• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 5: Digital Foundry Console Comparison - PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X/Series S + Performance - Every Game Mode Tested

Airbus Jr

Banned
EL1E4K6.jpg

pimz76E.jpg

———————
i0znGQI.jpg

AOKMiRt.jpg

Quite staggering difference! Holy fuck!

This is by far the biggest gap PS5 XsX comparison ive seen

Much bigger than AC Valhala

And have you guys seen the series S version of Dirt 5?

The environment is awful....legit looks like it belong in a PUBG map..

At this point just abort Series S

Last edited:
Last edited:

TTOOLL

Yes, right NOW. It was released in JUNE. Do you really think from June until today it’s enough time to build a game based on that GDK? If so, you are delusional. All games are still not fully using the new GDK, because it’s simply too new.
the PS5 SDK was already finalized in 2019!

this fucking guy lol
Fighting the good fight in various threads simultaneously
What a trooper!!

Greggy

A lot of overreacting in this thread but not surprising.
Dirt 5 isn't that demanding a game. Forza Horizon 4 looks at least as good and is stable 4k60 on XSX.
Forza 8 has been announced to be running at 4k60 with RT.
Devs that have been releasing for all 4 consoles AND the PC have not had the time to get to up to speed with all the XSX features and development environment. Whatever base version they had was easier to port to the PS5 as evidenced by this DF comparison.

There is no rational reason why the XSX couldn't run Dirt 5 at dynamic 4k60. Is it embarassing given how the XSX has been marketed? yes. I'm assuming that they allowed Codemasters to release the XSX version as is because the Xbox launch lineup would have been even more dire without it. I mean my god, next gen hasn't even started for this console game wise. I'm spending a lot more time on the PS5.

My issue with MS right now is how they don't get ahead of things. There was literally a tweet from Xbox saying that AC Valhalla will play best on the XSX. They have been the marketing platform for Dirt 5 and not a word on the development challenges or anything to prepare us psychologically for this. The devs were actually bigging up the console that they knew they had the worse version for. Same with Halo Infinite, it's as if they expected the public to see that and be ecstatic. Something is wrong with how they communicate. They knew DF was going to compare all those games, Where is the message regarding the tools or the pandemic or GDK and so on?

This is the kind of stuff that gives the competition momentum. Not a big issue at the moment because demand outstrips supply for everybody but once the supply picks up, if the situation is still the same with no next gen games and cross platform games running worse, regardless of what the reason is, the market will shift. They can't stay mute about the early performance problems in my opinion.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Well, when Bayonetta was running at 30fps on the PS3, Richard never said "devs still need to get used to the Cell", let alone dismiss any glaring differences as a bug. Not to mention, how ridiculous it would have been for him to say "but the fact that the PS3 has a Blu-Ray player and the Xbox 360 doesn't". In fact, he always mentioned the PS3 "limitations" throughout that entire generation.

There are some obvious double standards at play here.
Possibly. But I think you've misunderstood me. I'm not talking about DF's stance. I'm just stating my own opinion from my observations watching the videos. They're just reminding me of that era with the roles reversed. How long this'll continue though I don't know, and will be very interesting.

A lot of overreacting in this thread but not surprising.
Dirt 5 isn't that demanding a game. Forza Horizon 4 looks at least as good and is stable 4k60 on XSX.
Forza 8 has been announced to be running at 4k60 with RT.
Devs that have been releasing for all 4 consoles AND the PC have not had the time to get to up to speed with all the XSX features and development environment. Whatever base version they had was easier to port to the PS5 as evidenced by this DF comparison.

There is no rational reason why the XSX couldn't run Dirt 5 at dynamic 4k60. Is it embarassing given how the XSX has been marketed? yes. I'm assuming that they allowed Codemasters to release the XSX version as is because the Xbox launch lineup would have been even more dire without it. I mean my god, next gen hasn't even started for this console game wise. I'm spending a lot more time on the PS5.

My issue with MS right now is how they don't get ahead of things. There was literally a tweet from Xbox saying that AC Valhalla will play best on the XSX. They have been the marketing platform for Dirt 5 and not a word on the development challenges or anything to prepare us psychologically for this. The devs were actually bigging up the console that they knew they had the worse version for. Same with Halo Infinite, it's as if they expected the public to see that and be ecstatic. Something is wrong with how they communicate. They knew DF was going to compare all those games, Where is the message regarding the tools or the pandemic or GDK and so on?

This is the kind of stuff that gives the competition momentum. Not a big issue at the moment because demand outstrips supply for everybody but once the supply picks up if the situation is still the same with no next gen games and cross platform games running worse, regardless of what the reason is, the market will shift. They can't stay mute about the early performance problems in my opinion.

Microsoft needed to fire on all cylinders at the start of this gen, but once again they choked. I don't want to hear the excuses of late dev kits and tools, that's not our problem. They should have had their shit together like Sony did getting ready for next-gen, but what did they give us? Shittier performing multiplats and 0 exclusives at launch, like what the hell is going on with leadership at Microsoft's Xbox division?

Last edited:
Soooooo, is the Xbox version fixed yet?

tenor.gif

I find it extremely embarrassing for the devs. Did they not test their game before the release? Why is it up to DF to discover this kind of fuck up?

FranXico

Soooooo, is the Xbox version fixed yet?

tenor.gif

I find it extremely embarrassing for the devs. Did they not test their game before the release? Why is it up to DF to discover this kind of fuck up?
So, the Series X really was using the Series S details settings by accident? They'll fix that soon enough.

Airbus Jr

Banned
In the next few days

Reviewtechusa

The Xbox Series X version of Dirt 5 is atrocious and Microsoft need to release a new console to fix this.

Lets get into it.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned

Some of you may know I'm pretty skeptical about Neogaf being the better alternative to that cesspool called Resetera since sometimes also here on GAF some threads can be very embarassing, for example the Neil Druckmann's threads or the recent Alana Pearce's thread. But the reason I'm still here is I think Neogaf still have an auto-moderation and the free speech is guaranteed, after all.

So, while it could be normal to criticize Neogaf, I find it's pretty embarrassing Battaglia to criticize another community when on Resetera he constantly needs to apologize to other members for what he write.

The same has occurred with John Linneman: one or two members finds conspiracies in his works, left the forum. Complaints about his mental health on ERA and he's still there.

Last edited:

Self

The devs were actually bigging up the console that they knew they had the worse version for. Same with Halo Infinite, it's as if they expected the public to see that and be ecstatic.

I believe they honestly thought that they would have the upper hand and didn't even bother to check for the status of their games. This naive behavior cannot be explained otherwise.

geordiemp

Dont wipe your arse on ps5 lol. Anyone with half an engineering brain knows that is not heat.

I should not have to tell you why. Some fanboys like stevens dont even understand basic thermal dynamics, its embarrassing.

And stevens last I debated with him I had to explain what partially resident textures were on GAF. He is not a developer or an engineer.

Last edited:

Greggy

Dont wipe your arse on ps5 lol. Anyone with half an engineering brain knows that is not heat.

I should not have to tell you why.
Would be good to see what that side plate looks like from the inside. I wouldn't just dismiss it. More people have reported the middle of the top plate darkening for no comprehensible reason after just 2 days.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

I should not have to tell you why. Some fanboys like stevens dont even understand basic thermal dynamics, its embarrassing.

And stevens last I debated with him I had to explain what partially resident textures were on GAF. He is not a developer or an engineer.
Read my post befor that pic 🙄🙄

geordiemp

Would be good to see what that side plate looks like from the inside. I wouldn't just dismiss it. More people have reported the middle of the top plate darkening for no comprehensible reason after just 2 days.

The side plates are the air intake not the exhaust lol. If the intake side was enough to burn that plastic, the sytem would not work ever, never mind the air insulation gap to the main body.

No it would not help - the main body would be liquid plastic before even getting to the air insulated cover plates. Pathetic..

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
The side plates are the air intake not the exhaust lol. If the intake side was enough to burn that plastic, the sytem would not work ever, never mind the air insulation gap to the main body.

No.

I don’t disagree with that at all but there is now 2 pics showing the same thing?

geordiemp

Source:

oa6kpaF.jpg

b4qQGYn.jpg

Don’t believe the FUD, especially if is coming from Xbox fanboys.

It would be better if they had half a brain, they would of discoloured the exhaust where air is expelled not the air intake lol.

Polycarbonates are good to 115C, too high for any heat transfer mechanism from inside no matter what, exhaust temps are < 55 C on ps5 and 60 C on XSX, again far too low.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I really hate that people bother devs, knowing the fanboy warriors, this could turn ugly really quick. Fucking twitter.

Devs are taking it in stride.
In this day and age its part of the graft.

The days of community managers being the only masochists at studios seems to be over.......though community managers are still the people that make me realize humans beings can suffer alot more than I thought was possible.

But seriously people need to stop harassing's the devs.
This is gonna be a very long generation.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I don’t disagree with that at all but there is now 2 pics showing the same thing?
It's bullsh*t.

The heat would have to penetrate the plastic underneath the side panel first, but we're seeing zero pictures of that.

The back of the console is the hottest and it does not even come close to melting the plastic, even during a 20+ hour gaming session.

So if the temperature on the side of the console is less than half, then that means is not not coming close to melting\burning anything. If its not a fake picture then it's just dirt.

Gediminas

Banned

No it would not help - the main body would be liquid plastic before even getting to the air insulated cover plates. Pathetic..
don't waste your time with these blind xbox fanboys. if you went to the school or educate your self at least a little you know that it is impossible to look like this.

these people trying so hard to distract everyone from PS5 and xbox performances :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom