• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disaster Report 4 Plus: Summer Memories screens

l_56559de1b1104s5u7n.jpg

l_56559de1af1b8d7uae.jpg

l_56559de1a841caouqp.jpg

l_56559de1ab2fb65u6a.jpg

l_56559de1ad264h2ux0.jpg

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201511/26093851.html

The main reason the game was originally cancelled was because they couldn’t get it to come together.

Over the years since the game was cancelled, time has been devoted to upping the quality of the game system.

Granzella’s new company Gz Studio is developing the game. It’s made up of staff from the Irem days.

The “Plus” in the title signifies that the game is being rebuilt. The original version of the game is being used as a base, but everything is being completely revised from zero.

It’s not that you escape a week after the earthquake, sometimes you go back to the same place two or three days later.

Situations at the same locations will change as time progresses. (For example, when cranes begin reconstruction.)

The degree of how the protagonist’s decisions influences post-development has greatly increased.

If you eat expired foods or don’t use the toilet, it will impact your performance.

Since it’s being developed for PlayStation 4, Kujo wants to put in an element that lets players feel like they’re connected somehow.

http://gematsu.com/2015/11/disaster-report-4-plus-summer-memories-announced-ps4

Ridley327

Obviously shows its PS3 roots, but it seems like a solid upgrade and it's sure to run a hell of a lot better than it would have on its original system. Hopefully, a localization announcement is happening fairly soon.

Wait what! This is still coming out??

I thought after the 2011 earthquake in Japan this was canned for good, not because they couldn't get it to "come together".

kadotsu

Banned
Mingle player sounds perfect for a survival game. Graphic assets look lower budget last gen but the more modern shading techniques elevate the overall look somewhat.

Who would handle the localization? NISA, Atlus, Aksys?

raven777

Old Disaster Report 4
5651AEB13A1C870017

5651AEAB3A04260023

New Disaster Report 4 plus
0bcPiWj.jpg

g52PM7p.jpg

From small sample shots I thought it would look the same, but the image quality looks a lot cleaner and looks better than I expected.

Ridley327

Mingle player sounds perfect for a survival game. Graphic assets look lower budget last gen but the more modern shading techniques elevate the overall look somewhat.

Who would handle the localization? NISA, Atlus, Aksys?

This seems like something that would be right up XSEED's alley, but I'd also put forth that Bamco seems like a good contender, since they're already funding and publishing City Shrouded in Shadow for Granzella.

Even if it doesn't, hopefully there will be an Asian version with English subs/menus. Hopefully. :/

I wouldn't worry too much; an English localization is highly likely. Niche publishers in the US and Europe have been snapping up anything they can get their hands on, and Granzella seems like they'd like to get their games out internationally, so I expect some company will get both of their upcoming games out over here.

Vlaphor

Fucking Yes! Disaster Report and Raw Danger are two of my favorite PS2 games, so I'm very excited for this. Also...

Since we're talking about releasing obscure japanese games long after their original release, could we get Disaster Report 3 as well?

Irem is dead, and so is the franchise.

...I know, but still...

Disaster Report 4 and Steambot Chronicles 2 getting cancelled on pretty much the same day was one of the saddest (game related) things for me ever.

HA! Take that, naysayer from three years ago! Speaking of games getting resurrected, I think it's prime time for a Steambot Chronicles resurgence.

Danlord

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Just got my copy back of S.O.S The Final Escape in preparation of potential PS2 Local Emulation. Such an amazing niche title that deserved to get another chance and it looks promising so far!

studyguy

I thought this was a Nintendo series?

I'm confused.

This was never the case.
The first two were on PS2. The next on the vita iirc.

Also extremely excited for this release and glad it didn't get shut away due to the original unfortunate release date and events surrounding it. Disaster Report games are always unique as hell. Average ass people put into terrifying situations of natural disasters. (minus the silly shit like dudes trying to shoot from a chopper in one of the first two)

eFKac

Graphics look really bad, but the premise is interesting. Never heard of this series, will keep my eye on it. Chances of coming to the West?

It really is a super cool idea for a game that almost no one plays with. Natural disasters are exciting and scary and could make really cool settings. Hope this comes to the West but I doubt it will.

studyguy

What is this game about? You have to scavenge for supplies and stuff?

They generally follow a very simple idea:
You're some guy or girl (there are usually multiple protags) and you have to escape whatever's going on. Floods, earthquakes, fire, etc.

You have Health (Stamina), Thirst & Temperature affecting everything you do. You have to drink every so often so as not to die and make sure you don't die of hypothermia/heat exhaustion as well depending on what's going on. Limited inventories increased by wearing different backpacks.

Branching stories, multiple endings, multiple protags.. Most of it consists of platforming and minor puzzle solving. There are generally no real fights, but sometimes they have QTE or puzzles that sort of work out like fights. In one of the first two you had to stop some guy from shooting you by hitting him with water from a fire hose and getting away.

I personally enjoy them since they offer something unique.

The first one was about a city built on a bay that was slowly collapsing into the sea (thus heavy flooding and eathquakes), you can just escape and end like that or go deeper and solve the issue of a corrupt building company and mayor colluding to cover up the fact that they built the city on a weak structure they knew would fail, etc (multiple endings). It just sort of builds like that. All the while you have to save people you find out there, but that usually means dragging them along with you which slows you down or they can help in certain spots.

Aidios this looks great. The IQ retouch helps mitigate the original screens' bloom, so that's already a plus. I really hope XSEED picks this up and gives the game a localization far superior to what Agetec wrought on the first two installments.

Speaking of Japanese disaster sim-games, Mujintou Monogatari (Uninhabited Island Story) 3 on the PC-98 is a distant precursor to Zettai Zetsumei Toshi, mainly because of the premise (inspired by Sakyo Komatsu's novel Japan Sinks, probably). KSS's game is more anime-influenced, lacking ZZT's action and low-level detail/options, but the strategy component of MM3 was a big enough draw.

7VAQng5.png

LLpBjdY.png

Top Bottom