• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 5 next gen upgrades may miss PS5 launch, saves won't transfer from PS4 version

Well, If You plan on getting the game for Ps5, whats the point of transffering saves anyway?

For the games You already own and played, I understsand, but for those, Just wait and get the Ps5 version

Aion002

WTF Sony!

200.gif

Last edited:

Jboemios

Banned

Maneater saves don't transfer between PS4 and PS5 either.
No no no. He mean a fourth case

Zoro7

Banned
Because you can't have people buying this game but not the ps5 which they buy next year?
I mean the option for saves transfer is available. Its being used by first party titles. So Im not sure if its a long process that's putting off 3rd party devs. Im glad that it won't affect myself.

Its SDK issue. Devs have to put in lot of extra work as its not built in SDK.

Third party devs already making games for multiple platforms, so they don't want to waste resources on this coz Sony should have sorted this shit out 1st.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The SSD is too fast for old save files.

(j/k, no clue what is going on, not sure why it matters for new games though lol)

Agent X

If the developers are having issues with it, that shows that the support is not built in as easily into the SDK as it is for Xbox. That blame still goes onto Sony for not making a system that is streamlined and easy for this type of transition to work.

It's possible that Microsoft has certain routines that are built into their SDK, that Sony does not have. If that's the case, then that's good on Microsoft's part.

Nonetheless, unless you are a licensed Sony developer, we really don't know what cross-save routines are offered in Sony's SDKs, so I would not be so quick to "blame" Sony over this yet.

Since cross-save has existed in numerous PS3/PS4/Vita games large and small for about 8 years, I would say that the bulk of the responsibility is still on the developer to find a solution. Whether this is through Sony's SDK, or some third-party middleware, or whatever, I don't know...and frankly, I don't care. The point is that many other developers were able to figure this out, even tiny indies selling little $4 games on PSN.

Using you GTA example, GTA was able to do that because it started to save your information in its own cloud network, not PSNs or the other system. They created their own system that could save the game in the cloud and then convert the data for another platform so it could be imported. Not every developer is going to spend the time and resources to do that.

No, but a lot of developers have. You might not have been here a few years ago, when there was a lot of uproar over cross-save and cross-platform play for Fortnite and Rocket League. After all of that went down, that started a domino effect, where a lot more games started implementing these features, even over disparate platforms from different manufacturers.

Going back to the original post, it's interesting to note (from the developer's Twitter post):

On PlayStation, your Playgrounds creations can be carried over, but other game progress (Career, currency, saved liveries) cannot.

Now, I'm not sure what "Playgrounds creations" entail, but we can interpret this as some data does carry over, just not all of it. Perhaps this is not a technical issue, but one that involves policy.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
But Spiderman ps4 saves wont work.
See Marvel's Spider-man is a bit different, most of the games people keep mentioning with cross saves are titles releasing this year, Marvel's Spider-man is from 2018 and the Remaster they expect the saves to work with isn't a update to the existing title but a completely redone title for PS5
I have yet to see what enhancements these titles with cross saves have over the PS4/Xbox One versions.
But with Spider-man there is a reason behind it

Tiamat2san

So on series x we would be able to play Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox one games with our original saves and on PS5, if we PS4 games We can go fuck ourselves ?
Thanks Sony...i guess

édit: for Xbox games it would be for the games we played on the Xbox one.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Well that sucks ass. They better sort this out quickly.

What's the point of buying on PS4 first then playing the PS4 game on PS5 if the saves won't carry over??

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
It's possible that Microsoft has certain routines that are built into their SDK, that Sony does not have. If that's the case, then that's good on Microsoft's part.

Nonetheless, unless you are a licensed Sony developer, we really don't know what cross-save routines are offered in Sony's SDKs, so I would not be so quick to "blame" Sony over this yet.

Since cross-save has existed in numerous PS3/PS4/Vita games large and small for about 8 years, I would say that the bulk of the responsibility is still on the developer to find a solution. Whether this is through Sony's SDK, or some third-party middleware, or whatever, I don't know...and frankly, I don't care. The point is that many other developers were able to figure this out, even tiny indies selling little $4 games on PSN.

No, but a lot of developers have. You might not have been here a few years ago, when there was a lot of uproar over cross-save and cross-platform play for Fortnite and Rocket League. After all of that went down, that started a domino effect, where a lot more games started implementing these features, even over disparate platforms from different manufacturers.

Going back to the original post, it's interesting to note (from the developer's Twitter post):

Now, I'm not sure what "Playgrounds creations" entail, but we can interpret this as some data does carry over, just not all of it. Perhaps this is not a technical issue, but one that involves policy.

Playground creations are going to be stored on their servers (code masters) it seems.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Well, If You plan on getting the game for Ps5, whats the point of transffering saves anyway?

For the games You already own and played, I understsand, but for those, Just wait and get the Ps5 version
Well part of the idea of supporting these cross-gen upgrades is people can buy last-gen games before they can afford, or find, a next-gen system.

So it might be important to those people buying PS4 copies hoping to upgrade them in the future.

Honestly it's a big reason these companies are supporting free upgrades in the first place... some people feel discouraged when a new gen arise and they can't find or afford a new system or want to "wait" to buy games otherwise.

Last edited:

Connxtion

From the Maneater game NG update they state XSX/S are the same game and the PS5 one is a new application/game.

So it’s a titleid issue, Xbox uses the same titleid, PS5 doesn’t and I assume Sony’s system will only work if the game shares the same titleid.

I also assume it’s not trivial to decrypt and change the save titleid hence more devs are just not bothering with it. Or Sony prohibit doing such things forcing devs hands.

Either way this won’t be the last game to not support it.

The above maybe like that due to how Sony detect games for BC, so all PS5 games have a different ID system and PS4 uses the old way this the incompatibility with transferring saves on old content.

Agent X

Playground creations are going to be stored on their servers (code masters) it seems.

Thanks. I did a little more digging, and here's a description of Playgrounds from the official Dirt 5 site:

Summary: It's a mode where users can create their own playfield, and upload them to an online repository, where other users can also download and enjoy them.

Interesting that something of this large scope is freely transferrable between PS4 & PS5, while simple career progression is off the table. The Twitter post also suggests that this is subject to change, so it's evidently not a technical pitfall on Sony's part, as some people here are eager to point an accusatory finger at them.

chonga

I didn't know we don't have a PS5 release date??? :messenger_dizzy:
Yeah, interesting one. Do keep in mind Microsoft has been marketing this title a lot and there has been some delays that's caused the game to launch basically alongside next gen consoles, and I guess MS would have applied pressure to make sure their next gen hits the door first.

The Technical Director tried so hard not to mention the PS5 when he spoke with Richard from Digital Foundry. The best part was when he said Series S was an great piece of kit and Richard smirked in a manor as if to say 'yeah, right, nice marketing plugs'.

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
Does anybody has a clue while saves are an issue on PS5. Isn't that supposed to be in the cloud ? I don't get the technical issue.

What's up with saves not transferring?! This isn't the first game. Yakuza too.

"It is treated as a separate/new application on PS5, and this stops the save game from transferring."

Top Bottom