• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 Developer Diaries And Gameplay Footage

amar212

So, my initial impressions after first hour of Dirt 3.

Nice job Codemasters. Loving, just loving the Brit-electro-pop tracks that gives so much atmosphere to the game. Also, I love the classical British accent on voiceovers is back. Thank you for those small touches.

I love the GUI, it reminds me on old days of Colin McRae Rally games - with modern twist. I will miss real-time animated service area forever, but nevermind that - you did a good job here. Triangles and pyramids are nice designer idea. Also, despite initial mandatory install (PS3 version here) I will not say a word regarding loading times. Very bearable.

I love 5-steps setups, reminds me of the first CMR game. I love fast reloading of stages and I really love stages. Old-school vibrance of past times is here again, shame you didn't use all DIRT and DIRT2 stages for rally, it would make a perfect addition to new venues.

Great job done on handling model, I play with the wheel exclusively (G25, will try Fanatec GT2 tomorrow) and I love it. Much better than Dirt 2, I congratulate on now almost instinct option to change wheel-handling settings from pause menu (including force feedback settings). I feel the road, I can prepare for the turn and I can feel the actual weight-transfer - which is the most important in my book - and react accordingly.

Although central-pivot turning is still there - 15 years of consecutive tradition and counting - I have no problem with it. Even without 4-point handling suspensions feel alive and physics are convincing. Not a RBR by any mean, but we all know that there is only one RBR - and times of such games are long gone unfortunately.

I love the car selection, Pokemon-time again, especially with all those oldies there. Kadett is my personal favorite, beautiful piece of old-school machinery.

I love the small details around the track, particles, lights effects, crowd that runs off the track and beautiful nature. So far, I have seen only Finland and Kenya, and both look great. What I don't like is presence of legendary PisFilt, but I guess one day you will magically realize that having yellow filter and increased bloom (later less pronounced than in D2) does not increase graphics-quality.

But I love the damage model, damage animations and damage sounds. This game screams "Codemasters" from it's every part and that is great.

> Thank you for constant support of my Small Country for the Gran Turismo :) I just hope Rally Croatia and our beautiful nature represented in Dirt 2 will not be forgotten

> Car selection/rooster is awesome. Great job there, can't wait to get some time to test-ride all these beauties

> Pre Race-Menu. Love what you did with GUI, options to change settings in real-time and animations of nature

I will be having more fun tomorrow when I'll be going through career unlocking all venues I can with time on my disposal. Can't wait to get my hands on finished product.

Will not post in-game screens for NDA reasons, this phone-cam-quality snaps are here just to provoke discussion. Initial conclusion - this is shaping to be the best Dirt so far. Didn't expect nothing less and all I can say is that I can't wait to see the moment when next GRID will see the lights. This version of EGO engine and expected return to old-school hard-core roots of touring racing will certainly be a day to celebrate.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
have they addressed the amount of steering lock on PS3?
180 degrees with a wheel in dirt 2 (and f1 2010) is a joke. they need to copy what slightly mad studios did with shift 2 and give us the option to set the steering lock 0-900

You can change both steering saturation and steering linearity, making steering-lock more/less faster/responsive. I prefer loose setup - it is a rally game after all - but I presume that Advanced Steering options will suffice for every type of players.

1-D_FTW

Do you go directly to the menus after finishing a race? It drives me nuts when they have that shaky cam and then slow pan into the trailer EVERY single time you exit out in Dirt 2. It may have been a cool feature if it was used a couple of times, but it got aggravating real quick.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
so, rally, sounds great, what are your thoughts on the other racing disciplines? big improvements there as well?

for the record, i HATED the other disciplines (buggies, trucks, etc) in dirt 1 and thought they were improved and only a minor detraction in 2. would always prefer the focus to be purely on rally and rally related disciplines (rally cross, hill climb, etc) though i'm curious to see how its hand;led now

saladine1

Sounds good Amar.

How are the sounds of the cars...specifically the classics?
Also, can we finally use the clutch?

-Amon-

While being far from an actual representation of rally ( all vids show an insane amount of grip ) this looks at least funny. Hope we'll get shifter and clutch support.

Nice to see Group B in too. Audi Quattro looks and sound near the real thing. Delta S4 model looks really wrong in the videos.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
AMAR 4 PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!

Thanks a bunch for those detailed impressions. Gonna be a blast on the PC(hoefully without too many bugs :( )

Now bring the FUCK on GRID 2!! My bawdy iz redie!!!!!!!!!

Decado

isamu said:
AMAR 4 PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!

Thanks a bunch for those detailed impressions. Gonna be a blast on the PC(hoefully without too many bugs :( )

Now bring the FUCK on GRID 2!! My bawdy iz redie!!!!!!!!!
YES! By far my most anticipated racer.

While I want DIRT 3...I still have to install and play Dirt 2....

I canceled my 360 pre order, sorry.

pre order is on pc version like it should have been at the start!

Decado said:
YES! By far my most anticipated racer.

While I want DIRT 3...I still have to install and play Dirt 2....
OMG go play dirt 2 right now, GO! it is awesome.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Diablohead said:
pre order is on pc version like it should have been at the start!

wisedecision.gif

amar212

1-D_FTW said:
Do you go directly to the menus after finishing a race?

Yes and no, depends :) There is some loading present inbetween, but those "3D world trailerpark" menus are history. Menus are streamlined now, like in old Colin games, although made in full 3D with nice animations.

op_ivy said:
so, rally, sounds great, what are your thoughts on the other racing disciplines? big improvements there as well?

I agree that more classic-rally would be better, but all "other disciplines" are also here, as in past dirt gams. However, whole game is now made to be more "Old Continent", from music, voiceovers and overall feel. It is more balanced blend of traditional rallying and modern offroading than previous games and car selection is definitely more biased towards classic rally.

I have tried just Rally and Safari Rally (classic race in Kenya) and spent all other time browsing through menus. Will try everything later today, yesterday I had only hour on disposal. I did enter the Rallycross events just to see atmosphere and try some full-grip racing but than I had to go. From the overall handling feeling - I always use the same setup for all races, with loose steering and full 900-lock - I love the delicacy you have to implement in turning. Fast turning will lead you nowhere. Also, you can select full ABS-off from the handling menus and disable braking-turning option for most realistic feel. I like what they did there.

saladine1 said:
How are the sounds of the cars...specifically the classics?
Also, can we finally use the clutch?

Engine sounds are atmospheric and attractive, but I wouldn't call them accurate. In my 5.1 surround I could welcome richer sound on the central-speaker (engine sounds). Effects sounds are pretty much perfect, from collisions, road and debris effects and so on. I love the pace-noting of the co-pilot (I use "complex"). As always in all Codemasters games it is nothing less than perfect.

-Amon- said:
While being far from an actual representation of rally ( all vids show an insane amount of grip ) this looks at least funny. Hope we'll get shifter and clutch support.

It is not actual representation by any mean, but I have to admit it is damn fun and damn addictive. Overall feeling of catching the splits propelled me back to 1998 and times when we were learning every detail of every stage in order to make it podium when restart.

Clutch and H-Shifter are fully supported.

soultron

Banned
Group B has me hella hyped. Can't wait!

Gonna be grabbing in on 360. Will be double-dipping on PC if mine can run it well by the time it's out.

amar212

Blimblim said:
No embargo for you amar212? I thought it was up tomorrow.

Not a matter of media-disclosure really, I will not reveal any media regarding game in any point. I never post any in-game screenshots or videos, so I presume I respect the actual NDA.

I speak about very specialized issues which may concern hard-core community and fans of the old-school CMR series, of which none will probably be covered in mainstream media.

I hope that will not upset anyone, because I didn't get any info regarding actual embargo dates, I am only aware of disclosure regarding in-game media as such (as written you-know-where) - which I respect by every mean (thus I have only showed few snaps of menus).

Pookaki said:
Does the PC version have GFWL? I know Dirt 2 did.

My purchase actually hinges on this. GFWL recently stopped letting me login in Dirt 2, so I can't access my 30% complete save or earn any more cheevos. Other games sign in, but in them I can't download a required update because of some error. I'm relegated to an offline profile now and have to start from scratch in every game. It's a trash system that I hope dies in a fire - i'm glad Microsoft have almost been eliminated from the PC market if this is the shit they want to peddle.

1-D_FTW

Unfortunately, Codemasters (and maybe Capcom) are its biggest defenders. Dirt 3 is GFWL and there's no indication Codemasters will be dropping it anytime soon.

mclaren777

"With the release closing in quickly, Codemasters has announced that there will be no demo version of the title prior to the store release. Codemasters states that all available resources are currently focused on getting the title ready for release, a post-release demo has not been explicitly ruled out though."

:(

AcridMeat

Banned
mclaren777 said:
"With the release closing in quickly, Codemasters has announced that there will be no demo version of the title prior to the store release. Codemasters states that all available resources are currently focused on getting the title ready for release, a post-release demo has not been explicitly ruled out though."

:(

Boooo!

That said, watching GiantBomb's TNT this week has made me super excited for Dirt 3.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Damn, no idea this was releasing so soon. I just went back to Sega Rally Revo this past week too so I'm definitely in the right mindset for a day one purchase.

Gek54

amar212 said:
I will miss real-time animated service area forever

I still can't believe they got rid of it because someone complained. I thought it was the most immersive interface I have ever seen, it kept me in the game. They really thought people wanted a more "professional"/boring/sterile GUI?

Oh well

bob_arctor said:
Damn, no idea this was releasing so soon. I just went back to Sega Rally Revo this past week too so I'm definitely in the right mindset for a day one purchase.

SRR was alright, if you can find a copy of Rallisport Challenge. Still my favorite rally racer to date.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Square Triangle said:
SRR was alright, if you can find a copy of Rallisport Challenge. Still my favorite rally racer to date.
Oh, believe me, I love RSC2. I still play it every now and then on my huge CRT in the basement. It may very well be my favorite racer of all-time. I still remember the online tourney we had on here. I was terrible compared to almost everyone but it was fun as hell.

Gandie

Just preordered it on D2D. I loved the first two games and the focus on rally, along with the introduction of Snow stages is pretty awesome. Also, £20 for a brand new game is
dirt
cheap.

InertiaXr

What % of the campaign is pure rally or even trailblazer? I think Dirt 2 is 2nd favorite racer of all time behind Burnout Takedown but it had way too much of that shitty raid/trophy trucks/land rush crap. Are they pushing that gymkana stuff hard or did they listen to fans and put more rally in?

LeadGandalf said:
Just preordered it on D2D. I loved the first two games and the focus on rally, along with the introduction of Snow stages is pretty awesome. Also, £20 for a brand new game is
dirt
cheap.
I really want a boxed pc version but codies seem to not believe in them anymore :( I still buy boxed where I can but £20 sounds good. Paid just under that for Dirt 2.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
InertiaXr said:
What % of the campaign is pure rally or even trailblazer? I think Dirt 2 is 2nd favorite racer of all time behind Burnout Takedown but it had way too much of that shitty raid/trophy trucks/land rush crap. Are they pushing that gymkana stuff hard or did they listen to fans and put more rally in?
I think it was said that it'd be 60% Rally this time.

Gek54

amar212 said:
So, my initial impressions after first hour of Dirt 3.

Although central-pivot turning is still there - 15 years of consecutive tradition and counting - I have no problem with it. Even without 4-point handling suspensions feel alive and physics are convincing. Not a RBR by any mean, but we all know that there is only one RBR - and times of such games are long gone unfortunately.

I think you are confusing the physics of the car with the behavior of the 3rd person camera and the way it pivots the car when turning.

1-D_FTW

InertiaXr said:
Looks like I'll be picking this up when it's on sale for 60% of 50, $30.

60 percent off would be 20 dollars.

Did Codemasters up their prices? I could have sworn Dirt 2 launched at 39.99. And I know F1 2010 (which had the expensive F1 license) launched at 39.99. Getting it for 35.99 with the pre-order discount is why I went day 1. I would have done the same for Dirt 3 on Steam (don't care about D2D, sorry). As it is, I'll wait for a sale. And the thing about me not buying Day 1, I tend to get cheaper and cheaper the longer it takes for price cuts.

1-D_FTW said:
Unfortunately, Codemasters (and maybe Capcom) are its biggest defenders. Dirt 3 is GFWL and there's no indication Codemasters will be dropping it anytime soon.

Guess i'll wait for it to hit £5 in the Steam sale. Never again will I pay more for a GFWL title.

1-D_FTW

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Guess i'll wait for it to hit £5 in the Steam sale. Never again will I pay more for a GFWL title.

Because of how amazing Dirt 2 was, I'm not that militant. But considering how buggy Codemaster's racers have been, and the severe limitations on GFWL patches, I'm almost glad they didn't price it at 39.99 to launch. This way I'll know just how broken the game is (and whether the one big patch addresses things) by the time the summer sale rolls around.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Hmm. I went and tried Rallisport Challenge on the 360 for the first time in a long while and am I correct in saying that it's framerate is somewhat gimped due to BC? It's still smooth but there are numerous dips that just don't exist on the original Xbox. Shame too cuz I love it widescreen. As an aside, yeah, the game still is amazing.

You can change both steering saturation and steering linearity, making steering-lock more/less faster/responsive. I prefer loose setup - it is a rally game after all - but I presume that Advanced Steering options will suffice for every type of players.

so, can you have your wheel do 540, or is it just like dirt 2 where you can change those options within the 180 limit?

the game got 9/10 from opm uk

Nicely written Blimblim and amar!

One question: Is the GUI similar to CMR3 or DiRT 1?

I can't wait till this one is released. The online part sounds awesome!

amar212

GUI is more similar to the feel in CMR games definitely and CMR3 could be a good comparison, although D3 GUI is more refined and more "3D" so to say.

Nice preview Blim, I agree about the heavier feel of the cars. I really adore what they did with the physics, especially when you play with the wheel. I think it will suffice to say that IMO this is the best wheel-optimized physics I have ever felt in console game after GT5.

I have spent a whole damn hour is chasing the Platinum in one of the Drift Rally races and I felt great after I collected +26000 points needed for it. Logic they've created for physics and wheel-optimization are none less than perfect and it is my personal favorite part of the whole game.

Even Ghymkana events were fun, although I think some figures could be easier done with the controller. However, chasing Ken Blocks performance on asphalt will be a great challenge and I really love the feel of movement and lateral weight on suspension - it is just logical, informative and accurate. You know what your car is doing, you know when you will loose grip and you know what you should do to make a tire-snap or countersteer. Before this I was not fond of having Gymhkana/Ken Block in this game, but now I find it a great addition. And I jut love Monaco, can't wait to see all other tracks/special stages of Monte Carlo.

Of course, DIRT 3 is by no way a hard-core simulation, but it is an overwhelming rally experience that beautifully balances between approachable and demanding. Night snow racing, snow racing, rain racing, desert rally - nature feels so alive and vivid and overall feeling of the game is just adoring.

Such shame that Codemasters can't find a business-model to finance an true WRC game, with all countries, stages and classes - with this engine, physics model and overall level of polish an attention to details, it would be really a dream come true.

Top Bottom