• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 5: Digital Foundry Console Comparison - PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X/Series S + Performance - Every Game Mode Tested

paypay88

Banned
Series S look dogshit

1605971075895.jpg

Quixz

Shameless stole from chandoog on ERA.

TL;DW

- Only covering 'next-gen' versions. PS5 Series S|X
- "Bug" in SDR mode which may make PS5 look darker, developers are looking into it.
- Game has 3 modes. Image Quality Mode, Resolution Mode, Performance Mode.

- Image Quality Mode
- Focused on boosting world detail.
- Higher rez shadow, AO, draw distance.
- All versions target 4K but w/ dynamic scaling. 1440p to 4K
- Series S tops out at 1440p but mostly 1080p or below.
- PS5 has higher average resolution and texture filtering.
- Targets 60 FPS and PS5|Series X mostly deliver.
- Both tear a bit, VRR solves Xbox issue.
- Series S the worst of the 3 but not that bad.

- Resolution Mode
- Targets 4K and sticks close to it most often.
- Series S still mostly sticks to 1080p range.
- Details like AO, Shadows etc lower than Image Quality mode.
- Series S has other cut backs like grass levels.
- All 3 consoles give the best performance in this mode. Very stable with very minor slowdown.
- Series S is the slowest of the 3, but very minor difference.

- Frame Rate / Performance Mode
- Targets 120hz w/ dynamic scaling.
- 900p to 1440p avg on PS5/Series X
- Series S as low as 570p.
- Detail level on PS5 is significantly higher than both Xbox versions in this mode
- Cars detail, geometric detail, grass, tessellation, environmental geometry takes a big hit on Xbox consoles.
- DF theorizes this is likely a bug. They have been told the developers are looking into it.
- Feels very very smooth. Series S fares the worst of the 3, but again not by that much.
- 120hz mode is very smooth by and large, PS5 has performance dips on a specific type of track.
- XB Series X feels the smoothest here additionally thanks to VRR

Nicely done. Thank

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Yeah, no, that’s not a bug. That’s “optimization” to get the XSX to run at those frames, that they didn’t need to do for PS5 to run at those frames.

“Oh look an entire rendering mode is running last gen settings. Bob forgot to carry a 1. Oh well let’s ship it.”

I hate to be that guy, but this sounds like DF carrying water for Microsoft.

I disagree; it's got to be a software issue, because the power is there in the hardware. 52 CUs @ 12 teraflops should handle this game at least as well as the PS5 when the XSX's bottlenecks are taken into account - if not better.

Riky

$MSFT
Maybe devs will make ps5 render in lego mode so it can then beat xsx frame rate ?

When ps5 and XSX are rendering the same thing, ps5 is more powerful.

Screenshot-20201121-150037.png

It's a bug, what isn't is the fact PS5 can't handle the 120hz mode, it tanks really hard and has no VRR, that makes it unplayable even compared to Series S.

Small GPU just can't cut it, dropping a quarter of frames with tearing. Like they say Series X, 120fps and VRR you get a perfect game, the way it should be.

geordiemp

It's a bug, what isn't is the fact PS5 can't handle the 120hz mode, it tanks really hard and has no VRR, that makes it unplayable even compared to Series S.

Small GPU just can't cut it, dropping a quarter of frames with tearing. Like they say Series X, 120fps and VRR you get a perfect game, the way it should be.

Not everyone is going to buy a new 2.1 TV for consoles, so that is a fail. May as well buy a pC.

You realise that everytime someone says you need a new TV to enjoy the game on XSX, that is a massive loss in marketing and adoption. So keep it up, there is a good chap.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
His Dirt 5 video obviously?

You said Forza 4, an X360 game(the best Forza game btw) but this is what Forza 4 looked like.
Forza_4_env2.bmp.jpg

As I said you just forgot what that game looked like and at what resolution because at the time 720p60 was super fine.

It cant go above 120 so what improvement were you expecting exactly?
That is Forza 4 bro.

Shakka43

They needed a SKU that they could price at $299; a more powerful SKU would have been too expensive. The Series S is literally the best that they could do for their targeted price point.
A digital X for $400 would have been a sweeter deal, even if that meant taking a bigger lost per sale by Microsoft. Supporting this S console for the next 6 years is gonna be a bitch for game developers.

Riky

$MSFT
Not everyone is going to buy a new 2.1 TV for consoles, so that is a fail. May as well buy a pC.

You realise that everytime someone says you need a new TV to enjoy the game on XSX, that is a massive loss in marketing and adoption. So keep it up, there is a good chap.

You don't, on this game the Series X and Series S hold the 120fps nicely, the PS5 tanks down to the low 90's. That is going to affect gameplay in a big way.

GreyHand23

You don't, on this game the Series X and Series S hold the 120fps nicely, the PS5 tanks down to the low 90's. That is going to affect gameplay in a big way.

They said they couldn’t measure Series X and Series S frame rate on 120 FPS mode so that’s not true. The PS5 frame rate mode looks significantly better and holds stable 120 FPS more than 90% of the time. It just dips on isolated tracks.

Riky

$MSFT
They said they couldn’t measure Series X and Series S frame rate on 120 FPS mode so that’s not true. The PS5 frame rate mode looks significantly better and holds stable 120 FPS more than 90% of the time. It just dips on isolated tracks.

They said Xbox holds it well, the PS5 doesn't, low 90s in that video. That will be some series judder and ruins gameplay. No VRR so you're stuck with it, PS5 just can't cut it.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
That is Forza 4 bro.

Sometimes I wonder about your mental capacity man.

Please become a serious person else I legit will have to just place you on the ignore list, you stress me out because I start thinking its me going crazy.

This is what you posted:
I watched it and it looks no better than GT6 or Forza 4... and let’s not even compare with Forzas for Xbox One or GTS/DriveClub.

So I showed you what Forza 4 looks like because im assuming you just forgot what Forza 4 actually looked like. and you telling me Dirt 5 looks worse than that.....counting the resolution, shader quality, aliasing and model detail?

damn that 120hz bug on SX! :messenger_weary::messenger_ok:
I want news outlet to start putting pressure on Phil. Get that devtools out fast.
MS has shown of late, they are responsive, not afraid to make hard decisions.

Could be an honest mistake from Codemasters. I think they're mistakenly using XSS settings on the XSX.

Topher

Gold Member

The XSX version in that mode has lower detail than the PS5 version. Linneman says this lower detail benefits XSX performance. He also says this lower detail is probably a bug. So I would expect, based on all that, XSX performance to decrease once the bug is ironed out and the additional details added back in. The performance issues for PS5 also only apply to certain tracks. They say 90% run fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom