• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disciples: Liberation Announcement Trailer

Pantz

Platforms: Win-PC, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S PlayStation 4|5
FEATURE LIST
• 80+ hour single-player campaign: experience a sprawling dark fantasy epic over three acts, with more than 270 quests and five unique endings to unlock

• Explore a war-torn realm: journey through a sprawling world in ruin and work to unearth its endless secrets, hidden treasures, and bloody past

• Write your own story: pick from four uniquely skilled classes and define your place in the world, recruiting others to your cause from an assortment of factions

• Build a base: take on quests for precious resources and use your political savvy to build a place of planning and sanctuary

• Fight for your life: recruit 50+ units and amass an army best suited to your play style; hone both steel and spell in intricate-turned based combat.

• Challenge deadly bosses: test your mettle and pit your party against horrific monsters and beasts, each requiring a unique strategy

• Choice is everything: let your decisions guide your fate and directly influence what sort of leader you become

• Fight your friends: put forth the ultimate challenge and battle for supremacy in 2-player online skirmishes

2RhrnTW.jpg
b9UduZN.jpg

HftHMxs.jpg
Pu6PNbt.jpg

rHQ1a08.jpg

sobaka770

Banned
Art design looks busy. I liked the old Disciples in days when HoMM was the best thing ever (and it still is) but I doubt there's anything left from that time apart from the brand.
This is a totally different game in a different genre from a different studio. Anyway, I'm all up for a good cRPG, let's hope it succeeds.

Shouta

A new Disciples? Wow, I wasn't expecting that. I agree that the art design seems a bit busy though.

Pantz

Older games in the series are 80% off on Steam right now. Might check them out.
Don't know anything about the series myself but I thought the CG trailer was cool.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
While a new Disciples game sounds amazing on paper it's Kalypso. They have not been doing anything that goes above and beyond average/ok so what they're promising should not be taken as factual.

CAB_Life

So many naysayers. This has always been a consistent B-tier franchise. Looking forward to the next installment. Last gen support is a bit worrying, but we'll see.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I have the older games on GOG. I like Diciples, but 3 really sucked. Something felt off. Maybe it was the graphics. Yeah, I don’t expect it to be amazing. I just expect it to be cool.

vpance

Out today. Did anyone play the demo?

Game can be had for under $30 on Steam via Kalypso. $67 on PSN. This CAD exchange rate lolol

Vae_Victis

Banned
Out today. Did anyone play the demo?

Game can be had for under $30 on Steam via Kalypso. $67 on PSN. This CAD exchange rate lolol
The demo was surprisingly not bad. I was expecting something between cheap eurojank and complete trash, it actually played like a somewhat competent and thought out game with some budget. I'm not going to call it a GOTY contender but it's definitely not a bad effort.

One thing that must be said is that it doesn't really feel a lot like older Disciples games (I'm talking about 1 and 2, never played 3), it seems more character-based with a massive level-up tree for the protagonist (although you still recruit soldiers), and you can keep units in "reserve" to give you passive bonuses instead of using them to fight directly. The amount and quality of stuff you can place on the field is also very strictly limited by your level rather than your money, although I must admit I don't remember how it worked in 1 and 2 exactly.

The demo was also insanely long for a demo. I mean, multiple hours long. It's basically the entire first act of the game, in a large open environment with multiple quest lines. Imagine the first island of Original Sin 2 and you're not too far off. If you want to get a feel for the game, I definitely recommend to play it.

Last edited:

vpance

The demo was surprisingly not bad. I was expecting something between cheap eurojank and complete trash, it actually played like a somewhat competent and thought out game with some budget. I'm not going to call it a GOTY contender but it's definitely not a bad effort.

One thing that must be said is that it doesn't really feel a lot like older Disciples games (I'm talking about 1 and 2, never played 3), it seems more character-based with a massive level-up tree for the protagonist (although you still recruit soldiers), and you can keep units in "reserve" to give you passive bonuses instead of using them to fight directly. The amount and quality of stuff you can place on the field is also very strictly limited by your level rather than your money, although I must admit I don't remember how it worked in 1 and 2 exactly.

The demo was also insanely long for a demo. I mean, multiple hours long. It's basically the entire first act of the game, in a large open environment with multiple quest lines. Imagine the first island of Original Sin 2 and you're not too far off. If you want to get a feel for the game, I definitely recommend to play it.

I did check out the demo a bit yesterday, not having played any Disciples before but it immediately reminded me of HoMM as soon as I got to the overhead map.

I didn't play a lot but it seems there will be a large amount of dialogue and choices. So I guess it's not a full on CRPG but it looks like there's quite a bit of story and questing to it? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Vae_Victis

Banned
I did check out the demo a bit yesterday, not having played any Disciples before but it immediately reminded me of HoMM as soon as I got to the overhead map.

I didn't play a lot but it seems there will be a large amount of dialogue and choices. So I guess it's not a full on CRPG but it looks like there's quite a bit of story and questing to it? Correct me if I'm wrong.
The HoMM comparison is pretty apt, but this one is less on rails and gives you more freedom. Imagine basically a top-view RPG like Divinity or Baldur's Gate, but fights are turn based and on top of your minimal party of characters you can recruit filler units that help in battle.

Top Bottom