• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disaster: Day of Crisis rumours/details - '24' meets 'The Day After Tomorrow'

ziran

Zentendo is reporting they have some new details about Disaster: Day of Crisis, but they're the, 'from a reliable source', kind, so make of them what you will:

- scenario of the game has undergone changes, premise now is natural disasters allow terrorists an opportunity to steal nuclear weapons from US, to hold as hostage until their demands are met
- players not only deal with natural disasters but also work against the clock to stop a nuclear disaster
- features extensive voice acting, major roles are completed
- potential release between Q1-Q2 2008

If Nintendo and Monolith Soft have worked together to improve the game (and development team as a whole) it may turn decent. So far this is probably Nintendo's biggest hardcore specific game of 2008, but I hope it doesn't fall into the trap of high production values and dull game like so many titles these days. I hope we see some new gameplay and great uses of Wii's controls.

pswii60

I thought this would be cancelled like Project HAMMER, but if Nintendo have confidence and are working closely on the project, it could turn out to be a gem.

Haunted

Meh. '24 meets X' Which other gamedev used that description? I can't remember. It's all PR talk anyway.

The actual premise reminds me of every single action B-movie I've ever seen. Also Operation Winback.

pswii60 said:
I thought this would be cancelled like Project HAMMER, but if Nintendo have confidence and are working closely on the project, it could turn out to be a gem.
Rumour has it Nintendo bought Monolith Soft to 1) acquire an experienced RPG dev and 2) because Disaster's quality convinced them of the current team's abilities.

Mudhoney

I know I've heard all of these things about the game before. Especially the part about terrorists taking advantage of natural disasters to get a nuclear bomb. So I don't see how that scenario has changed...

Haunted One said:
Meh. '24 meets X' Which other gamedev used that description? I can't remember. It's all PR talk anyway.

I think Mass Effect is "Jack Bauer in space!" if you ask the right people. Obviously that would be more believeable if Jack Bauer spent most of 24 engaging in slow paced conversations.

Anyway, I have no hope for this game.

nightside

Haunted One said:

The actual premise reminds me of every single action B-movie I've ever seen. Also Operation Winback.

Rumour has it Nintendo bought Monolith Soft to 1) acquire an experienced RPG dev and 2) because Disaster's quality convinced them of the current team's abilities.

just like the majority of games out there:p

Haunted

TheGreatDave said:
I think Mass Effect is "Jack Bauer in space!" if you ask the right people. Obviously that would be more believeable if Jack Bauer spent most of 24 engaging in slow paced conversations.
:lol Mass Effect was it, you're right.

nightside said:
just like the majority of cinematic games out there:p
Fixed and agreed, sadly.

new rumour said:
- scenario of the game has undergone changes, premise now is natural disasters allow terrorists an opportunity to steal nuclear weapons from US, to hold as hostage until their demands are met
- players not only deal with natural disasters but also work against the clock to stop a nuclear disaster

Nintendo at E3 06 said:
Survive nature's most devastating catastrophes in Disaster: Day of Crisis, a panic-inducing survival game for Wii. In a devastatingly short period of time, an unprecedented wave of natural disasters has pummeled the United States. On top of this inexplicable series of disasters, a rouge special forces unit has taken advantage of the chaos and seized a nuclear weapon. Only Ray, a former member of an elite rescue task force, has decided to take a stand.

Nintendo sites have a horrible habit of forgetting what has been announced and creating rumors out of old news.

Of course the old description doesn't contain the word "hostage" but it's not a big leap to suggest that a group of terrorists with a nuclear weapon would hold the country hostage.

Ranger X

Wow. This is so... unusual for a Nintendo game that it makes me instantly interested!

I hope those are true details...

I just hope the narrative and plot structure isn't a raging pile of shit like most games are. I'm not surprised at the whole '24' bent.

camineet

Banned
hey! Disaster: Day of Crisis is one of my most anticipated Wii games. I hope it turns out good. logic tells me it'll be a big disappointment but I'm holding onto hope that it'll at least be a quality sleeper hit.

It has voice acting.

It has under-gone a lot of changes.

......it sounds good people. Who cares if its a silly premise, every game has a silly premise on paper.

Top Bottom