• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disaster: Day of Crisis Official Thread of bears, salmon and marketing DIZASUTAAAA!!!

markatisu

pakkit said:
All the gameplay I've seen thus far looks ridiculously simple. I really hope there are multiple difficulties or the game's difficult goes up quick, because these look...almost insulting.

I dont think we have seen any advanced gameplay. Every single video seems to be showing the tutorial portions of the game (hence why the box comes up explaining what you are about to do)

I would hope that as you progress in the game those still dont come up, that would be annoying as hell

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
pakkit said:
All the gameplay I've seen thus far looks ridiculously simple. I really hope there are multiple difficulties or the game's difficult goes up quick, because these look...almost insulting.
It lets you choose from Normal or Hard when you start the game.

KevinCow

Banned
pakkit said:
These videos look like pretty much the tutorial parts. I'd bet that finding people will become progressively harder, and the mini-games to save them will become more complex. You can also see in screens and trailers that you'll advance to shooting bears and helicopters, which will most likely be more challenging than the retarded terrorists in these videos. I also noticed in this video, at 0:54-55, it looks like your weapons have stats or something? I'm guessing you can level them up. Then it looks like there might be some sort of RPG-like branching tree for weapons, which could be interesting.

markatisu

When does this come out in the UK? I might have to import that version if NOA has not announced one, that would be the first NOE game I have imported since Doshin the Giant on the GC

Linkup

The driving did seem pretty easy, at least the controls seemed smooth though. Soundtrack isn't half bad. They should just release it this year and move on.

Netto-kun

SSL21106.jpg

I'll start playing it once I am done with all the homeworks and eating.:D

KevinCow

Banned
Netto-kun said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/hansuramu/SSL21106.jpg[IMG]

I'll start playing it once I am done with all the homeworks and eating.:D[/QUOTE]
You could've just taken a picture of it on a desk or something instead of taking it through the mirror and then mirroring it on your computer. :P

pakkit

Banned
KevinCow said:
You could've just taken a picture of it on a desk or something instead of taking it through the mirror and then mirroring it on your computer. :p
It's way more Myspace this way. Eat fast, Netto!

Netto-kun

Hmm, I am not quite sure what I am should write, or what you guys want me to write.:lol

I stopped playing after beating the first stage, the one were the special force gets owned by STORM). The stage have stuffs like rescuing injured special force members and shooting sequences. The latter which I didn't really like since I am pretty bad with shooting games in general.:D The pointer felt rather small too, but that's probably due to the small TV I am using. The control for the shooting sequence is straight forward: B to shoot, Z to hide in cover, and shake the Wiimote/Nunchuck to realod your weapon.

Whenever you are just roaming around, shake the Wiimote to destroy huge/small boxes, you'll find items in most of them. Still not quite sure what some of the items do, at least the hamburger, huge piece of meat and watermelon restore health/stamina. Hmm..what else to write? There are plenty of cutscenes and talking, and the in-game graphic wont really blow your mind.

Any questions before I go off to play MM9 and Bomberman Blast?:lol

RJT

Netto-kun said:
Right now, it's the latter for me but uh...I should probably play a little bit more.
Cool. I'm very interested in the concept of mixing different types of gameplay (I like on rails shooters, but the same repeating gameplay bores me a little). It would be a shame if the transitions from different gameplay types wasn't seamless...

Netto-kun said:
Hmm, I am not quite sure what I am should write, or what you guys want me to write.:lol

I stopped playing after beating the first stage, the one were the special force gets owned by STORM). The stage have stuffs like rescuing injured special force members and shooting sequences. The latter which I didn't really like since I am pretty bad with shooting games in general.:D The pointer felt rather small too, but that's probably due to the small TV I am using. The control for the shooting sequence is straight forward: B to shoot, Z to hide in cover, and shake the Wiimote/Nunchuck to realod your weapon.

Whenever you are just roaming around, shake the Wiimote to destroy huge/small boxes, you'll find items in most of them. Still not quite sure what some of the items do, at least the hamburger, huge piece of meat and watermelon restore health/stamina. Hmm..what else to write? There are plenty of cutscenes and talking, and the in-game graphic wont really blow your mind.

Any questions before I go off to play MM9 and Bomberman Blast?:lol

Oh god, that does not sound good...

He does not like Shooters and that the graphics are not brilliant we know for a long time ;) Doesn t sound bad nor very good.

@Netto Kun: How long did it take you to get through the first stage?

Haunted

Sounds good. Should be a solid 7 title, will probably be elevated by the lack of similar games on the system.

Netto-kun

Oh, I forgot to mention several things. From the very beginning you are given to option to play the game in either Normal or Hard Mode. You'll acquire an Assault Rifle and a Shotgun after beating the first stage. Both weapons appear to have a bigger and wider pointer, so I guess the size of the weapon pointer is based on which weapon you are currently using. Also, you'll get a rank which is based on how much time you've used, how much damage you've taken, how many people you've helped/rescued and so on. And disregard what I said about "shaking" Wiimote to reload the weapon, seems like only Nunchuck works.:lol

After saving the game, you are directed to this screen.

From top to bottom:

- Growth and strengthening
- Information
- Shooting Yard (?)
- Stage Select
- Save/Load
- Option
- Next Stage

The first option lets you improve/upgrade/strengthen/customize Ray's character growth and weapons. You'll need Survival Point (SP) in order to upgrade Ray, which can be gained by gathering "SP" items from breakable container/boxes, or by helping/rescuing people. Upgrading weapons require BP, which you'll gain by killing the STORM people during the shooting sequences. I am still unsure, but the amount of BP you gain might depend on how well you did with the shooting (amount of reloads, headshots and so on).

Here's some bad pictures I took:

SSL21109.jpg

SSL21111.jpg

SSL21114.jpg

SSL21112.jpg

Just to let you know, the handgun (infinite ammo) always seems to set on the ^ direction on the d-pad, and you can't remove it from the list.

The "Information" part shows things such as log, key items, name of people you've rescued, tutorial, a list of "achievements" (?), and something called "Staminas Campaign" which I am not quite sure what is supposed to do.

According to the description in the Tutorial part (with my horrible Japanese reading skills). "Shooting Yard" is an optional mode where you'll are given the chance to obtain special weapons after beating the mode. Unlocking the mode requires you to talk to a guy named Eric (he appears to be the only NPC who is unharmed), first time I found him was in the second stage. Talking to him in some of the later stages will unlock more stages for the Shooting Yard. And in order to play the different Shooting Yard stages, you'll need to pay a certain amount of BP. I haven't gotten the chance to try it out though, since I spent most of my BPs on upgrading my weapons.:lol

The rest should be pretty obvious.

While roaming around, the camera is controlled with the the d-pad, while the C-button is used to focus the camera back to Ray's back. Works ok for me. Second stage starts with a car chase, where you have to hold the Wimote sideway (Nunchuck not used). After the car chase and a short cutscene, you'll be given full control of Ray. Along the way you'll see some collapsing buildings, and you might also notice survivors that need your help

The main action for this stage seems to be from the shooting parts, which I am starting to like due to more weapon options. Enemies also have their own "pointers", which will start blinking right before they are about to shoot at you. The shooting parts are on-rail, but Ray hardly moves too far away from the starting point. So you can always backtrack really quickly once you are done and given full control of him.

As for how long I spent on the first stage...add cutscenes and the tutorial stage, it clocked 57 minutes after completing the first stage. Please keep in mind that I was messing around alot while playing the first stage.:D As for the second stage, I spent 12 minutes beating it, but I probably missed out some people that I didn't rescue/help.

Note: Bad grammar.:lol

Edit: Did I mention that I like the music? Now I did!

Edit 2: After taking another closer look at the tutorial, it seems like you are able to shoot off weapons from enemies.

MoogPaul

There seems to be a lot more weapons that I had originally assumed. I thought it was going to be more of like one handgun, one shotgun, one rifle. I'm quite excited for the game and am dying for more info.

Threi

notag
What the hell?

Bear: "THERE HE IZ! IMA GET HIM"

*run run run*

*dude hides behind a tree*

Bear: "WHERE HE GO?"

*run run run*

*dude pops out from tree*

*run run run*

*dude hides behind same tree*

*run run run*

also, that player is an idiot for getting hit even once.

ivysaur12

Banned
markatisu said:
So much hate on this game, I know now I am in the minority I guess since I have yet to be disapointed

Eh, not really. I think people are more surprised that the game seems to be decent :lol

Threi said:
What the hell?

*run run run*

*run run run*

*run run run*

*run run run*

:lol You can call him "Bright-Bear"

By the way, this video looks damn awesome!!

http://www.wipido.com/video/DMG5PhW8vjYM

Dever

Banned
Threi said:
What the hell?

*run run run*

*run run run*

*run run run*

*run run run*

I know it's not good gameplay but I find it hilarious for some reason. I want this game. It's like so bad it's good... without actually being that bad. Huh.

Jammy

Banned
Badass (but often not) human protagonist?
Ridiculous plot and cutscenes?
Great, epic music?
Meh gameplay that isn't all too frequent?

This sounds EXACTLY like Metal Gear Solid. I don't know why all of GAF isn't on this.

:lol

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This game really looks like a collection of arcade games strung together by third person platforming/exploration sections and cutscenes. not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing but it is definitely intriguing. If I can save after each little section, then this may be the perfect game for me as I really need to be able to make progress in 5-30 minute pieces.

ivysaur12 said:
Why does that area look 100x better than anything else in the game?

This is exactly the question. Nevertheless, seeing this area, it is obvious that the Disaster-Engine seems to be pretty powerful.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
OP updated with links to Netto-kun's impressions, IGN and Siliconera's previews and most videos posted around here.

Top Bottom