• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 Developer Diaries And Gameplay Footage

HeliosT10

saladine1 said:

Did anyone from here put their name down then?

If anyone from here didn't realise, if you want to keep up with the latest updates then our DiRT 3 Senior Game Designer is answering community questions on Twitter.

Here are a couple of threads which collate all of what he's confirmed to date.

http://community.codemasters.com/fo...on-1339/447160-dirt3-making-story-so-far.html

http://community.codemasters.com/fo...ssion-1339/451748-dirt3-story-so-far-pt2.html

Plenty of info there for you to take in and absorb :)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Helios_CM said:
Did anyone from here put their name down then?

If anyone from here didn't realise, if you want to keep up with the latest updates then our DiRT 3 Senior Game Designer is answering community questions on Twitter.

Here are a couple of threads which collate all of what he's confirmed to date.

http://community.codemasters.com/fo...on-1339/447160-dirt3-making-story-so-far.html

http://community.codemasters.com/fo...ssion-1339/451748-dirt3-story-so-far-pt2.html

thanks! bits i particularly liked:

-Head2Head events are our equivalent of Super Special Stages.They are stand alone events with a multi-round knockout format.Winner of each round progresses.They will not be part of the rally events.

-Rally Events in DiRT3 will use total stage times to determine the finishing positions.

-We are developing a system that automatically adjusts the speed of the pace note delivery according to the speed you are driving.

-We have further improved our physics engine in DiRT3.Weight shift plays a more important role in setting the car up for a corner.

-We have improved all our surface physics to accurately represent wet conditions.Snow will require a new driving style to perfect.

-We have 8 Stages per rally location and these will have a good variety of speed, technical sections and jaw dropping scenery.

-We have Finland, Norway, Kenya and Michigan as our Rally Locations.Finland & Michigan will have rain.Norway will have snow and Kenya will be dry. They will all
have night stages.

-We are investigating other rally locations that could be added as downloadable content.

-We have made improvements to our particle effects because of the additional weather conditions. Dust will be improved too.

-We are still working on the weather systems for DiRT3. Fog Is one of the things we are trying to include in our stages.

-We now have a system that allows the player to get punctures. If you drive on the tyre will eventually shred off the rim.

-We have a system that allows some of our spectators to stand in the road and then run for safety behind a barrier as you approach.

Helios_CM said:
Helios, a question which has probably been answered by now: will the game have circuit tracks and hill climb events?

[edit] Wow, I see they're in. Those posts have plenty of info. I'm officially hyped. Thanks!

saladine1

Another question to Helios, any clutch and H shifter support?
Please tell me clutch support is in, it has to be, what with the 60's-80's rally cars being featured...

Teknopathetic said:
Not quite 100% like it needs to be, but yeah 60% is an improvement.

This is a Colin McRae game at heart - he branched out into areas other than rallying towards the end of his career, which is why the game doesn't exclusively focus on it.

The game shouldn't be 100% rallying because it would be disrespectful to who Colin was.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
The game shouldn't be 100% rallying because it would be disrespectful to who Colin was.

That's a little ridiculous. It wouldn't be disrespectful in the slightest towards McRae.

Raggy

Banned
Might try this out, Dirt 1 and 2 was crap compared to orginaly Colin series.

If Dirt 3 got 60% rally, then it's a 60% game to me, but better than 1 &2 I guess.

NHale

I NEED SCISSORS said:
This is a Colin McRae game at heart - he branched out into areas other than rallying towards the end of his career, which is why the game doesn't exclusively focus on it.

So Michael Schumacher would feel disrespected if someone did a game with his name without having motorcycles?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Helios can you confirm that you guys have resolved the DirectX 11 bug? Many people, including many here at NeoGAF and on your own forums, who own the PC version suffered from the bug where, if you ran the game in dx11, it will crash at random times particularly after about an hour. Same thing happens in F1 2010. It's the reason many of us have been forced to go back to Dx9.

Helios please find out from the devs if this is something that has been resolved or is at least being looked into.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I NEED SCISSORS said:

It should be 100% Rally to respect what he was most well-known for and because I want the game to be 100% fun. Rally cars are by far the most fun to drive all the other vehicles are a total chore.

1-D_FTW

isamu said:
Helios can you confirm that you guys have resolved the DirectX 11 bug? Many people, including many here at NeoGAF and on your own forums, who own the PC version suffered from the bug where, if you ran the game in dx11, it will crash at random times particularly after about an hour. Same thing happens in F1 2010. It's the reason many of us have been forced to go back to Dx9.

Helios please find out from the devs if this is something that has been resolved or is at least being looked into.

I'll co-sign this. I will absolutely not be buying day one for this very reason. And if I find out it's still in there from impressions, I'll never buy it. The F1 2010 engine was a huge step backwards for me. Dirt 2 was glorious. F1 was a technical nightmare.

I'm not sure my issue was exactly the same as Isamu's, but I know from the Codemaster forums that mine was very common: When going to a load screen, the spinning wheel would randomly stop. And whenever it stopped, that was it. The game had crashed. And considering the game loaded in 1/10th the time and got much better performance while in DX 11 mode, it wasn't much of a choice. Oh, yeah, I also had micro stuttering with DX 9 that was gone with 11.

Stallion Free said:
It should be 100% Rally to respect what he was most well-known for and because I want the game to be 100% fun. Rally cars are by far the most fun to drive all the other vehicles are a total chore.

Except that you're not everyone. And what you find fun and unfun doesn't necessarily apply to others. Vocal minorities don't really represent anything other than themselves. I for one loved the stadium events.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I can't fathom how anyone can enjoy driving the buggies, they almost all look hideous (when I venture out of the cockpit view) and they drive like shit. I hate having to continually compensate for the oversteer or whatever.

Trucks just look fucking ugly. I don't mind the driving quite as much much they are still pretty unexciting.

Rally cars are pure sex and I don't know how anyone couldn't want the game to put like 95% focus on them. Stadium events (Rally X?), hill climbs, point to points are all goddamn magical. They better fucking pile on the hill climbs. Pikes Peak like a boss.

1-D_FTW

Okay. Gotcha. I thought you were saying the game had to be 100 percent rally courses (point A to point B). I'll agree there. The trucks and buggies do kind of suck. I don't find them unplayable, but I'd much rather they just add a ton of classic rally cars. That would make for much better "variety" IMO.

op_ivy

Stallion Free said:
I can't fathom how anyone can enjoy driving the buggies, they almost all look hideous (when I venture out of the cockpit view) and they drive like shit. I hate having to continually compensate for the oversteer or whatever.

Trucks just look fucking ugly. I don't mind the driving quite as much much they are still pretty unexciting.

Rally cars are pure sex and I don't know how anyone couldn't want the game to put like 95% focus on them. Stadium events (Rally X?), hill climbs, point to points are all goddamn magical. They better fucking pile on the hill climbs. Pikes Peak like a boss.

i agree with this. fuck the trucks/buggies, codies should just follow the formula that rsc had. rally, hillclimb, cross over, rally cross. perfect mix :)

RickA238

I really dug driving the fast street-rallyish cars like in the Shibuya stage in Dirt 2, that was one of my favorite parts of the game. What were those cars considered? Rallycross? Pro Rally? I hope they don't cut those events out.

The trucks were pretty stupid for the most part. Maybe having one country devoted to trucks would have been cool for novelty factor. But having like five countries with trucks, forcing you to complete them to progress was a total drag; it was like being forced to eat the crappy pizza crust before the part with the sauce and cheese.

1-D_FTW

RickA238 said:
I really dug driving the fast street-rallyish cars like in the Shibuya stage in Dirt 2, that was one of my favorite parts of the game. What were those cars considered? Rallycross? Pro Rally? I hope they don't cut those events out.

The trucks were pretty stupid for the most part. Maybe having one country devoted to trucks would have been cool for novelty factor. But having like five countries with trucks, forcing you to complete them to progress was a total drag; it was like being forced to eat the crappy pizza crust before the part with the sauce and cheese.

Baja. Aren't the trophy trucks considered the glamor class for that race? That would actually make sense. But, yes, keep it small.

When people always bitched about the non-rally sections, I always assumed they were referencing everything that wasn't point-to-point (though I think some still mean that).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
1-D_FTW said:
Baja. Aren't the trophy trucks considered the glamor class for that race? That would actually make sense. But, yes, keep it small.

When people always bitched about the non-rally sections, I always assumed they were referencing everything that wasn't point-to-point (though I think some still mean that).
Nah, Rally X or Stadium events are sweet. I like the tight tracks.

1-D_FTW said:

I always meant any non point-to-point section when I bitched. I hate all the stadium shit. I'm not a big fan of the buggies and trucks and would prefer a rally-car only game, but I still prefer point-to-point in any stupid vehicle over even rally cars in closed tracks.

HeliosT10

Here's another screen I couldn't see posted on this thread.

179883_197008230315161_144403458908972_814159_1656270_n.jpg

YagizY

How have the past games been on wheel support? I just picked up a DFGT and with how impressive this game looks, I'll have to pick it up if it supports the DFGT.

YagizY said:
How have the past games been on wheel support? I just picked up a DFGT and with how impressive this game looks, I'll have to pick it up if it supports the DFGT.

Dirt2 works great for me, plugged it in and played it with no fuss.

bj00rn_

Banned
YagizY said:

It was supported. But playing Dirt (1) (never tried Dirt 2) with a wheel messed up my brain, the output vs input wasn't making any sense to my humble opinion. Let's hope they improved it.

Rekubot

Dirt 2 is the only Steam game that I have never gotten to work, despite it coming free with my graphics card. Even Saints Row 2 (the worst PC port of all time) at least functions, but Dirt 2 invariably crashes as soon as the AMD logo pops up. WTF Codemasters.

1-D_FTW

bj00rn_ said:
It was supported. But playing Dirt (1) (never tried Dirt 2) with a wheel messed up my brain, the output vs input wasn't making any sense to my humble opinion. Let's hope they improved it.

They did. That was one of the biggest upgrades in 2 (supposedly). It's very good.

I picked up Dirt 1 on the cheap from Steam, but have yet to load it. And it's for this reason. 1 is pretty notorious for the lousy wheel support. I'll have to boot it up one day and discover just how bad it is.

YagizY said:
Dirt 1 was horrendous.

Dirt 2 was pretty good but I still needed to do some tweaks, which I hate to have to do.

Here's hoping Dirt 3 will require no effort on my part.

YagizY said:
How have the past games been on wheel support?

bloody awful.

90 degree wheel lock (180 left and right) and awful force feedback. dirt 2 with the g25 on ps3 is a twitchy-floaty mess of a rally game.

have they fixed this for dirt 3?

Really really hoping this is like Rallisport Challenge 2 and its Wales and Monte Carlo stages. I think that was the pinnacle of vg rally racing.

When is this bad boy out anyway? There has been a lot of hype since late 2010, I don't particularly want to wait until June with the hype machine in full effect.

op_ivy

may 24th, just in time for my birthday. and kenya looks AWESOME.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
bloody awful.

90 degree wheel lock (180 left and right) and awful force feedback. dirt 2 with the g25 on ps3 is a twitchy-floaty mess of a rally game.

have they fixed this for dirt 3?
I have it from a trustworthy source that Dirt 2 has awesome force feedback.

op_ivy

PjotrStroganov said:
I have it from a trustworthy source that Dirt 2 has awesome force feedback.

and its IMO that it controlled very well with a wheel. he is right about dirt 1 though

I credit (blame) racing wheels with killing my love of Forza 3 and Dirt 2 in 2009/2010.

Kills me to let my wheel collect dust, but I am soooooo much better with a controller. Please let Dirt 3 be the bomb. I want there to be one racing game on the 360 that crushes all others perpetually.

Top Bottom