• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disco Elysium |OT| A worthy Planescape: Torment successor

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
I like CRPGs but the lack of combat concerns me. Without combat it comes off more like an isometric visual novel. Reviews are pretty good so far though.

That's one thing that has me concerned, the combat aspect.

Moneal

First I heard of it was today during the Dropped Frames stream. CohhCarnage likened it to Planescape Torment. It did sound cool. Will probably try it at some point.

morelan

I've been playing this for two days now and it has been amazing so far. The writing is so good that the lack of combat doesn't really bother me. I've seen a lot of comparisons, but for me it reads a lot like some good Coen brothers comedies sometimes. It is so good in fact that I'm already thinking about how I'm going to play my next character (right now I'm playing like a detective who is very dumb and a big fan of communism and it's very funny), and that's saying a lot since the game is mostly text-based so I would usually never think of starting a new game right after I finish it for the first time.

Fuz

Banned
I like CRPGs but the lack of combat concerns me. Without combat it comes off more like an isometric visual novel. Reviews are pretty good so far though.
Same boat. I was really, really hyped for this. But the more I read about it the more it seem like a (good) choose-your-adventure book.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

yeah some are playing it and are finding it amazing. Don;t expect combat but consider it more of an point and click role playing game. I can't wait to get it but at the same time I got so much other shit in my backlog I dunno what to do.

edit: either I was high or the 2 different threads were merged. lol

Last edited:

Helios

Yeah, I'm looking forward to picking this up in the near future. Heard so many good things about it.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Xaero Estrogen over here can't even afford the game. No worries, I'll buy it and tell you how it is. :messenger_blowing_kiss:
I can buy it, I just don't have the time to play despite really wanting to.

And thank you, saying I have zero estrogen is probably the nicest thing anyone has said to me on GAF.

Last edited:

Apparently it has other gameplay related elements that complement it and masks the lack of traditional combat; The game itself seems to be designed to be devoid of many traditional tropes, it's not an isometric visual novel, but a full blown role playing games features plenty of stats to upgrade that have an effect. So the lack of any sort of "combat" may not be an issue if the game isn't designed with combat in mind.

I haven't checked the game out, but the general acclaim of it from, remarkably, everyone who are playing it seems to rage between "an amazing video game" to "the Planescape: Torment of the generation".

I think i'll squeeze this game in the weekend and invest about ten hours into it, then provide some feedback with a thread on NeoGAF.

Fuz

Banned
A few hours in and I'm loving it. The quality of the writing is stellar.

EDIT: I really don't "get" the thought cabinet.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
A few hours in and I'm loving it. The quality of the writing is stellar.

EDIT: I really don't "get" the thought cabinet.

They're basically elusive recollections that can either enhance or detract your various skills with bonuses/penalties. You can choose to 'forget' them though which removes their impact. Mazovian Socio-Economics, for instance, seems to just give you penalties. I guess there's some benefit to ones like that in terms of balancing out against others that might tip you over the edge in some fashion.

I think i'll squeeze this game in the weekend and invest about ten hours into it, then provide some feedback with a thread on NeoGAF.

This is the discussion thread.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
I put about 3 hours in yesterday and am loving it. I mean you need to be in the mood to read and just take in the world. But wow is it fun, and something totally different.
The replayability seems immense.

I love the tone and how it shits on everything, Comrade!

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I've edited the main post to make it look like an OT for the game. If a mod wants to edit the title as well, please do. Sorry for the poor job but I guess it's better than nothing, unless ofc someone wants to make a proper OT feel free.

Last edited:

Hudo

This game looks like a successor to Arcanum and will probably be forgotten in much the same way.

I hope they succeed. Console version and I'm there.
Arcanum had a bit of a resurgence when Sseth made a review (which is hilarious). I still maintain that Arcanum is one of the best RPGs ever made.

I am interested to see how Disco Elysium plays out (waiting for player reviews/comments).

Kadayi

Banned
This Game...words ...there are no words. ...

tenor.gif
giphy.gif
Iud.gif

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I bought it. In-laws are here so no gaming for me ffs. I’ll get there soon enough, had a little play with it though and I love the atmosphere - reckon it might end up being a good gateway drug to finally giving Planescape Torment a proper go.

Kadayi

Banned
Christ, this game is so narratively sense, with it's layers upon layers of world-building, it's kind of mind-boggling. I don't envy the insane bastards out there who will start breaking this game down in terms of creating a Wiki for it, but I doff my cap to them nevertheless. Here be Dragons.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I'll pick it up later, it's amazing to see how many User Reviews on Steam mention Planescape: Torment.

Yeah everyone keeps mentioning it, its why I picked that title. I never actually finished that game ages ago when I was young and stupid so guess I should give it another go someday now that I love crpgs.

Fuz

Banned
They're basically elusive recollections that can either enhance or detract your various skills with bonuses/penalties. You can choose to 'forget' them though which removes their impact. Mazovian Socio-Economics, for instance, seems to just give you penalties. I guess there's some benefit to ones like that in terms of balancing out against others that might tip you over the edge in some fashion.
Ok, but what about the linking?

I'm a superstar fascist communist right now.

Arcanum had a bit of a resurgence when Sseth made a review (which is hilarious). I still maintain that Arcanum is one of the best RPGs ever made.

I am interested to see how Disco Elysium plays out (waiting for player reviews/comments).

I love Sseth.

Last edited:

Teslerum

As already said don’t go in this expecting Arcanum. Planescape: Tprment taken to its logical extreme is really more like it.

Kadayi

Banned
Ok, but what about the linking?

That is definitely an issue for sure. I'm in the midst of a restart (I didn't like my build). I'm going be delving into that side of things a bit more as I go along. I think the thing is to not necessarily start things up straight away versus review them. You're not obligated to deploy them if you know what I mean.

Kadayi

Banned
When it comes to the green information orbs, I actually say you're best not clicking on them early on because a couple of the thought cabinet unlocks actually give you XP and Money for everyone you click on, so you might as well save them, especially given they're just flavour text. There's at least a level and a half XP just sitting around in the initial areas if not more.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Currently having a lot of fun with this (breaking my no purchases backlog-clearing for 2019 rule). I'm not exactly min-maxing at the moment, rather bumbling around figuring out the world I'm in to get a bit of an understanding of it for a second more serious play-through. Weirdly I'm getting some else heart.break vibes from this, not sure why.

This sure looks interesting, but I'm not sure if I will like it due to its lack of combat. I hope this game isn't a reading simulator.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
This sure looks interesting, but I'm not sure if I will like it due to its lack of combat. I hope this game isn't a reading simulator.

There's a lot of reading. If you don't like reading, you won't like it.

Fuz

Banned
I'm not exactly min-maxing at the moment
Don't.
That was also my one fear. It really doesn't matter and I'm loving it now. It's not a classic RPG, the "R" has all the focus. There's also a lot to read (especially when they explain to you the world you're moving in, but you can skip those if they bore you), but it's well balanced and as not intolerable as Torment 2.

Last edited:

klosos

i dont want to look anything up on this game because of spoilers , how long is it ? i am at work and really tempted to bite the bullet on this, but am a bit worried in spending £35 on a game when RDR 2 is out in 2 weeks time (don't know if ill have time to finish disco Elysum0

Teslerum

i dont want to look anything up on this game because of spoilers , how long is it ? i am at work and really tempted to bite the bullet on this, but am a bit worried in spending £35 on a game when RDR 2 is out in 2 weeks time (don't know if ill have time to finish disco Elysum0

Between 25-40 hours per playthrough. IMO.

Kadayi

Banned
As an aside are many people using the default builds or are people mainly making their own?

I did a bit of noodling when I first got the game and have found that 4,3,2 & 3 with Perception as the signature seems like a good Combination. You get the benefits of decent intellect and reasonable psyche at base levels coupled with the benefits of the comparable Perception which is super useful earlier on whereas most of the other motoric skills don't seem all that essential. Physical 1 also seems like a big No No because its just too easy to die when it's that low.

Anyway that's how I'm rolling what about the rest of you?

Top Bottom