• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 5: Digital Foundry Console Comparison - PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X/Series S + Performance - Every Game Mode Tested

sircaw

Banned
I finally managed to watch the entire digital foundry video last night and yer, Df is really being nice to them at xbox.

There were sections in that video that were not criticised enough, i remember videos a year or two back, where they said things like this is quite unacceptable when games were dipping to 55 range fps on a constant loop but now suddenly it's all ok, it don't matter. The standard should not change, if it did not feel good to play like that a year ago, it should not be given a pass, its still going to feel shit.

Then the excuses, i know covid is a terrible thing and it affected places all over the world, but they keep using it like Sony were immune to it or something.

I like their work but they are really going easy on xbox, this is a 12 tflop machine being outdone by a 10-2 machine.
Richard went on and on about the power of it and used words like its remarkable, its incredible, now after some average tests, he is kinda yer, its fine now. Really poor from him.

and i wish they would stop saying, don't worry if you have a tv that supports this function bla bla bla, most people that buy consoles are not super-rich and can not afford TVs in that range price they are talking about.

All in all very poor, did people see the analysis and effort that NXGamer NXGamer put in, for a one-man guy that works fucking part-time, these guys really are not premier in my opinion anymore,

I don't see how any genuine gamer takes joy in that type of thinking or perspective, personally, but maybe that's because I've grown up on a variety of console brands and don't attach my identity so tightly with a piece of plastic sporting a logo from a corporate brand.
Hold your horses. Don’t take the moral high ground just yet. I absolutely feel joy out of the current situation. Not because XSX flopped. simply because I was one of the few people who were right about multiplats performance. Ofc I’m happy about it. Xbox version, though very much inferior, still should be fun to play. So I don’t think anyone is losing here. But I have every reason to be happy.

the SMT thing you brought up doesn’t make sense. Because if it is true, should it also be true for ps5? nah, there is no point getting into the details. believe what you want to believe.

-Arcadia-

Banned
FYI guys, the criticism is light, because of... well, how you all react every time. All sides.

Jon tweeted a couple of days ago while talking about the Dirt video that he was stressed for other reasons, as well as watching and coaching every word in the script to not upset people. That seemed to be the context I divined — you can check it yourself with how recent it is.

Should he not let audience opinions affect him so much? Absolutely. But he does, and now we’re getting super P.C. friendly DFs, instead of his straight opinion, because of it. Good job.

Can’t wait for the Nintendo analysis where he gives everyone a virtual hug before saying it runs in 400p.

Last edited:
I finally managed to watch the entire digital foundry video last night and yer, Df is really being nice to them at xbox.

There were sections in that video that were not criticised enough, i remember videos a year or two back, where they said things like this is quite unacceptable when games were dipping to 55 range fps on a constant loop but now suddenly it's all ok, it don't matter. The standard should not change, if it did not feel good to play like that a year ago, it should not be given a pass, its still going to feel shit.

Then the excuses, i know covid is a terrible thing and it affected places all over the world, but they keep using it like Sony were immune to it or something.

I like their work but they are really going easy on xbox, this is a 12 tflop machine being outdone by a 10-2 machine.
Richard went on and on about the power of it and used words like its remarkable, its incredible, now after some average tests, he is kinda yer, its fine now. Really poor from him.

and i wish they would stop saying, don't worry if you have a tv that supports this function bla bla bla, most people that buy consoles are not super-rich and can not afford TVs in that range price they are talking about.

All in all very poor, did people see the analysis and effort that NXGamer NXGamer put in, for a one-man guy that works fucking part-time, these guys really are not premier in my opinion anymore,
ya. And for the sake of the gaming industry, people should be critical about MS, about its whole marketing campaign, about its prepare for the new generation, instead of trying find straws out of no where to defend a corporation who failed to deliver.

(see I’m now taking the high ground)

edit: auto correct fail

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
ya. And for the sake of the gaming industry, people should be critical about MS, about its whole marketing comparing, about its prepare for the new generation, instead of trying find straws out of now where to defend a corporation who failed to deliver.

(see I’m now taking the high ground)

yep, there whole marketing speel needs to change, they are the ones setting up this power narrative with the world most powerful console all the time and plays best on this bla bla bla.

Can they not just move away from that crap, concentrate on gaming, quality and for the love of god stop associating with fanboys on podcasts that are TOXIC.

Just be a better gaming company.

I mean the other day, i think i saw a tweet with Greenburg saying , silky smooth on assassins creed. This shit needs to stop, they need to be better.

BiotypE

Neo Member
Boy, all these recent face offs between Series S/X and PS5 are astonishing. I wonder how the people who specifically bought a Series X "because multi plats will run best on Xbox" feel now ...

I'm a bit underwhelmed at the moment with these face offs having purchased a SX. There is a lot of hyperbole being thrown around in here, the system is awesome. I'll be picking up a ps5 when I can get my hands on one as well. I do think this is most likely an immature tools issue. You go play Gears 5 enhanced which is one of the best looking games I have played and it runs like butter. Some of these early games just are not optimized on either console. I expect for this to get ironed out in the near future.

NinjaBoiX

Is VRR something Sony can implement via firmware? Or would the have to wait for a mid-gen refresh?

Seems like some pretty important tech...

Zghia

4nblit.jpg

this is pure gold !

dont worry xbots, you can always count on the power of Xcloud which is generated from your xbox

Hold your horses. Don’t take the moral high ground just yet. I absolutely feel joy out of the current situation. Not because XSX flopped. simply because I was one of the few people who were right about multiplats performance. Ofc I’m happy about it. Xbox version, though very much inferior, still should be fun to play. So I don’t think anyone is losing here. But I have every reason to be happy.

the SMT thing you brought up doesn’t make sense. Because if it is true, should it also be true for ps5? nah, there is no point getting into the details. believe what you want to believe.

PS5 does not have a SMT Off feature for its CPU; SMT is always enabled, so the high-limit clock of the CPU (3.5 GHz) is always there and that's with 16 threads available.

Seeing that there are scenarios where the Series X version is maintaining higher framerates in 120 FPS mode, since the framerates would be CPU-bound as the CPU issues the drawcalls to the GPU, then there's a chance SMT Off mode might be getting used for the game on Series X and Series S platforms, but this is just speculation.

It's not that COVID didn't affect Sony; it certainly did. However, Sony most likely started their next-gen development/engineering earlier than MS, if they were less reliant on certain RDNA2 features being finalized since they'd be going with their own custom implementations analogous to those features, as is usually suggested. There is still also the (slight) proof they may've considered a 2019 launch, though that looks to be a bit less likely in hindsight considering no updated versions of TLOU2 or GoT are present on PS5, neither of those games were ready for 2019, and I doubt Sony'd want to release those games in 2020 (after a 2019 PS5 launch) on PS4 with no actual next-gen upgrades on PS5. Considering the timeliness of Miles Morales editions on PS5 and PS4, lack of any equivalents for TLOU2 or GoT kind of suggests 2019 might not've been in the cards for PS5 launch after all.

At the end of the day, places like DF (and NX Gamer, etc.) are professionals; they aren't going to become slovenly fanboys and outright trash a platform, say it sucks ass, is worthless etc. just because it's underperforming in a few 3P cross-gen launch titles. No one with a brain passes permanent judgement on a console's capabilities after a literal week, it seems a lot of people's perspectives around here have become skewed, probably influenced too much from the quickness and instant gratification of social media.

It's a bit more telling that people want to seemingly pit people like John, Richard, Alex etc. against other solid analysis folks like NX Gamer; you don't need to be limited in your scope, there's more than enough room for all of these guys to coexist as game performance analyzers. The more, the merrier, since that in turn means more potential points to cross-reference and dig deeper into what these games are or aren't doing.

We've got to stop trying to call for DF's blood every time they do a comparison analysis because we don't feel like they bodied one piece of plastic enough; all of these analysis guys, they certainly want to specify where things are strong or weak in, but they aren't really interested in completely trashing one console or another, even if some performance is sub-optimal. Especially considering this is launch period, it is imperative we give the consoles some time to breath, and none of this invalidates the reality that, yes, MS is most definitely suffering from a perception problem that could become really bad for them if things aren't improved on their end. But that is a different conversation for another time.

Ah ok, so it’s not some licensing issue, they just haven’t implemented it yet? Similar to 1440p support?

Pull your finger out lads!

Didn't Sony themselves say that it was coming? They never promised 1440P support to my knowledge.

“PS5 hardware supports VRR through HDMI 2.1,” the PlayStation Blog explains. “After a future system software update, PS5 owners will be able to use the VRR feature of compatible TVs when playing games that support VRR.”

Last edited:

Lysandros

This feels like the 360 vs PS3 all over again. Except this time it's the PS5 on top.
Except that PS3's 'exotic' CELL had true 'hidden power' it took several years for third party developers to use it to a decent degree. There is nothing remotely equivalent in complexity in XSX. 16 more CU's don't magically make it 'PS3 like', XSX isn't even more powerful than PS5 based on paper specs contrary to PS3/X360 situation.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
FYI guys, the criticism is light, because of... well, how you all react every time. All sides.

Jon tweeted a couple of days ago while talking about the Dirt video that he was stressed for other reasons, as well as watching and coaching every word in the script to not upset people. That seemed to be the context I divined — you can check it yourself with how recent it is.

Should he not let audience opinions affect him so much? Absolutely. But he does, and now we’re getting super P.C. friendly DFs, instead of his straight opinion, because of it. Good job.

Can’t wait for the Nintendo analysis where he gives everyone a virtual hug before saying it runs in 400p.

Jon should have less soy in his diet. They are youtubers, they make money from reactions. If those reactions hurt his feelings too much maybe he should do something else. If they are going to try to make videos from now on so Jon doesn't get upset, their views will just go down. Doubt they want that.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
PS5 does not have a SMT Off feature for its CPU; SMT is always enabled, so the high-limit clock of the CPU (3.5 GHz) is always there and that's with 16 threads available.

Seeing that there are scenarios where the Series X version is maintaining higher framerates in 120 FPS mode, since the framerates would be CPU-bound as the CPU issues the drawcalls to the GPU, then there's a chance SMT Off mode might be getting used for the game on Series X and Series S platforms, but this is just speculation.

It's not that COVID didn't affect Sony; it certainly did. However, Sony most likely started their next-gen development/engineering earlier than MS, if they were less reliant on certain RDNA2 features being finalized since they'd be going with their own custom implementations analogous to those features, as is usually suggested. There is still also the (slight) proof they may've considered a 2019 launch, though that looks to be a bit less likely in hindsight considering no updated versions of TLOU2 or GoT are present on PS5, neither of those games were ready for 2019, and I doubt Sony'd want to release those games in 2020 (after a 2019 PS5 launch) on PS4 with no actual next-gen upgrades on PS5. Considering the timeliness of Miles Morales editions on PS5 and PS4, lack of any equivalents for TLOU2 or GoT kind of suggests 2019 might not've been in the cards for PS5 launch after all.

At the end of the day, places like DF (and NX Gamer, etc.) are professionals; they aren't going to become slovenly fanboys and outright trash a platform, say it sucks ass, is worthless etc. just because it's underperforming in a few 3P cross-gen launch titles. No one with a brain passes permanent judgement on a console's capabilities after a literal week, it seems a lot of people's perspectives around here have become skewed, probably influenced too much from the quickness and instant gratification of social media.

It's a bit more telling that people want to seemingly pit people like John, Richard, Alex etc. against other solid analysis folks like NX Gamer; you don't need to be limited in your scope, there's more than enough room for all of these guys to coexist as game performance analyzers. The more, the merrier, since that in turn means more potential points to cross-reference and dig deeper into what these games are or aren't doing.

We've got to stop trying to call for DF's blood every time they do a comparison analysis because we don't feel like they bodied one piece of plastic enough; all of these analysis guys, they certainly want to specify where things are strong or weak in, but they aren't really interested in completely trashing one console or another, even if some performance is sub-optimal. Especially considering this is launch period, it is imperative we give the consoles some time to breath, and none of this invalidates the reality that, yes, MS is most definitely suffering from a perception problem that could become really bad for them if things aren't improved on their end. But that is a different conversation for another time.
Microsoft literally announced the console two and a half years ago at e3 2018. How can the tools be behind still?

Vae_Victis

Banned

Oof the whole tools DC is falling apart

00cuNwL.jpg

BTjinTv.jpg

"Never worked on a console where ... the tools have been this mature, this stable, this easy to work with"

I guess we will move full scale into bugs?
For some people, the Brand cannot be questioned. What the Brand claims is always true, and if reality and evidence contraddict the Brand, then reality and evidence must be rejected in any way.

The mere thought of the Brand being less than perfect and infallible cannot be entertained.

It's not the devkits and bugs because there is any evidence of it. It's those two because it CANNOT be Xbox. Those two don't really mean anything, they can be thrown out and replaced with a different unproven excuse at a moment's notice - and they will be. They are just an automatic stand-in for "it's not a problem with Xbox".

The people here whose rational mind and attachment to reality are stronger than their blind brand loyalty are snapping out of it and beginning to realize that empty rethoric doesn't cut it anymore, and are looking for actual answers. The rest drank soo much cool-aid that they will start looking more and more like MisterXMedia, TimDog and the like, because that is what the terminal stage of this fanaticism is: full detachment from reality.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Except that PS3's 'exotic' CELL had true 'hidden power' it took several years for third party developers to use it to a decent degree. There is nothing remotely equivalent in complexity in XSX. 16 more CU's don't magically make it 'PS3 like', XSX isn't even more powerful than PS5 based on paper specs contrary to PS3/X360 situation.
Well the PS3 was said to be more powerful, yet the multiplat games looked better on 360. Now the SX is said to be more powerful but the multiplat games look better on PS5. So to me looks like the roles reversed.

Oof the whole tools DC is falling apart

00cuNwL.jpg

BTjinTv.jpg

"Never worked on a console where ... the tools have been this mature, this stable, this easy to work with"

I guess we will move full scale into bugs?

That's pretty categorical.

I think 'the tools are behind Sony's' was always a completely spurious defence but it was fuelled by that screenshot of DF's John Lineman saying in a message 'according to our sources Xbox tools are behind Sony's'.

So either, that message is not real or worse, DF are damage controlling hard for Xbox. As this couldnt be more clear, alongside the other denial of late tools by the technical director. Now, of course other source/s could have told DF GDK is behind Sony's SDK enough to affect development, but this clearly goes against all reason imo because the feeling leading up to launch was XsX software preparedness was ahead of Sony, first party incompetence aside. I'm sure I also read PR of how seamless and easy the transition to GDK has been. Add to that fact devs have been bedded in for literally years with DX12-based tools, and it doesn't wash at all.

Last edited:

FranXico

Well the PS3 was said to be more powerful, yet the multiplat games looked better on 360. Now the SX is said to be more powerful but the multiplat games look better on PS5. So to me looks like the roles reversed.
Well, when Bayonetta was running at 30fps on the PS3, Richard never said "devs still need to get used to the Cell", let alone dismiss any glaring differences as a bug. Not to mention, how ridiculous it would have been for him to say "but the fact that the PS3 has a Blu-Ray player and the Xbox 360 doesn't". In fact, he always mentioned the PS3 "limitations" throughout that entire generation.

There are some obvious double standards at play here.

Self

It’s probably less nefarious than that. I think they are simply treating the matter with kid gloves. Being full scathing will piss of Xbox fans and they will tune out from DF.

DF doesn’t want to cannibalise their audience.

Nothing wrong with this approach in my opinion. Professionals should not behave in a console warring manner.
They certainly use the silk gloves for this comparisons, but honestly... Sony fans wouldn't mind if the roles were reversed - and they might get.
The Xbox versions are mostly inferior at the moment, but they are far, far away from considering them bad.
They are actually pretty decent.

Rougan

Neo Member
YouTube's compression is trash. I was more curious about how the game looked so I was happy when I saw "4K" under the thumbnail, instead I got a 1080p that looks like 480p.

Last edited:

geordiemp

I dont think its CPU at all, when we see shadows, alphas and other effects dipping XSX rates in a few games, especially Valhalla, and then you look at PC frame rates at low graphic settings the CPU can blast through it. Zen2 will noy beak sweat on Valhalla at 60 FPS.

Ps5 has the new Geometry engine, we dont know what it is except Cerny talks allot about primatives, culling and full control but you dont need to specfically program for it in road to ps5.....mmmmm.

What we dont know is if the Ps5 api and GE is packing together vertices to process like primitives on the fly, this would give big performance boosts.

ON B3D in the AMD graphics thread there is allot of speculation talk about 6800 XT doing this to some effect and its using DX12U. So it would be unusual for XSX not to be doing the same sharing the API, unless 6800 is using something Sony did with them in hardware design.

So it could be primative related, and if XSX needs specfic programming of the mesh shaders, then we will all be dead by time games arrive ground up programmed for this (or ps6)....

Then there is the whole designed as a server XSX, split CPU on the die (no chance of unified CCX) and 4 shader arrays with 14 CU which is unheard of except Navi 14. All those 14 CU wavefronts sharing LDS etc = bottlenecks/ If you want to know what bottlenecks, its in the naughty dog patent

bZp0RT1.png

Note the above would be worse with more CU per L1 / LDS. If the ND Cenry patent is in Ps5, it will be more efficient at this but also less costly for effects.....mmm

This is the new workflow likely in ps5, could also be in 6800 if partnership with Sony......

PZyKXGw.png

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Told you guys about the Series S...

No amount of tools can fix it, it's just poorly engineered. Devs are in for a rough ride with it this gen.

And the damn thing will even drag down future games when devs have to lower their ambitions because the games will have to run on Xbox Series X' stupid little brother as well.

Boost mode it´s controlled overclocking.

New 1000$ AMD graphic card can work in boost mode, at 2,1GHZ, but with high-end ventilation, three fans only for the GPU, and very premium architecture. And its boost mode, normal gaming mode is 1,9GHZ.

PS5... well

Wow the coo-coo man seems salty af :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Airbus Jr

Banned
They seem weirdly defensive about the XSX version. The PS5 version is CLEARLY the better one unless maybe if you have a 120hz TV with VRR, but they seem to not want to really come out and say that.

Oh well, PS5 wins another one.

This made me curious aswell

Is it true DF under Xbox pocket?

The damage control by them is unreal

Its becoming increasingly more and more obvious now

Last edited:

geordiemp

Boost mode it´s controlled overclocking.

New 1000$ AMD graphic card can work in boost mode, at 2,1GHZ, but with high-end ventilation, three fans only for the GPU, and very premium architecture. And its boost mode, normal gaming mode is 1,9GHZ.

PS5... well

It shows the lack of engineering understanding to quote such silly narrative. The panels on the ps5 are the air inlet and there is a air gap to the main body, no that black mark is not heat related - that is embarrassing. Stevens also has no idea what he is talking about, he probably picked his nose and wiped it on ps5.

Nope, its not 1.9 Ghz, its 2.23 Ghz, and 6800 XT game clocks hitting 2.5 Ghz says you have no idea what your talking about.

Try staying to box is big hur duh.....

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
This made me curious aswell

Is it true DF under Xbox pocket?

The damage control by them is unreal

Its becoming increasingly more and more obvious now

Much of their audience is starting to realise. Look at the comments section for the video.

Their choice of wording for certain very obvious (and impactful) things is interesting to say the least.

At least they are facing increasing competition from other outlets now. They know that if their results don't line up with everyone else's they will be put under the microscope.

Last edited:

waquzy

They seem weirdly defensive about the XSX version. The PS5 version is CLEARLY the better one unless maybe if you have a 120hz TV with VRR, but they seem to not want to really come out and say that.

Exactly, not everyone has a LG C9 in their living room.

Radical_3d

I always do memes and jokes about this because after 2 years of marketing by Microsoft they deserve it. But seriously thinking this will not improve over time for team green is delusional. Codemasters (oh, the irony of the name) already confirmed an incoming patch. Hopefully it’ll fix the extra detail in the PS5 as well, since it seems that can be too much of a burden in certain moments. Although 90fps is not that bad.

What I’m saying is, DF is aware of this and are not making damage control but commenting a very un mature code at the very beginning of the generation with caution. Which is what a good journalist should do if they don’t want to be cough by the incoming changes.

Last edited:

Elog

Yes this is all just speculation and theory WRT what's going on with MS's performance results, but it's a plausible scenario. Anyone who isn't a console warrior and looking to seeing both platforms perform up to their best standards, though, would at least try considering options going from a gradual best-to-worst case scenario, not jumping immediately to the worst-case.

Tbh Thicc - and you know we have been in multiple discussion about this since Spring - I believe the results so far are basically is in line with what we knew before the launch. Probably a little worse for XSX than expected but not by much.

PS5 is a system that has focused on taking away bottlenecks with lower latencies across the board to allow for more advanced geometry and higher resolution/more textures.

XSX is a system that is emulating a PC platform - it is the best value PC that money can buy - but with some design choices (probably due to the design acting as a server piece as well) that introduces bottlenecks.

The problem is not this - the problem is that too many people bought into the MS marketing. And MS clearly should have known better.

Personally, I take no joy in the current situation since I love competition and this will hurt it. Hopefully XSX can be made to perform better over time. My issue with this idea though is the fact that Sony will not simply stand still in getting their DK optimised as well - and my feel is that current engines do not take full advantage of the new ways that the PS5 GE can be utilised.

kuncol02

Banned
That's pretty categorical.

I think 'the tools are behind Sony's' was always a completely spurious defence but it was fuelled by that screenshot of DF's John Lineman saying in a message 'according to our sources Xbox tools are behind Sony's'.

So either, that message is not real or worse, DF are damage controlling hard for Xbox. As this couldnt be more clear, alongside the other denial of late tools by the technical director. Now, of course other source/s could have told DF GDK is behind Sony's SDK enough to affect development, but this clearly goes against all reason imo because the feeling leading up to launch was XsX software preparedness was ahead of Sony, first party incompetence aside. I'm sure I also read PR of how seamless and easy the transition to GDK has been. Add to that fact devs have been bedded in for literally years with DX12-based tools, and it doesn't wash at all.
How someone can say that GDK was on time when profiles for Series S were added 5 months before release date (that was first confirmation that it exists) and semi final version of SDK which can be used to build games for certification was released month later (and some features are planned to be shipped after Series X release).

Lacix

120Hz VRR TVs are not so common and only a very little minority of the users have one. So I think for most people who wants to buy a new console it is a not used feature.

120Hz VRR TVs are not so common and only a very little minority of the users have one. So I think for most people who wants to buy a new console it is a not used feature.

Exactly, resorting to this kind of excuses is the worst offense one can make to Xbox sex performance..

sinnergy

show is over guys. :messenger_moon: :messenger_ok:

cant wait to see the new results later
For gaf and gaming in general it won’t matter, games are old in matter of 3 weeks ... if you missed that point as developer it’s better to venture on to something new ..

Your gamers are already into something else ..

Top Bottom