• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 Complete Demo Now Available on the eShop

Unicorn

The story is insufferable, the characters are borderline offensive, and the cursor is finicky. was down to overlook the first 2 just to get a SRPG, but the cursor and strange difference of execute vs just resolving by hitting end turn has me bouncing. Glad this demo was here as I was able to see it's just not for me.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
The story is insufferable, the characters are borderline offensive, and the cursor is finicky. was down to overlook the first 2 just to get a SRPG, but the cursor and strange difference of execute vs just resolving by hitting end turn has be bouncing. Glad this demo was here as I was able to see its just not for me.

Had much the same take. To be fair, I don't really care for SRPGs usually, but the characters and tone were very offputting to me.

Tower Laser crashes the demo 100% of the time. Specifically I'm casting it with a female mage with the evility to reduce SP cost by 50%, so I can barely cast it...

StarPhlox

Never tried a Disgaea game before and I am actually liking the demo a bit. I think however that it's simply too much of a timesink for me to be able to justify getting at launch when I have a bunch of things to do in real life and a lot of great Switch games already. Seems like an awesome port though.

AniHawk

The story is insufferable, the characters are borderline offensive, and the cursor is finicky. was down to overlook the first 2 just to get a SRPG, but the cursor and strange difference of execute vs just resolving by hitting end turn has me bouncing. Glad this demo was here as I was able to see it's just not for me.

execute is if you want to have a number of characters finish an attack (so you don't waste time overkilling an opponent) and then continue with your turn. end turn is just to end the turn full stop. it might seem like they do the same thing, but they don't.

hampig

Demo seems good. I'm glad that the story isn't too in your face and easily skip-able because I love the style and all the systems they have going on. I'll play the demo for the next few days and see how I feel after a few hours but most likely this will be the Switch game that carries me to Splatoon.

killroy87

Super annoyed that we don't have a solid answer on if save data transfers. A ton of people have been asking on twitter, and they haven't answered clearly.

Cerium

Super annoyed that we don't have a solid answer on if save data transfers. A ton of people have been asking on twitter, and they haven't answered clearly.

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2017/05/16/disgaea-5-complete-demo-now-available/257402/

The demo lets players experience Disgaea 5 from the beginning while tracking all their progress that is able to transferred over for those who pick up a full copy.

They don't cite a source but everything indicates that saves will carry over.

Mbrill82

Dammit! I was reeeeeaaallllyy planning on skipping this after already buying Disgaea 5 on PS4 and then only playing 10 or so hours. But having it portable is just so good.

pariah164

The only Disgaea game I ever played through was Disgaea 1 on the PS2. I fiddled with 2, and totally skipped 3 and 4. The demo got me; buying digital when it drops. The only thing I'm leery of is that it feels like there's SO MUCH I have to do besides equip my characters and fight monsters, but at the same time, I'm catching on pretty quick. At least, I feel like I am.

killroy87

From the NIS twitter:

We'd like to confirm the save feature of #Disgaea5Complete's demo. The save data cannot be transferred to the full game.

Phew! Glad I haven't sunk in a bunch of time. I'll wait for release.

Kouriozan

dJTXYQj.png

Ashodin

The demo is REALLY good. Looks great on the Switch too. I'd recommend it if you've lapsed on any of the Disgaea games.

Dremorak

Banned

Glad to hear it wasnt just me lol. I was really looking forward to this and now its a miss for me. pretty disappointing

OmegaDL50

If the demo is the same as the PS4 one, then you can only play up until just the end of Chapter 1. What is the point of being able to save in the demo then if you cannot transfer it to the full game. This is the complete opposite of how it was for the PS4 version.

The only explanation I can think of is if the data on the Switch cartridge contains the save data and the external data cannot be written to the cart itself. However this would not explain a digital version of the game or being able to save on the Switch's internal memory or even usb based storage device utilized by the console.

I don't own a Switch myself but I like to know if the change of being unable to transfer your save from the demo to the full game being an NIS decision or otherwise.

the switch os is probably not capable of allowing demo save to be recognised by the full game

I doubt it. I think it's because they mucked with the demo and its data a lot to remove exploits that let you powerlevel for ages before even getting the game. Like it's clearly been hacked up and changed from the base game, quests that should trigger to open up more classes don't, and some abilities simply crash the game 100% of the time (Tower Fishing and Tower Laser).

With all the changes, who knows if the save data would match up with legit data anymore, like...the game knows that your character is above the level to unlock the thief class, but also saved the contents of your current quest list which doesn't include that quest?

oSoLucky

All this D5 talk lately had me fire up my PS4 save and mess around some. I've got 269.4 hours in it. I'm going to not be able to use my PS4 for the next 6 months or so, and was planning on picking up D5C but I'm not sure of I can go back to the start again. The first 80 hours or so(for me since I'm a huge Disgaea post game nut) will be just re-leveling to be able to start post game. All without those sweet PS4 money maps.

I LOVE these games portable though. I'm really torn.

I played some of the demo and I LOVE it. Never played a Disgaea game before but I love the gameplay and art style :eek:

(not the writing or voice acting though)

I'm almost definitely gonna buy it, but most likely for PS4. The Switch content doesn't seem substantial enough to be anywhere near as important as trophies for me. Also the rest of the franchise seems to be on Playstation, so if I were to get seriously into it, I'll want them all in one console family.

I played some of the demo and I LOVE it. Never played a Disgaea game before but I love the gameplay and art style :eek:

I'm almost definitely gonna buy it, but most likely for PS4. The Switch content doesn't seem substantial enough to be anywhere near as important as trophies for me. Also the rest of the franchise seems to be on Playstation, so if I were to get seriously into it, I'll want them all in one console family.

dont do it, disgaea works much better as a portable game

Cerium

The Switch version has Trophies as an in game feature.

dont do it, disgaea works much better as a portable game
The portableness nature is appealing... but 30 dollars more for a portable version that (I assume) is less powerful than the PS4 version? Not sure. Especially since I'm returning home from uni, which means I'll be home a lot more instead of out and about. But it's not something I will discount entirely!

The Switch version has Trophies as an in game feature.
Nowhere near the same. I'm talking about the system wide achievement/trophy architecture that Microsoft and Sony have that Nintendo doesn't. Multiplatforms are easily a better sell for consoles with those features for me.

Cerium

The portableness nature is appealing... but 30 dollars more for a portable version that (I assume) is less powerful than the PS4 version? Not sure. Especially since I'm returning home from uni, which means I'll be home a lot more instead of out and about. But it's not something I will discount entirely!

It's the same as the PS4 version except for docked resolution, and it contains $35 worth of DLC from the PS4 version. Do what pleases you, but be aware that most longtime Disgaea fans find portability to be very significant for the series.

Crash331

I'm kinda on the fence after the demo. How much of the game is actual strategic gameplay and how much of it is the hokey throwing people and stuff like that?

Also, is there not a way to see the attack range before you move? It's kinda lame having to either memorize attack ranges or constantly move people around. Didn't Fire Emblem do it so it would show you your move and attack range all at once?

Vinnk

The eShop says the supported languages are English and French :/

That's crazy. If so, I recommend that people who want the Japanese voice track should buy off the JPN eShop or import the physical.

I have the Japanese physical copy and it is great. (English, Japanese). But no French on there.

canocha

That's crazy. If so, I recommend that people who want the Japanese voice track should buy off the JPN eShop or import the physical.

I have the Japanese physical copy and it is great. (English, Japanese). But no French on there.

The European version:

• Language Audio: Japanese or English
  • Language Text: English and French

On the fence about getting this. I love SRPGs, but some of this series' mechanics bug me. Is it still necessary to do the item world a bunch, and respawn characters from level 1 a ton of times? I don't mind grinding for levels in general but something about these two mechanics drives me crazy.

So, I'm gonna be in the minority and say that I'm loving the game's batshit stupid story, characters and voice acting. It's all going perfectly hand in hand with Puyo Puyo Tetris's ridiculous plot. :p Seriphina's "Ohohoho!" is so reminiscent of guilty laughter from female characters in anime when they're being shady.

Couple of questions:

*How many characters maximum can I have on a map per battle? Does the cap ever change or increase?

*Some battle maps have treasure chests during battle. Well I miss out on these items if I don't attack them?

*My friend showed me how in Disgaea 4, you can alter your characters sprites between classic pixelated and HD. Did they get rid of this in 5?

*Is there any benefit or point to attacking seemingly inconsequential "set dressing" items on the battle map like the blood parched cactus?

*Is there a way to change the default song that plays in the pocket netherworld? I simultaneously love it and hate it. The vocals are ridiculously janky.

D:

WHY. I'm loving the demo, but I'll probably stop playing till the proper game arrives then. I already got so invested, and recruited new characters with badass stupid random names. How can they mess this up even 3DS demos let you transfer data to full games. :/

OmegaDL50

On the fence about getting this. I love SRPGs, but some of this series' mechanics bug me. Is it still necessary to do the item world a bunch, and respawn characters from level 1 a ton of times? I don't mind grinding for levels in general but something about these two mechanics drives me crazy.

Reincarnation isn't even necessary until well into the post game. Which at that point you can level a character from 1 to 9999 in a single battle.

Also reincarnation isn't just wiping the slate clean. There are literal permanent benefits attached to it. A character that has higher stats at level 1 will have higher stats at level 9999, due to how stats are scaled from level to level due to a specific mathematical formula.

The item world is only ever mandatory once in the story mode, and it's usually always on chapter 3 of each game which you need to level an item a equipable item to 10 to be used as a key which after that point you never need to worry about again.

However there are other numerous benefits to item world you may want to take advantage of that can reduce a lot of the tedium and need to grind.

OmegaDL50

So, I'm gonna be in the minority and say that I'm loving the game's batshit stupid story, characters and voice acting. It's all going perfectly hand in hand with Puyo Puyo Tetris's ridiculous plot. :p Seriphina's "Ohohoho!" is so reminiscent of guilty laughter from female characters in anime when they're being shady.

Couple of questions:

*How many characters maximum can I have on a map per battle? Does the cap ever change or increase?

Initially 10. Later on you unlock it to 15 permanently, and a special proposal in a assembly allows you temporarily raise it to 20 for a single battle, which this proposal can be passed as many times as you like.

*Some battle maps have treasure chests during battle. Well I miss out on these items if I don't attack them?

Treasure Boxes on maps are not automatically acquired at the end of battle. You must destroy them to get the items inside. Eventually the Thief class gets a skill called Thief Key which allows you destroy any treasure box in a single blow.

*My friend showed me how in Disgaea 4, you can alter your characters sprites between classic pixelated and HD. Did they get rid of this in 5?

The classic sprites don't exist for D5 because some characters literally don't have them. mainly some of the DLC characters such as Metallia, the new classes like Maid, Wrestler, Dark Knight, and so on, including the new main cast.

*Is there any benefit or point to attacking seemingly inconsequential "set dressing" items on the battle map like the blood parched cactus?

Actually yes, multiple benefits. Casting spells or using skills level up based on how many times you use them. So you can get free skill exp just for wasting these inanimate objects. Same applies for weapon exp. Also much later on in the game you can create your own custom battle maps, Each object you destroy is unlocked to be used as a placeable object when creating your own maps. So try and destroy everything you see.

*Is there a way to change the default song that plays in the pocket netherworld? I simultaneously love it and hate it. The vocals are ridiculously janky.

In the Netherworld Base, there is a Moth NPC called the Data Shop, talk to him, buried in his menus somewhere is a BGM option that allows you change the music to the base and several other locations. You can change the music to whatever you want the only restriction mind you you had to hear the song at least once in-game previously.

Aw, bummer about progress caring over. I'm hardly crushed, but I might have not put on quite as much time with the demo.

Oh well. My Amazon order is supposedly shipping today, so it's not like the wait is interminable.

Initially 10. Later on you unlock it to 15 permanently, and a special proposal in a assembly allows you temporarily raise it to 20 for a single battle, which this proposal can be passed as many times as you like.

Treasure Boxes on maps are not automatically acquired at the end of battle. You must destroy them to get the items inside. Eventually the Thief class gets a skill called Thief Key which allows you destroy any treasure box in a single blow.

The classic sprites don't exist for D5 because some characters literally don't have them. mainly some of the DLC characters such as Metallia, the new classes like Maid, Wrestler, Dark Knight, and so on, including the new main cast.

Actually yes, multiple benefits. Casting spells or using skills level up based on how many times you use them. So you can get free skill exp just for wasting these inanimate objects. Same applies for weapon exp. Also much later on in the game you can create your own custom battle maps, Each object you destroy is unlocked to be used as a placeable object when creating your own maps. So try and destroy everything you see.

In the Netherworld Base, there is a Moth NPC called the Data Shop, talk to him, buried in his menus somewhere is a BGM option that allows you change the music to the base and several other locations. You can change the music to whatever you want the only restriction mind you you had to hear the song at least once in-game previously.

Thank you! ^-^

So the Japanese version can be played with English subtitles on everything? Is the text the same as it is in the demo, or is it a different localization? I was willing to wait for the NA release but I'm really not feeling the dub in this game and no JP voices would be a big bummer.

So the Japanese version can be played with English subtitles on everything? Is the text the same as it is in the demo, or is it a different localization? I was willing to wait for the NA release but I'm really not feeling the dub in this game and no JP voices would be a big bummer.

im 90% sure it the NA version will have jpn voices, french is probably just a text option, i dont believe a french dub exists

Nowhere near the same. I'm talking about the system wide achievement/trophy architecture that Microsoft and Sony have that Nintendo doesn't. Multiplatforms are easily a better sell for consoles with those features for me.
you will probably be doing alot of mundane grinding in disgaea games so you want to be able to watch something while grinding so unless you have a way to watch stuff while playing on a tv, you will probably get bored quickly

daxy

Is there any difference in localization between the US/EU release and the JP version? Thinking of getting the Japanese version because it's cheaper.

Top Bottom