• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 releasing October 6th in NA

Not sure if this is old news or not but I noticed Gamefly has the date set for 10/06 (Tuesday) -> http://www.gamefly.com/#!/game/Disgaea-5-Alliance-of-Vengeance/5009234

Also is 10/06 on Amazon -> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RUZPKYY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Lock if old news
void0-33.gif

Yesterday at the NISA press event, they said "autumn 2015" again for Disgaea 5. If they had a target date for october 6th, it's crazy they would not announce it at the event :|

salromano

To clarify, by NISA's words, it's fall 2015 (meaning no officially announced date from them), but the retailer listings for their games are usually accurate.

3rd party playstation exclusive?

Outside of a DS port of the first game and two phone games, it's always been a PlayStation-only series.

cat with newspaper I should play Disgaea

Where's the best place to start?! Can I jump in anywhere? (I'm sure this gets asked a lot, sorry.)

Awesome news, though; two days before my birthday!!

Will I be able to finish 4 and D2 by the time it drops?

I won't :(

Define 'finish.' D2's campaign is really short. If your goal is to kill the hardest boss in the game then you definitely have enough time. If your goal is to have a perfected roster of characters and items then...you probably still have enough time but you're insane.

desmax

Where's the best place to start?! Can I jump in anywhere? (I'm sure this gets asked a lot, sorry.)

Every story is self contained, so no need to worry (But Post-Game does have some character from other titles of the developer, so you might get a little confused there; but nothing to worry about).

Start with Disgaea 4, it's my personal favorite. D2 is also cool, as it streamlined some more complicated stuff, but it's a direct "sequel" to the first one, so the story can be confusing.

SerTapTap

The first game is the best/most popular story, but games are never direct sequels (minor exceptions are Disgaea 2 and Disgaea D2, a not-quite sequel and a direct sequel respectively). Starting with the latest generally gets you all the modern nicities and gameplay updates and a fresh story. I'd go for either D2 (knowing that you're missing the backstory, and also D2's story isn't as good) or Disgaea 4 Vita edition for the most up to date experience. Disgaea 1 PSP is ideal if you care more for story but it's missing some cool stuff and the weapon level system is a bit gross.

If you don't get sucked into the postgame none of the games are extremely long for an SRPG though so you could probably bang through a couple if you wanted to say play Disgaea 1 PSP then disgaea D2 for the best of story and arguably the best of gameplay/systems.

Will I be able to finish 4 and D2 by the time it drops?

I won't :(

Single playthrough, no LoC/significant postgame content? Sure. They're not really THAT long if you don't get into/deliberately avoid postgame.

Every story is self contained, so no need to worry (But Post-Game does have some character from other titles of the developer, so you might get a little confused there; but nothing to worry about).

Start with Disgaea 4, it's my personal favorite. D2 is also cool, as it streamlined some more complicated stuff, but it's a direct "sequel" to the first one, so the story can be confusing.

Really the most important things you miss out on are the personalities of Etna, Flonne and Laharl, even being a direct sequel there isn't too much call back except for the character's personal histories. But the first is still great to play for that reason. Also the music.
And the feels.

TomShoe

Banned
The fuck is my Asagi game?

Still, that's 2 days after I hit the two decade mark. Will be a nice birthday gift (to myself, I keep my weeb games under wraps)

Alucrid

Banned
will 5 be easier to get into than 1-4? tried to get into 3 on the vita, but it feels like they throw you to the wolves with all the systems and shit. maybe srpgs aren't for me

SerTapTap

will 5 be easier to get into than 1-4? tried to get into 3 on the vita, but it feels like they throw you to the wolves with all the systems and shit. maybe srpgs aren't for me

Disgaea D2 streamlines some of the stuff but they've seldom removed mechanics. I think you're getting too far ahead of yourself though, it's quite possible to play the main story just fine without managing very many of the complex things at all. Just buy the best gear, keep your team leveled, don't reincarnate too much, think strategically and you'll be fine. Item World and inheritance is cool stuff but you absolutely don't need to min-max or even touch that stuff to make the credits roll.

I would just pick a solid team of Generic units+ story characters you like, level them up and buy gear like any game and not fuss too much about anything but advancing the story if that's what you'd rather do.

desmax

Really the most important things you miss out on are the personalities of Etna, Flonne and Laharl, even being a direct sequel there isn't too much call back except for the character's personal histories. But the first is still great to play for that reason. Also the music.
And the feels.

But I did remember them making references to past events, so it could confuse newer players, but it might not be a big problem
(DD2 story was the worst in the series for me anyway)
. But hey, if he can play the first one first, great, the story is really nice, and the gameplay improvements of the newer ones makes it hard for me to get back to the older ones.

The first game is the best/most popular story, but games are never direct sequels (minor exceptions are Disgaea 2 and Disgaea D2, a not-quite sequel and a direct sequel respectively). Starting with the latest generally gets you all the modern nicities and gameplay updates and a fresh story. I'd go for either D2 (knowing that you're missing the backstory, and also D2's story isn't as good) or Disgaea 4 Vita edition for the most up to date experience. Disgaea 1 PSP is ideal if you care more for story but it's missing some cool stuff and the weapon level system is a bit gross.

If you don't get sucked into the postgame none of the games are extremely long for an SRPG though so you could probably bang through a couple if you wanted to say play Disgaea 1 PSP then disgaea D2 for the best of story and arguably the best of gameplay/systems.

play every single gameeeeee

Thanks so much for the responses, guys!! I will mull over the options tonight - with your advice in mind, of course - and make a decision. I feel bad for never playing one of these, but it's awesome to know that the stories are self-contained! I don't mind starting from the beginning, but I know what you mean about having the updated systems helping me get into the series (and things of that nature). Based on what's been said, I'll probably start with 4 and then go from there (assuming I get into it)! Thanks again!

SerTapTap

The fuck is my Asagi game?

Still, that's 2 days after I hit the two decade mark. Will be a nice birthday gift (to myself, I keep my weeb games under wraps)

Posts like this are super depressing. You might want to get some friends that actually respect you if you're afraid to enjoy what you enjoy.

Still need to beat 3 and 4 first... Never played Disgaea on console, not sure I want to :<

Looks and controls so good. I still prefer it on console even if the portable versions are annoyingly the "improved" ones.

FluxWaveZ

Disgaea 5 and Bloodborne are releasing on the same day in Japan. It'd be real "funny" if Persona 5 released at the same time as Disgaea 5 in North America.

A little later than I would like, but it is nice to have it before the big holiday push. I think the only major releases before it would be the Destiny expansion a whole month earlier in September, so hopefully Sony will not have any issue putting front and center of PSN.

Mikey Jr.

Honestly, nearly all of them are not linked, so you can jump into any one.

Having said that, the newer you go, the more refined the gameplay, so I'd do that. Go with D2.

Having said THAT, focus on one game. These games can take a hundred hours if you want to do a lot of the stuff. Starting from 1 and going that way is going to burn you out very quickly.

Top Bottom