• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgea 3 announced for PS3, Looks like PS2 game

Status
Not open for further replies.

OatmealMu

Sho Nuff said:
Sprites!!!

159fs472297.jpg

159fs472525.jpg
159fs472525.jpg
159fs472525.jpg

kassatsu

Banned
Darji said:
dont know if this is true because i cant speak japanese....

can someone confirm this?
Dont see that. There is this though.

画面は開発中のものです。実際の製品とは異なる場合があります。
Standard dev speak for screen shots represent gameplay in development and do not represent the final build.

Dizzy

Banned
So people complain that consoles like PS3 require everything to be high-budget and have amazing, next-gen HD graphics...

...Then when a game comes along that doesn't follow that rule, people complain about it not utilizing the power of PS3.

There is no pleasing some people.

Dizzy said:
So people complain that consoles like PS3 require everything to be high-budget and have amazing, next-gen HD graphics...

Personally I never complained that. It's more like the PS3 and XBox emphasize, rather than require, high-budget development and next-gen HD graphics. There's a difference.

d[-_-]b

Banned
Guys calm down this isn't pictures of the final build it could be a very early build, but its due out this winter or is it next winter.

Dizzy said:

...Then when a game comes along that doesn't follow that rule, people complain about it not utilizing the power of PS3.

There is no pleasing some people.
This way a mere fraction of the people who could've had access to it will, to no yet apparent advantage. There are some Wii games that could've as well been GameCube games (like SPM and Fire Emblem), but they at least had the viable excuse that many more people would actually play it as a Wii game. That doesn't make as much sense in the case of PS2/PS3.

I wouldn't pay over $40 for this game. Why are the sprites still so low res, I mean they're not even up to GG standards. They need Vanillaware to do the sprites work or something...

Having JUST completed Disgaea 2, i welcome this news with arms wide open, of course, visually it looks to be a PS2 game but this is a Disgaea game, this is about the gameplay dammit!

*tries to hang on to some life in this topic*

arias

Banned
Bebpo said:
I just threw in Soul Cradle into the search and found the media create for opening week:

05. (PS2, Nippon Ichi Software) Soul Cradle: Sekai wo Kurau Mono - 43,253 / NEW

And then it fell off the chart.

Then the year before:

3. PS2 Disgaea 2 - 104,059 NEW

And then it fell off the chart.

I read the statistics on the PDF.

Disgaea 1 - 295,000 JP 122,000 Overseas
Disgaea 2 - 160,000 JP 125,000 Overseas (up till currently July 3rd)

It does better digits than you think. The PS3 trolling on this thread is incredible.. some hitting on Disgaea for its graphics.. others stealth trolling like Speevy. In-****ing-credible.

i don't give a shit about its "bad, ps1-esque" graphics, i'm just happy it's being made. :D

Terrell said:
So wait... people still piss and moan about Wii's graphics being crap compared to 360 and PS3, but Disgaea 3 is announced for PS3, looking to have poorer 3D than many of the crappy licensed titles on Wii, and this game gets a free pass from Sony fans?

I call shenanigans.
cry more.

haowan

dfyb said:
wow lots of haters.

i could care less how it looks. not like the visuals were impressive even for a ps2 game.

i enjoy the sprites. not going to kill me if all my games aren't pushing the polygons.

Truth here --^

arias said:

It does better digits than you think. The PS3 trolling on this thread is incredible.. some hitting on Disgaea for its graphics.. others stealth trolling like Speevy. In-****ing-credible.

And it's ok for people to harsh on the Wii in general for that?

Replicant

SlaughterX said:
I wouldn't pay over $40 for this game. Why are the sprites still so low res, I mean they're not even up to GG standards. They need Vanillaware to do the sprites work or something...

Then save your money, play Mass Effect, stop bitching. Problem solved!

Why is there bitching?

1. It's not on Wii
2. It's not on 360
3. It's on PS3 *gasp* (The Horror!)

Happy that it's coming.
Sad I have to buy a PS3.

Oh look, it's working. Kaching!

Disgaea; helping win console wars one user at a time.
:lol

arias

Banned
cartman414 said:
And it's ok for people to harsh on the Wii in general for that?

So you want to bring in the Wii for no reason into a PS3 thread? :lol

There's plenty of double standards on all sides.

Thoren

Banned
Sorry but Graphics that bad are inexcusable. It looks like a high res PSP game. They could have at least used some super freaking high-res characters and some impressive backgrounds. The game looks worst than many DLC titles.

arias said:
So you want to bring in the Wii for no reason into a PS3 thread? :lol

There's plenty of double standards on all sides.

No reason you say? It's just an incredible contrast that can't be ignored. And while you are right about double standards on all sides, this is the one that is most relevant here.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
As much as I would have liked Disgaea to step up in the graphics department, N1 *did* warn us it might look like a PS2 game :) Though a nicer looking game might have attracted new people to the franchise.

And yeah, this one gets a free pass from the Disgaea fans, though I am a bit surprised they didn't go to the platform which at this moment is the most popular (Wii). Then I realized it would mean they'd have to learn to develop for a new platform and its different architecture. Can't ask *too* much from N1 really :)

Tempy said:
As much as I would have liked Disgaea to step up in the graphics department, N1 *did* warn us it might look like a PS2 game :) Though a nicer looking game might have attracted new people to the franchise.

And yeah, this one gets a free pass from the Disgaea fans, though I am a bit surprised they didn't go to the platform which at this moment is the most popular (Wii). Then I realized it would mean they'd have to learn to develop for a new platform and its different architecture. Can't ask *too* much from N1 really :)

Since when was Cell derived from the Emotion Engine?

Terrell

Tempy said:

Uhhhh... you do realise that PS3's architecture is entirely different from PS2, right? So it's the same exact problem.

EDIT: Beaten... though I was a tad more diplomatic. :/

Alcander

arias said:

You've got to be kidding me. If we can't knock a game that looks like this for its graphics, considering the system, what the f*** IS ok to to consider bad? I understand Disgea is all about the gameplay, yadda yadda, but this looks on par with ps1.

This thread only proves that brand loyalty is sickening, regardless if it's for Sony or Nippon Ichi. I have no problem with this game being on the PS3, but I have a problem with them charging $60+ for it. Remember what the increase in development costs was supposed to be for? I don't see this game taking advantage of the graphical power of the PS3, and I doubt the AI is really going to push the CELL either.

Hey guys, I love Chrono Trigger, it's my favorite game of all time, but if they released a sequel to it on the PS3 or the 360 and it still looked like an SNES game I'm not going to spend $60 for it, and you should be ashamed to give any company that charges so much for a game that obviously doesn't cost a fraction to develop compared to other games on the same platform the same amount of money.

For the record I own both Disgaea games and a PS3... :eek:

Anyway I hope NISA has enough sense not to charge full price for this game.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Terrell said:
Uhhhh... you do realise that PS3's architecture is entirely different from PS2, right? So it's the same exact problem.

I stand corrected, but what's the reason they went for PS3 instead of Wii?

Thoren

Banned
SlaughterX said:
This thread only proves that brand loyalty is sickening, regardless if it's for Sony or Nippon Ichi. I have no problem with this game being on the PS3, but I have a problem with them charging $60+ for it.

AGREED. There is NO WAY this game should cost $60, especially when 25-40 million dollar project games are priced the samel. It's just not reasonable.

arias

Banned
cartman414 said:
No reason you say? It's just an incredible contrast that can't be ignored. And while you are right about double standards on all sides, this is the one that is most relevant here.

? Not sure why this is most relevant, but NeoGAF is also really just a battlefield of massive personal agendas clashing back and forth.

Tempy said:

It's not about the architecture - it's the hardcore base. I reckon that the hardcore base who love playing the Disgaea series are the otaku-like ones who actually play hardcore games like the fighters; especially the 2D fighters like Guilty Gears. I think Nippon Icchi probably figured that this hardcore base would probably have PS3 as their mostly likely next console destination and decided to go there. Well, it's also a feedback cycle. Now that they've decided on the PS3, the hardcore will buy a PS3. As has been seen by several posts in this thread.

Thoren said:
AGREED. There is NO WAY this game should cost $60, especially when 25-40 million dollar project games are priced the samel. It's just not reasonable.

Hate to tell you this, but it's all about the bling bling. The hardcore are quite fanatical, and they'd probably get the game even it were abit more expensive. It's called an inelastic demand.. there's strong brand loyalty. Or at least N1 is banking on that.

Alcander

arias said:
I think Nippon Icchi probably figured that this hardcore base would probably have PS3 as their mostly likely next console destination and decided to go there. Well, it's also a feedback cycle. Now that they've decided on the PS3, the hardcore will buy a PS3. As has been seen by several posts in this thread.

Hate to tell you this, but it's all about the bling bling. The hardcore are quite fanatical, and they'd probably get the game even it were abit more expensive. It's called an inelastic demand.. there's strong brand loyalty. Or at least N1 is banking on that.

Yeah, so since its all about the 'bling bling', why wouldn't NI release the game for the Wii, where the potential to expand the userbase is greater, and the console is easier to afford for people who will buy the console just for the game?

Or better yet, why not release it on the ps2, with the potential to sell the most copies considering their die hards already own a ps2, and the userbase is so vast. Ya know, if its all about the bling bling.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Alcander said:
You've got to be kidding me. If we can't knock a game that looks like this for its graphics, considering the system, what the f*** IS ok to to consider bad? I understand Disgea is all about the gameplay, yadda yadda, but this looks on par with ps1.

Because Disgaea is all about the gameplay. Who cares what effects it has, all I ever see are the numbers.

arias said:
? Not sure why this is most relevant, but NeoGAF is also really just a battlefield of massive personal agendas clashing back and forth.

Personal agenda nothing. It's relevant because of the defenses raised against the lesser graphics, even though it's on the PS3. On the flip side, if it were on the Wii, people would likely be mocking it even more.

Terrell said:

Hmmm. Didn't mean to sound pernicious there if I did.

arias

Banned
Alcander said:

No, you obviously don't understand.

I would agree about having better graphics, but I've been a sprite artist and I reckon N1 hasn't actually grown in size, so creating larger sprites would be darn expensive. If they moved to a polygon-based graphical system then that would be a different case. Upscaling 2D animated graphical content and upscaling 3D graphical content is VERY different, especially for costs. Animating sprites is done manually, by the way. As in. We alter pixel by pixel.

Now, if the speech portraits and such don't receive a graphical boost in resolution; that'd be a massive travesty. Else, while you guys have legitimate qualms, the reason behind it is real. It's also part of the reason why 2D has been by and large abandoned.

Terrell

stressboy said:
Their fanbase is on Sony systems?
Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy didn't seem to be hurting when they made the platform jump. Nor did any other hardcore franchises that jumped off of one platform in favor of another. Once again, I think these fans would be all for getting this game at a reasonable price on a reasonably priced console... cuz we've all seen from Sony how relevant brand power is in purchasing decisions.

Terrell said:
Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy didn't seem to be hurting when they made the platform jump. Nor did any other hardcore franchises that jumped off of one platform in favor of another.

Yes because DQ and FF's fanbase is comparable to the type of fanbase that plays Disgaea.

d[-_-]b

Banned
arias said:

I would agree about having better graphics, but I've been a sprite artist and I reckon N1 hasn't actually grown in size, so creating larger sprites would be darn expensive. If they moved to a polygon-based graphical system then that would be a different case. Upscaling 2D animated graphical content and upscaling 3D graphical content is VERY different, especially for costs. Animating sprites is done manually, by the way. As in. We alter pixel by pixel.

Now, if the speech portraits and such don't receive a graphical boost in resolution; that'd be a massive travesty. Else, while you guys have legitimate qualms, the reason behind it is real. It's also part of the reason why 2D has been by and large abandoned.
So thats why it's on the PS3 to save costs, I understand.

why are there so many people complaining about its graphics? n1 are a small dev., so i wasn't expecting them to take full advantage of the psx3 hardware, and that's perfectly fine with me. i mean, it's disgaea 3, folks! c'mon..... just be glad it's coming! :D :D :D :D :D :D

edit: you guy's are a bunch of whiny tossers.

Reilly

This thread is making my head explode.

Look, if you think $60 is too much for Disgaea 3, then don't buy it.

Don't sit there and complain abot NISA being greedy because there are a ton of other publishers (all of them) doing the exact same thing.

arias

Banned
Alcander said:
Yeah, so since its all about the 'bling bling', why wouldn't NI release the game for the Wii, where the potential to expand the userbase is greater, and the console is easier to afford for people who will buy the console just for the game?

Or better yet, why not release it on the ps2, with the potential to sell the most copies considering their die hards already own a ps2, and the userbase is so vast. Ya know, if its all about the bling bling.

Who knows what carrots Sony has dangled infront of N1? They're not stupid.

And they probably want to be progressive. Releasing on past-gen systems while the market has been moving on to next-gen has some debilitating effects - it leaves the skill-level of your production team still stuck in last-gen while other companies have years of experience, it makes you look less prestigious, it attracts lesser talents etc. I'm not going to say more, you just need to think better about it. The Wii's larger userbase isn't the answer to everything.

Alcander

arias said:

I think you just agreed and disagreed with me at once. I don't understand, but I'm right about the graphics? That was all I was arguing :p

I'm no sprite artist, but I can't imagine it would be that much more expensive to create larger sprites for a better res. *shrug*

Thoren

Banned
arias said:

The PS3 does not have the super huge player base to support such a niche game at this point, and many own it partially or completely for the Blu-Ray player. The hardcore Disgaea userbase does not own PS3s. If anything, this game should have been on DS. It sure looks like it belongs there.

If they REALLY had to put it on the PS3, moneyhats, loyalty to sony, whatever, It would sell much better at a budget price.

No.1

"This winter" meaning this year, or next?

I thought the background graphics looked pretty good to be honest.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
stressboy said:
Their fanbase is on Sony systems?

Game franchise fanboys are very willing to jump ship. I see the established Disgaea fanbase going wherever needed. But more likely N1 isn't very interested in expanding that fanbase.

arias

Banned
d[-_-]b said:
So thats why it's on the PS3 to save costs, I understand.

You have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about, but it's cute : )

Thoren said:
The PS3 does not have the super huge player base to support such a niche game at this point, and many own it partially or completely for the Blu-Ray player. The hardcore Disgaea userbase does not own PS3s. If anything, this game should have been on DS. It sure looks like it belongs there.

If they REALLY had to put it on the PS3, moneyhats, loyalty to sony, whatever, It would sell much better at a budget price.

Harcore Disgaea userbase IN JAPAN do not own PS3s? You want to bet? Ok. That's useless because we won't ever know. My reckoning is that they do. And JP remains the larger market, and also the one without localization costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom