• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disaster:Day of Crisis New Pics - It Lives

bluheim

Banned
When I said Nintendo had fallen as far as LucasArts...

This is looking awful, look like a PS2 game. Once upon a time, Nintendo was doing great looking games. Aaah, good ol' days.

farnham

Banned
bluheim said:

This is looking awful, look like a PS2 game. Once upon a time, Nintendo was doing great looking games. Aaah, good ol' days.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

This game is developed by Monolith not Nintendo

farnham said:

Monolithsoft IS now considered a Nintendo company. The game doesn't look horrible by any means - though not as good as Xenosaga III. The models look better than in Baten Kaitos though.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
duckroll said:
I'm still not very convinced by this, but it's a good sign that they're showing more media for it now. It looks like a run of the mill survival action game from the early PS1 era where everyone was chasing in on RE clones honestly. The game seems to be split between adventure parts and action parts. In the adventure parts you find people to rescue them, explore the area, and avoid disaster spots, etc. In the action parts it's pretty much a gun shooting game, and it looks like it's on rails and in first person. The only times the character model appears in the gun shooting parts is when he's hiding behind a pillar and/or reloading.

Here are some interesting stuff I see in the menu screens:

- You can set where the radio messages and the gun sound fx comes out from. The screen shows the Radio messages output set to the Wiimote, and the Gun sound fx output set to the Wiimote as well.

- There are items in the game, and you have an inventory. They look like the normal restorative items for health and whatnot.

- The game is stage based and you get a ranking for how well you did at the end of each stage.

- You earn BP from combat and SP from rescueing people (and probably completing various QTE events successfully). BP is used to buy new weapons and upgrade the weapons, while SP is used to improve the character stats.

- You start with 3 basic weapons available - Rifle 1, Handgun 1 and Assault Rifle 1. Each of these are the start of a weapons tree, kinda like a skill tree in RPGs (lol Monolithsoft). You buy more weapons with BP via this tree.

- For weapons you already have, there are 5 areas you can upgrade them in - Power, ammo capacity, reload speed, etc. Upgrading will also cost BP.

- There are no screens for character stats upgrades, so I dunno what you can spend SP on.

thx duckroll - always comin with those nice news/informations :D
sounds nice :)

Amir0x

Banned
This does not look so good graphically, I thought they'd have improved it a lot over the months but ouch.

Still, concept is compelling will probably buy

fresquito

bluheim said:

Yeah, that once upon a time is mere months ago. Galaxy and Brawl look awesome, specially Galaxy, which in my book is one of the best looking games this generation.

Can't wait, SOS The Final Report (Disaster Report) and Raw Danger were two of my favorite games last gen. I hope this matches some of the epic situations!

That actually doesn't look too bad graphically. Maybe my standards have been set way too low for the Wii based on past games, but yeah, this looks alright.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Disaster_DayOfCrisis_022.jpg

It's easier to look past the mediocre graphics when seeing a pic like this.

That could be awesome in motion.

everyday i'm a little more dissapointed that the Wii is not HD.... fucking jaggies..

still.. gameplay is more important to me. I'm interested to see some vids.. won't be long before we see them i guess..

bluheim

Banned
farnham said:

It is published by Nintendo = it is a Nintendo game.

Or maybe, you consider that Resistance or Ratchet and Clank are non-Sony games ?

Weisheit

bluheim said:

Or maybe, you consider that Resistance or Ratchet and Clank are non-Sony games ?
You should consider cleaning that sand out of your vagina...

duckroll

bluheim said:

When I said Sony had fallen as far as LucasArts...

Lair is looking awful, look like a PS2 game. Once upon a time, Sony was doing great looking games. Aaah, good ol' days.

Haruspex

Banned
I'm a little saddened that Disaster seems to be stage-based with arcade gameplay, I guess the technical constraints meant an open world was not possible, or they were having difficulty integrating set-pieces into an open world.

I'll wait until I see gameplay footage before judging further, I hope this new media has only just emerged due to Nintendo's new strategy of saying little or nothing until 2 months before release, rather than because they are not confident in the quality of the title. Still looking forward to it for now, the main character's beard gives me hope.

This is exactly why its hard for me to play my wii, then game on my pc, 360 and ps3 then go back to wii then go back to pc 360, ps3 lol.. its like i want to play my wii but the visuals just crush my heart all too often..some wii games DO LOOK GOOD for some odd reason but then we get games like this that look terrible with low rez textures,etc..

Flakster99

Graphic whores unite!

Amir0x said:
This does not look so good graphically, I thought they'd have improved it a lot over the months but ouch.

Still, concept is compelling will probably buy

Agreed. I'll also add much of the UI, which there is a lot of, looks interesting, as well as the aiming in-game pointer mechanism.

Heh, can't believe I've turned into a fan of unique, different control mechanism schemes. I know it is what the Wii was created for, what it is advertised for, but it is working and is a definite key is gaining my interest.

+1 interest!

bluheim said:
You poor lil soul. . . to think that, one would have to have been struck pretty hard on the head.

Anyway, I want some higher rate pics and a trailer!

Not expecting those things to make this look like TP or anything but that site seems to have bumped down the pretty.

The gameplay I see seems really interesting.

. .This game seems to be one of those "tap on all things" games :D

fresquito

Haruspex said:
I'm a little saddened that Disaster seems to be stage-based with arcade gameplay, I guess the technical constraints meant an open world was not possible, or they were having difficulty integrating set-pieces into an open world.

I'll wait until I see gameplay footage before judging further, I hope this new media has only just emerged due to Nintendo's new strategy of saying little or nothing until 2 months before release, rather than because they are not confident in the quality of the title. Still looking forward to it for now, the main character's beard gives me hope.
Of course an open world wasn't possible. After all GTA4 is the first GTA with an open world...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I know pretty much everyone is complaining, but suddenly, after this batch of screens, the game has launched to the top of my waiting list.

I guess I'm compelled by the QTEs. :/

Looks pretty awful still. At least they seem to have upped the trees from their N64 level a bit :lol .

Still interested to see how they want to bring all these different elements together.

bluheim

Banned
duckroll said:
When I said Sony had fallen as far as LucasArts...

Lair is looking awful, look like a PS2 game. Once upon a time, Sony was doing great looking games. Aaah, good ol' days.

Lair looks great, it just plays very bad. :D

But you are wrong anyway. Because Nintendo owns 80% of Monolith. They are a first party developer, not a second party one like Factor 5 was on Lair.

fresquito said:
Of course an open world wasn't possible. After all GTA4 is the first GTA with an open world...

What is even worse is that the bad graphics could have been due to the open world nature of the game. With a stage based game, there is no excuse.

Haruspex said:

...or perhaps that wasn't the intention of the developers at any stage? Wasn't the whole "wow, GTA with DISASTERS!" just got up by fans and bloggers based on the (very) limited info available?

Akai

Mr.Potato Head said:
This is exactly why its hard for me to play my wii, then game on my pc, 360 and ps3 then go back to wii then go back to pc 360, ps3 lol.. its like i want to play my wii but the visuals just crush my heart all too often..some wii games DO LOOK GOOD for some odd reason but then we get games like this that look terrible with low rez textures,etc..

Do you just chunk all your old consoles in the trash can with every new generation?

duckroll

Cosmonaut X said:
...or perhaps that wasn't the intention of the developers at any stage? Wasn't the whole "wow, GTA with DISASTERS!" just got up by fans and bloggers based on the (very) limited info available?

Yes, it was bullshit. This game was always meant to be action/adventure + QTE events.

Shiggy

Those screenshots came from the build that was to be released in July. We all know, the game was delayed due to quality issues or to optimize the quality(official reason at least).

I personally CANNOT wait for Nintendo to go HD.

Mario Galaxy and more are visual delights in SD. Imagine that world in HD. this game alng with others makes me wish HD was now with Nintendo purely to see what the real vision of this game was!

Haruspex

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:

I wasn't hoping for anything along the lines of GTA, just more than a string of set-pieces and QTEs . Why so defensive over a few screens?

bluheim

Banned
Akai said:
Do you just chunk all your old consoles in the trash can with every new generation?

But they are OLD consoles. They are looking bad because they are OLD consoles. We have fond memories with this OLD consoles, that's why we keep them, and that's what keep us playing them even if the games look terrible.

But the Wii is not an OLD console. It is a new system, and an expensive one.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
DefectiveReject said:
I personally CANNOT wait for Nintendo to go HD.

Mario Galaxy and more are visual delights in SD. Imagine that world in HD. this game alng with others makes me wish HD was now with Nintendo purely to see what the real vision of this game was!

HD would make SMG a soooo much better game :)

Shiggy said:
Those screenshots came from the build that was to be released in July. We all know, the game was delayed due to quality issues or to optimize the quality(official reason at least).
You know this for sure?

Well, when will there be "final build" screens"? :lol

I never expected much from the graphics, only the interesting gameplay concept so I don't really care.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I er, don't get how people think this looks awful. Maybe I need to check my eyes or something, because this looks quite fine to me. A bit better than before at least.

Like others said, I would like to see it in motion at least, it might look the absolute pits whilst moving.

bluheim

Banned
SovanJedi said:
I er, don't get how people think this looks awful. Maybe I need to check my eyes or something, because this looks quite fine to me. A bit better than before at least.

OK, maybe my eyes are deceiving me but this looks awful to me :

ddocwi056.jpg

Shiggy

Black-Wind said:
You know this for sure?

Well, when will there be "final build" screens"? :lol

I never expected much from the graphics, only the interesting gameplay concept so I don't really care.

Those were promo shots for the Japanese release. The game saves are from July 3rd and since Europe seems to get game first we probably would've got screenshots without Japanese text.

Furthermore, some screenshots are from this ad:
disasterdayoc2.jpg

Akai

bluheim said:
But they are OLD consoles. They are looking bad because they are OLD consoles. We have fond memories with this OLD consoles, that's why we keep them, and that's what keep us playing them even if the games look terrible.

That's the stupidest reason I've ever heard...You should be playing games because they are fun to play, not because of worthless nostalgia...

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Akai said:
That's the stupidest reason I've ever heard...You should be playing games because they are fun to play, not because of worthless nostalgia...

Don't bother answering Bluheim, he is just a troll and is going to get banned soon...

jrricky

Banned
Fantastical said:
Looks like it is all on-rails, which is what I thought when it was first shown.
wait how did u get that from the screens?

Ah, and i need to see it in motion please.

Top Bottom