's possible. Same with the OS. It is Microsoft and PC gaming though so there's a chance they'll fuck us over somehow.

ekim

I got a private message somewhere about minds getting blown (caps locked) - not sure if related to DX12 or Microsoft but the timing would fit.

chadskin

I wonder though, what will happen with Mantle if/when DX12 can offer similar performance improvements? Seems odd AMD put money and resources into something that'll basically be obsolete anyway?

geordiemp

Really looking forward to this.

More out of the build up on my favourite comedy site miserx and how Dx12 will give stero drivers and that stacked dgpu...

The tension is real... (LOL)

geordiemp

it wont, itll be mostly tech details on what dx12 adds, what it does better than previous versions and how its useable on all types of devices.

his brain has to give at some point. a sony warrior recently asked Pennello to crush misterxmedias hopes of a second layer but he said that he only makes corrections when people are wrong. we were so close to misterxmedia meltdown....

Its like an on going soap opera where you know one day he will just give up, he has got close a couple of times then find a new angle (dark silicon / hidden gpu / stacked die / stereo drivers)...

Its amazing how he keeps it up - certainly deserves some sort of award

Bheaze

Banned
In 6 hours we'll find out whether MisterXMedia is either a fraud or is right and is treated with respect as an insider.

He'll be praying the heavens and the lords for that stacked GPU.

ekim

http://schedule.gdconf.com/session-id/828181

DirectX: Direct3D Futures (Presented by Microsoft)

Come learn how future changes to Direct3D will enable next generation games to run faster than ever before!

In this session we will discuss future improvements in Direct3D that will allow developers an unprecedented level of hardware control and reduced CPU rendering overhead across a broad ecosystem of hardware.

If you use cutting-edge 3D graphics in your games, middleware, or engines and want to efficiently build rich and immersive visuals, you don't want to miss this talk.

big_z

Microsoft is going to bring misterxmedia on stage and when he walks out its going to be J Allard giving double middle fingers. Then he'll say each finger represents each layer of the xbox apu.

Top Bottom