• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disabled Likes on the Politics forum

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
Another reason I miss the button is that I can't quietly "acknowledge" replies anymore. Usually if someone replies directly to me or quotes me--and it's not a direct challenge worth taking up in reply--I'll just "like" the post if it made good points. This is when it doesn't merit a full reply, just an "I see you, good response."
Spot on. In the meantime how about a spot of civil disobedience, liking posts by quoting and liking them individually?

Dec 15, 2011
I have a suggestion, based on assumed motives for this change:

- Reinstate the like button, but don't mention likes (likers?) at the bottom-right of a post.

This will allow people to acknowledge or express simple agreement with a particular comment. The bell-notification area will allow the person who made the comment to know it was liked by others.
The discussion itself would have no mention of the likes, so it would remain purely about an exchange of views and opinions. Observers won't sense any tone from likes, only from the written content submitted by participants.

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018

- Reinstate the like button, but don't mention likes (likers?) at the bottom-right of a post.

This will allow people to acknowledge or express simple agreement with a particular comment. The bell-notification area will allow the person who made the comment to know it was liked by others.
The discussion itself would have no mention of the likes, so it would remain purely about an exchange of views and opinions. Observers won't sense any tone from likes, only from the written content submitted by participants.
Love the hypocrisy of Evilore liking this when the rest of us are unable to use that function. Kinda makes my point about the value of it. Still don't understand why we've gone from transparency and openness to... this.

Dec 15, 2011
Love the hypocrisy of Evilore liking this when the rest of us are unable to use that function. Kinda makes my point about the value of it. Still don't understand why we've gone from transparency and openness to... this.
I like transparency, I think it's a good policy and mindset - but I'm not owed it.

I've always understood online communities to be dictatorships, not democracies.
Its true that the contributions of the community itself is what adds value to the place and so a sense of ownership and right-of-say is understandable, but that doesn't necessarily make it so.

My guess is that the motives are sincere and to better shape the tone and quality of the fledgling Politics forum.

LegendOfKage

Mar 6, 2018
Personally speaking, I miss the like button here. I always viewed my likes in political topics (or pretty much any heated topics) as carrying more responsibility. I tried to avoid the temptation to like anything that was personally insulting or confrontational in a needlessly rude way. And that was pretty easy, because those aren't the kind of posts I want to see here in the first place.

Even more so, I would really enjoy being able to like the posts of people who I started out debating with, but then we reached a point of agreement. It was less about one of us changing our minds, and more a matter of filtering out and acknowledging disagreements, and pushing past those to find opinions we had it common. Then just concentrating on that for a post or two instead.

And if I could go from one thread debating someone on topic A, and then agree with them in topic B, that felt pretty good as well.

I also think that people who are in the minority of people who hold a specific opinion on this forum shouldn't feel bad for that. I've had opinions that went against the political grain of this website, saw few if anyone liking my posts, and saw many likes on the posts of those who disagreed with me. I can relate to that, and I don't think it should be a big deal. If I can disagree with a majority of people on a given topic, and do so showing as much or more respect to them as they're showing to me, then I feel I've done justice to my opinion.

When doing that, I also feel that I'm remaining true to myself, and not just chasing praise or popular opinion. Sometimes it feels good to not get any likes.

And yes, just to avoid replies consisting of someone solely typing "^ this" is another good reason.

Before we split politics from off-topic, there was a poll asking the community if they wanted that to happen. While I understand the difference in this situation as it relates to majority political views being praised over the minority political views, I still wish we had been asked about this beforehand. Perhaps with public votes enabled, and paying careful attention to the more hard-left leaning social progressive posters, who are usually the ones who so often have opinions that aren't shared by most users here. Did they even really want this?

Nov 5, 2016
One Big Room, Full Of Bad Bitches
I also think that people who are in the minority of people who hold a specific opinion on this forum shouldn't feel bad for that. I've had opinions that went against the political grain of this website, saw few if anyone liking my posts, and saw many likes on the posts of those who disagreed with me. I can relate to that, and I don't think it should be a big deal. If I can disagree with a majority of people on a given topic, and do so showing as much or more respect to them as they're showing to me, then I feel I've done justice to my opinion.
I agree that it shouldn’t be a big deal but it’s something I can’t help but notice. It stops me from getting involved in numerous political threads.

Like, I knew when I went into the Gillette thread that I could do my best to articulate my opinion on it and it wouldn’t matter. I would only get one or two likes, if any, and someone could reply to me with a picture of snowflake or dumb face Keanu Reeves meme and get 20. That happens all the time (not just specifically with me, in general), and kinda makes me feel like “welp maybe I should’ve just kept my mouth shut.”

I wrote in the Meta thread awhile ago that I notice odd trends with likes, and that one poster can write the equivalent or equal response of another posters mass liked comment but get far less. There are politics to Likes. I feel like what gets liked or not has more to do with the poster, not the actual post, in many cases (not all).

The real question is should I care? Why do I care? And I don’t have an answer. It seems like a realy trivial thing to obsess over and probably hints at a “me problem” I need to work on.

However, I will stick with my guns and say that I would bet that people would be surprised if they could see a list of the most liked posts on this sub. Based on my brief “research” (research meaning just making mental notes as I browse the sub) there’s definitely a trend that I think would surprise people.

Yes, fantastic, deserving posts from guys like strange headache strange headache would fill much of the list, but I think there’s a lot of polar opposite style posts up there too.

At the end of the day, for political discussion, I think they end up being more distracting than rewarding.

I joked with someone the other day about how I think “get woke, go broke” is a dumb saying and that the only time I’ve seen it actually is with Likes on GAF. As soon as I stood up and out’d myself as a liberal cuck souboy I definitely stopped getting likes from a handful of people, no matter what.

I guess, basicslly, I feel like political discussions shouldn’t have popularity contest aspects to them.

Also, to all the “people are just ‘this’ a lot and clutter” talk, if we are being honest, that still happens even with Likes

Last edited:

bigedole

Mar 10, 2015
Austin, TX
Why does everything need to be a 'hill to die on'.. I'm sick of this phrase.
Do you really want "a hill to die on" to be your hill to die on? This could get messy really fast.

No, what you're doing is trying to level the playing field, in effect saying "all comments are equal, no child left behind". If the forum as a whole was liking based on political affiliation rather than effort/critical thinking/humour, it would be an issue, but that wasn't happening in my estimation. It's fixing what ain't broke.
I really appreciate the irony of someone using Robido as an example of a victim of "Likes gone bad" when he's the clearest example on this forum of someone using likes exactly the way you describe, only to support ideology and not effort/critical thinking/humor. He will like the stupidest one liners if it attacks the right people.

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
I agree that it shouldn’t be a big deal but it’s something I can’t help but notice. It stops me from getting involved in numerous political threads.

Like, I knew when I went into the Gillette thread that I could do my best to articulate my opinion on it and it wouldn’t matter. I would only get one or two likes, if any, and someone could reply to me with a picture of snowflake or dumb face Keanu Reeves meme and get 20. That happens all the time (not just specifically with me, in general), and kinda makes me feel like “welp maybe I should’ve just kept my mouth shut.”
I think you ought to know by now that people appreciate you dude, consider the response to you buggering off. That should be enough to tell you that people appreciate what you post. Likes shouldn't be a penis-measuring contest.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Some others have mentioned that maybe the "wrong" posts were getting too many Likes.

If you browse politics, your eye will be drawn to the posts with a lot of likes. Seeing which posts have Likes (and which don't) may color someone's opinion of the board as a whole and discourage them from participating. We can't base things merely on risk, though...

On the whole, the discourse in Politics is fairly polite and posters who won't extend basic courtesy and politeness will catch a ban (lots of our bans are aimed at people who go too far on the Politics board. Should make you pause and think...). I think GAF does a pretty good job overall of not stifling discussion in the Politics board while also limiting/banning the sort of threads that are only intended to rile up. Do Likes help us met that goal?

When I see an opinion I agree with receiving few/no likes next to an opinion I disagree with getting a ton of likes, what will my conclusion be?

I can tell you what my conclusion won't be: "Oh, that post is getting a lot of Likes. Even though I disagree with it, I guess that large number of Likes has given me a reason to pause and reconsider. Wow, and now I've changed my opinion on the matter"

Yeah right.

Instead, when the reader sees all these likes on a post they don't agree with, the reader's conclusion will be something we see posted rather frequently (though it has declined in recent months);

lolol this place is an echo chamber
Can't believe there are people in this thread endorsing [thing]
Typical GAF, with [opinion] running rampant on the front page and mods not doing anything.

Therefore, I see the value of removing Likes. The lazy people who want to draw conclusions about GAF based on Likes won't be able to. The people who make good posts will still make them. The attention-seekers who stir up and the "brave champions" who jump in to correct them won't have much of an audience any more.

And while we will see Quotes that are just glorified Likes, that's hardly a new problem. Drive-bys and shitposts are as old as forums themselves.

I wrote in the Meta thread awhile ago that I notice odd trends with likes, and that one poster can write the equivalent or equal response of another posters mass liked comment but get far less. There are politics to Likes. I feel like what gets liked or not has more to do with the poster, not the actual post, in many cases (not all).

The real question is should I care? Why do I care? And I don’t have an answer. It seems like a realy trivial thing to obsess over and probably hints at a “me problem” I need to work on.

However, I will stick with my guns and say that I would bet that people would be surprised if they could see a list of the most liked posts on this sub. Based on my brief “research” (research meaning just making mental notes as I browse the sub) there’s definitely a trend that I think would surprise people.

Yes, fantastic, deserving posts from guys like strange headache strange headache would fill much of the list, but I think there’s a lot of polar opposite style posts up there too.

At the end of the day, for political discussion, I think they end up being more distracting than rewarding.

I joked with someone the other day about how I think “get woke, go broke” is a dumb saying and that the only time I’ve seen it actually is with Likes on GAF. As soon as I stood up and out’d myself as a liberal cuck souboy I definitely stopped getting likes from a handful of people, no matter what.

I guess, basicslly, I feel like political discussions shouldn’t have popularity contest aspects to them.

Also, to all the “people are just ‘this’ a lot and clutter” talk, if we are being honest, that still happens even with Likes
This outcome is due to the people using the forum and their maturity level.

Removing Likes probably won't change their underlying motivations, but as far as the forum itself is concerned maybe it'll alleviate the problem you're noticing.

I think some posters need to stop "fighting the good fight" on the Politics board and come join us in Gaming and OT. It's not a matter of "giving up" or "conceding to your opponents". It's a matter of deciding how you want to contribute to the forum as a whole. What value is being added by arguing with troll accounts? What value is being added by reading through second-hand opinions on Politics and tagging the funniest ones with the Like button?

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
Just a thought that might interest our right-wingers, given the love of supply-and-demand economics.. how about each poster gets a limited number of likes per month, stored in their account, which they can use through that month, that way they have to put them to use highlighting the best posts in their opinion. Let the market decide. Just a thought. (as a leftie I now feel dirty)

ssolitare

Manbaby: The Member
Jan 12, 2009
So much passion over a button. I personally don't care, but overall it won't be long before everyone gets used to it.

Nov 5, 2016
Just a thought that might interest our right-wingers, given the love of supply-and-demand economics.. how about each poster gets a limited number of likes per month, stored in their account, which they can use through that month, that way they have to put them to use highlighting the best posts in their opinion. Let the market decide. Just a thought. (as a leftie I now feel dirty)
GAF could go full Dark Side and start charging a dollar per like. They say money wins elections, let’s see if it wins threads.

(I’m 100 percent kidding)

Dec 3, 2018
Look at the post-to-like ratio of people like myself or Cunth. Likes overwhelmingly favor shitposts and dad jokes. The best way to get a like on this forum is to derail a thread in an amusing way.

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
Look at the post-to-like ratio of people like myself or Cunth. Likes overwhelmingly favor shitposts and dad jokes. The best way to get a like on this forum is to derail a thread in an amusing way.
You say that like it's a bad thing. Injecting a bit of humour can be an excellent way of calming people's rage.

Nymphae

Jun 3, 2013
Canada

From Evillore's like it's evident that it's the visibility of the likes that is an issue. I have a hard time believing people who would post, won't, simply because of an abundance of visible likes that disagree with them.

Why not allow users to either hide or show likes, per forum, via a profile preference?

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
I don't get the lack of a real explanation. Can only assume the people who don't like being disagreed with are back to crying about wrong-think, probably message the mods about "is this the kind of board you want", etc.

Dec 6, 2008
TX
I really appreciate the irony of someone using Robido as an example of a victim of "Likes gone bad" when he's the clearest example on this forum of someone using likes exactly the way you describe, only to support ideology and not effort/critical thinking/humor. He will like the stupidest one liners if it attacks the right people.
You (the general you not you specifically) seem to care an awful lot about what I like. I wish I shared the sentiment.

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Jan 7, 2018
Here's my solution...and most may not like it but hear me out.

Keep likes but make it anonymous. To balance things out institute a dislike feature(that is also anonymous) but is tied to replies (in other words you have the option to dislike when replying to a post).

And instead of displaying the number associated with likes/dislikes have a icon or status bar that indicates the posts popularity based on color change(ie green low popularity/yellow med popular/red high popularity) I think this would be a fun and fair way to keep engagement high while taking the numbers game out of it...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009
I don't know about Likes, but have you seen my Achievement Points number?

Nov 5, 2016
Here's my solution...and most may not like it but hear me out.

Keep likes but make it anonymous. To balance things out institute a dislike feature(that is also anonymous) but is tied to replies (in other words you have the option to dislike when replying to a post).

And instead of displaying the number associated with likes/dislikes have a icon or status bar that indicates the posts popularity based on color change(ie green low popularity/yellow med popular/red high popularity) I think this would be a fun and fair way to keep engagement high while taking the numbers game out of it...
I can’t help but feel like dislikes in any form are just a bad idea

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Mar 1, 2017
maybe keep likes but only the user who receives the like can see it. that way the circle jerkers on here can just keep it to themselves and eventually come to realize how useless it is

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jun 26, 2007
Best Coast
Dude, I think you're overthinking this lol

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
May 22, 2018
If people still want to be able to like a post in politics, would a compromise be that you can like posts and the person is notified but nothing is displayed on the posts ?

Helios

Jun 13, 2018
Beyond the Colors of Time
I feel like the removal is a good idea. I imagine that if someone has a view that goes against the majority they will be discouraged when they see a reply that gets a numerous amount of likes. This probably goes double if someone makes a long post and someone answers with a joke.
Besides that, this will encourage people to speak their mind rather than "attach" to someone else's argument.
Alongside's Schrödinger's cat Schrödinger's cat idea of stealth likes, this will still allow people to say "this" or to award a well-written post without skewing the discussion.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2004
Here are my thoughts:

1. I really like the Like button in Gaming and Offtopic. Not only does it feel good to get a like, but it’s an easy way to acknowledge somebody’s reply to me.

2. Since I rarely post in Politics, I am not personally bothered by the removal. I can’t quite figure out the rationale, but I would guess it relates to weaponising the opinions if individual posters, or Gaf as whole, in other forums to support the “bigot/alt-right/nazi” narrative some ex-posters peddle.

3. Dislike button is a bad idea. It’s a passive aggressive action only fit to small, highly personally driven forums like SBAF.

nkarafo

Nov 30, 2012
Do you also get upset that he can ban people and you don't?
Evilore and the mods being the only ones who can ban people has a point. Imagine if everyone could do that, the forum would be wiped out in a day.

Evilore being the only one who can like a post though.... what's the point of that? Is his "like" so much more meaningful than others? It feels like "the King approves" or "Senpai notices you" kind of thing. It's weird.

Last edited: