• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgea 3 announced for PS3, Looks like PS2 game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avalon

diablopanqueque said:
I don't see why anyone would care about the graphics of a Disgaea game.

They're sprites...deal with it.

Come on man... No one expected it to look like a next-gen game. But it just barely looks better then the PS2 incarnations (mainly due to have smooth the 3D texture look, not that they have any real detail to them or anything). At the very least, I was expecting Odin Sphere level sprite work.

Bebpo said:
It still looks like a PS1 game though? I don't see any difference in the sprites from Disgaea2.

That people pay good money for awesome srpgs with great gameplay and great stories (and great voice acting)?

Fine, PS1 game being played with PS3 upscaling and smoothing turned on. Still the games weren't that big on visuals, it had a charming look to them.

Branduil

I realize Sony has been good to NI in the past, but at some point you have to make decisions based on financial sanity and not loyalty.

On the plus side, as has been pointed out, it wouldn't be hard for them to port this to PSP/Wii if the PS3 version bombs.

Replicant

SolidSnakex said:
Alot of people who have no interest in the game but feel like bitching about the system its on.

True. Where's that "Good PS3 news?" gif again? oh here it is:

goodPS3news.gif

dfyb

Banned
TheRipDizz said:
I dunno about these visuals, but Shane better not rip on Eternal Sonata EVER again.
nobody has ever claimed "disgaea is the most beautiful game i've ever seen OMFG," like they have with eternal sonata.

If they're not even going to put in any sort of effort on making the game look slightly better than the last six or seven srpgs they put out on the PS2 they could at least knock 10-20$ off of the price.

Innotech

Banned
Im not a fan of RPGs like disgaea but Im still wondering why they sent this game to die?
I dont htink NIS can afford it to fail.

I like Disgaea as much as the next guy, but this is freaking inexcusable.

Blurry, crappy sprites that look like something the SNES could pull off have no business in a PS3 game.

PSP or PS2, fine. PSN downloadable? maybe.

full retail PS3 game? F*ck no.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I dont get this move, why not release this on PS2 I mean there's what? 20 million PS2s in japan compared to... 800k something PS3s.

Flo_Evans

SolidSnakex said:
Alot of people who have no interest in the game but feel like bitching about the system its on.

I'm interested in the game, have the system its on, and still think this is pretty ridiculous :lol

Bebpo

Banned
Innotech said:
Im not a fan of RPGs like disgaea but Im still wondering why they sent this game to die?
I dont htink NIS can afford it to fail.

N1 games only do around 80-120k in Japan anyhow. By 2008, I'm sure they can at least sell that little, especially since there won't be much rpg/srpg competition on the PS3.

Plus these games cost like nothing to make. They could sell 20k and still make a profit.

Speevy

Banned
BamYouHaveAids said:
Are you the same Speevy that has been hyping Culdept Saga since it's announcement?

That's not gonna sell either, but I sure as heck want it.

My only personal issue here is that it's not on the PS2, because I actually LIKE Disgaea.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Killdozer said:
...and Disgea 1 and 2 looked like they belonged on the PSOne....so I don't see your point.

Go home.

i don`t wanna pay that much money just vor disgaea 3 which could be easily done on ps2.... why they don`t release ist for ps2 ? ps3 owners could still play it ...at least with the 60gb units which are left :D

Innotech

Banned
Bebpo said:
N1 games only do around 80-120k in Japan anyhow. By 2008, I'm sure they can at least sell that little, especially since there won't be much rpg/srpg competition on the PS3.

I hope youre right.
not sure why this couldnt be done on Wii or even Ps2 since the expected numbers are so low. It just doesnt make much sense. If it was a PSN game sure, but Ps3?

dfyb said:
nobody has ever claimed "disgaea is the most beautiful game i've ever seen OMFG," like they have with eternal sonata.
Eh. It is a beautiful game though. Those Dreamcast remarks were kinda getting out of hand regardless and it's not even a major title per se. What does he have to say about this? It better not be much both ways is all I'm saying.

Bebpo

Banned
WalkMan said:
If I recall, they were working on a PSP title but decided to port it over to the PS3. Could this be it?

Yeah, this is most likely what "makai wars" became.

Error said:
I dont get this move, why not release this on PS2 I mean there's what? 20 million PS2s in japan compared to... 800k something PS3s.

Why do new N1 games sell less with 20 million PS2s sold then they did when D1 came out and only 10 million PS2s were out. Shouldn't there have been a 2x increase? ;P

When you're only selling to a tiny niche group of people, the install bases don't really matter.

ethelred

Error said:

Yeah. I think this would be a stupid game to put on the Wii, but it's pretty weird to see it on the PS3, too.

Bebpo said:
N1 games only do around 80-120k in Japan anyhow.

That's not what it says in the press release.

Kusagari

Meh, I didn't expect much more improvement than that. I just hope it costs $50 or less here. I'm sick of every game even the niche titles taking the $60 price-tag.

With the power of Cell, the stats in this game can now reach numbers so uselessly big that modern science has yet to discover them.

Aaron

BamYouHaveAids said:
Are you the same Speevy that has been hyping Culdept Saga since it's announcement?
Culdcept looks much, much better than this. I'm really disappointed because N1's sprites have real personality, but I'm just plain sick of the low resolution at this point. Others have done better on the PS2. There's no more room for excuses.

Bebpo

Banned
ethelred said:
That's not what it says in the press release.

I just threw in Soul Cradle into the search and found the media create for opening week:

05. (PS2, Nippon Ichi Software) Soul Cradle: Sekai wo Kurau Mono - 43,253 / NEW

And then it fell off the chart.

Then the year before:

3. PS2 Disgaea 2 - 104,059 NEW

Borys

Banned
Speevy said:
$60 niche game that doesn't utilize its hardware on the less popular of two Japanese consoles.

Genius!

Wait, first you hype and pretty much viral that 2D 360 japanese SRPG . It's A-OK with you.

Then comes a 2D japanese SRPG PS3 offering and you do your typical veiled trolling.

How obvious and not unexpected.

ethelred

Bebpo said:
I just threw in Soul Cradle into the search and found the media create for opening week:

05. (PS2, Nippon Ichi Software) Soul Cradle: Sekai wo Kurau Mono - 43,253 / NEW

Sure, but Soul Cradle isn't a Disgaea game.

Bebpo said:
Then the year before:

3. PS2 Disgaea 2 - 104,059 NEW

Again, it has the numbers for Disgaea 1/2 right in the PR.

But if you don't want to go by that, Famitsu's 2006 half year chart had Disgaea 2 at 149,148.

diablopanqueque said:
I don't see why anyone would care about the graphics of a Disgaea game.

They're sprites...deal with it.

Because it's the only real reason at this point why it would go to the PS3 instead of one of the more viable systems.

Aeon712

So wait, just because it's 2D it isn't worth full price and should be a PSN game? Gaf makes me :lol so much.

Speevy

Banned
Borys said:
Wait, first you hype and pretty much viral that 2D 360 japanese SRPG . It's A-OK with you.

Then comes a 2D japanese SRPG PS3 offering and you do your typical veiled trolling.

How obvious and not unexpected.

1) I'm not saying it's going to be a bad game. I'm just saying "Why PS3?"

For the record, Culdcept Saga is a 3D game, and would be better suited on another platform too.

But since it's on the 360, I'll play it there.

2) Stop following me around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom