• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 Developer Diaries And Gameplay Footage

EDIT: Developer Diary 2 out now- WITH gameplay. Here yo!

I'm still very much excited for this, I enjoyed jumping into Dirt 2 with its' identity crisis of controls of the cars. Now that all the gears heads of GAF have stopped F5'ing for their life in the GT5.. =P

Developer Diary Part 1

BTW: Did they say tracks in Michigan, USA? *geeks out*

Helios_CM said:
Did anyone from here put their name down then?

If anyone from here didn't realise, if you want to keep up with the latest updates then our DiRT 3 Senior Game Designer is answering community questions on Twitter.

Here are a couple of threads which collate all of what he's confirmed to date.

http://community.codemasters.com/fo...on-1339/447160-dirt3-making-story-so-far.html

http://community.codemasters.com/fo...ssion-1339/451748-dirt3-story-so-far-pt2.html

Plenty of info there for you to take in and absorb :)

Classic Group B Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2gwGg1Oblw

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2011/02/04/...around-finland

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2011/02/04/...and-challenges

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2011/02/04/...ro-to-gymkhana

purg3

slept with Malkin
Diablohead said:
60% rally, much better!

6 head 2 head tracks

32 rally courses.

good, I can definitely do with as little as the other race types as possible. Would be better if it was pure rally racing but this should do.

1-D_FTW

I know I won't be day 1. I thought my issues with F1 were fixed with setting compatibility mode to Vista SP3, but I just had another load lock issue. Guess I'll just wait till it goes on sale for 9.99 and all the bugs are known and/or patched. Then it won't bother me. And if it doesn't ship with DX 11 mode at launch, run for the hills. This was a horrible harbinger for F1 that I didn't realize.

markao

Teknopathetic said:
Not quite 100% like it needs to be, but yeah 60% is an improvement.
+1, call me interested.

Plus Quattro & Delta Integrale !

Lancia Delta Integrale was the first proper car I drove after getting my license, never forgot, fast as hell, at night and no working speedometer, so driving on RPMs and guessing the speed :D

Put a smile on my face it did. Lookin' forward to it.
Feel a bit guilty as I stopped following Rallys a couple of years back...

fresquito

They use the damn piss filter even on their Dev Diary! They answer the questions of their fans, but the one question everybody is asking is "when will you get rid of the damn piss filter in your games?

Anyway, 60% rally stages falls short. 40% short to be more precise.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I really hate the word "accessibility" these days... code word for "put through the dumb filter".

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
wish they showed a bit more gameplay, buit the small amount of footage with the quottro in the woods looked great, even with the "piss filter".

after dirt 2 and the announcement of more rally, dirt 3 is one of my most anticipated games.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
recklessmind said:
I really hate the word "accessibility" these days... code word for "put through the dumb filter".

that's what accessibility is about.

Diablohead said:
60% rally, much better!

6 head 2 head tracks

32 rally courses.
Absolutely. Rally events were by far the most enjoyable in the game. I just wonder if along with being more plentiful, if the rally courses will also be longer. The longest one in Dirt 2 is 8.7km.

And.
Counting the trailblazer events Dirt 2 had 22 rally courses.
Without them it's 14.
Without all the reverse/shorter variations I believe it's 7.
11 with trailblazer.

Going by the math that Codemasters is gonna inflate the numbers any way they can, I'm expecting Dirt 3 to have 10-16 straight up rally courses.

I just hope they don't have as much "Hey, Brah! that some gnarly shit you just pulled off. Let's go watch UFC and bro it out!"

Less Broness please.

jlevel13

Sounds like Dirt 3 is going to be more like Dirt 1, but with the improved handling and graphics of Dirt 2, plus snow & rain. Looking forward to it myself. I also prefer the rally races, but don't mind a few stadium events & hills climbs for variety. It is called Dirt not Rally.

VibratingDonkey said:
Absolutely. Rally events were by far the most enjoyable in the game. I just wonder if along with being more plentiful, if the rally courses will also be longer. The longest one in Dirt 2 is 8.7km.

And.
Counting the trailblazer events Dirt 2 had 22 rally courses.
Without them it's 14.
Without all the reverse/shorter variations I believe it's 7.
11 with trailblazer.

Going by the math that Codemasters is gonna inflate the numbers any way they can, I'm expecting Dirt 3 to have 10-16 straight up rally courses.
I can see each rally being 2 to 3 segments, so you will either run a full lengh or one of the segments, just like dirt 2.

Hope there is plenty to rally, I don't midn that, just give us lots of rally!

Hanmik

do not know where to post this.. so here we go in this thread..

Gamereactor has an exclusive article about Dirt 3.

http://translate.google.com/transla...p://www.gamereactor.dk/artikler/81240/Dirt+3/

- 60% of the game is Rally events and trailblazer events.
- Norway, Kenya, Monaco, Finland, Aspen and more countries will be visited in the game.
- Rally, Trailblazer, Landrush and Hill Climb are all back
- Gymkhana, new game mode. inspired by Ken Block. Battersea Station in London makes place for a virtual compound, that you can race freely around in. You will unlock new areas of theis compound whilst playing the main game.
- Youtube uploads of replays from the Gymkhana races can be uploaded via an ingame function.
- Trickster is a new way to drive, its a different control scheme, that you can chose to use or not in Gymkhana.
- Kris Meeke (finish WRC driver) says he can set up his virtual car in the game, just like his real life car. And then it behaves just like it would in real life.
- Driving physics have changed MUCH since Dirt 2.
- Time of day (which you race in) can be chosen freely. Better weather effects and better driving physics are promised by Codemasters,
- Online function where players can toy around with different racemodes and lots more.
- Splitscreen makes a comeback.

there is a video at the link.

SmokyDave

I saw a Sierra! I saw a Sierra!!!

Jimmy McRae / Gemini livery please!

Detail so far sound juicy. Let's hope they drop the faux xtreme atmosphere a few notches.

op_ivy

Hanmik said:
do not know where to post this.. so here we go in this thread..

Gamereactor has an exclusive article about Dirt 3.

http://translate.google.com/transla...p://www.gamereactor.dk/artikler/81240/Dirt+3/

- 60% of the game is Rally events and trailblazer events.
- Norway, Kenya, Monaco, Finland, Aspen and more countries will be visited in the game.
- Rally, Trailblazer, Landrush and Hill Climb are all back
- Gymkhana, new game mode. inspired by Ken Block. Battersea Station in London makes place for a virtual compound, that you can race freely around in. You will unlock new areas of theis compound whilst playing the main game.
- Youtube uploads of replays from the Gymkhana races can be uploaded via an ingame function.

- Trickster is a new way to drive, its a different control scheme, that you can chose to use or not in Gymkhana.
- Kris Meeke (finish WRC driver) says he can set up his virtual car in the game, just like his real life car. And then it behaves just like it would in real life.
- Driving physics have changed MUCH since Dirt 2.
- Time of day (which you race in) can be chosen freely. Better weather effects and better driving physics are promised by Codemasters,
- Online function where players can toy around with different racemodes and lots more.
- Splitscreen makes a comeback.

there is a video at the link.

loading up the vids now, but the bolded has me really excited. should be a ton of fun to tool around in gymkhana and selectable time of day is just :O

my most anticipated game of 2011

modulaire said:
Gymkhana Walkthrough (Cam) HD - Pre Alpha Gameplay footage

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gymkhana-walkthrough-dirt-3/707565

oh my god, so fucking awesome! :lol

Diablohead said:
I hope we get some slower rally layouts, that looks rather boring like the new WRC game, floor it and take 10 degree corners :(

RE' Meeke video... i agree, but to be fair, it seemed the camera man was more intent on showing us his profile and feet, especially when things got hectic driving. early in the video we missed a wreck

op_ivy

Goldrusher said:
Whoever is in charge of the piss filter, needs to go see a doctor. :lol

Or did they dump the piss in favor of absinthe ?

codies, dont change a thing! i thought they nailed it. sure looks like a coming (passing?) storm sunset (sunrise?) to me.

anywho, some screens from these demos

DiRT3_Gymkhana_675.jpg

DiRT3_Rally_675.jpg

op_ivy said:
Looks lovely, few too many forza floating cameras (tm) and I am guessing that is just a fast rally segment, still it looks damn impressive.

Goldrusher said:
Whoever is in charge of the piss filter, needs to go see a doctor. :lol

Or did they dump the piss in favor of absinthe ?
If it's anything like dirt 2's engine I can mod the lighting :D

GOD DAMMM this game looks sick, I hope the game is a little more accessible because I liked dirt 2 but I'm no good at it so hopefully their is a "baby mode" for me :p.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
why is there so much media and press for this game all of a sudden? Is it coming out soon or something?

op_ivy

Dilly said:
Dirt 2 with night racing, more rally, hill climb and dynamic weather?

Yes!

and gymkhana to practice and goof off in. so mutha fuckin sold.

op_ivy said:
nothing all that new in the video (there is an older youtube video of a gymkhana walk through), but cool none the less, especially seeing the bits of gameplay from the cockpit view.

But this is the OFFICIAL diary! Doesn't that make it better? :lol

recklessmind said:

I played and loved Dirt 2 mainly because it was accessible. I guess that makes me dumb.

Haklong

I just got Dirt 2 for PC during the Steam sale. I got it because of the price but man is it fun. Looks amazing too. If part 3 is even better I will surely be there day one.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
The piss filter is still gross. It wasn't as bad in Dirt 2, but it looks like its back in full force here. :\

Hixx

Haklong said:
I just got Dirt 2 for PC during the Steam sale. I got it because of the price but man is it fun. Looks amazing too. If part 3 is even better I will surely be there day one.

Same. Just hope the PC version isn't delayed this time...

I do hope now with GT5 having the WRC, that Dirt 3 will have better handling. I know they can't go completely sim controlled as that's not the series and they'd probably loose fanbase but the handling of the cars felt so weird in 2.

Thanks for the title update =O I'm going to try and piece together as much media for Dirt 3 as I can as I stumble upon it for anyone interested.

CozMick

Banned
As long as the Americanised shite has been removed I'll be all over this day one,

Having Ken Block squawk in my ear every 5 minutes was a fucking nightmare.

Seriously Codies, Point to point is all this game needs!!!!!!

LISTEN TO YOUR FANBASE OF 11-12 YEARS.

op_ivy

Square Triangle said:
I do hope now with GT5 having the WRC, that Dirt 3 will have better handling. I know they can't go completely sim controlled as that's not the series and they'd probably loose fanbase but the handling of the cars felt so weird in 2.

Thanks for the title update =O I'm going to try and piece together as much media for Dirt 3 as I can as I stumble upon it for anyone interested.

i liked 2's handling (MS wheel with default settings btw), but they have already said that the handling and physics have been greatly improved.

CozMick said:
As long as the Americanised shite has been removed I'll be all over this day one,

Having Ken Block squawk in my ear every 5 minutes was a fucking nightmare.

you know, you could turn that off, in race anyways.

Seriously Codies, Point to point is all this game needs!!!!!!

LISTEN TO YOUR FANBASE OF 11-12 YEARS.

dirt is, sadly, not CMR though. you gotta take the good (rally) with the bad (buggies and trucks). thankfully dirt 3 seems to be biased more towards the good.

op_ivy

apparently codies will be making the rounds to various outlets to show off dirt 3. a new kenya rally stage will be shown along with the new ford fiesta next week!

Paul Coleman via twitter said:
I'll be traveling around the United States on a press tour next week showing the game to journalists. We'll have a new rally stage to show.

the plan is to show a Kenya Rally stage and Ken Block's Rally America Ford Fiesta.

radMonkey said:
The reason Kenya was chosen was because it was one of the most finished parts of DiRT 3. We don't want to show you broken mechanics, or poor graphics when they won't represent what you're gonna get at the end of the day.

Obviously this will change as we get closer to the release of DiRT 3. So expect to see awesome footage and hands-on with the rest of the game later on in the year.

The team are making brilliant progress and it won't be long before you see more of the game.

In the meantime Kenya will definitely show you one thing, the graphics. DiRT 3 really is a step up in the series

found @ the codemasters forums.

saladine1

Can't wait for the next iteration especially the fact that pure rally will make a comeback.
On another note, why was there no clutch support for DIRT 2 and will we see it for DIRT 3?

Top Bottom