• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Discoveries possibly not being saved in No Man's Sky

flkraven

*****UPDATED******CONFIRMED****

Original post below but this was thoroughly tested by a GAFfer. He confirmed that some of your discoveries can be deleted over time:

Sorry, took a while. Was playing to do some more testing while the screens were copying, and got sucked into the game again (poured 50h in, still love it thank you very much, come at me bros).

Right, so this is one of the systems I was 100% certain was one of my earliest ones (the game doesn't just list them chronologically it turns out, but also "geographically").

nms11euox.png

So I just went around scanning lots of stuff and kept an eye on that list:

nms2a6u91.png

And just in case it was a fluke or something funny, I kept on going, eventually erasing the whole thing:

nms3hxuua.png

Here's what I try to be as thorough as possible and discard just random bugs or whatever:

- Rebooted the game (and PS4) a couple of times

- sat on the Discoveries list for 5 good minutes, because sometimes it takes a while to load up.

Other things to know and take note of:

- this is not a constant thing - in that sense, the thread title is inaccurate. I still have a lot of stuff saved, so the game does save it for some "time".

- it DOES NOT affect system and planet names.

- I have seen systems / planets discovered by other players, so that information is saved online at some point.

One last thing: So far, I'm up until a point where all these discoveries were made when the servers were getting absolutely hammered and were down 95% of the time. I never paid attention whether I was online or not when I uploaded that. Since you upload stuff manually and it's a one off thing, I doubt the game periodically checks or anything and so if you "upload" while servers are fucked it's too late.

So considering there are a few people who also say that they still have their first planet stuff saved, it is well possible that I'm just hitting a local limit, and that stuff was never uploaded in the first place. I'll keep an eye on it and see whether everything gets progressively lost.

***ORIGINAL POST***

Went back to my starting planet and every discovery was wiped..

So as I got closer to the center I thought to my self I should head back home good thing I set a waypoint on my starting planet to find my way back. I finally made it back after many hours and I found out all my discoveries were wiped and it said I discovered it on the 11th when I started on the 9th.. I check a few neighboring stars I discovered and their discovers were wiped.. So none of my named animals plants were ever saved. The system name and planet names were saved but everything elts was wiped. I'm kinda sad that after heading back that all that I discovered was never really saved except the system and planet names.. Edit:Thanks for the replies, seems like I have to re explore my starting system all over again! Thanks HG!

Reddit is starting to test this. It seems to be chronological from your first discoveries.

First comment on the reddit link:

I've got this as well, I think. The more systems and planets I discover (or animals and plants, not sure what causes this) older animals, plants and checkpoints appear to be overridden or something?
E.G. Yesterday I browsed my list of discoveries, and went all the way to my starting planet. The system and all the planets I've ever been to are clearly marked as being discovered by me, the planets list 100% completion for animal scans but I can't see any animal or plant in the gallery and all of them appear as ???????.
I then checked every planet in the list until I hit one that was starting to be "corrupted". It only had 3 checkpoints (I usually hit up a lot more) and only 3/9 animals discovered (worst case scenario I end up with 2 animals undiscovered). I memorized the planet, and went on playing and discovering new stuff.
The next day, browsed the list again. The planet was wiped clean and so were a couple more. There's definitely something off. And it's not the offline thing.
EDIT: Just to be clear enough, discoveries are being erased in chronological order. First system, second system and so on. It's not random. It's a pattern, starting from your very first discoveries.

So, glitch? Credit to UncleSporky

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The game is kelly bundy. It can only learn so much at one time! Learn one new thing and the old thing gets forced out.

Alienous

I was hoping the game would erase everything you've discovered when you made it to the centre. This is close enough.

liquidtmd

Banned
So, glitch?

'We totally did mean for it to have multiplayer/save discoveries/resemble the E3 trailer/have epic space battles/have individual planetary rotational patterns and physics - dem glitches must have took 'em'! - Hello Games

This is a real shame if true. Hopefully not.

Venom Fox

Banned
Shit just keeps falling apart. This game (while good) shouldn't have released. It's clear a team of 15 people couldn't handle the development and should have expanded their workforce.

Guevara

It's kind of funny it took so long to be discovered.

It means people just aren't bothering to go back/look back (I know I don't).

Hanmik

I thought the discoveries saving was the selling point for the game?

ohhh maybe Hello Games meant the point, where you start selling your game..

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Won't be surprised if the buildable bases will disappear if you fly off the planet or walk a few miles away

I went back to mine after a few systems and my discoveries were still there, but at this point I think I'd have a hard time finding it again.

Venom Fox

Banned
"18 Quintillion planets but you'll never experience them all because 17.8 Quintillion planets are locked behind the
infinite number of universes we will take you to at the end of the game"

Fucking game is a mess.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Hello Games never said your discoveries would last forever. #HelloGamesDidNothingWrong

Costia

Sounds like a bug to me.
It's not a lot of data so it should be still on the server.
Maybe the game loads names only within a certain radius around the player.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
No wonder you're dumped into a different galaxy when you reach the center with no way back! They don't want people freely exploring only to realize they have been rused.

It's all smoke and mirrors!

Cue me the xfiles theme please!

liquidtmd

Banned
I thought the discoveries saving was the selling point for the game?

ohhh maybe Hello Games meant the point, where you start selling your game..

I traded mine at CEX yesterday for Doom And Ratchet and Clank, paid £10 extra but hey I got NMS for £36 at launch so I don't feel cheated

I think the 7-10 year old me would have loved roaming in the NMS sandbox. I just needed a lot more. Sad overall about the missed potential

Well, people are discovering other people's planets with named discoveries. I wonder if it has anything to do with the server issues in the first couple of weeks.

Z3M0G

I"m gonna blame this on a bug...

I notice that the "Server Available" indicator or whatever in the lower left of the Options menu is sometimes up and sometimes down... when down, if you return to your origin planet it would not be able to grab the discoveries and everything would appear as non-discovered.

On your own system, it may only save the last X discoveries, but it would need to get the data from the server to display anything older than that.

This sounds like a non-issue. Just perhaps confusing to some.

Well, people are discovering other people's planets with named discoveries. I wonder if it has anything to do with the server issues in the first couple of weeks.

This too. If you discovered something while servers were unreachable, and then you eventually discovered X more things, your own system would need to scrap your original discovery with the intent of retrieving the data from server if you returned to that location. But if your discovery couldn't upload to the server at the time, it is lost.

Makes perfect sense. Not a big deal, just sucks that it needs to happen.

jett

D-Member
No wonder you're dumped into a different galaxy when you reach the center with no way back! They don't want people freely exploring only to realize they have been rused.

It's all smoke and mirrors!

Cue me the xfiles theme please!

This actually makes perfect sense.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I`m surprised that they are allowed to lie so much and get away with it. Can`t someone do a lawsuit against them?

Top Bottom