• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Discless Xbox One S releasing May 7th in all regions. (Pending Report)

FeldMonster

I think they didn't want to redesign it too much to confuse consumers.
More likely is that by not changing the overall shape and design, they can continue to take advantage of economies of scale in the production process. A new design incurs engineering costs and forces them to largely start over on some of the manufacturing economies of scale (not necessarily all of the individual components, but certainly assembly).

They should make it a different color at least.

At this point we are pretty set with Xboxs but if the price of this is low enough I'd replace my oldest son's elite console with one.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
More likely is that by not changing the overall shape and design, they can continue to take advantage of economies of scale in the production process. A new design incurs engineering costs and forces them to largely start over on some of the manufacturing economies of scale (not necessarily all of the individual components, but certainly assembly).

Having a disc-less Xbox One S also possibly synergizes to a degree the hardware being used in both the consoles and XCloud server racks...as the disc drive likely isn't needed in the latter...

Last edited:
The cooling is for the CPU and the GPU, not the disc drive. Since this will still have them, they cannot remove the cooling aspects.
Part of the cooling is in relation to the disc drive, that part can be removed to slightly save some cost. In fact, they won't even need the current cooling system in the S because the whole design was for a smaller shell and to control 4KBR disc drive, so they can actually change the cooling system in place to something less relatively extreme. Instead focus on a cooling system specifically for the GPU/CPU.

Vawn

Banned
I wish I could at least say "you tried Microsoft", but clearly you didn't.

You just literally ripped out the disc drive out of existing, unsold Xbox One S consoles? And you're selling it for the same price or more than the Xbox One S has been selling at for quite a while?

And don't give me "MSRP" marketing spin. The S is basically always under $300. Even on Microsoft's own store.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Very efficient usage of space after removal of DD

and that is why disc drives and physical media needs to die. imagine what they could do with that space. more storage capacity or better cooling for higher spec CPU/GPU. but oh no people want to live in the past and use discs still.

Armorian

Banned
and that is why disc drives and physical media needs to die. imagine what they could do with that space. more storage capacity or better cooling for higher spec CPU/GPU. but oh no people want to live in the past and use discs still.

???

Bigger HDD would use same space as the current one and X1X has much better chipset, better cooling solution AND disc drive. I think everyone wanted this console to be redesigned/smaller and MS just unplugged DD, added metal plate and changed chasis.

I prefer buying games digital but would never buy console without DD, you know that console providers might remove games form their stores or just ban your account (for saying something "offensive" for example)?

Last edited:

FeldMonster

Having a disc-less Xbox One S also possibly synergizes to a degree the hardware being used in both the consoles and XCloud server racks...as the disc drive likely isn't needed in the latter...
Agreed, they had to manufacture the disc less S for the XCloud blades, they simply shoved a few of them into the casing for the S. To be honest, that is the primary driver, not the other way around. But that part is still puzzling me. Why would they not use the X or the 2020 Xbox as the repeat unit? Obviously the cost will be much lower, but will an S satisfy the technical demands of XCloud?

Three

Agreed, they had to manufacture the disc less S for the XCloud blades, they simply shoved a few of them into the casing for the S. To be honest, that is the primary driver, not the other way around. But that part is still puzzling me. Why would they not use the X or the 2020 Xbox as the repeat unit? Obviously the cost will be much lower, but will an S satisfy the technical demands of XCloud?
The board is the same with the sata port still there. It's not the same as the one they use on xCloud. This was just a cheap way for them to remove the disc drive. The motivation isn't to have 'synergy' with xCloud it's to prevent second hand sales.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be happy with this, even if I could plug in an external drive. The USB ports on my console are so finnicky. I try not to use them at all.

Top Bottom