• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 Game Informer Details

Shredderi

Id Tech 5? Yikes. I hope it doesn't detract from game too much visually. And yeah, HD space hog incoming most likely. Technical worries aside it sounds everything I wanted it to be.

Johndoey

Banned
They're trying to make the ending and morality systems less bad this time.
Thank god.

After the events of the first game, Corvo was concerned that at some point, people would attempt to assassinate Emily. As such, he spent said 15 years training her how to be a magical assassin like him whenever she wasn't too busy being Empress.
Makes sense.

Some of the missions have neutral areas where you can go around and talk to the various citizens to get a feel for the city and hints toward your mission.
Down for non-violent more interaction with the world.

The Domino power sounds dope.

Cels

the first game was not great on a visual level. i feel it was barely salvaged by good art direction. i don't expect a graphical showcase or anything from the sequel but i hope it looks passable. not liking the idtech5 roots.

BiggNife

Sorry, but that's just dumb. If you keep getting caught and kill everyone, there will be consequences. That's the whole point of the game. You don't want to create chaos by killing guards and wrecking havoc? Be more careful.

Now sure they didn't necessarily handle the choices-and-consequences aspect in the best way, but whining about negative consequences of your murder spree is just lol. I played High Chaos both in the main game and DLC and while I thought Emily turning a bit sociopathic due to my actions was kind of exaggerated, I still embraced the consequences.

Well, okay

I don't agree with you and I don't really appreciate your tone but whatever I can tell this conversation is not going to go anywhere

Part of the appeal of Dishonored is that you can play however you want. If you want to play messy, you can play messy. There are plenty of other games that encourage different styles of play and don't punish you for playing a certain way. I don't think I should get a penalty for playing however I find the most fun. That's all I'm saying. And if you disagree, fine, but you could be a bit less shitty about it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
the first game was not great on a visual level. i feel it was barely salvaged by good art direction. i don't expect a graphical showcase or anything from the sequel but i hope it looks passable.

It looks fine in general. I don't think anyone would mistake it for an HD remaster or such. It's just... not especially divergent from what you would imagine PS4/XB1-tier Dishonored looking like.

Corto

Dishonored art direction was stellar. Right on par with Bioshock Infinite in terms of AAA games for me last gen. As it was so distinctive I was already expecting they would keep that for this sequel, but having a confirmation made my day.

Shredderi

It looks fine in general. I don't think anyone would mistake it for an HD remaster or such. It's just... not especially divergent from what you would imagine PS4/XB1-tier Dishonored looking like.

Wasn't really bothered by the not-so-great visuals of the first since it more than made up for it in atmosphere and art design, but they've been making this game for a long time so I was hopeful that they would have made big strides in terms of visual fidelity. Propably could do better with UE4 but they propably use their Id Tech to avoid licensing fees.

The first part of the article goes on about how when they were thinking about Dishonored 2, they kept coming back to wanting to make Emily playable and exploring who she would be later in life.

I suspect they were really nervous about how people would react given it sounds like they had a lot of meetings on that topic.
Very interesting. Glad they went ahead with it.

. Play as Emily on her quest to reclaim her throne

. After the events of the first game, Corvo was concerned that at some point, people would attempt to assassinate Emily. As such, he spent said 15 years training her how to be a magical assassin like him whenever she wasn't too busy being Empress.

. The guards are a lot smarter this time and can also do things like vault around and scale objects to chase you.

. Emily has a new set of powers. Far Reach is this giant hand grappling hook thing that pulls you around. It's like blink, except you actually physically move across spaces, so guards can notice you. Far Reach can also be used as a weapon by swinging around environment objects. The game is a lot more vertical so these movement abilities are especially important.

Not that I wasn't already, but I am IN. That all sounds great.

omonimo

Banned
It's not the same engine.
But based on beta, Doom is really not a looker. LQ textures, bad, blurry AA and IQ is just not good. But it's beta they can still improve it. But imo. it looks just ok.
AA should be one of the best used. The blurry maybe it's caused to the dynamic res I guess.

Soodanim

I didn't finish Dishonoured until a few months ago, so I'm fairly fresh. It was one of those games I don't see that often any more that I end up playing multiple times because I want to experience it every way possible. I imagine I'll do the same here, and there seems to be at least 4 playthroughs worth doing.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
  • You can puts guards into beds to avoid suspicion.
  • Some of the missions have neutral areas where you can go around and talk to the various citizens to get a feel for the city and hints toward your mission.
Love it. This game is going to be phenomenal. Everything sounds great.

Biggest disappointment is that the clockwork soldiers from the reveal trailer seem to have been downgraded from this freaky thing

latest

to a much less interesting design. Hopefully those creepy-faced things still exist in the game in some form.

Looking forward to the voice acting in the game. I thought Dishonored had some great characters brought to life by some top talent (Susan Sarandon, Lena Headey, Michael Madsen, John Slattery, Chloë Grace Moretz... hell even Carrie Fisher is listed as "Alternative Street Speaker" lol)

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
One thing I really appreciated about Dishonored was how modular you could make it in regards to the UI, and how easily you could challenge yourself if you wanted. I never played with the Batman vision and had very minimal UI elements(dot for cursor, no guard icons/warnings, etc) and I hope that makes a return.

Oh God. Why? There is UE4 afterall. That shit engine needs to dead.

I liked what they did with their engine in Dishonored, looked great and ran 60fps with no problems. I hope D2 is no different.

Still shook about them actually getting the OG voice actor for Garrett for Corvo when the damn Thief reboot couldnt be bothered

Savitar

Loved the first one! The fact the two are connected and you get to pick characters is very nice, especially with the differences between them. I like that.

Looking forward to the voice acting in the game. I thought Dishonored had some great characters brought to life by some top talent (Susan Sarandon, Lena Headey, Michael Madsen, John Slattery, Chloë Grace Moretz... hell even Carrie Fisher is listed as "Alternative Street Speaker" lol)

I hope the Heart makes a return, that eerie commentary as you explored the world was an amazing companion to the atmosphere.

Samaritan

As weird as this sounds, it's a shame to hear the clockwork soldiers aren't porcelain anymore. The porcelain design looked fantastic; was looking forward to seeing them fall apart. :(

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Everything sounds great, here.

My only concern/hope at this point is that each of Corvo and Emily's story at least addresses what happens/what the other protagonist would theoretically be doing.

Unless the other dies during the beginning of each character's story, it would feel weird to have them totally get ignored in the other's play through, considering their interests so strongly align.

Emily's abilities sound pretty nuts, and seem like they'll differentiate her from Corvo pretty distinctly.

Ophelion

I'm interested to see what Corvo's personality is like. So far, he's been the Gordon Freeman of this setting. I've spent nearly 80 hours in his boots and I have no idea who he is as a person outside of the broadest of vague facts.

It's going to take some getting used to.

Which is fine because I'll probably play as Emily first anyway.

Here's hoping level design takes a page from the stuff they did in the DLC. Daud's levels were my favorite levels in Dishonored. Especially that last one. That level is Thief as fuck. It's more Thief than some levels found in Thief.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Everything I'm reading and hearing about this game sounds fantastic. Stephen Russell being a part of it makes me giddy. :D

Dryk

Split protagonists is the only thing I'm wary of, but it sounds like Emily's going to be the focus (as she should be) so it could be worse.

Top Bottom