• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 5: Digital Foundry Console Comparison - PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X/Series S + Performance - Every Game Mode Tested

ethomaz

Banned
This has to be a bug from the unified dev environment.
The wrong preset settings were loaded because thats a stark stark difference that couldnt be accounted for even with dev environment bottlenecks.

You just forgot what Forza 4 looked like (and at what Res) which is why you think this looks like a mobile game.
Im assuming you are agreeing with Chernos outlook on the game if not be more clear with your posts.
What video Cherno exactly watched?

IMO I really don’t see anything that looks better than PS4/XB1 racing games... the opposite Dirt 5 seems to have worst graphics than Forzas on Xbox One and GTS/DriveClub.

kuncol02

Banned
At this point it is clear that MS API fucking suck.
They need to put engineering departments of the studios the bought to work on DX12 n bringing it INTO SHAPE.
There are clearly CPU problems on XBox. Every CPU bound scenario has abysmal performance (even when other modes are better than PS5 like in DMC5). That drops cannot be explained by hardware differences especially that XBox CPU is in theory faster than PS5 one. Even with PS5 optimizations like offloading IO it should be around same speed.

That would explain all that:

Xbox and Phil Spencer should have delayed the launch of the two consoles as both are underperforming massively and its looking terrible for them.

I'm seriously wondering if there's something in the hardware that's causing this. I can understand API problems causing some issues but so many of them?

And in Microsofts defense they probably released the consoles during the holidays because they didn't want to give Sony a head start. Just allowing Sony to have the market to themselves for an entire year would be very bad for Microsoft. I believe they made the right decision releasing the systems.

At this point it is clear that MS API fucking suck.
They need to put engineering departments of the studios the bought to work on DX12 n bringing it INTO SHAPE.

It's Sega Rally 2 on Windows CE all over again, remember?

SEGA-Rally-2-box.jpg

Fake

DF saying is a bug, but if I could guess they're using the Series S code on Series X due to the time for making the game. Just my take on this.

Will be probably get fixed, so no worries.

Will put the thread on ignore now.

lol

ethomaz

Banned
So basically the same between PS5 and Series X, outside the 120hz bug.

Series S is...well...not great, must admit.

PS5 absolutely the definitive place to play the game, thanks to the controller.

Will put the thread on ignore now.
If you ignore resolution, AF and textures in the others modes yeap it looks basically the “same”.

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
*Image quality mode
■Ce mode focuses on improving the details of the world.
■Les shadows in high res, ambient occlusion, display distance.
■Toutes versions target 4K in dynamic. So from 1440p to 2160p.
■La S series reaches 1440p but mainly 1080p or much less.
■La PS5 version has a medium resolution and higher texture filtering.

*Resolution mode
■Cible the 4K and most often comes close to this resolution.
■La S series is most often in 1080p.
■Les details like ambient occlusion, shadows... etc. are lower than the image quality mode.
■La S series has other cut areas such as amount of grass.

*Performance mode
■Cible the 120Hz with dynamic scaling.
■900p at 1440p on average on PS5 & Series X.
■570p for Series S.
■Le level of detail on PS5 is much higher than the two Xbox versions in this mode.
■Les car details, geometric details, grass, tessellation, environmental geometry take a big hit on Xbox consoles.
■DF thinks this may be a bug. They've been told that developers are looking into it.

*Image quality mode
■Ce mode focuses on improving the details of the world.
■Les shadows in high res, ambient occlusion, display distance.
■Toutes versions target 4K in dynamic. So from 1440p to 2160p.
■La S series reaches 1440p but mainly 1080p or much less.
■La PS5 version has a medium resolution and higher texture filtering.

*Resolution mode
■Cible the 4K and most often comes close to this resolution.
■La S series is most often in 1080p.
■Les details like ambient occlusion, shadows... etc. are lower than the image quality mode.
■La S series has other cut areas such as amount of grass.

*Performance mode
■Cible the 120Hz with dynamic scaling.
■900p at 1440p on average on PS5 & Series X.
■570p for Series S.
■Le level of detail on PS5 is much higher than the two Xbox versions in this mode.
■Les car details, geometric details, grass, tessellation, environmental geometry take a big hit on Xbox consoles.
■DF thinks this may be a bug. They've been told that developers are looking into it.
La what.

skneogaf

Resolution modes are unnecessary in my eyes as image quality mode always looks better and is very close to what the native resolution mode puts out anyway.

Soo I'm my eyes on console versions get rid of frame rate mode as next generation consoles are too weak for 120hz and get rid of native resolution mode as its pointless.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
What video Cherno exactly watched?

IMO I really don’t see anything that looks better than PS4/XB1 racing games... the opposite Dirt 5 seems to have worst graphics than Forzas on Xbox One and GTS/DriveClub.
His Dirt 5 video obviously?

You said Forza 4, an X360 game(the best Forza game btw) but this is what Forza 4 looked like.
Forza_4_env2.bmp.jpg

As I said you just forgot what that game looked like and at what resolution because at the time 720p60 was super fine.

And yet, the performance isn't improving as much as it should even running with lower quality, right?

It cant go above 120 so what improvement were you expecting exactly?

oldergamer

Im curious about what they said sony is doing with torn frames. They said that ps5 is adding in duplicate frames after torn frames? How does this improve visual quality? How does that affect the frame counting?

Is this happening on other games too?

Self

This has to be a bug from the unified dev environment.
The wrong preset settings were loaded because thats a stark stark difference that couldnt be accounted for even with dev environment bottlenecks.

I think so too, must be a bug. But it tears even in that mode.

Im curious about what they said sony is doing with torn frames. They said that ps5 is adding in duplicate frames after torn frames? How does this improve visual quality? How does that affect the frame counting?

Is this happening on other games too?

You ever played Bloodborne?

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Resolution modes are unnecessary in my eyes as image quality mode always looks better and is very close to what the native resolution mode puts out anyway.

Soo I'm my eyes on console versions get rid of frame rate mode as next generation consoles are too weak for 120hz and get rid of native resolution mode as its pointless.

There's no reason to get rid of them; extra options don't hurt.

Another bad AF situation. As to those headlights, that's clearly an LOD bug indeed. Anyway it does seem to have the best version on PS5.

oldergamer

This is definitely the biggest win so far for ps5 as the series x version looks broken without anisotropic filtering and texture details.

The 120fps mode of ps5 though looks awful.

So again both versions have plus points and minus points.

Ps5 needs vrr.

120fps modes on these "next generation" consoles are garbage in comparison to how I've been playing 120fps games on my high powered pc.

Xbox and Phil Spencer should have delayed the launch of the two consoles as both are underperforming massively and its looking terrible for them.

If the improved api or whatever some are saying doesn't come out soon then its over for Phil Spencer.
Dude these are launch titles. Launch titles are never the most optimized games.

geordiemp

Unfortunate bug, hopefully be fixed soon.

How about PS5 framerate tanking to the low 90's though, in 120hz mode it gets outperformed by both Series X and S, I saw as low as 91fps in that one race, shocking drops and with no VRR would make the game unplayable.

Maybe devs will make ps5 render in lego mode so it can then beat xsx frame rate ?

When ps5 and XSX are rendering the same thing, ps5 is more powerful.

Screenshot-20201121-150037.png

Xdrive05

Yeah, no, that’s not a bug. That’s “optimization” to get the XSX to run at those frames, that they didn’t need to do for PS5 to run at those frames.

“Oh look an entire rendering mode is running last gen settings. Bob forgot to carry a 1. Oh well let’s ship it.”

I hate to be that guy, but this sounds like DF carrying water for Microsoft.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
The Series S is a joke of a console, dropping below 1080p on launch titles? Imagine when more graphically demanding games start being produced. Microsoft should've release a digital X instead.

They needed a SKU that they could price at $299; a more powerful SKU would have been too expensive. The Series S is literally the best that they could do for their targeted price point.

Top Bottom