• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 5 devs: Next gen GPU differences don't impact development, but have efficiencies when optimising and tuning

Aladin

The FUD about Series S in next gen specs thread is on another level. 🤮🤢

Makes one think, these guys are not comfortable with xbox winning the power narrative. And my small little console is getting bashed because of their hurt feelings.

I am rooting for the little guy. 👿

Next calculate how many more next gen console exclusives* PS5 have compared to xbox.

*Released only for PS5 or xsex/xses
Should I count demon souls, spiderman ? 😂 Buddy I am 23, i am beyond my teenage years, stop with these me you back and forth. Go enjoy your exclusives man.

Next calculate how many more next gen console exclusives* PS5 have compared to xbox.

*Released only for PS5 or xsex/xses

Don't get the power talk at all. We talking about a console that was going to release with a big AAA exclusive needing a Raytracing patch post launch who knows when . The same console that also needs an RT patch for DMC5. Seems to me like there is a lot of explaining to do come Nov. 10-12. Pocketing DF won't be enough.... new players on the scene on that front.

Last edited:
Don't get the power talk at all. We talking about a console that was going to release with a big AAA exclusive needing a Raytracing patch post launch who knows when . The same console that also needs an RT patch for DMC5. Seems to me like there is a lot of explaining to do come Nov. 10-12. Pocketing DF won't be enough.... new players on the scene on that front.

Pretty sure new players and old probably care more about exclusive The Elder Scrolls, Doom, Fallout etc than *reads notes* DMC5 port getting a patch for Ray Tracing.

Maybe make a thread, poll inside, on it?

Pretty sure new players and old probably care more about exclusive The Elder Scrolls, Doom, Fallout etc than *reads notes* DMC5 port getting a patch for Ray Tracing.

Maybe make a thread, poll inside, on it?

New players meaning nxgamer, cherno and the like for analysis. As for 2023 games... majority won't wait for hypotheticals. People live the present - "what have you done for me lately" dilemma. Once hooked into the PS ecosystem, it's hard to break. Kinda mirrors why so many Xbox diehards refuse to let go. Hooked on the X360 glory days and that has been enough to endure the pain of 7 years of mediocrity. This was the wrong gen to lose - and this horrid launch by the competition is surely making it easy for Sony. There is always streaming sticks for the casuals.

DMC5 already had a thread. Unfortunately it was missing a good quality poll.

Last edited:

Fahdis

This thread is now the sole reason why I will skip consoles for the first time in my life and buy a PC, especially since the first page was about insecure babies fighting about their system. Also knowing full well both Xbox and Sony are going to go fully in on Steam soon enough.

New players meaning nxgamer, cherno and the like for analysis. As for 2023 games... majority won't wait for hypotheticals. People live the present - "what have you done for me lately" dilemma. Once hooked into the PS ecosystem, it's hard to break. Kinda mirrors why so many Xbox diehards refuse to let go. Hooked on the X360 glory days and that has been enough to endure the pain of 7 years of mediocrity. This was the wrong gen to lose - and this horrid launch by the competition is surely making it easy for Sony. There is always streaming sticks for the casuals.

DMC5 already had a thread. Unfortunately it was missing a good quality poll.

So you have no argument other than DMC5 having an RT patch on XsX, right.

I agree about being in the ecosystem. Sadly Sony have decided to eschew that by pretending your old games don't matter, yet, weirdly, selling you them again at a mark-up for a fresh coat of paint.

Seems like many will see the value of Game Pass and how MS let's you play all games, past and present, in it's ecosystem - without gouging on price - as a major deciding factor to move over to Xbox.

Perhaps a thread, poll inside, on free graphical upgrades vs €80 graphical upgrades to old games?

Last edited by a moderator:
So you have no argument other than DMC5 having an RT patch on XsX, right.

I agree about being in the ecosystem. Sadly Sony have decided to eschew that by pretending your old games don't matter, yet, weirdly, selling you them again at a mark-up for a fresh coat of paint.

Seems like many will see the value of Game Pass and how MS let's you play all games, past and present, in it's ecosystem - without gouging on price - as a major deciding factor to move over to Xbox.

Perhaps a thread, poll inside, on free graphical upgrades vs €80 graphical upgrades to old games?

There is no argument to be had here. Just pointing out documented facts. Everything sounds good in theory, and theoretical maxes are good for marketing but real-time performance is ultimately what matters with the software to showcase that (exclusives being the best at that for the most part). I think Sony is extremely well positioned on both fronts looking at their showpieces so far relative to the non-existent competition.

Clearly Sony spent considerable time getting BC done right as Cerny's Road to PS5 explained. Kinda funny the PS5 may end up with more BC games than XSX at launch.... what was it Jim said?... close to 4000 or so? Plus the 100 getting boosted Day One with more trickling in. Tables turn quick. Clearly Sony has a different focus of where to spend their marketing dollars and time. I believe new AAA exclusives and games should be the focus - and they seem to agree (not old games you can already play).

There is indeed value in digital rental services, like PSNow.... even OG's like Gamefly (better than both Gamepass and PSNow in my honest opinion). Shouldn't be the focus however. If you market to the budget gamer and create expectations of not buying games at $60 retail that's the sort of consumer you'll get - one that rarely buys games. Much less subsidize it....there is merit to loss-leader strategies but imo not in this case. Up to MS however, not me. I'm always wondering whether there is correlation between that and the splits between Xbox One and PS4 sales for games. Outside of shooters it's pretty crazy to look at some of the numbers.

Make the thread - it's fun.... get those jitters out of your system... be brave and bold.

Last edited:
I think Sony is extremely well positioned on both fronts looking at their showpieces so far relative to the non-existent competition.

No arguments here. I think PS5 is a serious piece of kit and I've always said there will be parity between the systems.

Clearly Sony spent considerable time getting BC done right as Cerny's road to PS5 can attest. Kinda funny Sony may end up with more BC games than Xbox at launch.... what was it Jim said... 4000 or so? Plus the 100 getting boosted Day One with more tricking in... tables turn quick.

Sadly leaving behind games from PS1-PS3 does little to further that narrative.

When you consider PS5 will play the inferior current gen titles, with PS4Pro caps, and XsX will play those of X1X with higher framerate and resolution targets - it's a quality over quantity issue for sure.

Clearly Sony has different focus of where to spend their marketing dollars and time.... new AAA exclusives and games should be the focus, not old games you can already play.

That's why MS now has 23 studios working on Xbox exclusive new games, many of them AAA.

All come to Game Pass, day in date, for free.

Shouldn't be the focus however.

On the contrary, value for money is paramount for a plurality of consumers.

buying games at $60 retail

£70, or nearly $90, for PS5 games actually.

There are of course advantages to the PS5. A faster SSD drive, their own exclusives, a superior digital console offering.

But let's not negate the benefits XsX has, such as Game Pass, their own exclusives, and BC.

Sadly leaving behind games from PS1-PS3 does little to further that narrative.

Many of the great Sony exclusive games got carried over and had remastered ports in collections and the like on PS4. Those will be BC too. It's unfortunate that Sony doesn't go back further than PS4 but not many gamers lose their sleep over those old games. Sales reflect that time and again. This gen was very clear on that.

When you consider PS5 will play the inferior current gen titles, with PS4Pro caps, and XsX will play those of X1X with higher framerate and resolution targets - it's a quality over quantity issue for sure.

Well I'm glad you say that. You need quality games worthy of replaying on BC. In that sense Sony does have many memorable PS4 exclusives people will want to go back to and replay. Which is why the PS Plus Collection is such great value. Specially for the millions that I believe will switch from the competition to PS5. We welcome Crapgamer, MBG, Mooch, Brap and the many many others to the PlayStation family. As I've been quoted before, we welcome all asylum seekers.

That's why MS now has 23 studios working on Xbox exclusive new games, many of them AAA.

All come to Game Pass, day in date, for free.

Gamepass ain't free. It's $120 now I believe for a year. Unless you game the system for the $1 trials, and basically abuse MS. I'm sure they don't feel it...

It's good that MS bought a distressed publisher and distressed developers. Industry layoffs and closures....aka less games output is not nice to see. I look forward to those games on PC.

On the contrary, value for money is paramount for a plurality of consumers.

Well consumers all have different tastes, and they all see value a little different. Some may value playing a great AAA blockbuster at $60 (or $70) than 200 old games and indies. Time is valuable after all. And ecosystems matter too.... maybe it's why something like Grounded does better on Steam at $30 than on Gamepass at $1 dollar. Sometimes not even "free" gets the job done.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Everyone can cherry pick screens,

Niq34rO.jpg

J2jA0BJ.jpg

Not bad for an unfinished open world game at 4k 60.

Or behold the power of PS5,

h0g1poj.jpg

It's easy to do.

Many of the great Sony exclusive games got carried over and had remastered ports in collections and the like on PS4. Those will be BC too. It's unfortunate that Sony doesn't go back further than PS4 but not many gamers lose their sleep over those old games. Sales reflect that time and again. This gen was very clear on that.

In fact, many gamers are apparently willing to pay €80 to rebuy those games with a fresh coat of paint. Demon's Souls is the perfect example of gouging the consumer.

Sony blocks you off from playing the game, but offers it with graphical upgrades at cost.

Meanwhile, MS takes games from the same gen and enhances them to 4k with 16x AF and HDR, like RDR1, FFXIII trilogy and Halo MCC - for free.

Sony get more money here, of course, but one has to wonder if the more pro-consummer offering from MS won't cause them poor WoM on this.

the millions that I believe will switch from the competition to PS5. We welcome Crapgamer, MBG, Mooch, Brap and the many many others to the PlayStation family. As I've been quoted before, we welcome all asylum seekers.

LOL

Gamepass ain't free. It's $120 now I believe for a year. Unless you game the system for the $1 trials, and basically abuse MS. I'm sure they don't feel it...

$120, assuming no trial rates, is still cheaper than two PS5 retail games.

Did you know new first party games come day in date to GP? And they just added EA Play for no extra cost?

I think you're missing out dude.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shmunter

In fact, many gamers are apparently willing to pay €80 to rebuy those games with a fresh coat of paint. Demon's Souls is the perfect example of gouging the consumer.

Sony blocks you off from playing the game, but offers it with graphical upgrades at cost.

Meanwhile, MS takes games from the same gen and enhances them to 4k with 16x AF and HDR, like RDR1, FFXIII trilogy and Halo MCC - for free.

Sony get more money here, of course, but one has to wonder if the more pro-consummer offering from MS won't cause them poor WoM on this.

LOL

Did you know new first party games come day in date to GP? And they just added EA Play for no extra cost?

Comparing a ‘remake’ like DS to BC enhancements is severely misguided.

Spider-Man ‘remastered’ is something I would consider gouging however.

You may call a remake gouging or whatever you fancy but many will buy a PS5 for that game alone instead of the competition. Maybe there is value in a great game... and you just fail to appreciate that with a narrow view. Specially considering that Demon Souls Remake is the best looking next-gen game on any system (including the Xbox Series X and PC).

I think MS and their fans would kill to have something similar to Demon Souls Remake - and happily pay the entry price while boasting about it online. Sadly they don't. Ryan McCaffrey seems to agree, as do many.

There is more than meets the eye to Spider-man Remastered too. The upgrade for $20 does include Ray-tracing, remastered assets etc. They could have done fans a service by offering it free but it wasn't owed considering the level of work. Spider-man is still part of the 100 boosted games so you'll get it upscaled and with higher framerate for free on BC. On the other hand you look at something like Gears 5, and it only has SSR + simple upscale using old techniques easy to implement. And to think many people, including Xbox fans thought and got their hopes up thinking Gears 5 was shipping with Raytracing. I think Microsoft didn't do right by their fans there considering the anemic launch.

What I'm simply saying here is that there is a difference in the level of work put in on the examples you brought. And thus perceived value by consumers is reflected.

You laugh but we may get Jez too....eventually. Hec even Dealer and Colt. The smart ones know where the wind is blowing and made their moves sooner. I don't think the RDX podcast wants to be talking about streaming sticks in the future. If there was a multi-million exodus from Xbox to PlayStation this current gen why would next-gen be any different? We're down to the very very very Xbox hardcore. The numbers have been trimmed. We're down to those old Sega holdouts that jumped from the Dreamcast to Xbox cause they hate Sony to the bone....... but they will eventually break. Microsoft is definitely helping in that regard with the crappy list of launch titles.

True. The question is, as you said yourself, quality over quantity.

Not missing out on anything of interest yet. Got Gears 5 when I needed it. Halo Infinite would have been my second scheduled dip on PC, but it was postponed. Seems like more endless wait for something worthy of my time.

Last edited:
a3a0578eee409a989a1d1ca35eee181b.jpg

On a serious note, why call me silly names and then say you see through me, see through what exactly?

I must say, this example proves a great deal, no issue with what you said at all. But, the thing is I started my channel and have always covered Multi-platform from PC and all consoles.

When the Series X news broke at the Game awards I jumped on a video:

Or Comparisons

Analysis

Even Retro stuff right from the start

The TLDR is I cover everything, evenly, fairly and factual on everything as much as possible. Recall I do this in my part time I am full time in another job and not dedicated to this like DF wo also have a team doing it. I am just the one guy and as such I cannot cover everything as I also have to buy most of my games, stuff etc.

Stop pitting them against us, I get really bored of it.

I'm sorry if I said anything that bothered you as that wasn't my intention. I really do like your content and your doing a great job with dealing with dealing with people here that disrespect you here.

As a general rule saying anything positive about a platform here is going to upset done people. Which is why I keep seeing people react this way to your video no matter which platform you cover. Im getting a little annoyed with this but unfortunately it's up to them to stop.

Keep up the great work.

longdi

Banned
Let's not be too confident shall we?
Next week, we get to know of Big Navi real game clocks. That will be a nice way to kick things off. :messenger_savoring:

a small victory bump for me.
as expected, the most conservative rumors and common sense prevail wrt to real game clocks :messenger_bicep:

Md Ray

Hitman 2 was 4k on Xbox vs 1440 on pro. So ps5 will most likely not run much better.

Expectation and reality are two different things. Unless of course you have Hitman 2 on Ps5 gameplay. We don't even know how Sony will handle bc exactly.

All Ps4 games after July are supposed to be able to run on Ps5. Hitman 2 released before that, so we don't even know if it'll get a boost at all.

It will be locked 60fps on PS5 at 1440p. From One X to Series X - the GPU's computational power is doubled (2.0x) but memory bandwidth isn't as Richard said in his Series X back-compat vid. 326 GB/s to 560 GB/s is a 1.7x (70%) uplift.

However, from PS4 Pro to PS5 - the GPU's compute is more than doubled (nearly 2.5x) and bandwidth is doubled (2.05x, 105%) uplift. So expect at least twice the frame-rate of PS4 Pro on PS5 in HM2 using PS5's boost mode.

Those first two posts didn't age well.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I read this as the PS5 is holding the Xbox version back

Md Ray

Actually they did. XSX runs at 4k while ps5 doesn't. You can play it at the same res mode as Ps5 and have locked 60fps. Should actually read before jumping to conclusions 🤣🤣
Nope. Your statement was that PS5 will not run much better despite running at Pro's 1440p res. :lollipop_tears_of_joy::lollipop_tears_of_joy: I knew it would be locked 60fps. Don't know what prompted you to say "it won't likely run much better".

Concern

Nope. Your statement was that PS5 will not run much better despite running at Pro's 1440p res. :lollipop_tears_of_joy::lollipop_tears_of_joy: I knew it would be locked 60fps. Don't know what prompted you to say "it won't likely run much better".

Parity has been my suggestion. Xsx runs locked 60fps at 1440p. Ps5 is running dynamic 1440p and res has to drop to maintain 60fps iirc. So not really something I'd be bragging about. Native 4k with a couple drops isn't so bad considering its at double the resolution.

Its not a good look if these are the types of "wins" you guys are grasping for, just to justify your purchase 🤦🏻‍♂️. All this just reaffirms my decision to wait before upgrading my consoles.

Md Ray

Parity has been my suggestion. Xsx runs locked 60fps at 1440p. Ps5 is running dynamic 1440p and res has to drop to maintain 60fps iirc. So not really something I'd be bragging about. Native 4k with a couple drops isn't so bad considering its at double the resolution.

Its not a good look if these are the types of "wins" you guys are grasping for, just to justify your purchase 🤦🏻‍♂️. All this just reaffirms my decision to wait before upgrading my consoles.
There's no dynamic res in Hitman & HM2. Also not bragging just pointing out how you suggested that since XSX had frame-rate dips at native 4K, PS5 will also have dips below 60fps but at 1440p. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Concern

There's no dynamic res in Hitman & HM2. Also not bragging just pointing out how you suggested that since XSX had frame-rate dips at native 4K, PS5 will also have dips below 60fps but at 1440p. 🤷🏻‍♂️

As I said, i expected parity but Ps5 is running at half the resolution instead. Similar situation as X/pro where one went with higher res while the other didn't for a smoother framerate.

As I said, i expected parity but Ps5 is running at half the resolution instead. Similar situation as X/pro where one went with higher res while the other didn't for a smoother framerate.
Well it's good to have options isn't it? I'm not sure I'm interested in this game I might give it a try if it gets good enough reviews simply because it's nice to have a racing game on a new console. From my experience frame rate matters more than resolution in a racing game, but if you ask me frame rate is always King. That said I did buy a 4K TV for this generation and I expect to get some kind of use out of it.

Larvana

Has its been stated PS5 needs to lower resolution for that stable frame rate, xbox series x not so much lol.

The FUD about Series S in next gen specs thread is on another level. 🤮🤢

Makes one think, these guys are not comfortable with xbox winning the power narrative. And my small little console is getting bashed because of their hurt feelings.

I am rooting for the little guy. 👿

Should I count demon souls, spiderman ? 😂 Buddy I am 23, i am beyond my teenage years, stop with these me you back and forth. Go enjoy your exclusives man.
The wisdom of the elder... What a sight to behold, my sweet summerchild. 😉

So you're implying here that Microsoft offering Demons Souls type remasters for free? GTFO, brother.

Last edited:

Romulus

LOL

Well yeah, there's a reason why Xbox is offering a better value then Sony.

They're forced to. It almost makes me scratch my head how they're able to do things financially on the cheap. And you can spell out that value as plain as day and they'll still get destroyed in sales.

Even at $400, and 50 free games a year, the XSX would still have to fight tooth and nail against ps5. And everyone knows it.

Last edited:

Md Ray

Has its been stated PS5 needs to lower resolution for that stable frame rate, xbox series x not so much lol.
It's not 1440p due to PS5. Simple research would have let you know that PS5 is running the PS4 Pro version which was coded to run at 1440p in 2017.

Thirty7ven

Banned

Meanwhile, MS takes games from the same gen and enhances them to 4k with 16x AF and HDR, like RDR1, FFXIII trilogy and Halo MCC - for free

Imagine comparing Demons Souls remake with what Xbox BC is doing to 360 games.

All Xbox gamers care about is free shit and cheap stuff, no wonder the attach ratio is below par and the top 10 is a shooter fest.

You should have higher standards, but I guess MS is thankful you don’t.

supernova8

Banned
back in 2013 we were hearing how the PS4 was mopping the floor with the One, and the power difference was gigantic by comparison. The results were some differences in resolution, but not a deal breaker for Xbox owners.

this time the power gap is marginal.

"slightly less work"

we're not gonna see or hear shit.

As long as it can hit 60fps on both devices, I don't know if I'd notice the difference between 1800p and 4K when in motion. If it's 60fps on one device and like 40fps on the other then that would be much more noticeable.

So what is this deal they got with MS?
Deal? Let's think about it, PC/Xbox both have Windows and Direct X 12U and a simple unified platform compatible with a multitude of devices.

PS5 is based on something else.

That doesn't mean PS5 is better or worse, it just means the Xbox platform is more flexible.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Imagine comparing Demons Souls remake with what Xbox BC is doing to 360 games.

All Xbox gamers care about is free shit and cheap stuff, no wonder the attach ratio is below par and the top 10 is a shooter fest.

You should have higher standards, but I guess MS is thankful you don’t.
Better that than wasteful resources on a game that did not need a remaster when proper BC would do it see ninja gaiden. When there is 1000s of ps1 and ,ps2 games that are actually worthy of the resources. Free being able to play the games I already own better is sweet and not free I purchased those games.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Wut? I said 'over the gen'. We have at least a year to go for development to stablise and mature, not to mention 3 more to flourish (till mid-gen Pro refreshes).

Can we know which date you marked in your Phil Spencer 2020 calendar as the day Xbox reaches its full power?

Top Bottom