• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgea 3 announced for PS3, Looks like PS2 game

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfyb

Banned
NichM said:
Ouch. I feel for NIS America, who's going to have their work cut out for them getting this past SCEA.
this is my only worry.

*prays they take this into account and include english subtitles (even shitty ones, i don't care) on jp/asia disc*

Aaron said:
Culdcept looks much, much better than this. I'm really disappointed because N1's sprites have real personality, but I'm just plain sick of the low resolution at this point. Others have done better on the PS2. There's no more room for excuses.
I don't classify things in degrees of shittyness. Something either looks like shit, looks good, or looks great. I'm not going to say this looks like baby green shit while Culdept looks like solid brown shit. They both look terrible, how they play is anyone's guess, but it's obvious they are both half-assed last gen ports.

ethelred

Bebpo said:
Is Disgaea2?

Yes?

「魔界戦記ディスガイア2」も国内出荷累計約16万本、海外出荷累計12.5万本(2007年7月3日現在)

Half year 06 sell through at 149,148.

VegaShinra

Yay for more Disaea goodness. Who cares about the graphics? What is one graphically impressive NIS game? They love the old-school style but always have awesome gameplay,which matters most. Disgaea PSP this Fall then eventually next yr Disgaea 3. :D

dfyb

Banned
props to n1 for being able to retain simplistic sprites and still come off with a more asthetically pleasing game than culdept, which seems to use 3D for the sake of using 3D.

Speevy

Banned
dfyb said:
props to n1 for being able to retain simplistic sprites and still come off with a more asthetically pleasing game than culdept, which seems to use 3D for the sake of using 3D.

:lol :lol :lol

Speaking of doing things just for the sake of doing them....

LEAVE ME ALONE

Defuser

Kintaro said:
Nice, 3 pages. Grow, grow!
250px-Rita4-14a.jpg

Phthisis

Scrubking said:
So after the massive support they promised the Wii this is what happens? Talk about slap in the face.

When did they say this? I interviewed Sohei Niikawa back in March and he told me:

We think that until the end of 2007, PS2 games will still sell, but starting in 2008, we think of going on to the next generation. [We're already in development] on the [PS3].

I must have missed the Wii promise.

EDIT- Source

Phthisis said:
We think that until the end of 2007, PS2 games will still sell, but starting in 2008, we think of going on to the next generation. [We're already in [PS2 port overdrive]] on the [PS3]. .
Fixed.

ethelred

Scrubking said:
So after the massive support they promised the Wii this is what happens? Talk about slap in the face.

They never promised any massive support for the Wii. And frankly, releasing this game on the Wii right now would be even more foolish than putting it on the PS3.

Actually, for everyone that's suddenly super-concerned about N1's bottom line profits, they'll probably make out pretty damn well on this (in Japan anyway; who knows about NA). They get to make a game at DC-level visuals, charge more money for it, and they'll probably only take a slight hit in sales -- but if you look at the drop in sales between Disgaea 1 and Disgaea 2, a lot of that could be attributed to franchise decline anyway.

kassatsu

Banned
ethelred said:
「魔界戦記ディスガイア2」も国内出荷累計約16万本、海外出荷累計12.5万本(2007年7月3日現在)

160,000 Japan and 125,000 Overseas as of July 3.

Crow-kun

Banned
One things for sure they weren't kidding when they said don't be surprised when their PS3 games look like PS2 games. :lol

It's unfortunate that the graphics aren't more improved, but the ground textures at least are a definite step up. And if this really does support HD, then the sprites may look the same in captures but would actually be made much larger and smoother. And maybe the animation will have more frames?

Okay, I'm grasping at straws. As much as I liked the first Disgaea, I'm not interested in this at full price. If they don't bother with more than token upgrades to the appearance, they'll probably barely enhance the gameplay either.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
it may look like a ps1 game, but disgaea 3 is using the power of cell to simulate the mental processes of an underpaid pixel artist -- their ai routine procedurally imagines, designs, and draws each of those low-res animation frames. it's actually quite a technical achievement.

ethelred said:
They never promised any massive support for the Wii. And frankly, releasing this game on the Wii right now would be even more foolish than putting it on the PS3.

Actually, for everyone that's suddenly super-concerned about N1's bottom line profits, they'll probably make out pretty damn well on this (in Japan anyway; who knows about NA). They get to make a game at DC-level visuals, charge more money for it, and they'll probably only take a slight hit in sales -- but if you look at the drop in sales between Disgaea 1 and Disgaea 2, a lot of that could be attributed to franchise decline anyway.

So what would be keeping them from being able to make a game at "DC level visuals" for the PS2 or the Wii?

Terrell

So wait... people still piss and moan about Wii's graphics being crap compared to 360 and PS3, but Disgaea 3 is announced for PS3, looking to have poorer 3D than many of the crappy licensed titles on Wii, and this game gets a free pass from Sony fans?

I call shenanigans.

spoon!

Darji said:
Disgea is a fantastic series and it was never a graphical bomb. Try to play it first bevor you bash it^^

I don't think anyone is bashing the game itself. More like wondering why, given how it looks 1) it isn't a ps2 title 2) it isn't a psp title 3) it isn't psn title 4) it isn't a budget ps3 title. Also, the game is called Disgaea.

drohne

you know what, scej obviously has no standards for ps3 games right now -- every famitsu brings a new loli rape sim or HIDEOS srpg. arika should give that ps3 ketsui port another try...if they're still interested :/

Dahbomb

Holy shit... :lol

Well since its PS2 level graphics I don't expect it to bomb that terribly... budget shouldn't be that high to begin with.

Terrell said:
So wait... people still piss and moan about Wii's graphics being crap compared to 360 and PS3, but Disgaea 3 is announced for PS3, looking to have poorer 3D than many of the crappy licensed titles on Wii, and this game gets a free pass from Sony fans?

I call shenanigans.

You sir win this thread.

ethelred

cartman414 said:
So what would be keeping them from being able to make a game at "DC level visuals" for the PS2 or the Wii?

They could've made this for Wii, but there's zero reason to think their fanbase of hardcore niche RPG fans is on that platform. I'm sure they were rightfully skeptical it'd sell there. Also, again, now they get to charge more money... because it's next-gen!

Defuser

drohne said:
you know what, scej obviously has no standards for ps3 games right now -- every famitsu brings a new loli rape sim or HIDEOS srpg.
SCEJ is always like that since the beginning of the Playstation Era which is what I like about SCEJ,If they have to follow SCEA standards,companies like SNK and Nippon Ichi would have been gone long time ago.

rakka

drohne said:
you know what, scej obviously has no standards for ps3 games right now -- every famitsu brings a new loli rape sim or HIDEOS srpg. arika should give that ps3 ketsui port another try...if they're still interested :/

Kojima pumping out srpgs now is he

Darji

Banned
spoon! said:
I don't think anyone is bashing the game itself. More like wondering why, given how it looks 1) it isn't a ps2 title 2) it isn't a psp title 3) it isn't psn title 4) it isn't a budget ps3 title. Also, the game is called Disgaea.
Sorry Disgaea^^

I think they are just trying to push the system for future projects. i honestly belive that you cant realease such a core game on the Wii^^

kuYuri

They should have just said those screenshots were from Disgaea 1.

That reminds me, I still need to start Disgaea. =/

drohne

Defuser said:
SCEJ is always like that since the beginning of the Playstation Era which is what I like about SCEJ,If they have to follow SCEA standards,companies like SNK and Nippon Ichi would have been gone long time ago.

scej have traditionally been lenient -- hello, simple 2000 -- but arika's ceo mihara wrote on his blog that sce responded discouragingly to his proposal of a ketsui port on ps3. this was some time ago...their market struggles have probably softened their stance, but they may have alienated mihara, and ps3 ketsui may not even make financial sense.

the chris

Glad I read this before I went to sleep, don't care if it looks like a PS1/PS2 game the fact that it's Disgaea is good enough for me.

Terrell

Dahbomb said:
Holy shit... :lol

Well since its PS2 level graphics I don't expect it to bomb that terribly... budget shouldn't be that high to begin with.
OK, the first 2 sold approximately 1500-175K each. Disgaea 2 was released near the end of the last generation. To re-iterate, it sold 175,000 on a console with a userbase in the 15-20 million range. And they're putting it on a console at 6800 yen that will be lucky to have a 2 million userbase by the time it's released.

But yeah, it's not gonna bomb. Look how well Resident Evil 4 did on GameCube!! :lol

Seriously, though, one can only assume they plan to reuse the assets, because if this game stays on PS3, they aren't even going to break even on the development, from the looks of things. And yeah, sales are important... more sales = more games being made by that company.

ethelred said:
They could've made this for Wii, but there's zero reason to think their fanbase of hardcore niche RPG fans is on that platform. I'm sure they were rightfully skeptical it'd sell there. Also, again, now they get to charge more money... because it's next-gen!
How is there any reason to think that these niche RPG gamers are getting a PS3, though, when the PS3 lineup reflects nothing catering to that fanbase either at a much higher sticker price?

Terrell said:
OK, the first 2 sold approximately 1500-175K each. Disgaea 2 was released near the end of the last generation. To re-iterate, it sold 175,000 on a console with a userbase in the 15-20 million range. And they're putting it on a console at 6800 yen that will be lucky to have a 2 million userbase by the time it's released.

But yeah, it's not gonna bomb. Look how well Resident Evil 4 did on GameCube!! :lol

You can't just use ratios on hardware sales to software sales of predecessors like that.

Disgaea is a niche game aimed at a hardcore subset - the gamers it appeals to are the gamers most likely to own multiple consoles anyway.

There probably will be a drop in units moved when all's said and done, but it's hardly goign to be as drastic as you paint it out to be here.

Terrell said:

I call shenanigans.

Maybe there's some of that, but I think it's mostly just getting a free pass from big Disgaea fans. It's otherwise pretty unanimous that this is, at best, an overpriced/misplaced game.

Darji

Banned
dont know if this is true because i cant speak japanese....
This pdf says that these pics are from the psp version which they have cancelled, and they have moved to the ps3 format

can someone confirm this?

Terrell

Pureauthor said:
You can't just use ratios on hardware sales to software sales of predecessors like that.

Disgaea is a niche game aimed at a hardcore subset - the gamers it appeals to are the gamers most likely to own multiple consoles anyway.

There probably will be a drop in units moved when all's said and done, but it's hardly goign to be as drastic as you paint it out to be here.
Sure I can... PS2 and PS3 are selling to the exact same demographic, it just has less people now... it's not like every Disgaea fan already bought a PS3. If anything, I'd like to think a Disgaea fan wouldn't be paying that kind of money for a PS3 since it's obvious that graphics don't influence their playing habits and can get behind the current market leader and expect their graphically-malnourished niche titles to come to them there.

Darji said:

I know enough Japanese to know it only mentions the images are from a work in progress and may vary in the final product. No PSP mention.

d[-_-]b

Banned
Darji said:

It actually says
google trans said:
<Picture photograph>
62rq71e.jpg

63m4nz9.jpg

* The picture is something which is in the midst of developing. The actually product there are times when it differs.
< Commodity summary >
commodity title: Demon boundary game description Disgaea 3
genre: Simulation RPG
corresponding type: PlayStation®3 sale
due date: This winter schedule
desired retail price: 6,800 Yen (including tax 7,140 Yen) schedule
CERO age division: Examination schedule
production sale: Corporation Japanese one aka Nippon Ichi
software right inscription: ©2008 NIPPON ICHI SOFTWARE INC.

Olaeh

I thought for sure this would be for PS2/Wii (or DS), especially after the announcement of Wii support. I wonder what made them decide PS3- can't be moneyhats can it?:lol Perhaps they think it will sell to a userbase lacking this type of game? But then again only SRPG I can think of for Wii is Fire Emblem. Who knows maybe they just like Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom