• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disaster: Day of Crisis coming on October 24th

RobertM said:
That is certainly not a good month to be in if they are also releasing the game in US the same month.
Don't worry it's a Nintendo game, so it's one of the only Wii games that will actually sell.

Right?

...right?

Scrubking

tax-bear%5b1%5d.jpg

RobertM

Aaron Strife said:
Don't worry it's a Nintendo game, so it's one of the only Wii games that will actually sell.

Right?

...right?
Right, especially a game we heard little to nothing about.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
KevinCow said:
Didn't BWii and Fire Emblem bomb?

BWii: sort of; in the absolute scale, yeah. versus BW1, no. BW1 did VERY VERY VERY poorly and clearly BW2 was greenlighted with that knowledge. I don't have late-life sales for BW1, but based on the first few months of each BW2 has outsold BW1's lifetime.

Fire Emblem: sold well.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
RobertM said:
Right, especially a game we heard little to nothing about.

Did you know that Pokémon, when it was first launched, wasn't hyped? It was released as a sort of experiment, to see if it would sell.

Boy...

Not to say that Disaster will be successful though. But hype isn't an absolute requirement for a game to sell. In fact, Nintendo's whole strategy about game announcements revolves around the belief that too much hype for too long can kill interest about it.

Farnack

Banned
Kilrogg said:
Did you know that Pokémon, when it was first launched, wasn't hyped? It was released as a sort of experiment, to see if it would sell.

Boy...

Not to say that Disaster will be successful though. But hype isn't an absolute requirement for a game to sell. In fact, Nintendo's whole strategy about game announcements revolves around the belief that too much hype for too long can kill interest about it.
But marketing sells a game, and there is none.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Farnack said:

Who's to say that there won't be any marketing? The game will be released in 2 months, that's a lot of time. Also, about Pokémon, it was barely marketed, if at all.

Maybe they won't advertise until it's released? Or maybe they don't expect it to sell that much in Japan but have greater hopes for the US and Europe?

Zylander

I know this isn't a new perspective but just from the screenshots this very much reminds me of the two Disaster Report games on the PS2.

They weren't perfect by any means, but they got the important parts right. Which meant that they were fun and interesting to play and very satisfying survival/adventure games.

Ever since the very initial E3 footage (which actually looked quite intriguing), this game has looked like non-stop arse every time it has reared its head, and I've no idea how anyone can remain excited by it.

We shall see.

bryehn

Zylander said:
I know this isn't a new perspective but just from the screenshots this very much reminds me of the two Disaster Report games on the PS2.

They weren't perfect by any means, but they got the important parts right. Which meant that they were fun and interesting to play and very satisfying survival/adventure games.

I pray someone's bankrolled Irem a few million to start Raw Danger 2/Michigan 3 for one of the newer systems.

Woah, that was random! I was kinda hoping that it was delayed for Motion + support but damn I can't complain really!

Perfect timing! Fills a nice hole in Nintendo's 2008 lineup perfectly! Now, how about a US release for November!

Tiktaalik

Kilrogg said:

What the hell? Maybe in Japan it was a stealth release, but Nintendo of America gave it a marketing blitz of unheard of proportions that was probably not bested until Halo 2.

I mean damn, they renamed Topeka Kansas, "Topikachu" for a day. The hype was ridiculous.

NOE and NOA's press sites have nothing on this, and I see nothing on Japan's Wii.com and Nintendo homepage about this.

Is this a trick to see who will post this up?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
TSA said:
NOE and NOA's press sites have nothing on this, and I see nothing on Japan's Wii.com and Nintendo homepage about this.

Is this a trick to see who will post this up?

This. The OP provides no proof or link, and Disaster coming out in under 2 months before it gets a Japanese release seems incredibly unlikely.

wsippel

Banned
schuelma said:
This. The OP provides no proof or link, and Disaster coming out in under 2 months before it gets a Japanese release seems incredibly unlikely.
It seems European (or at least German) retailers got the info earlier today.

Shiggy

Stumpokapow said:
Speculation.

Well, the official press release said the delay was for increasing the game's quality, so it's not really speculation.

OFLC, not OFCL.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

Sources for this releasedate include European distributors and retailers. I don't see a reason why Nintendo of Europe lie to both of them when their old lists showed the game for TBA2009 release. Additionally, there's no reason to delay a finished game when there is not much coming.

Mesijs

Play.com

Nintendo Wii
Disaster: Day Of Crisis
Enlarge Image

Disaster: Day Of Crisis

Customer rating: Not yet rated ( Not yet rated ) | Write a review »
£32.99 Free Delivery

RRP: £39.99 | You save: £7.00 (17%)

Pre-order. | Due for release on 27/03/2009
BUY

Ranger X

Wow Bravo.

October is so totally oversaturated right now. This is sadly a game that i will probably skip. WTF, this needed to come out in September or December.

TunaLover said:
mmmmh Maybe FFCC:CB is getting the same non-media treatment as DDoC...
Is S-E usually one to keep its games under the hood for so long without showing anything? I wouldn't be surprised if this game got cancelled.

hokahey

For those that have been paying attention, this is in line with Nintendo's new strategy of not really talking about a game until a month or two before release.

See Wario Land: Shake-It

I think this comes from the private Nintendo conference held last week I believe. I was told that Professor Layton will be the big DS game this holiday and that Animal Crossing is a December release for Europe.

Also, expect a giant advertising campaign for all their old games with Girls Aloud, Ronan Keating and a few others dragged in for some ads. What a great way to spend all that money........

wsippel

Banned
Farnack said:
That's only partially true. Marketing is expensive. A risky up-front investment. And you don't neccessarily sell that much more, especially for core games. In many cases, it makes more sense not to have a big marketing campaign.

So at barely 2 monts to it's release, we only saw a bunch of images (scans in the majority), like 20 seconds of footage (from months old builds), no proper trailer, no marketing, no interviews, no impressions, no web page and dissapeared from the last and most importants shows....

*Looks at TV*

*Sees Wii Sports and Wii Fit ad's*

You gotta love Nintendo marketing.....

Shiggy

Chibbi Brady said:
I think this comes from the private Nintendo conference held last week I believe. I was told that Professor Layton will be the big DS game this holiday and that Animal Crossing is a December release for Europe.

Also, expect a giant advertising campaign for all their old games with Girls Aloud, Ronan Keating and a few others dragged in for some ads. What a great way to spend all that money........

Sounds correct.
Tbh, I was surprised that Nintendo will be publishing the KORG DS-10 software and that we will see games like Rhythm Heaven or Mystery Case Files still this year.

Top Bottom