• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention (PSV) |OT| Play for 10 Million Hours!

Jucksalbe

Banned
I'm constantly getting an error message like "The use of location data is not supported due to parental control settings" or something like this. This pops up every few minutes no matter where I am in the game. Can I somehow turn off this stupid "Honorary Quotient" feature (well at least that part that tries to look up how far I traveled)? I don't even have a 3G model.

guggnichso

Banned
I'm constantly getting an error message like "The use of location data is not supported due to parental control settings" or something like this. This pops up every few minutes no matter where I am in the game. Can I somehow turn off this stupid "Honorary Quotient" feature (well at least that part that tries to look up how far I traveled)? I don't even have a 3G model.

You don't need a 3G model for this to work. I just have the wifi-version, and this never happened to me. However, when I switch wifi off, the game asks me after every save, if i want to turn wifi back on o_O

By the way, fellow man!ac? ;)

scy

Looks like my copy has been delivered so all I have to do now is wait for work to end.

Damn it.

scy

It's sad though. I'm looking forward to seeing what mechanics changed. I want to see if there's any number crunching work to be done.

Then maybe I'll worry about the game itself :x

matmanx1

Surprisingly my copy was waiting for me when I got home. I am extremely pleased with the free shipping speed provided by the NIS Online store especially considering they are in California and I am in Georgia.

The little microfiber cloth has a nice print on it and I'm almost tempted to tack it to my wall instead of using it for the purpose for which it was intended. Almost.

I haven't cracked open the actual game itself yet but I'm sure I will at some point this evening. I have a whole day's worth of gaming news and gaf to catch up on first!

Been playing since last week and the game feels at home on the Vita. Visuals are nice and sharp and the moving character portraits look great on the screen.

matmanx1

Been playing since last week and the game feels at home on the Vita. Visuals are nice and sharp and the moving character portraits look great on the screen.

Yes. Like most games that contain good, colorful animation Disgaea 3 really benefits from the Vita's OLED screen. And although there's a little bit of loading upon first booting the game up once you are in it's fast as lightning. I've really become a fan of SRPG's on handheld systems simply because they are so playable in quick bursts on a lunch or break or anywhere and I can already tell that Disgaea 3 on the Vita is going to be fantastic in that regard.

Has the opening movie changed any from the original PS3 release? I don't remember it being that funny and cute. It's been awhile though so it's probable that I'm just not remembering correctly.

Dingotech

Does Disgaea 3 come with an online pass at all?
I doubt it does, but I was wondering given the online sharing of stats feature.

Also have they announced whether they will do any DLC for the game? I'm trying to work out whether I can buy the game locally in Australia even though I've got a US account.

Thanks in advance!

Kazerei

Banned
Does anyone know when the game will be on the PSN?

PSN store usually updates late afternoon or early evening in eastern time.

Does Disgaea 3 come with an online pass at all?
I doubt it does, but I was wondering given the online sharing of stats feature.

Also have they announced whether they will do any DLC for the game? I'm trying to work out whether I can buy the game locally in Australia even though I've got a US account.

Thanks in advance!

No new DLC has been announced, but this game already has all the PS3 DLC included, which is a lot.

TheBear

My only experience with SRPG's are games like Valkyria Chronicles and Jeanne D'Arc. I played a bit of Disgaea 1 but I didn't really get into it. Should I take a look at this one?

PSN I AM DISAPPOINT. hey, anyone know how big the download will be? i'm at a hotel and wanna know how many days it'll take to download it.

Kazerei

Banned
I bought the game during my lunch break and managed to play a few levels. As someone else mentioned, set the character display to "sharp". The default is "smooth", which should just be called "blurry".

Screenshots!

YpPyq.jpg

GDO2E.jpg

I haven't played this series since the original on PS2 nearly 10 years ago. Looking forward to checking out the copy I have coming from Gamefly.

What is the difficulty like in this game? SRPGs tend to make me really angry, but I'm eager for a new Vita game.

I really need to know: How pissed will I get?

scy

What is the difficulty like in this game? SRPGs tend to make me really angry, but I'm eager for a new Vita game.

I really need to know: How pissed will I get?

Overall, I'd say it's pretty easy as far as raw difficulty is concerned. There's a lot of mechanics in the game, however, that have a lot of depth to them and the game doesn't explain them as well as they could. Though, knowing that much about them isn't really necessary for anything.

The game being too hard isn't something I'd be all that concerned about.

Cornbread78

Picked mine up when the store opened. If its possible the game looks better on my VITA than it did on my PS3. I can't wait to dig into the game even more, but I must hide it from myself because I'm ignoring my work.. aarrgghh

billsmugs

Am I the only person who prefers the sprites set to "smooth"? I just can't get on with the "sharp" ones at all, they look odd in my opinion, even though the difference is very small.
Comparison: (First=sharp, second=smooth)
QTYfq.jpg

cZGWZ.jpg

Shazzam6999

Neo Member
I gave up on the PSN and just picked up the game at Gamestop. Surprisingly, it was the last copy they had. I'm really disappointed that the PSN updates so late.

naib

Playing through ZHP on my Vita and I much prefer the sprites without the filters(sharp). Was happy when I found the option to change them.

Am I the only person who prefers the sprites set to "smooth"? I just can't get on with the "sharp" ones at all, they look odd in my opinion, even though the difference is very small.
Comparison: (First=sharp, second=smooth)
QTYfq.jpg

cZGWZ.jpg

Second one looks blurry. I know what you are trying to get at, but 2D sprites look better with pixels showing than smoothed as that creates a blurry effect. As with anything though it is up to the user and that is why the option is there.

Disgaea3AbsenceofDetention.jpg

I prefer playing in "sharp."

Just for kicks, here are the stats for everyone online at the moment:
Disgaea3AbsenceofDetention2.jpg

Damn..I already have 20 hours in this game. Just 654753447 more hours to go!

matmanx1

Just so everyone knows this is a cheat code (I love this!) that NIS built into the game to unlock the extra chapters early. Normally you have to defeat the main storyline to access them but if you enter a code on the startup screen you can jump into them right after the tutorial missions and eventually acquire some great weapons much earlier than normal.

Spoilering just in case folks don't want to know:
Highlight "continue" and hit Triangle, Square, Circle, Triangle, Square, Circle, X and if you did it right you will hear Mao's voice. Then just load up the game like normal and go speak to the Parallel Worlder at the bottom of the stairs.
Bingo, all bonus chapters are unlocked!

The screenshots look pretty good. I'm sure Disgaea 4 will come out for the Vita with all the DLC, probably next year. That's a long wait so I'm very tempted to get this one for now.

Disappointed that it's not discounted on PSN. I thought Vita games will be $5 off?

Shazzam6999

Neo Member
The screenshots look pretty good. I'm sure Disgaea 4 will come out for the Vita with all the DLC, probably next year. That's a long wait so I'm very tempted to get this one for now.

Disappointed that it's not discounted on PSN. I thought Vita games will be $5 off?

I believe it's up to the publisher whether or not they want to discount it.

Dingotech

I got my wife to purchase a PSN copy for me while I'm at work.

It's busy downloading so hopefully I'll get to play tonight once the kids are in bed.

Looking forward to it as I never got around to getting a copy on my PS3.

matmanx1

Well I'm already getting sucked into the (nether)world of Disgaea 3 after only 2 nights. I've been trying to finish up Unit 13 (only a few missions and HVT's left!) and playing a little Tales of the Abyss 3DS on the side but I find once I start up Disgaea 3 intending to just play 1 battle or mess around for a few minutes I look up and hours have passed and it's time for bed.

"One quick battle!", I tell myself. "I just need a few more HL to outfit my new Heretic.' Or "I need to go create a new character, a thief this time, what should I name him?' And so it goes. And the huge customization options keep me playing and creating and tweaking and the next thing I know I've spent my whole night doing it.

Strangely enough I never got that way with the PS3 version. And I think it's because I can get up and walk around with my Vita so if I need to grab a snack or let the cat out I just get up and go do it and my Vita stays in my hand strapped to my wrist. And I keep thinking and plotting and playing even while moving from room to room and then back into my comfy chair. It's a dangerously convenient, comfortable way to play Disgaea and I'm loving it.

Cornbread78

Definately loving the game, I really hope the game sells well so maybe we can get Digaea 4 on VITA at some point if they can convert it. The game just plays so well on the handheld!

Top Bottom