• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgea 3 announced for PS3, Looks like PS2 game

Status
Not open for further replies.
haowan said:
I wonder how it would look if they went with nearest neighbour on the current resolution sprites instead of filtering them.

I actually have to agree I do think it would look much better if the sprites are scaled up sans-filters. But we will just have to wait and see.

ex0du5

Banned
monkeylite said:
I actually have to agree I do think it would look much better if the sprites are scaled up sans-filters. But we will just have to wait and see.

They should have an option to turn filtering on and off....and include a 2x sai filter

And guys don't forget...this could be using assets from a PS2 or PSP game currently...we don't know if the final product will look like this. Either way, it's a day 1 purchase to me.

jarrod

Banned
ex0du5 said:
Listen, with the ultra uncompetitive JRPG market on the PS3, this game will sell decently well. Think, if PS3 owners only have 2-3 JRPGs to buy, theres a good chance they might pick this up. If they go on the PS2, they're competing with several hundred JRPGs already released on the console.

It's a risk, but I don't think it's without it's merits. If they successfully pull it off, they will establish themselves to many who don't know about them as great JRPG makers...which could potentially prove benefitial in the end.
I don't think there's much risk honestly, this sort of directed hardcore game will see it's fanbase following it to PS3 regardless. Userbase concerns really tend to hurt the more mainstream brands like Musou, Mario or Metal Gear.

Kittonwy

Banned
ex0du5 said:
Listen, with the ultra uncompetitive JRPG market on the PS3, this game will sell decently well. Think, if PS3 owners only have 2-3 JRPGs to buy, theres a good chance they might pick this up. If they go on the PS2, they're competing with several hundred JRPGs already released on the console.

It's a risk, but I don't think it's without it's merits. If they successfully pull it off, they will establish themselves to many who don't know about them as great JRPG makers...which could potentially prove benefitial in the end.

Yep yep I agree. ~_~

Durante

drohne said:
i can't believe i'm saying this, but i'd rather n1 ran the sprites through a 2xsai filter or something
I agree with this. Specifically, I wonder how it would look if they ran them through HQ3x. It can deliver some very impressive results for this type of graphics.

Also, anyone doubting the prohibitive effort involved in drawing true HD sprites for all characters, monsters, directions and animations in an average N1 sRPG, please go here and realize that is only a very small selection of everything in the game.

Link316

Banned
cartman414 said:
It would have been smarter to at least wait until the PS3 userbase grew just a bit more. 1 million right now is small.

the only way the userbase is going to grow is by 3rd parties like NIS providing support for it

Wow, this is pretty surprising. The series has never been a graphical powerhouse, but why release it on PS3 at all? Why not stick with PS2? I can't imagine their sales are going to be very good with PS3s install base...

I like the Disgaea series, but dear lord, I'm not going to buy a $500 gaming machine to play THAT!

発売予定日 :今冬発売予定: That would indicate it's supposed to be out this winter, as in this year, which seems very fast, considering they are just announcing it now.

I really wonder if there is some kind of deal going on here with Sony, but then again, maybe the niche demographic that plays this game in Japan already has PS3 for the most part. I suppose N1 has market data, I certainly don't.

kay

BolognaOni said:
Wow, this is pretty surprising. The series has never been a graphical powerhouse, but why release it on PS3 at all? Why not stick with PS2? I can't imagine their sales are going to be very good with PS3s install base...

I like the Disgaea series, but dear lord, I'm not going to buy a $500 gaming machine to play THAT!
Might as well just release it on PS1 huh? Or even better, make it Windows 95 compatible, big sales!

davepoobond said:
maybe they want to use something that the ps3 has that the ps2 doesn't :p
That's impossible as we all know the PS3 is just two PS2s duct taped together.

Durante

I wondered how HQ3x'ing them would look, so I did a small test on a few of the Disgaea 2 sprites (Yukimaru and Laharl).

Left to right: Original (Nearest Neighbor point sampling) -- Bilinear -- HQ3x
d2spritescomp.jpg

Note that these are scaled even slightly larger than would be required for 720p, but a bit of downscaling when displaying never hurts.

IMHO, HQ3x does a really awesome job with some of the parts, but the few cases where it guesses incorrectly somewhat ruin the result.

Link316

Banned
Durante said:
I wondered how HQ3x'ing them would look, so I did a small test on a few of the Disgaea 2 sprites (Yukimaru and Laharl).

Left to right: Original (Nearest Neighbor point sampling) -- Bilinear -- HQ3x
d2spritescomp.jpg

Note that these are scaled even slightly larger than would be required for 720p, but a bit of downscaling when displaying never hurts.

IMHO, HQ3x does a really awesome job with some of the parts, but the few cases where it guesses incorrectly somewhat ruin the result.

looks really good with HQ3X scaling

ex0du5 said:

I do agree (which I guess might be obvious from my having already made this argument in the thread). But in addition to the lack of competition I think the newness of the platform helps. Unless Nippon Ichi intend to produce for Wii exclusively, they'll have to transition to PS3 development at some point. Why not do it when there are fewer expectations?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
kay said:
Might as well just release it on PS1 huh? Or even better, make it Windows 95 compatible, big sales!

That's impossible as we all know the PS3 is just two PS2s duct taped together.

actually the PS3 eats one PS2 before it gets off the assembly line.

Avellon

Here are a few quick translations from the scans.

http://community.livejournal.com/cyberdance/6674.html

Translation of a few parts of the articles :

- Mao was designed with "mad scientist" look in mind.
- Raspberyl is Mao's rival to be best student. She wants to surpass him no matter what. (...Yet her title is...)
- Almaz is a HERO OTAKU hahaha. He sounds really timid in the screenshots, or perhaps not very confident. This goes with "Lame Hero" that's written next to him in one of the scans. Also, he might have something to do with the white haired lady ontop, because there's reference to a "princess he wants to protect" in his description.

- Eringa, Merchant girls *(PB), Chefs* (MK), and Saber Kitties (PB) are back.

*Unsure of what their class titles are in this game.

- Combos are diagonal now.
- Succubus are back (they REALLY look like Prier D: )
- Mao's father is an Overlord, and he's his only child.
- Almaz is a "self proclaimed Hero". Hahaha. ( 自称勇者 )
- Mao considers Almaz his "target" ...uh? (Could be the other way around. Almaz considers Mao his target)
- Almaz uses rather polite Japanese.
- Apparently Mao and Almaz are rivals by nature.
- Mao's title is Netherworld's Honor Student
- Mao's glasses show he's a youngster. Can't forget correcting your vision in your youth! I guess?
- Raspberyl's title is "Netherworld Delinquint"
- Almaz's title is "Hero"
- Mao's title is "Netherworld's Honor Student"

zoku88

Somnid said:
Don't bump old threads with new news, make another one.
Forum etiquette said:
Bumping Etiquette:

Do's:
- Bump a thread made in the past month with new information
- If you have to ask, just make a new thread.
- If you have something to add to the conversation. (No, LOL doesn't count.)
Come again? I think it's close enough to a month to count.

zoku88

akachan ningen said:
So, the official site says 9-21, is that the Japan release date?
According to the link, that's the date the the official site will actually go live (as in, have actual content.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom