• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 Complete rated for PC

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/Synopsis.aspx?Certificate=34841&Title=Disgaea+5+Complete

DAf88ShWsAARxMJ.jpg:large

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
NIS finally acting like a company that still wants to be around 5 years from now.

I'd forgotten that Disgaea 5 had the "Only on PlayStation" label on its boxart for the PS4, so I'm guessing that explains the "Complete" moniker, which wasn't used for the Japanese release on Switch. Either that or NISA is smart enough to want to boast about the included DLC as well, or NIS didn't want the PS4 version to seem "incomplete" in Japan.

selo

Ohh, I just bought it for the switch. Personally, the game seems to be more enjoyable on the go though, so I'm OK with my purchase

1 -> 2 -> 5?

Or just long-term planning, lol.

Switch definitely inheriting Vita's mantle among Japanese third-parties anyway.

Elven_Star

It makes more financial sense to prioritize the newer games and work on the backlog inbetween new releases.
If 5 is the next Disgaea on PC, 3 and 4 will follow after.

Sure, but jumping from 1 and 2 to 5, and then going back to 3 and 4 seems weird to me.

AniHawk

That's my question too.

if they do a pc version of 5, it will be based off complete. if they do a pc version of 3 and 4, it would need to be ported to the pc because the versions they'd base them off of would be the vita games. 4 in particular has a hard time on the vita so it would be more like making disgaea 4 for ps3 and with all the vita stuff. i believe that means getting a new rating. but the game doesn't technically exist yet so it would have to be rated sometime in the future.

disgaea 5 complete probably isn't going to change between the switch release and an eventual pc release, so they got both ratings now. doing 5 then 3 and 4 means even fewer people will play 3 and 4. but people will probably play 5 regardless and especially 6.

Ascheroth

Sure, but jumping from 1 and 2 to 5, and then going back to 3 and 4 seems weird to me.
Sure, but if they'd continue releasing 1 game a year, 5 would be out in 2020 at which point it would be old news and they'd have to sell it for 20$ like the others instead of selling it now for a higher price. Among other reasons.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Great to know some people keep shitposting with that crap.

Also this. It's just a way to save time and money for ESRB application.

How the fuck was it a shit post? Dude could be legitimately happy that it will be coming to a platform that objectively has the best backwards compatibility and as such the most potential for software preservation. Why are you mad about it?

How the fuck was it a shit post? Dude could be legitimately happy that it will be coming to a platform that objectively has the best backwards compatibility and as such the most potential for software preservation. Why are you mad about it?

Because he isnt ? He expressed several times that he found the "preservation thing" laughable. So yes, I think that when someone comes onto a thread into he has no interest just to post something about he find laughable is shit posting.

There are portable PCs too.

They are, but they don't provide an ounce of the user experience of a device dedicated to doing its job. It's like comparing the iPhone circa-2009 to a Windows Mobile 7 device, or the iPad circa-2010 to your stock netbook. Sure, the netbook is a portable PC that plays Plants Vs Zombies HD too, but the user experience is so much worse.

Windows brings with it 30 years of user interfaces and code designed for computers which aren't portable PCs - so you're stuck having to poke at tiny user interface elements (or comically large desktop icons), or having to include a hardware keyboard on your portable PC to ensure PC games - which target keyboard and mouse desktop users - are playable without any issues.

It's a shame in a way, as I thought Windows 8 nailed the user experience on these sorts of devices. It would be so much better than what 10 brought back. And if developers embraced those interface paradigms there'd be some great portable computers for gaming which don't have to adhere to the keyboard-and-mouse paradigm in a clunky way. It also doesn't help that Intel's effectively killed off the Atom CPU line.

if they do a pc version of 5, it will be based off complete. if they do a pc version of 3 and 4, it would need to be ported to the pc because the versions they'd base them off of would be the vita games. 4 in particular has a hard time on the vita so it would be more like making disgaea 4 for ps3 and with all the vita stuff. i believe that means getting a new rating. but the game doesn't technically exist yet so it would have to be rated sometime in the future.

disgaea 5 complete probably isn't going to change between the switch release and an eventual pc release, so they got both ratings now. doing 5 then 3 and 4 means even fewer people will play 3 and 4. but people will probably play 5 regardless and especially 6.
Fewer people playing 4 would be sad because that was the best one of the PS3 gen.

They are, but they don't provide an ounce of the user experience of a device dedicated to doing its job. It's like comparing the iPhone circa-2009 to a Windows Mobile 7 device.

Windows brings with it 30 years of user interfaces and code designed for computers which aren't portable PCs - so you're stuck having to poke at tiny user interface elements (or comically large desktop icons), or having to include a hardware keyboard on your portable PC to ensure PC games - which target keyboard and mouse desktop users - are playable without any issues.

It's a shame in a way, as I thought Windows 8 nailed the user experience on these sorts of devices. It would be so much better than what 10 brought back. And if developers embraced those interface paradigms there'd be some great portable computers for gaming which don't have to adhere to the keyboard-and-mouse paradigm in a clunky way. It also doesn't help that Intel's effectively killed off the Atom CPU line.

Well, that's basically the GPD Win then

They are, but they don't provide an ounce of the user experience of a device dedicated to doing its job. It's like comparing the iPhone circa-2009 to a Windows Mobile 7 device.

Using a Surface and I would argue the tablet-mode is actually pretty great. If you have one of those new Xbox One controllers, you can easily connect it via Bluetooth and play games like Disgaea on that.

But of course a dedicated gaming plattform is still easier to use than Windows.

Well, that's basically the GPD Win then

My mention of having to include a hardware keyboard just because PC game development basically targets win32 and users with desktops and keyboard and mouse was indeed a reference to the GPD Win.

I'm kinda glad they did. Core Ms are much better though obviously more expensive.

The best ARM CPU designs are running rings about the Core Ms for performance at a fraction of the price, though. Core Ms are indeed expensive, which ends up limiting them to a smaller market (you mostly find them in ultrabooks)

Using a Surface and I would argue the tablet-mode is actually pretty great. If you have one of those new Xbox One controllers, you can easily connect it via Bluetooth and play games like Disgaea on that.

But of course a dedicated gaming plattform is still easier to use than Windows.

Windows 10 + Tablet mode on a Surface just about works for what it's trying to do, but is a huge step down from using 8.1 on the same Surface.

Basically, Windows 8, and its apps, were designed around bezel gestures that were easily accessible via thumb swipes. 10 got rid of this all, and desktop apps which go fullscreen in tablet mode are often laid out in ways which don't suit touch interactivity (Edge will place tabs high up at the top of the screen, in 8 Immersive IE was always full-screen, and you swiped up from the bottom to show tabs).

Most of this list of downgrades from 8 still bodes true today.

Takao

Banned
Because he isnt ? He expressed several times that he found the "preservation thing" laughable. So yes, I think that when someone comes onto a thread into he has no interest just to post something about he find laughable is shit posting.

I think you have me confused with someone else. Looking into my own post history, I've found one joke post about game preservation and it was about a game that's getting a day-1 PC release lol.

Maybe this thread about Disgaea 5 isn't the best place to argue about the merits of mobile gaming?

On topic, can anyone summarize the game for me? I've never played a Disgaea game, is it an RPG?

Top Bottom