• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Discussion: amiibo used as a game's SKU

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It's something I thought recently, after amiibos were officially announced in the Digital Event, based also on the following assumptions.

In a world where Nintendo handhelds have still a role in the market, but heavily reduced compared to the past and where Nintendo consoles sell like "boxed cancer"[cit.], the Japanese company is facing relevant problems in retailers relationships, since they don't believe in Nintendo's products as much as they did in the past, so they're more esitant in ordering big supplies of them. But this is also a world where digital delivery is growing costantly, and then retailers stores are actually scared to see how many customers could go away in this scenario. And that's also why we're not seeing digital SKUs of retail titles being priced lower than their retail SKUs: otherwise, retailer would actually boycot that product (see: PSPGo). So, we're starting seeing digital download cards being sold at retail, but they're priced as much as the physical counterpart, and they aren't as "inviting" as physical cases to the normal customer.

So, what kind of role amiibos play in this?

Well, what if...the digital version is actually sold with an amiibo?

Basically, at retail, games can have two SKUs: one being the classic retail SKU, priced slightly lower than what happens now (34.99/54.99 max), and the other not being a mere download card, but an amiibo package which actually represents the amiibo SKU of the game, and is priced 39.99/59.99 max (i.e. like the current retail version).
After having bought it, you put the amiibo on the NFC symbol of the console, and there it brings you to the eShop page where you start downloading the game.
Then, that amiibo can be used like other amiibos: specific game function and other games' (of course, that amiibo would also be sold separately from the game)

Possible consequences of this idea

1)Digital versions being sold directly on eShop priced lower (29.99/49.99 max), since their retail counterpart can be seen as a bundle with a specific item, without losing retail support
2)Giving to people who select the "digital" version still something physical, that they can touch with their hands, and that can make the digital code much more attractive, especially to children and kids
3)Nintendo having retail presence even considering DD growing and Wii U's current abysmal sales influence on relationships with retailers
4)Possibility of collector's editions containing special amiibos, limited versions of the normal ones contained in the amiibo SKU

So, GAF, tell me what you think: if it's a good idea, if not why, or how would you implement this concept.

Shiokazu

It's something I thought recently, after amiibos were officially announced in the Digital Event, based also on the following assumptions.

In a world where Nintendo handhelds have still a role in the market, but heavily reduced compared to the past and where Nintendo consoles sell like "boxed cancer"[cit.], the Japanese company is facing relevant problems in retailers relationships, since they don't believe in Nintendo's products as much as they did in the past, so they're more esitant in ordering big supplies of them. But this is also a world where digital delivery is growing costantly, and then retailers stores are actually scared to see how many customers could go away in this scenario. And that's also why we're not seeing digital SKUs of retail titles being priced lower than their retail SKUs: otherwise, retailer would actually boycot that product (see: PSPGo). So, we're starting seeing digital download cards being sold at retail, but they're priced as much as the physical counterpart, and they aren't as "inviting" as physical cases to the normal customer.

So, what kind of role amiibos play in this?

Well, what if...the digital version is actually sold with an amiibo?

Basically, at retail, games can have two SKUs: one being the classic retail SKU, priced slightly lower than what happens now (34.99/54.99 max), and the other not being a mere download card, but an amiibo package which actually represents the amiibo SKU of the game, and is priced 39.99/59.99 max (i.e. like the current retail version).
After having bought it, you put the amiibo on the NFC symbol of the console, and there it brings you to the eShop page where you start downloading the game.
Then, that amiibo can be used like other amiibos: specific game function and other games' (of course, that amiibo would also be sold separately from the game)

Possible consequences of this idea

1)Digital versions being sold directly on eShop priced lower (29.99/49.99 max), since their retail counterpart can be seen as a bundle with a specific item, without losing retail support
2)Giving to people who select the "digital" version still something physical, that they can touch with their hands, and that can make the digital code much more attractive, especially to children and kids
3)Nintendo having retail presence even considering DD growing and Wii U's current abysmal sales influence on relationships with retailers
4)Possibility of collector's editions containing special amiibos, limited versions of the normal ones contained in the amiibo SKU

So, GAF, tell me what you think: if it's a good idea, if not why, or how would you implement this concept.

TL;DR Imagine if instead of boxes, retailers started selling figurines with a code for you to pick your game digitally?

THIS IS FANTASTIC!

Mpl90

I've just thought also that, in order to get more consumers on the board, each amiibo SKU could also contain a voucher for getting next two amiibos supported by that specific game at a 50% discount (buy 2, pay 1). So, whoever buys it can start also an amiibos collection for a lower price, see how they work, if it's a good use for him/her and, then, buying others at the regular price.

Mpl90

Of course, with such a system, digital only games could be sold at retail as well (with a slightly higher priced compared to their digital version).

Think about a Pushmo game supporting NFC and that comes out in stores with a Mallo figurine package. Or a MiniMario figurine for Mario v.s. Donkey Kong, and these are just some examples...

I would be okay with this. I can live without the concept, but it wouldn't keep me from buying physical if the only thing physical was just the figure.

maxcriden

Of course, with such a system, digital only games could be sold at retail as well (with a slightly higher priced compared to their digital version).

Think about a Pushmo game supporting NFC and that comes out in stores with a Mallo figurine package. Or a MiniMario figurine for Mario v.s. Donkey Kong, and these are just some examples...

This idea excites me. Just think, instead of a shelf for games you could have a shelf for figures...that are games!

lyrick

If the signal was too simplistic, I could just clone the RFID signal with my phone and download whatever I wanted too...

To be perfectly honest I think it's a very good idea in theory, but a hard sell to retailers and especially the consumer.

Just imagine the confusion "My toy won't give me the game" when they buy just a standard Amiibo. If they were to implement such things they'd need to have a great way to explain it.

Platy

The idea is interesting ... but as someone who lives in a country where Skylandrs type figurines are RIDICULOUSLY OVERPRICED, I am not sure I would like in pratice =P

To be perfectly honest I think it's a very good idea in theory, but a hard sell to retailers and especially the consumer.

Just imagine the confusion "My toy won't give me the game" when they buy just a standard Amiibo. If they were to implement such things they'd need to have a great way to explain it.

Big honking label with "DIGITAL COPY OF X GAME INCLUDED" on the packaging. As well as bigger packaging to fit in stuff like the game manual, Club Nintendo codes, etc.

....Although, do NFC chips currently store enough data to be able to carry out this idea?

Top Bottom