• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Discoveries possibly not being saved in No Man's Sky

I don't think it's a separate problem. Just two faces of the same coin.

They're absolutely two separate problems.

If you deleted and reinstalled the game, you wouldn't suddenly see all the discoveries in your log that were disappearing. That's a local thing. I'd bet it's because they don't want to bloat the save file too big, so it discards the oldest discoveries. Just not server-side, you would hope.

Z3M0G

Sorry, took a while. Was playing to do some more testing while the screens were copying, and got sucked into the game again (poured 50h in, still love it thank you very much, come at me bros).

Right, so this is one of the systems I was 100% certain was one of my earliest ones (the game doesn't just list them chronologically it turns out, but also "geographically").

So I just went around scanning lots of stuff and kept an eye on that list:

And just in case it was a fluke or something funny, I kept on going, eventually erasing the whole thing:

Here's what I try to be as thorough as possible and discard just random bugs or whatever:

- Rebooted the game (and PS4) a couple of times

- sat on the Discoveries list for 5 good minutes, because sometimes it takes a while to load up.

Other things to know and take note of:

- this is not a constant thing - in that sense, the thread title is inaccurate. I still have a lot of stuff saved, so the game does save it for some "time".

- it DOES NOT affect system and planet names.

- I have seen systems / planets discovered by other players, so that information is saved online at some point.

One last thing: So far, I'm up until a point where all these discoveries were made when the servers were getting absolutely hammered and were down 95% of the time. I never paid attention whether I was online or not when I uploaded that. Since you upload stuff manually and it's a one off thing, I doubt the game periodically checks or anything and so if you "upload" while servers are fucked it's too late.

So considering there are a few people who also say that they still have their first planet stuff saved, it is well possible that I'm just hitting a local limit, and that stuff was never uploaded in the first place. I'll keep an eye on it and see whether everything gets progressively lost.

I believe this is exactly as expected and can't be expected to work much better.

There will be a local limit of your own discoveries. No working around that. If servers are not reachable when you discover something and it can't be uploaded, then it will be forgotten eventually and other players won't see it.

Top Bottom