• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 releasing October 6th in NA

$75?

I'm guessing you mean the $60 and whatever the Season Pass costs?

I believe the Season Pass is 4000 yen, which to USD roughly $33.

I hope NISA doesn't plan to try and jack the price up in the US and try to push this season pass for $50 instead of the $30 or so it SHOULD be.

I still remember that $50 DLC pack that Disgaea 3 had on PS3...which was required to obtain everything. As some of the content was only available in the $50 pack and not for individual sale.

$75 is the Canadian price. Well, for now, but it is likely to go up by release...

OmegaDL50

okay. Though I wonder how much gpu the game uses and possibly helping the calculations by offloading certain sets to the gpu side. That is if they are not doing that.

I still just find it a bit hard to believe that it is impossible to run on the vita.

GPU really would only help with graphics end of it. There is very little compute that the GPU would be able to help with that the CPU would mostly need to deal with.

Even so, the only way I'd see the game feasible on Vita was if certain maps from the console version that have several dozen units on screen, be changed with to have smaller groups.

At that point Vita owners wouldn't be happy because they would effectively be getting a "gimped" release without full gameplay function.

I know some people prefer to have something rather than nothing, but would reduced unit numbers and larger scale battles being omitted truly be worth it in exchange?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
GPU really would only help with graphics end of it. There is very little compute that the GPU would be able to help with that the CPU would mostly need to deal with.

Even so, the only way I'd see the game feasible on Vita was if certain maps from the console version that have several dozen units on screen, be changed with to have smaller groups.

At that point Vita owners wouldn't be happy because they would effectively be getting a "gimped" release without full gameplay function.

I know some people prefer to have something rather than nothing, but would reduced unit numbers and larger scale battles being omitted truly be worth it in exchange?

I kinda wonder if NIS is rethinking that stance seeing how the JP PS4 numbers did... Even then agree with you 100% on the "gimped" version would not be met with any more enthusiasm once word gets out.

desmax

And there is also Revenge Mode to consider, so we could have dozens of units getting stats boosts at the same time (At least in theory). That could be hardware demanding

OmegaDL50

Was not too amused with the Japan season pass thing...

Well it's not ideal, I agree.

Disgaea 4 console DLC for everything it costs $103 USD, That is almost buying the game twice over at retail.

Thankfully the Vita release came out and included everything which those skipped the console version saved a TON of money.

Still if I had a choice I much rather spend $30 or so for a season pass for extra characters and stages, rather than the $103 to buy everything separately.

It's bad enough this is the first time in the series history that Leharl, Etna, and Flonne are DLC characters, they were always post game recruits in the past.

Simple numeric calculations with well defined triggers are more or less the definition of computationally cheap.

My best guess is that its a property of the engine/code base they are using (for graphic particularly) and they don't think it's worth the cost of a redesign and rewrite. Part of it may be that consoles and portables are highly optimized for non-sprite based stuff these days which probably isn't helping.

$75?

I'm guessing you mean the $60 and whatever the Season Pass costs?

I believe the Season Pass is 4000 yen, which to USD roughly $33.

I hope NISA doesn't plan to try and jack the price up in the US and try to push this season pass for $50 instead of the $30 or so it SHOULD be.

I still remember that $50 DLC pack that Disgaea 3 had on PS3...which was required to obtain everything. As some of the content was only available in the $50 pack and not for individual sale.

I live in Canada.

Erekiddo

Hopefully this isn't the last Disgaea release we see.

Haven't Nippon Ichi been experiencing some financial issues lately?

Parakeetman

Well it's not ideal, I agree.

Disgaea 4 console DLC for everything it costs $103 USD, That is almost buying the game twice over at retail.

Thankfully the Vita release came out and included everything which those skipped the console version saved a TON of money.

Still if I had a choice I much rather spend $30 or so for a season pass for extra characters and stages, rather than the $103 to buy everything separately.

It's bad enough this is the first time in the series history that Leharl, Etna, and Flonne are DLC characters, they were always post game recruits in the past.

Honestly it seems like its getting worse as it goes along. Not a trend I like that much.
Regardless of that have both the PS3 and Vita versions of 4. Thankfully did not spend anything on the DLC of the PS3 version.

Love the series, but not the business model trend...

Game Guru

I kinda wonder if NIS is rethinking that stance seeing how the JP PS4 numbers did... Even then agree with you 100% on the "gimped" version would not be met with any more enthusiasm once word gets out.

I'm not so sure... Didn't NIS say that Disgaea games sell better outside of Japan? Assuming that's the case, NIS is wiser to have made Disgaea 5 a PS4 exclusive since the majority of their customers are going to be on the PS4 because everyone outside of Japan has dropped last-gen like a rock, and after the pitiful ratio between the PS4 and the XB1 sales of Final Fantasy Type-0, Disgaea is certainly not going to sell on the XB1.

OmegaDL50

Hopefully this isn't the last Disgaea release we see.

Haven't Nippon Ichi been experiencing some financial issues lately?

If you mean that rumor that NIS would go bankrupt if Disgaea 5 didn't sell well. That was debunked sort of.

President Niikawa was basically doing a bit of self depreciating humor. When the conversation was localized for several game news websites. They took his meaning as literal and yellow journalism won the day.

It's bad enough some websites didn't even bother amending the news with corrected statement NISA sent out, which causes a bit of misinformation still.

Parakeetman

I'm not so sure... Didn't NIS say that Disgaea games sell better outside of Japan? Assuming that's the case, NIS is wiser to have made Disgaea 5 a PS4 exclusive since the majority of their customers are going to be on the PS4 because everyone outside of Japan has dropped last-gen like a rock, and after the pitiful ratio between the PS4 and the XB1 sales of Final Fantasy Type-0, Disgaea is certainly not going to sell on the XB1.

Regardless of that though it still hurts them in the eyes of the domestic investors as they start to wonder what are they putting their money into projects for is how I would see it. Since they still need to present reports and such of domestic sales numbers and whatnots.

When I say rethinking I mean in regards to their initial statement on a vita version. As otherwise they will have to pray the sales do well in the long run as the initial numbers were not too hot. Granted am sure what they say about no vita version is true, but that does not change the fact that they now need to figure out how to get more sales out from the game. Am sure the word is already all over the net too about the DLC / season pass and such. Am unsure what kind of reactions that is garnering since have not looked it up.

desmax

Yeah, he said that more than half of the franchise sales comes from overseas on a famitsu interview (Can't find the link now)

Even Disgaea 5 seems like it was made for western audiences imo

KiraXD

i love Disgaea, but man, this game looks like crap on PS4... sprites are STILL incredibly low res... WHY?!

(JP PSN has a Digaea 5 demo for PS+)

OmegaDL50

Ah. Yeah sorry about that. I think you guys should be paying less. I have a friend from St. Catherines, Ontario just outside of Buffalo. He goes across the border and buys his games in the States rather than home. The only issue is dealing with customs when he goes back home.

I think it's a pain in the ass. I feel even worse for my European buddies.

Ah. Yeah sorry about that. I think you guys should be paying less. I have a friend from St. Catherines, Ontario just outside of Buffalo. He goes across the border and buys his games in the States rather than home. The only issue is dealing with customs when he goes back home.

I think it's a pain in the ass. I feel even worse for my European buddies.

Yeah, it sucks and it's only getting worse, but I make do as best I can.

Kasper

For those worried about NIS' financials, don't be. We haven't had the yearly earnings report just yet, but the quarterly financials through out 2014 have mostly been looking decent, although they haven't been anywhere nearly as strong as 2013.

They're set to do a little less than 2010 and 2011 (unless the last quarter has suddenly been a huge leap compared to the past 3), but unlike 2012 they're not going to have a catastrophic year in the red.

You can read up on the details here: http://www.bloomberg.com/research/s...aset=incomeStatement&period=A&currency=native

desmax

For those worried about NIS' financials, don't be. We haven't had the yearly earnings report just yet, but the quarterly financials through out 2014 have mostly been looking decent, although they haven't been anywhere nearly as strong as 2013.

They're set to do a little less than 2010 and 2011 (unless the last quarter has suddenly been a huge leap compared to the past 3), but unlike 2012 they're not going to have a catastrophic year in the red.

You can read up on the details here: http://www.bloomberg.com/research/s...aset=incomeStatement&period=A&currency=native

Thanks for the more detailed link, I normally always look at their Google Finances page to see if they're doing fine

https://www.google.com/finance?q=nippon+ichi&ei=sFTdVMGdC8TB8ganuIHoDQ

Parakeetman

Good info there thanks.

OmegaDL50

i love Disgaea, but man, this game looks like crap on PS4... sprites are STILL incredibly low res... WHY?!

FBkG02A.gif
- this is the warrior sprite in Disgaea 3

4GplUJi.png
- this is the warrior sprite in Disgaea 4.

I think the newer sprites they made for Disgaea 4 and DD2 are more than adequate. I really don't see them redrawing them again anytime soon.

Parakeetman

FBkG02A.gif

4GplUJi.png

I think the newer sprites they made for Disgaea 4 and DD2 are more than adequate. I really don't see them redrawing them again anytime soon.

I seriously wonder what people expect out of sprites sometimes with comments like what you had responded to.

KiraXD

FBkG02A.gif

4GplUJi.png

LOL it doesnt look ANYTHING like that in game.

Heres in-game D5 Warrior Sprite:
iYFzlAdFoXsg6.jpg

I seriously wonder what people expect out of sprites sometimes with comments like what you had responded to.
And i EXPECT something along the lines of Dragons Crown-type sprites these days... Disgaea hasnt upscaled their sprites very well over the years... its a VERY slight upgrade.

Heres Screens from the Disgaea 5 JP Demo:

ivjwkkWDXcfOz.jpg

iBtIwPOtmKDS0.jpg

ibvjE465CXTkc9.jpg

As you can see... not very sharp or clean... just kinda... meh.

Muzicfreq

Banned
LOL it doesnt look ANYTHING like that in game.

Heres in-game D5 Warrior Sprite:
iYFzlAdFoXsg6.jpg

And i EXPECT something along the lines of Dragons Crown-type sprites these days... Disgaea hasnt upscaled their sprites very well over the years... its a VERY slight upgrade.

Heres Screens from the Disgaea 5 JP Demo:

ivjwkkWDXcfOz.jpg

iBtIwPOtmKDS0.jpg

ibvjE465CXTkc9.jpg

As you can see... not very sharp or clean... just kinda... meh.
I hate to say it but that looks like lazy development

Though I wouldn't expect Dragon's Crown Sprites... that would look creepy

OmegaDL50

Dragon's Crown level of detail and 100 units max on screen.

These are unrealistic expectations.

It's bad enough some have the impression that high res 2D can't be as demanding as some 3D games.

A sprite is more or less a texture. Pushing them at high enough resolution and many on screen at once is a serious memory hog.

I'd rather have Disgaea 4 sprite detail and having dozens of units in large scale battles, rather then say having some ultra high res sprites and not even being able to push barely 20 units max.

KiraXD

Dragon's Crown level of detail and 100 units max on screen.

These are unrealistic expectations.

It's bad enough some have the impression that high res 2D can't be as demanding as some 3D games.

A sprite is more or less a texture. Pushing them at high enough resolution and many on screen at once is a serious memory hog.

I'd rather have Disgaea 4 sprite detail and having dozens of units in large scale battles, rather then say having some ultra high res sprites and not even being able to push barely 20 units max.

what i mean when i say dragons crown style sprites... i just want smooth crisp sprites... doesnt have to be as BIG as dragons crown... just along the lines of
4GplUJi.png

even... i just want it to look EXACTLY like this... no jaggies, no low res... just this size sprite, with this smooth crisp look.

Muzicfreq

Banned
what i mean when i say dragons crown style sprites... i just want smooth crisp sprites... doesnt have to be as BIG as dragons crown... just along the lines of
4GplUJi.png

even... i just want it to look EXACTLY like this... no jaggies, no low res... just this size sprite, with this smooth crisp look.

Ah, that should be doable.

I highly doubt the PS4 is getting anywhere near maxed out by this game and if it is, I personally think there's tons and tons of garbage code that could be scrapped or reworked.

But that's my take on things. I wish I had the tools to see what exactly would cause bottlenecks on the systems since just telling me that it's all calculations that's bottlenecking the game sounds pretty bad

OmegaDL50

4GplUJi.png

That is a ripped from a sprite sheet directly from Disgaea 4.

That IS what the sprites look like. It's not a vector. Also NIS generally makes the sprites much larger then what they appear in game and scale them down. (Due to rotation and camera zooming in and out)

The game always will be zoomed out slightly to accommodate being able to show multiple units on screen, so showing the sprite detail at it's native res generally only happens during special attacks when the camera zooms in.

Also Disgaea 5 could very well be rendering at a higher resolution. This would have the equivalent effect of taking a image file and increasing its size, this would cause pixelation and aliasing proportionate to the native res of the image itself being blown up, and with a filter being thrown on top this would cause blurring.

It's possible whatever filter being used in Disgaea 5's renderer may be what is causing the sprites to display as they do, which would be strange.

Skittles

Going from pixelated to hand-drawn is a slight upgrade...ok

Also I hope you realize the absurd amount of man hours it would take to draw sprites at dragon crown's level lol. Not only do you have to re-draw sprites for many different colors, you also need to draw them from 4 different angles(which is something dragon's crown didn't have to worry about). You also need to make sure they don't scale horribly. The budget to do something like that would be creeping into AAA territory and NIS is incredibly small.
edit: On top of all that, i'm not even sure a very high end PC could handle the amount of memory the game would need at that point

Mikey Jr.

For me, it's not about the sprites or graphics.

It's just feels like the same game I've played 10 years ago.

Yeah, they add little stuff here and there, but largely it's the same basic formula for the past 6 games. It's gotten stale.

OmegaDL50

There is several notable improvements to the games mechanics. In fact I say most of the streamlining in DD2 and the additions in Disgaea 5 make it much more refined since Disgaea 1.

For example

And I don't know everything. There are other things about Disgaea 5 that are new that isn't covered.

There is several notable improvements to the games mechanics. In fact I say most of the streamlining in DD2 and the additions in Disgaea 5 make it much more refined since Disgaea 1.

For example

And I don't know everything. There are other things about Disgaea 5 that are new that isn't covered.

How's the story and are the characters likeable. Always loved the interaction between Laharl, Flonne and Etna.

Cannot wait to see how Laharl will be put inside this game

This is the first Disgaea line game that he isn't in at all, by default, he's DLC rather than post game content.

ETA - Exempting the original La Pucelle Tactics of course, since that game actually pre-dated Disgaea and got integrated in later. He also doesn't show up in Soul Nomad (except as a Voice cameo) or Grim Grimoire.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I know it's an unpopular opinion around here, but I wish they would junk sprites all together.

If they had the budget for all that work and the PS4 could handle it, I bet that would be great. Imagine it with an engine like Guilty Gear Xrd or the newer Naruto and DBZ games.

To keep a similar feel, they would just need to be careful to stick to the 2D animation style for motion, meaning instant transitions to new poses in some cases. Picking up an enemy for a throw, for example, would be worse if they tried to make it a smooth animation.

KiraXD

That is a ripped from a sprite sheet directly from Disgaea 4.

That IS what the sprites look like. It's not a vector. Also NIS generally makes the sprites much larger then what they appear in game and scale them down. (Due to rotation and camera zooming in and out)

The game always will be zoomed out slightly to accommodate being able to show multiple units on screen, so showing the sprite detail at it's native res generally only happens during special attacks when the camera zooms in.

Also Disgaea 5 could very well be rendering at a higher resolution. This would have the equivalent effect of taking a image file and increasing its size, this would cause pixelation and aliasing proportionate to the native res of the image itself being blown up, and with a filter being thrown on top this would cause blurring.

It's possible whatever filter being used in Disgaea 5's renderer may be what is causing the sprites to display as they do, which would be strange.

That makes no sense to me. if its ripped from the game...

Why doesnt (disgaea 4) THIS:
iXD1mlUok1cVJ.jpg

Look like this:
4GplUJi.png

I fully expect it to look as smooth as that warrior sprite fully zoomed in. Thats my only expectation for these games on new consoles.

Neither D4 nor D5 look like that warrior sprite. It should look like that when fully zoomed in.

Heres D5's 3 Zoom distances. the sprites look better when zooming all the way out, however, i dont play at the furthest zoom level very often. the closest zoom should be the native res for the sprite... not the furthest.

iR7KQFyZLnlyN.jpg

ihZ2n71crQiFi.jpg

ivjwkkWDXcfOz.jpg

Going from pixelated to hand-drawn is a slight upgrade...ok

Also I hope you realize the absurd amount of man hours it would take to draw sprites at dragon crown's level lol. Not only do you have to re-draw sprites for many different colors, you also need to draw them from 4 different angles(which is something dragon's crown didn't have to worry about). You also need to make sure they don't scale horribly. The budget to do something like that would be creeping into AAA territory and NIS is incredibly small.
edit: On top of all that, i'm not even sure a very high end PC could handle the amount of memory the game would need at that point

I know what it takes going into hand drawn games as its what im currently working on myself being that my occupation is artist.

But i dont think asking for the devs to up-res their sprites slightly as per my example above, is asking too much or would take too much more manpower/horsepower (again im not talking dragons crown "style" or "size"... just using its smooth clean sprites as a base comparison.)

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Season pass is gonna suck, especially with the loss of post-game characters include din the base game.

We'll have to wait and see on the price, tho I'm guessing at least 30 bucks, given the price in Japan.

Will probably be a better deal than the insanity that was D3, as was mentioned earlier.

Good to know the date, tho.

Top Bottom