• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

|OT| DIRT 5 |OT| DirtStormClub

Jan 7, 2018
This one's coming to best pass on the 25th.

• Fire
Reactions: BasedPrime
Jan 3, 2020
I have to raise the difficulty cause I’m getting number one spot every race doesnt seem fun the other racers don’t seem to try.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Jan 25, 2018
England
The game is the worst dirt ever. A lot of the courses just accelerator flat to the floor barely have to use brakes and I'm ahead of the pack for 95% of the race, Some of the vehicle classes should not be in the game. I dread racing some of them in career mode. Dull as fuck.

Reactions: drotahorror

xrnzaaas

Dec 9, 2013
Combustion engines are on borrowed time. Only matter of time until we have electric rally cars hurtling through the bush.
It's going to be interesting how rally fans will react to this change, because a huge part of the "spectacle" are the sounds. You know, the anticipation of a rally car heading your way and the feeling you get when it passes you by. And I don't know about others, but I hate fake engine sounds in modern cars (including combustion ones to compensate for their silent exhausts due to EU regulations).

I also meant that Taycan is a luxurious limousine, I'd have the same reaction if they included an S-Class in the game. It's just not a vehicle you'd take on a dirt road, let alone to participate in a rally. At least the Alpine A110 from this car pack has some proper rally roots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trab-Pu-Kcip

sinnergy

Jun 16, 2007
It's going to be interesting how rally fans will react to this change, because a huge part of the "spectacle" are the sounds. You know, the anticipation of a rally car heading your way and the feeling you get when it passes you by. And I don't know about others, but I hate fake engine sounds in modern cars (including combustion ones to compensate for their silent exhausts due to EU regulations).

I also meant that Taycan is a luxurious limousine, I'd have the same reaction if they included an S-Class in the game. It's just not a vehicle you'd take on a dirt road, let alone to participate in a rally. At least the Alpine A110 from this car pack has some proper rally roots.
There is nothing stopping them for recreation of engine sounds , with speakers .. I don’t see a problem .

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Dec 9, 2013
I guess I'm a type of guy who doesn't like fakery. Also it's one thing to artifically enhance existing engine sounds, and something completely different to create 100% fake sounds because the actual car is completely silent.

sinnergy

Jun 16, 2007
I guess I'm a type of guy who doesn't like fakery. Also it's one thing to artifically enhance existing engine sounds, and something completely different to create 100% fake sounds because the actual car is completely silent.
Yes, but that’s progress .. you can’t keep everything the same otherwise we wouldn’t even have cars , because horses also work .. just saying .

BasedPrime

Nov 10, 2018
Yo Im playing this on Xbox and there's no rumble, wtf. Sony paying for exclusive rumble support now?

GHG

Nov 9, 2006
This game... This game... is fucking awful.

Where to start... on PC it takes about a minute before the splash screens start appearing after you press "play". I thought my game was broken but apparently according to one of the top reviews on the MS store this is normal. Then you get into the game, the UI is absolute puke, the voice overs are obnoxious and the game is basically "hey there fellow kids .gif". To top it all off the soundtrack is dreadful.

Then you start playing the game and it gets even worse. The handling model is a joke, absolutely no challenge even with all the assists turned off (the cars brake and have traction as if they are F1 cars, even on ice!), the AI are clowns and drive like grandmas even on the highest difficulty, there's no damage option to speak of and there's no way to turn all the elements of the HUD off. I did about 10 events in the career mode and I'm bored out of my mind already. The whole thing just looks like a bunch of random race events thrown together with an arbitrary credits system to buy cars.

Graphics are ok, at least on PC maxed out at 1440p/60fps. Sound mix is terrible, car sounds are worse.

If you want a good arcade (and offroad) racing game do yourself a favour and play Wreckfest instead. This really ain't it. I don't think I've ever uninstalled a racing game faster in my life before and that's saying something because I pretty much try them all.

Last edited:

Ballistik

Jul 22, 2009
This game... This game... is fucking awful.

Where to start... on PC it takes about a minute before the splash screens start appearing after you press "play". I thought my game was broken but apparently according to one of the top reviews on the MS store this is normal. Then you get into the game, the UI is absolute puke, the voice overs are obnoxious and the game is basically "hey there fellow kids .gif". To top it all off the soundtrack is dreadful.

Then you start playing the game and it gets even worse. The handling model is a joke, absolutely no challenge even with all the assists turned off (the cars brake and have traction as if they are F1 cars, even on ice!), the AI are clowns and drive like grandmas even on the highest difficulty, there's no damage option to speak of and there's no way to turn all the elements of the HUD off. I did about 10 events in the career mode and I'm bored out of my mind already. The whole thing just looks like a bunch of random race events thrown together with an arbitrary credits system to buy cars.

Graphics are ok, at least on PC maxed out at 1440p/60fps. Sound mix is terrible, car sounds are worse.

If you want a good arcade (and offroad) racing game do yourself a favour and play Wreckfest instead. This really ain't it. I don't think I've ever uninstalled a racing game faster in my life before and that's saying something because I pretty much try them all.
I agree with all of this. I was obsessed with Dirt 2 and 3, skipped on 4 but did play Rally 2.0 and found it fun but very challenging. But as soon as I saw gameplay footage of 5, something looked very off. Skipped on the purchase but surprised it came to gamepass so quickly. Gave it a shot and ugh, the car handling is insanely bad. There is nothing gratifying about it. I bumped it up to the hardest difficulty and I was still easily winning every single race by a longshot. Felt pointless to continue.

Compare that to Wreckfest, which I also just discovered because of gamepass... and I'm having a blast. Some tracks later on in the game like deathloop are perfect for this game to encourage chaos. Highly recommend Wreckfest, and very disappointed with Dirt 5. I don't understand how they felt the game was in a good state to release.

• Strength
Reactions: GHG