• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Discontinued/rare food items you miss

They were like $6 in Canada. At regular price nobody touched them, but the second they went on sale they always sold out.

they kinda disappeared over here for a few years. But the kids took a shine to them and who was I to disagree 😁(even get giant sized ones as well, might have try them next. Just for science and stuff ....)

tasty ice cream and chocolate is all well and good, but sack paying that price !!!! (Might as well have included a drm juicer at that money)

Can imagine they flew off the shelves, when they were clearing the stock 😂

surge-soda-can-mobile.png

Surge was my jam in the 90s, all my best memories seem to have happened while I was gulping down this sugary crap.

I've ordered a few cases over the past few years from Amazon and it's been great. I've tried it in the Burger King Coke Freestyle machine around here and it's... not the same.
I like it but I only see them being sold at gas stations. Always individually, never packaged in 12-packs or more like other sodas.

Surge always reminds me of that one Futurama episode too.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ya, as Kittekraken said they were a lot. I remember buying 3 of them for a friend's party and ya, it was probably around $20 all in.

$1.50 US converted is around $2.00 cdn.

At $2.00 you can't get anything except the shittiest ice cream on sale. Everything regular price for 1.5 - 2L of ice cream is around $3 cdn for the low end shit (probably Chapmans rectangular box) and then around $5 for the better branded stuff. Then you get to the small containers of Haagan Dazs or Ben and Jerrys and it's probably $6+

TindalosPup

fPnpmdl.png

i9KGb2T.jpg

I miss these almost every day of my life the zesty garlic kick'rs and green ketchup were my favorites (I heard a rumour they might be bringing Ez Squirt back soon)

Ya, as Kittekraken said they were a lot. I remember buying 3 of them for a friend's party and ya, it was probably around $20 all in.

$1.50 US converted is around $2.00 cdn.

At $2.00 you can't get anything except the shittiest ice cream on sale. Everything regular price for 1.5 - 2L of ice cream is around $3 cdn for the low end shit (probably Chapmans rectangular box) and then around $5 for the better branded stuff. Then you get to the small containers of Haagan Dazs or Ben and Jerrys and it's probably $6+

about £2 here gets a 4 pack of magnums, any flavour usually. Maybe even just over £1.50

just a little more gets you Ben n Jerry’s, or Hagen Dazs, what ever is on special. Normally it’s about £4 for a tub (around 1/2 litre to 1 litre)

the cheapest ice cream 🍦 is around £1, or just under. Some of it isn’t bad though 👍

Goodfellas Chicken Balti Pizza 🍕

The best shop bought frozen pizza in history. Then they just disappeared without a trace, can’t even find old reference to them on the net. Maybe I dreamt it 🤔

McLovin

I miss original French Toast crunch. They brought it back but it doesn't taste the same :(
Also all current chocolate bars tasted better before, I think they swapped out ingredients to make them cheaper over time and people just didn't notice.

TDiddyLive

bFtvSr7.jpg
Desert Bar. Around the gulf war they had chocolate bars that didn’t melt. As a little kid being able to go out and play then pull an unmelted candy bar from your pocket when you wanted a snack was amazing.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
about £2 here gets a 4 pack of magnums, any flavour usually. Maybe even just over £1.50

just a little more gets you Ben n Jerry’s, or Hagen Dazs, what ever is on special. Normally it’s about £4 for a tub (around 1/2 litre to 1 litre)

the cheapest ice cream 🍦 is around £1, or just under. Some of it isn’t bad though 👍
Wow.

A 3 pack of Magnums (3 x 90ml) is $7 cdn..... which Google say is 4 pounds. lol Ben & Jerrys 500ml tubs are the same. $7, which at 4 pounds is surprisingly close with you.

Canada is always known to be a rip off country. Every company I've worked at uses Canada as a "Profit Centre" where the purpose is to drive up total company margin knowing Canada prices are always skewed high. It sucks.

I've worked at companies where the price of something is $20-25. Drive 90 miutes away to Buffalo and the exact same thing is $10 US (about $13-14 cdn).

Last edited:
I am always up for more Sherbies, Australian sherbet filled candy that only stores in Australia seem to stock.

Straight up BBQ'd cheese burgers are no longer in my life, so they're rare to me. I lived in Brussels for 4 years when i was a kid and i can still remember the taste of those simple patties off the BBQ with a square of cheese and not much else that they used to cook up on the next field up from the machine pitch Little League games (huge NATO presence) on Saturdays~ add into that memory a can of Dr Pepper <3

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I remember these in the 80s. I think they died there.

BK used to also have a chuky chicken salad in the 90s, which I liked (couldn't find a pic of it). The only salad ever worth buying.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
fa29669.jpg

It's seems like all my favorite products are discontinued. From chocolate bars and chips to shoes and bars of soap.
Guess I have unique tastes that don't sell to the masses.

ryan13ts

Thought of another one

zima_cooler.0.jpg

Funny story about this; When I was a young kid, I saw commercials for this all the time and just thought it was some kind of water. One day, I get home from school off the bus, go in the fridge and see some in there and thought "Hey, it's that water on tv! Now I can try it". I chugged the hell out of it, and of course it didn't taste like water, which should have been the first red flag.

When my step-dad came home, saw the Zima in the garbage, and 7 year old me buzzed, he went from super angry, to full on panic, to laughing once I explained what happened and why I drank it. We still get a good laugh out of it to this day.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Most of all - CRT monitors. High refresh rate, perfect contrast, no ghosting. Imagine 27" crt monitor with freesync !
Old AKG headphones (the on-ear models similar to koss porta pro)

Wow.

A 3 pack of Magnums (3 x 90ml) is $7 cdn..... which Google say is 4 pounds. lol Ben & Jerrys 500ml tubs are the same. $7, which at 4 pounds is surprisingly close with you.

Canada is always known to be a rip off country. Every company I've worked at uses Canada as a "Profit Centre" where the purpose is to drive up total company margin knowing Canada prices are always skewed high. It sucks.

I've worked at companies where the price of something is $20-25. Drive 90 miutes away to Buffalo and the exact same thing is $10 US (about $13-14 cdn).

That’s harsh !!!! And for only a 3 pack 😱

Partial to the mint variety these days 👍

Top Bottom