• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 Game Informer Details

AJ_Wings

I wonder if your character is always silent, and you only hear Corvo speak in Emily's route, and vice versa. That would be kinda cool.

I think they're going to handle it like in Dishonored's DLC where Daud was fully voiced during conversations and his own internal monologues. Thank god they're moving away from the silent protagonist style because oh boy did they fuck it up in the first game and I usually don't mind silent protagonists types in some games.

Red Hood

Banned
A mod will edit them out if necessary, but it'd be better to be proactive and do it yourself.

Awesome, thanks. I've edited the screens out, but I did leave the link where I found the article. Not sure if that's okay, but I can edit that as well if it's not.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Awesome, thanks. I've edited the screens out, but I did leave the link where I found the article. Not sure if that's okay, but I can edit that as well if it's not.

Linking to scans, directly or indirectly, is also forbidden.

I think they're going to handle it like in Dishonored's DLC where Daud was fully voiced during conversations and his own internal monologues. Thank god they're moving away from the silent protagonist style because oh boy did they fuck it up in the first game and I usually don't mind silent protagonists types in some games.

I would personally prefer a silent protagonist. I also hoped the game would continue to be much more about the setting than your character's personal motivations, but it looks like Corvo and Emily will be the main drivers of the plot. I guess silent protagonist wouldn't work with that very well. I don't know how much i should expect to remain the same as Dishonored though, so much of it stood on its themes and aesthetics that already seem to be a thing of the past.

Otherwise i don't think they fucked it up in Dishonored. I thought it was handled quite nicely, drawing focus away from your character and onto the world and its workings.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Lol I can't seem to be doing anything right then, I've deleted the Reddit link.

The important thing is that you now know and acted accordingly. You won't cop a ban for making an honest mistake (ViewtifulJC is just being facetious).

FartOfWar

Banned
Is this clarified in the article or elsewhere?

Edit:

Doom PC doesn't have a framerate cap and id Tech 6 is itself a modified id Tech 5, so I'd say there's a good chance Arkane has made/will make the same change.

Very significant alterations made to engine.

One thing I'm not seeing here. Are the levels seamless a-la Deus Ex OG/Thief? Or are they split into areas with loading times in between. I really hope that this generation cut that clearly obvious limitation from last gen.

One thing I'm not seeing here. Are the levels seamless a-la Deus Ex OG/Thief? Or are they split into areas with loading times in between. I really hope that this generation cut that clearly obvious limitation from last gen.

You'd hope so, but Fallout 4 had a ton of loading screens, so it's a crap-shoot as far as current-gen games are concerned. I hope not, but on SSD's the load times of Dishonored 1 were literally 2-3 seconds, so it's not the end of the world I guess if they do have load screens as long as they are short.

I'm pretty sure we're going to be stuck in the Deadly Shadows realm of generally small or half split levels for a long time, not just because of technical limitations but mostly because it's been shown to work for the most part.

Aikidoka

All of this sounds incredible! And maybe corvo will be an actual character in this game? Though I remember something at E3 that the devs really put most of their time in Emily's story and she is the de facto protagonist.
Hope killing everyone is harder than the first game. How do the budgets for this game and the first compare?

Mr. Tibbs

In their latest podcast, Game Informer talks about their trip to Arkane Lyon. One of the writers says that as much as 75% of the id tech 5 engine has been retwritten. Another says that the new setting is not as visually impressive or as striking as Dunwall, while noting that they've only seen a small slice of the game. Harvey Smith's heading up the project (no mention of Raf), he's chosen to flesh out the Outsider's character (he thinks most players misinterpreted his role in the first game).

They kind of awkwardly side-step Arkane Austin's involvement, which seems to suggest we'll be seeing at least a Blur trailer for their Prey reboot at E3. They mention that despite Viktor Antonov being the visual design director for all of the Zenimax studios, the art direction is still stunning. The mesmerize and domino powers sound really cool! Arkane considers the most interesting choices from Dishonored 1 to be the non-lethal options, so Daud surviving is now canon.

Lotto

i love dishonored and i'm ecstatic about this game. really liking what i'm reading from the details, cannot wait. waiting for the game to come out but i'm hoping they utilize the other islands as well apart from just lore. more world building is always good though.

hydruxo

New article: An Exclusive Look At Dishonored 2's Breathtaking Concept Art

concept-610.jpg

7077.clay_5F00_02_5F00_web.jpg

Jb

Great art, as expected. One area where I hope they'll improve is facial animations. Their art style worked great for the environments but the characters never really managed to convey emotions.

Mr. Tibbs

Viktor Antonov is not working on Dishonored 2. "He's not on Dishonored 2. So Viktor is the visual designer and creative director for Zenimax. We're friends and we've worked together for a long time on other projects, on The Crossing for example, and for other hidden, some of other project... For Dishonored 2, he was not available. He had his personal projects."

Did anyone know that Arkane spent three years in pre-production for Dishonored 1?

And believe in it Bethesda would have to, as a core team of Viktor Antonov, Sebastien Mitton, Harvey Smith and Raphael Colantonio sunk into pre-production for an unprecedented three years.

"That's an unusual situation," noted Antonov, "but it's thanks to Sebastien and my efforts to really bring something exceptional to the fiction of the game.

Top Bottom