• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DIRT 5 |OT| DirtStormClub

This one's coming to best pass on the 25th.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
The game is the worst dirt ever. A lot of the courses just accelerator flat to the floor barely have to use brakes and I'm ahead of the pack for 95% of the race, Some of the vehicle classes should not be in the game. I dread racing some of them in career mode. Dull as fuck.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Combustion engines are on borrowed time. Only matter of time until we have electric rally cars hurtling through the bush.
It's going to be interesting how rally fans will react to this change, because a huge part of the "spectacle" are the sounds. You know, the anticipation of a rally car heading your way and the feeling you get when it passes you by. And I don't know about others, but I hate fake engine sounds in modern cars (including combustion ones to compensate for their silent exhausts due to EU regulations).

I also meant that Taycan is a luxurious limousine, I'd have the same reaction if they included an S-Class in the game. It's just not a vehicle you'd take on a dirt road, let alone to participate in a rally. At least the Alpine A110 from this car pack has some proper rally roots.

Last edited:

sinnergy

It's going to be interesting how rally fans will react to this change, because a huge part of the "spectacle" are the sounds. You know, the anticipation of a rally car heading your way and the feeling you get when it passes you by. And I don't know about others, but I hate fake engine sounds in modern cars (including combustion ones to compensate for their silent exhausts due to EU regulations).

I also meant that Taycan is a luxurious limousine, I'd have the same reaction if they included an S-Class in the game. It's just not a vehicle you'd take on a dirt road, let alone to participate in a rally. At least the Alpine A110 from this car pack has some proper rally roots.
There is nothing stopping them for recreation of engine sounds , with speakers .. I don’t see a problem .

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I guess I'm a type of guy who doesn't like fakery. Also it's one thing to artifically enhance existing engine sounds, and something completely different to create 100% fake sounds because the actual car is completely silent.

sinnergy

I guess I'm a type of guy who doesn't like fakery. Also it's one thing to artifically enhance existing engine sounds, and something completely different to create 100% fake sounds because the actual car is completely silent.
Yes, but that’s progress .. you can’t keep everything the same otherwise we wouldn’t even have cars , because horses also work .. just saying .

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Yo Im playing this on Xbox and there's no rumble, wtf. Sony paying for exclusive rumble support now?

GHG

Gold Member
This game... This game... is fucking awful.

Where to start... on PC it takes about a minute before the splash screens start appearing after you press "play". I thought my game was broken but apparently according to one of the top reviews on the MS store this is normal. Then you get into the game, the UI is absolute puke, the voice overs are obnoxious and the game is basically "hey there fellow kids .gif". To top it all off the soundtrack is dreadful.

Then you start playing the game and it gets even worse. The handling model is a joke, absolutely no challenge even with all the assists turned off (the cars brake and have traction as if they are F1 cars, even on ice!), the AI are clowns and drive like grandmas even on the highest difficulty, there's no damage option to speak of and there's no way to turn all the elements of the HUD off. I did about 10 events in the career mode and I'm bored out of my mind already. The whole thing just looks like a bunch of random race events thrown together with an arbitrary credits system to buy cars.

Graphics are ok, at least on PC maxed out at 1440p/60fps. Sound mix is terrible, car sounds are worse.

If you want a good arcade (and offroad) racing game do yourself a favour and play Wreckfest instead. This really ain't it. I don't think I've ever uninstalled a racing game faster in my life before and that's saying something because I pretty much try them all.

Last edited:

Ballistik

This game... This game... is fucking awful.

Where to start... on PC it takes about a minute before the splash screens start appearing after you press "play". I thought my game was broken but apparently according to one of the top reviews on the MS store this is normal. Then you get into the game, the UI is absolute puke, the voice overs are obnoxious and the game is basically "hey there fellow kids .gif". To top it all off the soundtrack is dreadful.

Then you start playing the game and it gets even worse. The handling model is a joke, absolutely no challenge even with all the assists turned off (the cars brake and have traction as if they are F1 cars, even on ice!), the AI are clowns and drive like grandmas even on the highest difficulty, there's no damage option to speak of and there's no way to turn all the elements of the HUD off. I did about 10 events in the career mode and I'm bored out of my mind already. The whole thing just looks like a bunch of random race events thrown together with an arbitrary credits system to buy cars.

Graphics are ok, at least on PC maxed out at 1440p/60fps. Sound mix is terrible, car sounds are worse.

If you want a good arcade (and offroad) racing game do yourself a favour and play Wreckfest instead. This really ain't it. I don't think I've ever uninstalled a racing game faster in my life before and that's saying something because I pretty much try them all.
I agree with all of this. I was obsessed with Dirt 2 and 3, skipped on 4 but did play Rally 2.0 and found it fun but very challenging. But as soon as I saw gameplay footage of 5, something looked very off. Skipped on the purchase but surprised it came to gamepass so quickly. Gave it a shot and ugh, the car handling is insanely bad. There is nothing gratifying about it. I bumped it up to the hardest difficulty and I was still easily winning every single race by a longshot. Felt pointless to continue.

Compare that to Wreckfest, which I also just discovered because of gamepass... and I'm having a blast. Some tracks later on in the game like deathloop are perfect for this game to encourage chaos. Highly recommend Wreckfest, and very disappointed with Dirt 5. I don't understand how they felt the game was in a good state to release.

• Strength
Reactions: GHG

DJ12

Does anyone know how to turn of VRS in the PC version.

I was going to cash in my gamepass voucher for this, but found it for sale for under £20 for the amp'd version so just brought it.

I only game at 1080p as have relatively old and work related monitors, and VRS makes this game look utter shite at this res.

I really need to get it disabled, but the only option for AMD in the settings is for fideltiyfx sharpening if memory serves.

Shmunter

So I got the game on PS5. Have had eye on it for awhile. As a fan of arcade rally and the perceived roots going back to Motorstorm or Driveclub, it saddens me to say the game is pretty weak.

When will I not come number 1? Feels like I break early and hardly ever see anyone again. No penalty for unsportsmanlike driving? All assists off and I still cannot spin it if I tried? I can plow through any terrain and it’s inconsequential?

Man this is as vanilla as it gets. I’m suspecting everything I’ve seen in the first 60 minutes is all I get? Motorstorm 1 had infinitely more depth.

And technically - the corner stutter with no other cars on the track that was introduced in a patch long ago, still hasn’t been corrected!

Wow, so sad.

drotahorror

Here's hope that they have fixed the game a bit for performance and hopefully fanatec wheels. ffs.

UPDATE 4.00​

Released on March 30, 2021 for Xbox, PlayStation, Steam and Windows Store. Update will be added to Stadia at a later date.

CONTENT AND FEATURES

• Uproar Content Pack (separate pack, included in Amplified Edition and Year One Upgrade versions
  • After Dark Playgrounds Update – 20+ new items available to use in Create mode, including new loop-de-loop
  • Night-time conditions for Arizona and Italy Playgrounds
  • New official liveries: BMW M1 Procar, SUBARU WRX STI RX Supercar, SUBARU Impreza S4 Rally, and MITSUBISHI LANCER EVOLUTION VI.
  • Private lobbies: Online play includes private lobbies option for up to eight players via invite, with custom race event options
  • Verified Creators: Icon added to Playgrounds creations designed by selected top creators
  • New menu added to view profile statistics, including total mileage driven
  • Steam and Windows Store: Shadows cast by cars from the sun are now ray traced shadows
TECHNICAL UPDATES

• Fixed instances of game crashes occurring when attempting to sign into a profile already assigned to another controller/input
  • Scrolling statistics when waiting for an Online multiplayer now show the user’s total distance driven in miles, not metres
  • Xbox: Fixed instances of crashes during the ‘Lion’s Head’ Rally Raid Career event
  • Fix for some instances of game freeze/soft lock at the end of event 
  • Fixed mute options for other players in Online public events
  • PC: Fixed instances of multiple Fanatec wheels generating throttle and brake inputs when idle
  • Button mappings on multiple Fanatec wheels have been resolved and refined, including the CSW Elite series and Universal Hub
  • PC: Resolved issue where operating photo mode with a keyboard would cause the camera to move
  • PlayStation: Fix for reports of frame rate drops when using Thrustmaster T-150 wheel
  • Playgrounds: Resolved occurrences of leaderboards not loading, triggering a network error
  • Split-screen: Mini-map will now display correctly in split-screen events
  • Xbox: Fix for shifter pattern on Logitech G920
  • Xbox: Fix for instances of graphical corruptions when entering photo mode during an event
  • PC: Fixed occurrences of driver animations not triggering as designed on a number of PC configs and graphics cards

PATCH 4.01​

Released for Steam on March 30, 2021, and will be added to Xbox and PlayStation versions in the coming days. Also coming to Stadia at a later date.

TECHNICAL UPDATES

• PS5: Further fixes and optimisations that aim to improve frame rate performance and consistency
  • Fixed instances of camera acting erratically during events, after exiting photo mode or looking behind the car
  • Xbox One: Further fixes for instances of crashes
  • Fix for instances of freezes/soft locks at the end of Career events on PS5 and Steam

drotahorror

What a strange problem.

When in 3rd person view, even while running at 100fps (120hz monitor), the game has this weird judder as if it's locked to 60fps when I turn the camera. But when using the 2 in-car views, it's gone. Still getting around the same FPS, but no judder when turning. Wtf.

*Ok vsync was on. This game has a tendency to just do w/e when it comes to graphics options after you quit the game and turn it back on.

no vsync seems to have fixed it.

Man this game looks so good under the right conditions and I'm playing on basically medium settings.

Last edited:
PSN has a trial you can download (there actually seems to be quite a bit of content in it as well, I played through 3 or 4 races on different tracks with 3 different vehicles). The game makes a pretty good first impression but yeah, there is almost zero depth to the handling model. You almost never actually need to use the brakes: let off the gas to induce oversteer to the desired angle, then just hammer on the gas seems to sort you out through every race that I participated in. Also, maybe its because its the beginning of the career mode I was playing but it was piss easy to completely wipe the floor with the AI.

Real bummer. I really hope this game does well because the Evolution studios guys and Codemasters still deserve to survive and I hope they get to take another swing at this because I know they can produce a better game.

Dunkelgrau

First, I have to say, that I am bad at racing games – and yes, I am aware of the fact, that DIRT 5 is an arcade-racer. But I almost dropped every racing game, beside Mario Kart, in the last years and I even do not know how to drift probably in DIRT 5.

Then I began to play this yesterday (trial-version (PS4) on my PS5) and were really amazed in the first couple of hours: I played with the easiest settings.

After I won most of the races I switched to the hardest settings and nothing changed: I can win most of the races. I must choose the slower cars, yeah, with the fast ones I have problems, but is it possible, that Codemasters has fucked up the difficulty? I do not get it.

Edit:
Anyways, I bought the Year 1 Edition for PS5, haha. I love the game in a strange way.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

First, I have to say, that I am bad at racing games – and yes, I am aware of the fact, that DIRT 5 is an arcade-racer. But I almost dropped every racing game, beside Mario Kart, in the last years and I even do not know how to drift probably in DIRT 5.

Then I began to play this yesterday (trial-version (PS4) on my PS5) and were really amazed in the first couple of hours: I played with the easiest settings.

After I won most of the races I switched to the hardest settings and nothing changed: I can win most of the races. I must choose the slower cars, yeah, with the fast ones I have problems, but is it possible, that Codemasters has fucked up the difficulty? I do not get it.

Edit:
Anyways, I bought the Year 1 Edition for PS5, haha. I love the game in a strange way.

that’s just modern arcade racing now, easy for casuals. Everyone loves Forza Horizon and it’s also very easy with no courses to master or AI that puts up a fight. These can still be fun though.

Last edited:

ikbalCO

hey everyone.

i just want to appreciate this game right now.

this is the only racing game, i have ever played to completion and saw the end credits. i really love it.

i pretty much always buy racing games in every generation to see the shiny new graphics. play for couple hours and forget about it. but i have to say, something about dirt 5 grabbed a hold of me.

it is so much fun to play, looks great and sounds amazing. before this, my most played racing game was FH4. played it for 14-15 hours and i don't know, got overwhelmed by it since there are so much to do. but in dirt 5, there are no distractions. just racing. you don't have to go toa certain spot to start the race. no convoluted open world. has good track veriaty etc. also i don't know why but, the weather effects in this game remind me of driveclub so much. especially the way the night takes over the track and it becomes too dark and out of nowhere lightning or thunder just light up the whole scene for a few second... amazing.

dirt 5 is also a fantastic podcast game. dirt 5 + matt and shane's secret podcast is the recipe for boring lockdowns.

congrats to codemasters and kudos to gamepass for making this game soooo easily accesible because god know i wouldn't buy this, if it weren't for gp.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Who’s ready for a revolution? DIRT 5's Red Bull Revolution Update is a FREE content update available to all players right now!

Cross-platform online matchmaking is added to DIRT 5, creating more thrilling online races and fun party mode event. Eight new official Red Bull liveries have also been added, along with additional Playgrounds options, ghost lap times and even more. Download the new update for free today!

Shmunter

Who’s ready for a revolution? DIRT 5's Red Bull Revolution Update is a FREE content update available to all players right now!

Cross-platform online matchmaking is added to DIRT 5, creating more thrilling online races and fun party mode event. Eight new official Red Bull liveries have also been added, along with additional Playgrounds options, ghost lap times and even more. Download the new update for free today!

Is it a patch, DLC?. What’s the scoop?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Is it a patch, DLC?. What’s the scoop?

Who’s ready for a revolution? We’re excited to reveal the Red Bull Revolution Update for DIRT 5: a FREE update for all players, launching on May 11!

Fresh content and new features are added for everyone in our latest game update, headlined by the introduction of cross-platform matchmaking for Xbox, PlayStation, and PC players, and also coming to Google Stadia later this year.

A stunning selection of official Red Bull liveries for multiple cars are on the way, along with the iconic Red Bull arch for use in Playgrounds mode. More weather options for our arena creator mode, ghost lap times, and more are also stuffed into this update!

We’ve hooked up with Red Bull for this free update to deliver a host of new DIRT 5 content! First up: eight fresh Red Bull liveries to show up and show out in. In the usual livery select screen, find a new design for the Audi S1 EKS RX quattro, MINI John Cooper Work Buggy by X-raid, Peugeot 3008 DKR Maxi, and Volkswagen Race Touareg 3. Meanwhile, check out the Porsche 911 RGT to find the official Red Bull Racing Esports livery, ready for you to use. Finally, the Peugeot 208 WRX comes with THREE new Red Bull liveries, including designs driven by both Timmy and Kevin Hansen in the FIA World Rallycross Championship!

The Red Bull Revolution Update is a free game update for all DIRT 5 players, which will be available to download from May 11 on Xbox, PlayStation, and PC, followed later this year by Google Stadia. No additional purchase or entitlement is required; an internet connection will be required to download the update.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The first additions to DIRT 5's track list are here, with two new tracks based in Brazil: São Conrado and Rio Seafront! Check out the first gameplay of the new circuits, with different weather and time of day conditions. Reverse variants of the two tracks will also be added, and all four routes will be available in Arcade, Time Trial, Online playlists, and selected Career events!

The new tracks will be available for free to all DIRT 5 players from July 20, upon downloading the latest game update. Launching on the same day for DIRT 5 is the Super Size Content Pack, including four new cars, 27 new Career events, more customisations, and so much more. This pack will be available to Amplified/Year One Edition players from July 20, and other players can purchase the pack from online stores.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Time to embrace your WILD SIDE 🏄

The Wild Spirits Content Pack for DIRT 5 is out now on PS4 and PS5! The new pack is available as part of DIRT 5 Amplified/Year One Edition, or purchasable separately from the PlayStation Store.

Headlining this pack is the hotly-anticipated Ford Bronco 2021 Wildtrak - the perfect off-road machine for DIRT 5's extreme global routes. Joining the Bronco is the monstrous Prodrive Hunter, along with another 25 Career events, two new Player Sponsors, customisation items, and more.

Also launching today is the free Update 6.00, featuring two brand new tracks, more Playgrounds, and gameplay tweaks to make the on-track action even more competitive.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Halloween season gets underway in Dirt, bringing the free Tricks N Treats Playgrounds update to the game, available for all players on Xbox, PlayStation, and PC. Check out the trailer for a look at what to expect.

The Tricks N Treats Playgrounds pack is a free Halloween-themed set of items, taking inspiration from all your favorite spooky scenes, classic horror setups, and gothic Victorian architecture. The Tricks N Treats pack is a bonus drop of free items for all Playgrounds users to design some truly devilish arenas.

Top Bottom