• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disaster:Day of Crisis New Pics - It Lives

KevinCow

Banned
GAF: "Nintendo never releases any core games anymore! And if they do, they're based on Mario or Zelda or something!"

Nintendo: "Here's a core game that's a new IP."

GAF: "It sucks!"

Oddly enough this game had all but totally fallen off my radar until I noticed this thread and thought to click on it finally.

All told thus far, I'm now cautiously optimistic about this game being awesome. Ghost Squad'ish content + an interesting setting sounds lke a winning combination. I can already see the potential for many replays, ranks, difficulty settings, each gun path, etc.

Really...if they go the extra mile on the unlockables and present significant amounts of action---this could turn out to be a stellar game.

Looks like my wallet will get a bit lighter this Fall/Winter in the USA I presume.

Haunted

KevinCow said:
GAF: "Nintendo never releases any core games anymore! And if they do, they're based on Mario or Zelda or something!"

Welcome to GAF?

KevinCow said:

Do you honestly believe you're seeing the quality of a Mario or Zelda game in these screeshots?

If answer is yes: accept you are wrong.

If answer is no: this is exactly why GAF is complaining.

Nintendo: "We'll try something new, just don't expect us to put quality into it as if it was a Mario or Zelda or something!"

bluheim said:
But they are OLD consoles. They are looking bad because they are OLD consoles. We have fond memories with this OLD consoles, that's why we keep them, and that's what keep us playing them even if the games look terrible.

okay, you aren't allowed to have that avatar anymore.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
KevinCow said:

:lol Too true.

beef3483

jonnybryce said:
Do you honestly believe you're seeing the quality of a Mario or Zelda game in these screeshots?

Nintendo: "We'll try something new, just don't expect us to put quality into it as if it was a Mario or Zelda or something!"

Besides graphics there is nothing to judge. But judging a game by it's graphics is another of Neogafs traits.

jonnybryce said:

. . . .It's a new IP made by a team that I think aims to make a Nintendo RPG at some point after this. I wouldn't expect SMG or TP level quality. (you would be hard pressed to find that level of quality in most games IMO)

Hell, it took Pikmin up to it's 3rd game to get Nintendo to lean on it, tossing it in with LoZ and Mario as confirmed core Nintendo titles being deviloped for the Wii. . . I don't think this game was ever mean't to get that kind of backing.

And at the very least can we wait for some new vids of game play or something before ripping on it? They seem to be going after alot of different trades in this game. . . I wouldn't mind the graphics if they can successed in making it feel like a good, intence disaster game.

KevinCow

Banned
jonnybryce said:

No, but I also don't think it looks terrible. I mean yeah, the screenshots look like shit, but then so do all of Nintendo's games. Twilight Princess looked like shit in screens, Mario Galaxy looked like shit in screens, Metroid Prime 3 looked like shit in screens. If they really do have buildings collapsing and floods chasing you in real time, it could look pretty impressive in motion, especially for the Wii.

Gameplay-wise, I don't really know what's going on in those screens. I see a number of QTEs, but then there were a lot of QTEs in screens of God of War and RE4, and in those games they turned out to just be a smaller part of the full game. I also see some shooting and exploring.

I'll wait until I have some videos and hands-on impressions to even begin to form an opinion on the game. It might be shit, it might be good. I don't know. A few screenshots isn't enough information to form a definitive opinion. If anything, I'd give it the benefit of the doubt because Nintendo-published core games are usually at least decent (in my opinion anyway, I know there are a number of people here on GAF who have declared every Nintendo game in the past decade to be utter shit), they didn't cancel it like they did Project Hammer, and they've delayed the game a few times. Oh, and Nintendo bought Monolith shortly after revealing this game, so either they were impressed by this or something else they were working on.

kiruyama said:
you're right

flood-antigo-2004b.jpg

where is all the color?

There are about 10 more different colors in that relatively colorless pic than in most of this game's screenshots.

KevinCow said:

game ain't Zack and Wiki brudda, but I do have hope (not a large amount)

Fantastical

Death Prophet
KevinCow said:

So you're saying we should praise this just because it is a new IP? I understand what you are trying to say, but this doesn't look like a top tier Nintendo franchise. This looks like something really quickly done... and its not.

Once again though, these could be old screenshots or just bad screenshots.

Wow, these screens pretty much confirm all my fears.

I'm starting to wish this really WAS vapourwear now. I really wanted this to be good, but got a bad vibe when I first saw screens and media over a year ago.

Spewing. Wanted it to be good. Maybe there's still hope?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
2 Minutes Turkish said:
Wow, these screens pretty much confirm all my fears.

I'm starting to wish this really WAS vapourwear now. I really wanted this to be good, but got a bad vibe when I first saw screens and media over a year ago.

Spewing. Wanted it to be good. Maybe there's still hope?
basically all these screens confirm is that it isn't vaporware. wait for video and impressions before jumping the gun on this one. they should show up in a month and a half.

batbeg

All over the place. Some shots look really impressive, others look like they are done on the Dreamcast. I'm hoping in motion it's more of the former and less of the latter :) And the arcadey-looking gameplay promises fun to be had, though it certainly doesn't look like some epic, seamless adventure (which every game shouldn't strive to be, anyway).

Dolphin

Banned
Looks like shit, and doesn't sound like it has very ambitious or creative gameplay either. So far looks and sounds like a "borrow from friend" sort of game.

doomed1 said:
basically all these screens confirm is that it isn't vaporware. wait for video and impressions before jumping the gun on this one. they should show up in a month and a half.

I know it's NOT vaporwear. I'm saying these screens kinda make me wish it was.

I understand the screens aren't always a good judge of a games quality. But let's be honest, sometimes they really are.

Sometimes you just get a bad vibe. Intuition if you will, and I don't think mine has ever been too off.

The only time I can remember being wrong about a games outcome was Assassin's Creed. I was expecting it to be utter shit, and I even saw it in the flesh being played and STILL thought it looked crud. Totally changed my view once I got my OWN hands on it, totally changed my view.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
batbeg said:
All over the place. Some shots look really impressive, others look like they are done on the Dreamcast. I'm hoping in motion it's more of the former and less of the latter :) And the arcadey-looking gameplay promises fun to be had, though it certainly doesn't look like some epic, seamless adventure (which every game shouldn't strive to be, anyway).
looking at the exploration elements of the game and then the arcadey shooting aspects, a seamless journey is possible. it all depends on the movement within those "railshooter" sequences. what may be happening is that the shooting mechanics aren't based on open shooting and instead are dependent upon finding (possibly preset) cover. it could make for a very seamless transition between freewalk aspects and shooting aspects. unfortunately we still don't know enough about the game mechanics other than the vague basics.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
I know it's NOT vaporwear. I'm saying these screens kinda make me wish it was.

I understand the screens aren't always a good judge of a games quality. But let's be honest, sometimes they really are.

Sometimes you just get a bad vibe. Intuition if you will, and I don't think mine has ever been too off.

The only time I can remember being wrong about a games outcome was Assassin's Creed. I was expecting it to be utter shit, and I even saw it in the flesh being played and STILL thought it looked crud. Totally changed my view once I got my OWN hands on it, totally changed my view.
funny when i actually played AC, i thought it was drawn out shit, an example of great premise, mediocre execution. considering, this could be the same, but it looks alot more focused, something that AC didn't have, so if this fails its premise, it will be for an entirely different reason.

regardless, i would NOT judge a thing from these screens. they're far below the quality they should be, as if they were scanned or something. i would wait for gameplay footage before trusting that vibe of yours.

beef3483

Chibi Robo wasn't a super gorgeous game either. I really think people need to lower thier expectations in regards to Wii graphics (it's closer to ps2 and xbox than ps3 and 360) and instead focus on control innovations. Just from the screens it's very obvious the game seems to make extensive use of the controller.

Just like Skip and Retro, Monolith is a fully owned studio of Nintendo and I have no doubt they put this game through extensive quality control.

batbeg

doomed1 said:
looking at the exploration elements of the game and then the arcadey shooting aspects, a seamless journey is possible. it all depends on the movement within those "railshooter" sequences. what may be happening is that the shooting mechanics aren't based on open shooting and instead are dependent upon finding (possibly preset) cover. it could make for a very seamless transition between freewalk aspects and shooting aspects. unfortunately we still don't know enough about the game mechanics other than the vague basics.

I agree a seamless journey is possible (though I'm not expecting it), but I meant to say it doesn't look like a seamless experience. The shooting sections definitely look like light-gun shooters, almost, with the reticule seeming to have little relation to Ray at times, we seemingly have in-car perspective driving sections, different perspectives depending on objectives, etc.

I'm not trying to put it down, but it does look like a mish-mash of concepts. Hopefully it's fun.

Johann

That is an awful lot of different gameplay styles. It's going to take an extraordinary amount of talent to keep them well meshed together.

OnPoint

Those environments look awful, but I'm still quite curious about this game. Kinda makes me wish Project H.A.M.M.E.R. was still coming, too.

Fantastical said:
So you're saying we should praise this just because it is a new IP?
I think he is saying "give it a chance and don't rip it just for ugly screens".

I understand what you are trying to say, but this doesn't look like a top tier Nintendo franchise.
Thats cause it aint, it's a new IP that has yet to prove it's self silly:lol

Once again though, these could be old screenshots or just bad screenshots.
Correct.

beef3483 said:
Besides graphics there is nothing to judge. But judging a game by it's graphics is another of Neogafs traits.

Ok, so if going back to the little scenario of asking + hating what's received, what's the problem? It's still not unfounded. If it was "stunning" like SMG, MP3 or LoZTP, people wouldn't be complaining.

I don't think anyone has honestly decided this is crap yet, excusing attempts to bring the lulz. We have graphics to judge, so we judge the graphics.

beef3483

jonnybryce said:
I don't think anyone has honestly decided this is crap yet, excusing attempts to bring the lulz. We have graphics to judge, so we judge the graphics.

A couple post above yours a guy just said that he'd rather this be vaporware. Pretty harsh things to say going only by screenshots, wouldn't you agree?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Tellyn said:
"Ex-US-Marine Raymond Bryce will drive, swim, run and shoot through 23 sections, while they are being destroyed by volcanos, tsunamis, hurricanes, floods and earthquakes. Furthermore he'll have to fight a dubious terrorist organisation called SURGE.

Ray will have to find fresh air when his lungs are filled with smoke and he'll have to eat to regain his strength. The player will have to save citizens from various dangerous situations and even apply first-aid measures. He'll also have to defuse bombs and whatnot using the Wii-mote and nunchuck."

Nintendo also promise lots of unlockables and a cinematic story.

From N-E.
Sounds interesting, but it basically lives or dies on whether they can pull off the gameplay. I'll wait for impressions, I don't know if Monolith Soft can pull that off. I never really doubted that there would be a "cinematic story" with tons of cut-scenes though. :lol

KevinCow said:
No, but I also don't think it looks terrible. I mean yeah, the screenshots look like shit, but then so do all of Nintendo's games. Twilight Princess looked like shit in screens, Mario Galaxy looked like shit in screens, Metroid Prime 3 looked like shit in screens. If they really do have buildings collapsing and floods chasing you in real time, it could look pretty impressive in motion, especially for the Wii.

Gameplay-wise, I don't really know what's going on in those screens. I see a number of QTEs, but then there were a lot of QTEs in screens of God of War and RE4, and in those games they turned out to just be a smaller part of the full game. I also see some shooting and exploring.

I'll wait until I have some videos and hands-on impressions to even begin to form an opinion on the game. It might be shit, it might be good. I don't know. A few screenshots isn't enough information to form a definitive opinion. If anything, I'd give it the benefit of the doubt because Nintendo-published core games are usually at least decent (in my opinion anyway, I know there are a number of people here on GAF who have declared every Nintendo game in the past decade to be utter shit), they didn't cancel it like they did Project Hammer, and they've delayed the game a few times. Oh, and Nintendo bought Monolith shortly after revealing this game, so either they were impressed by this or something else they were working on.

Thank god someone in here has some sense.

GAF's being way too quick to jump on the hate train with this one. We barely know anything about the game - hell, there hasn't been a single hands-on impression so far. Let's try to at least wait before claiming the game sucks. It might very well be crap, but it's far too early to make such a judgement.

It looks somewhat better than Baten Kaitos Origins' battle graphics. Which is pretty much what I was expecting.

Still don't know how this game plays.

This looks worse than a lot of first gen PS2 stuff.

Speaking personally, I thought Twilight Princess looked great. I thought Super Mario Galaxy looked great despite the jaggies. I was indifferent to Metroid Prime 3.

This, though. Compared to Zelda and Mario and Metroid, this looks like shit, visually. Extremely muddy textures, character models that look like they came from a PS2 launch title...

That better be some damn good gameplay.

Mr. Pointy said:
It looks somewhat better than Baten Kaitos Origins' battle graphics. Which is pretty much what I was expecting.

Maybe graphically, but you forget that Baten Kaitos Origins had fantastic art design that was predominant in the game. It's not the case for Disaster.

duckroll

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Maybe graphically, but you forget that Baten Kaitos Origins had fantastic art design that was predominant in the game. It's not the case for Disaster.

Which begs the question once more. What IS Honne doing? :eek:

duckroll said:
Which begs the question once more. What IS Honne doing? :eek:

I don't know. Maybe another RPG on DS, like Soma Bringer. Personally I think that the development of a game with Metal Gear inspiration like Disaster with exploration elements should have been given to a western studio. Retro for example.
And I would have let Monolith Soft develop another big Wii RPG. I mean: Monolith Soft is almost entirely composed by people who worked on RPGs in the past. But Nintendo is SO dumb recently. . . .

Top Bottom