• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disco Elysium just got a Perfect Score from Gamespot (10/10)

fQcty1g.jpg

Yeah, I'm definitely going to buy this game when it comes out. Sounds like the perfect spiritual successor to Kojima's Snatcher.

Last edited:
If this game comes to console, I might get it. I dont trust my old PC to run any current games.
I hope I enjoy it. I loved Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale back in the day and always heard about how great Planescape was due to the writing, but I didnt enjoy it much at all when I eventually got around to playing it.

Darak

It's a great game but a 10/10 may be a bit too much. It has some great writing but there is not much in terms of gameplay and there is a lot of walking around and loading, especially after day 3. There are also several instances of scenarios where, depending on your character, you can leave your game in an unsolvable state without your knowledge, forcing you to revert to earlier saves in order to progress.

The game is also highly political. Many political ideologies are represented (in a weird, fantasy-but-not-really-fantasy way) and usually all of them are given the short end of the stick. More often than not, following any ideology is shown as the bigoted option, while the reasonable standpoint is centrism or lethargy. This didn't resonate well with me, and after a while I found their handling of the subject to lack depth, so it's a wasted opportunity IMHO.

The writing is very good but does not deserve universal praise. It lacks editing (there are quite a few grammar and spelling mistakes) and it very often comes as unnecessarily verbose and self-important. The lore dumps in particular are massive and the game world is both weird and complex. It shines mostly because most other games today have atrocious writing, to be honest, but it is not *that* good.

The marketing message is also misleading. The game is not an open world by any means (in fact, it is constrained to a very small map), and it is in fact fairly linear (there are multiple ways to solve some of the problems, and you can miss a few side quests, but there is not that much in the way of optional paths or scenarios). You have some room to roleplay, but your character and his most recent past is set in stone and that drives a lot of the narrative. In many scenes your freedom is tightly constrained and you are not able to choose some obvious answers anybody in that situation could think of. The RPG nature of the game is divisive. You have character progression alongside many stats and plenty of stat rolls influencing dialogue and action outcomes, but its DNA some times feels closer to an adventure game.

As I said, I think it's a great game, but it didn't resonate to me in the same way Planescape: Torment did. Still worth playing, though.

klosos

I have been tempted by this for a couple of weeks , after reading the glowing praise from other gaffers on the OT , with RDR2 out today on PC after i have finished that i might have throw some money at this game, it seems right up my alley.

Darak

The main character in this game is shown as deeply flawed since the beginning and the world around him acts accordingly. You need to be a complete moron to play this game and think he is in a position of privilege. Even his status as a policeman, in the game's setting, doesn't amount to much.

Ar¢tos

The main character in this game is shown as deeply flawed since the beginning and the world around him acts accordingly. You need to be a complete moron to play this game and think he is in a position of privilege. Even his status as a policeman, in the game's setting, doesn't amount to much.
Shhh Shhh shhh
He's white
He's straight
=
He's privileged
He's evil

If you have any problem with that, I mean ANY problem, then you are as evil and privileged as him!

GrayChild

Gold Member
> be me
> white 30y/o straight male living in Eastern Europe
> from a country that has existed for 14 centuries but has spent 7 of them under slavery (both Byzantine and Ottoman)
> if that was not enough, how about 50 years under communist regime with hundreds of thousands being killed in labor camps, getting their land stolen under collectivization laws or just left to starve
> living in a low-class poverty-ridden neighborhood
> having engineering degree, still takes more than 3 years to find a proper job
> average monthly salary -> less than what most permanently unemployed and uneducated people take in the US
> being called privileged colonizing white cis scum by some blue-haired game journo
> .... fuck this planet...

Last edited:

Ivory Blood

It's perhaps the only real spiritual successor to Planescape.

But as was already mentioned it has some flaws - with almost forced reloading for failed skill checks, and basically nonexistent gameplay, besides the visual novel and exploration parts.

johntown

Banned
Well if the Internet says it is a 10/10 then it must be true and I have no choice but to purchase and enjoy it.

Death Stranding doesn't deserve a 10/10, tbh.
I say lets give it a chance once it releases. To me, from what I have read and seen so far, it is a 10/ 10. This is simply because in a sea of games and annual releases, kojima did something truly unique and also fun. I am betting that the delivery gameplay loop with sprinkles of dealing with mules and ghosts, and async MP with construction meta is going to be insanely addictive. Watch tim roger's review of it; its one hour long but its gosh darn beautiful.

I say lets give it a chance once it releases. To me, from what I have read and seen so far, it is a 10/ 10. This is simply because in a sea of games and annual releases, kojima did something truly unique and also fun. I am betting that the delivery gameplay loop with sprinkles of dealing with mules and ghosts, and async MP with construction meta is going to be insanely addictive. Watch tim roger's review of it; its one hour long but its gosh darn beautiful.
Tim Rogers is a genius and a true gaming connoisseur :messenger_heart:

Kadayi

Banned
But as was already mentioned it has some flaws - with almost forced reloading for failed skill checks, and basically nonexistent gameplay, besides the visual novel and exploration parts.

Certainly, you can reload (I did at times) but I'm fairly confident that it's possible to play the game from beginning to end without ever reloading and just rolling with the punches in terms of outcome fail states and all (you can generally always back out of most checks to stack the odds in your favour with different equipment or upgrade skills) . I did a save/reload playthrough and ticked off a whole bunch of achievements in the process (a few by happenstance tbh), but I'm planning on revisiting it and doing an ironman run and just seeing how that plays out.

I have spotted the odd spelling error here and there but they have a bug reporter Here for anything like that if you are so inclined.

Ivory Blood

Certainly, you can reload (I did at times) but I'm fairly confident that it's possible to play the game from beginning to end without ever reloading and just rolling with the punches in terms of outcome fail states and all (you can generally always back out of most checks to stack the odds in your favour with different equipment or upgrade skills) . I did a save/reload playthrough and ticked off a whole bunch of achievements in the process (a few by happenstance tbh), but I'm planning on revisiting it and doing an ironman run and just seeing how that plays out.

I have spotted the odd spelling error here and there but they have a bug reporter Here for anything like that if you are so inclined.
Oh certainly, sometimes failing a check is just as good and entertaining as winning. But I think a lot of people, including me, are conditioned to see any failure as a failure. OCD like obsession with a perfect run - so I have to reload fifty times just to greenlight that 6% check.

Maybe that's not a good attitude with Disco Elysium though.

Teslerum

It's perhaps the only real spiritual successor to Planescape.

1 could be handled a bit better, but is that really an objective flaw with the game?
It's just what it is. They could have added combat, but they didn't intentionally.
Judging a game on what it isn't rather than what it is, is always iffy (imo)

Regarding the topic: Amazing game that deserves a 90+ score. It's not perfect of course and subjectivly I still prefer Planescape, but YMMV.

Last edited:

NickFire

Why do games like this get reviewers who grade it 10/10, but games that the average gamer gives a crap about get reviewers who complain about kill streak rewards being too much? Its clown world I tell ya,

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It doesn't deserve a 10/10 because there's no game to compare it to. So how are we to say it's a perfect Strand Game when there hasn't been any Strand game before?

You are a treasure, and we don't deserve you <3

Anyway, I forgot I bought this on GOG. I should play it. But after Death Stranding.

That quote from above, though, about privilege and shit? Hooooo boy. Dumb.

Ivory Blood

1 could be handled a bit better, but is that really an objective flaw with the game?
It's just what it is. They could have added combat, but they didn't intentionally.
Judging a game on what it isn't rather than what it is, is always iffy (imo)

Regarding the topic: Amazing game that deserves a 90+ score. It's not perfect of course and subjectivly I still prefer Planescape, but YMMV.
I'm not trying to fault the game, it's not a real flaw for me, but for others maybe. I'm just going off what I know is the closest thing to this - PS:T and maybe Numenera. Both had combat, pretty bad combat at that, but it was there.

Disco Elysium is it's own thing, a visual novel in the form of an RPG game, with a very set in stone protagonist (even more than The Nameless One), who at the same time can be customised to a ridiculous degree through game mechanics like Thought Cabinet and parts of Psyche.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Oh certainly, sometimes failing a check is just as good and entertaining as winning. But I think a lot of people, including me, are conditioned to see any failure as a failure. OCD like obsession with a perfect run - so I have to reload fifty times just to greenlight that 6% check.

Maybe that's not a good attitude with Disco Elysium though.

I don't disagree, but the game does course correct with certain fail states and give you access to alternatives and more importantly thought cabinet opportunities you might otherwise not get failing to get the body down twice including using ammonia will start one up for instance

But yeah I think it requires you to break the conditioning a bit. I wasn't able to do it on my first for sure (there was a goddamn mystery to solve), but having gotten there. I'm fascinated to find out how differently I could do it without necessary min-maxxing it all the way.

RAIDEN1

Just a shame there is an unknown date as to when exactly in 2020 it will be on consoles...hopefully it won't be the 2nd half of the year!!

Fuz

Banned
But I think a lot of people, including me, are conditioned to see any failure as a failure. OCD like obsession with a perfect run - so I have to reload fifty times just to greenlight that 6% check.
This is pretty damn different from being forced to reload.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
so is this the most woke game ever? judging from TGA last night that's what i'd imagine.

EDIT: LOL wait a minute you play a POLICEMAN? :messenger_loudly_crying: so typical of liberals they secretly love their cops

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
so is this the most woke game ever? judging from TGA last night that's what i'd imagine.

Fuck no. Couldn't be further from woke. Like absolutely zero woke. Made by wonderful Eastern European genius bastards, they skewer every political ideology. You can be communist, fascist, hardcore capitalist, centrist, the game gives no fucks and won't judge you for it. It's fucking amazing, a product of the freedom of thought that exists in Eastern Europe because they so recently didn't have it and thus still have the desire to fight for it.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
> be me
> white 30y/o straight male living in Eastern Europe
> from a country that has existed for 14 centuries but has spent 7 of them under slavery (both Byzantine and Ottoman)
> if that was not enough, how about 50 years under communist regime with hundreds of thousands being killed in labor camps, getting their land stolen under collectivization laws or just left to starve
> living in a low-class poverty-ridden neighborhood
> having engineering degree, still takes more than 3 years to find a proper job
> average monthly salary -> less than what most permanently unemployed and uneducated people take in the US
> being called privileged colonizing white cis scum by some blue-haired game journo
> .... fuck this planet...
Pretty sure white privilege only really applies in America. I don't think they are referring to you specifically. Sorry for your plight, I'm black and I've never experienced any of this.

This just goes to show that one way people can ensure that they are wrong is to use blanket statements and adjectives to describe all of society. hopefully things get better for you.

Dunki

Fuck no. Couldn't be further from woke. Like absolutely zero woke. Made by wonderful Eastern European genius bastards, they skewer every political ideology. You can be communist, fascist, hardcore capitalist, centrist, the game gives no fucks and won't judge you for it. It's fucking amazing, a product of the freedom of thought that exists in Eastern Europe because they so recently didn't have it and thus still have the desire to fight for it.
Meanwhile I did not noticed they gave a shoutout to Marx and Engles. Yeah I will not buy the game anymore. Just like I do not buy a game from a developer giving a shoutout to Hitler or Erdogan

Meanwhile I did not noticed they gave a shoutout to Marx and Engles. Yeah I will not buy the game anymore. Just like I do not buy a game from a developer giving a shoutout to Hitler or Erdogan

karl_marx.jpg

8415fe99d52fa8b123111a6826ccb317

Don't get me wrong, I think being a marxist in the year of our lord is goofy, but being one is not the same as being a screeching ugly vERAfied mass of retardation.

Top Bottom