• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

chrixter

Laggard double post:

I just died in my Ironman No-powers playthrough.

I was only an hour in. It's no big shakes. I got through the opening, through Dunwall, through the harbour in Edge of the World... Then I got to the first really big playspace. You know the big Karnaka canal space with City Guard on one side and Overseers on the other.
Heh, I also died at this exact area on my no-powers Iron Mode playthrough with all difficulty sliders turned to max. Now I'm wondering whether I actually want to attempt such a run. It's definitely not going to be the few-hour romp my last several runs have been.

For example, I haven't figured out a way to turn off windmills without Blink/Far Reach to get to their power switches. In the second chapter, this means you can't turn off a lethal barrier, forcing you to take a long way around it.
I thought the same initially, but it's actually possible to reach those windmill switches (including in the second chapter) without powers, usually involving sprint-jumping off of something nearby. Made me appreciate the game's design a little more.

This is at least my assessment.
Thanks. I actually forgot that was an achievement in the first game, but it did seem weird that you were inseparable from blink there, so I'm glad that you can actually legitimately get by on nothing more than gadgets and weaponry in 2 from what I'm hearing.

I don't really like the powers aspect of Dishonored, and it feels especially jarring from an in-world context, I like my games where it's at least pretending my player character and enemies are on a remotely similar set of rules, or at least contextualizes the player character's abilities in a way that just make it feel earned in a way. I didn't really buy into the first game's angle of a meterosexual otherworldly being imbuing you with magic powers on a whim.

So I guess I might pick this up in the future.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Beat this last night with low chaos as Emily. Took me around 22 hours.

Amazing game. Karnaca was beautifully realized and a joy to explore. So many memorable locations, I took my time exploring every nook and cranny.

A huge improvement on the first, especially level designand combat.

Tunahead

I thought the same initially, but it's actually possible to reach those windmill switches (including in the second chapter) without powers, usually involving sprint-jumping off of something nearby. Made me appreciate the game's design a little more.

You can also just straight up wreck windmills. I didn't think you could, but I accidentally threw a whale oil tank at a windmill (I was aiming at some dudes adjacent to the windmill) and it got all blowed up to smitheroons.

Wtf is with this humongous difficulty spike in the
Clockwork mansion
?

It's like 250x more difficult than any of the preceding levels. I've had to reload like 600 times and then I finally think I'm making some headway and
then this asshole teleports like 8 more clockwork soldiers to cockblock my carriage exit?!

Clockwork mansion
?

It's like 250x more difficult than any of the preceding levels. I've had to reload like 600 times and then I finally think I'm making some headway and
then this asshole teleports like 8 more clockwork soldiers to cockblock my carriage exit?!

Are you sneaking around behind the walls?

I thought he just did 2.

Toa Axis

Clockwork mansion
?

Yeah, that level can be quite difficult trying to go through the "core" of it. Going behind the walls makes it a lot more manageable.

And if you're having trouble against the Soldiers, you can shoot off the wooden panels on their back, or on their arms. Doing this will expose small whale oil tanks. Shooting off all the arms will down one, and shooting the the one on their back will insta kill them. Stun mines will stun them for a second or two, and they can also be air assassinated. One will take out their heads, the second will take out the whole machine.

Shooting off their heads will also make them rely on sound and attack anything that moves, even enemies.

EDIT: They also have rewire boxes on one of their legs but I've never been able to do it lol

Are you sneaking around behind the walls?

I thought he just did 2.

Yeah, that level can be quite difficult trying to go through the "core" of it. Going behind the walls makes it a lot more manageable.

And if you're having trouble against the Soldiers, you can shoot off the wooden panels on their back, or on their arms. Doing this will expose small whale oil tanks. Shooting off all the arms will down one, and shooting the the one on their back will insta kill them. Stun mines will stun them for a second or two, and they can also be air assassinated. One will take out their heads, the second will take out the whole machine.

Shooting off their heads will also make them rely on sound and attack anything that moves, even enemies.

EDIT: They also have rewire boxes on one of their legs but I've never been able to do it lol

I'm trying to do pure stealth and avoid detection where possible. I am using the walls to get around.

The final run back to the carriage is beyond me though. I count 3 mechanical clockwork soldiers in the 2nd to last room, and possibly another 2 in the last room just before the exit door.

I've already given up on total non detection and just want to get past these clowns now, but I've been instagibbed like 5 times trying to get to it so far. I'll try again tomorrow probably but holy shit the mission is frustrating. Is there really no choice but fighting or getting spotted going past them? I haven't dealt with the target yet, do the soldiers stand down if I leave the prisoner on a couch somewhere and do that first?

Tunahead

I think the problem is that you've used the clockwork mechanisms, and that causes Jindosh to start monitoring pressure sensors and stuff to notice what you're doing even if you're being stealthy. You can actually get all the way to Sokolov entirely by using the areas behind the walls and not using the clockwork mechanisms even once. The clockwork testing maze itself doesn't cause Jindosh to notice you, at least as long as you're not spotted by the clockwork soldier there. You can just carry Sokolov out of there using the same route you came in and Jindosh won't have activated any new sentries.

And yes, if you deal with Jindosh first, he won't have any bonus clockwork sentries waiting for you at the exit even if he did notice your presence in the mansion.

SJRB

Gold Member
ffs

I don't know if I have an early save to do that.

You were stealthy, but not stealthy enough!

To be fair, the "ultra-stealthy" way is kinda obscure in a way that I probably never would've figured it out if there wasn't a trophy for it. Speaks volumes for the level design, but even at this point I wasn't thinking outside the box enough.

SomTervo

ffs

I don't know if I have an early save to do that.

Pop all their heads off with your crossbow

Let them kill each other

????

Profit

I played a bunch of the first game and didn't really want more of that so I have a question for those that have played the game as Emily without powers to see if Dishonored 2 will interest me any. Basically, does playing without powers feel like a handicap, or is it fleshed out to where it feels complete on its own merits? I ask because a disconnect I had with the first was just feeling overpowered relative to everyone else and it making the game feel like a bad power fantasy more than anything due to the powers. I was super time warping, rat possessing, teleporting assassin man against mostly mook guards who never even stood a remote chance even in the context of the world I'm in. So I didn't find that very satisfying and was wondering if playing as a non-powered Emily would actually be fun in that regard, if it feels like you have a complete arsenal at your disposal without all The Darkness powers.

Another thing I guess I'll ask is has the sword combat been improved from the first game? It was pretty stilted while grounded and felt random as to when an attack would be guarded or instantly kill or not, it just didn't leave me feeling like I had much control to where I would end up cheesing melee fights and opting to double jump in-place and perform an instant kill takedown instead.

- the level design is top-to-bottom designed to work with no powers
- your have more tools as mentioned on the last page, to help you manage without powers
- swordfighting is vastly improved. It's really fantastic. For one thing, there are now non-lethal combat options if you don't like killing - you can actually fight goons actively but knock them out instead of killing them (say after a perfect parry)
- bonecharms still work, even with powers deactivated, so you do get minor upgrades and a sense of progression
- there are now loads of custom difficulty options, so you can give the guards as good/bad a chance as you like

I definitely agree that the player is too OP in Dishonored. Even just with Blink you can be pretty much unstoppable.

Heh, I also died at this exact area on my no-powers Iron Mode playthrough with all difficulty sliders turned to max. Now I'm wondering whether I actually want to attempt such a run. It's definitely not going to be the few-hour romp my last several runs have been

Yep, mine was on highest difficulty too.

I tried two more times after that narrative.
- First time I died just past that at the Overseer building.
- Second time I died just past that at the train station lobby.

It seriously seems like it's borderline impossible, haha, especially with everything on max. Like so insanely hard. When I got to the train station I went "screw this I'm crossbowing everyone" and I started popping skulls - but a tango a good 100 yards away spotted me through a window and a super-intense chase through the train station took place and I got shivved. So hard!

The problem is I've got a routine whereby I can get to this point within about 40 minutes of gameplay, but everytime I die I'm like "I have to all that this AGAIN". I'm tempted to try again but save scum every time I finish a session. Like go into the actual folder and copy the save file to a backup folder. Just for the first hour. It'll be a ballache to load the save back into the file and back it up - but better that than have to retry the game's first hour repeatedly.

Filben

EDIT: wrong thread, sorry! I better use the performance thread.

After finishing some games of my pile of shame I could finally started Dishonored 2. Man, this games looks gorgeous in 4k! Unfortunately, this game is far less playable at apparent constant 30FPS than any other game I have played. Although my frame times seem to be perfect at 33.33ms it's like I have some microstutters. A real shame because it's so beautiful. However, even on 1440p and with constant 60FPS/16.66ms per frame it feels like having microstutters when I turn around.

Any known fix for that?

Mascot

Finished Dishonored 2 last night with very high chaos using Emily, and very much enjoyed it.

Would it be a much different experience playing through again as Corvo, and taking a more genteel approach?

xrnzaaas

I started mission 4 and I have a problem. Does anyone know how to access this building:

https://abload.de/img/111s5s5o.jpg

It's dark blue on the map so I assume it's possible to visit it and when I ride the carriage I pass it by, but there doesn't seem to be a way to get there from neither of the Aventa districts.

Xanathus

I started mission 4 and I have a problem. Does anyone know how to access this building:

https://abload.de/img/111s5s5o.jpg

It's dark blue on the map so I assume it's possible to visit it and when I ride the carriage I pass it by, but there doesn't seem to be a way to get there from neither of the Aventa districts.

No it's not accessible, IIRC it's just a big wooden gate frame thing that you pass through in the carriage.

xrnzaaas

Woah the clockwork mansion level was great. I didn't fully explore everything, because my first playthrough is 'murder everyone and look cool while doing it'. Can't wait to replay it on my full stealth playthrough. :)

Woah the clockwork mansion level was great. I didn't fully explore everything, because my first playthrough is 'murder everyone and look cool while doing it'. Can't wait to replay it on my full stealth playthrough. :)

When you replay this mission:
When you go full stealth, see if you can figure out how to beat the mission with Jindosh never knowing you were even there ;)

was going to ask roughly how many not free DLC Packs do you guys think we might get ?

Well, if we go by Dishonored 1, there'll be 2. I don't think we'll be getting a Dunwall CityTrials style DLC (as much as I might like it).

That being said, who knows, given the somewhat tepid sales of Dishonored 2. Still, I hope we get two Dishonored 2 story DLCs. I desperately need more Dishonored 2.

ghostwich

Well, if we go by Dishonored 1, there'll be 2. I don't think we'll be getting a Dunwall CityTrials style DLC (as much as I might like it).

That being said, who knows, given the somewhat tepid sales of Dishonored 2. Still, I hope we get two Dishonored 2 story DLCs. I desperately need more Dishonored 2.

I want to see a different protagonist. Daud's story was excellent. Dishonored 2 feels like a continuation of where they were going in the DLC for the first game more than a sequel to the first game.

SomTervo

Finished Dishonored 2 last night with very high chaos using Emily, and very much enjoyed it.

Would it be a much different experience playing through again as Corvo, and taking a more genteel approach?

Absolutely. I did vice versa and was stunned by how different it is.

Especially if you play without powers. It's like a totally different (and still fantastic) game.

xrnzaaas

I'm currently at mission 7 and I love the idea of
switching between two timelines
If only some of the puzzles were harder instead of pretty much throwing the solutions at your face by leaving notes or making Emily tell hints. ;)

J_Viper

I'm still early on, a bit more than 90 minutes into the first mission, but I'm very impressed at the improvements to the presentation.

The art and level design is top notch, as usual, but it makes such a difference to play as a character who speaks and observes the world around her, instead of a floating camera with arms.

The voice acting isn't perfect, but it's a big step above the first game. The writing has also improved, where even the logs scattered around the level are more interesting to read.

If I have one complaint so far, stealth seems a bit broken. The suspicion bar from enemies fills in like a half second, so once someone gets the slightest glimpse of you, you're pretty much caught. Maybe it's just trickier without abilities.

xrnzaaas

If I have one complaint so far, stealth seems a bit broken. The suspicion bar from enemies fills in like a half second, so once someone gets the slightest glimpse of you, you're pretty much caught. Maybe it's just trickier without abilities.

I think it's refreshing that enemies can spot you in a corner of the eye or from afar. In most modern games they're half blind, even in top rated games like Horizon. I adapted to it by listening to the sounds more, doing recon from vantage points (might be harder without powers) and leaning slooowly. :)

sam777

Just did mission 4 on my first run through while trying to achieve ghost, no powers plus no deaths or takedowns. Took me over 3 hours. Definitely the hardest mission from both games so far.

xrnzaaas

I finished my high chaos playthrough and I liked it but I feel like the first game had more memorable levels. Also it didn't help that you revisit some areas at the end so technically you get eight unique levels.

MauroNL

Game Update 3 is out now. Was about 1.4 GB on Xbox One.

PC:

Fixed a bug where AMD 400 Series Crossfire enabled GPUs will have lower auto graphics presets than the single card GPU
Fixed a bug where the player can get control-locked in the Keybind menu if they use a mouse and gamepad.
Fixed a PC bug where the player will lose in-game sound/audio after alt-tabbing too quickly
Added option to hide the quick select dock
Fixed a bug where Quick Save / Quick Load is available in Iron Mode
UI optimization
Fixed a bug where the FPS drops when the player looks at a gravehound’s smoke.
Fixed a bug where possessing a Gravehound causes their smoke effect to build up.
Fixed shadows missing on particles
Fixed a bug where normal maps were inverted with negative scaled objects
Fixed a bug where using Far Reach on a hanging speaker causes strange physics in subsequent Far Reaches
Fixed a bug where aiming Focused Strike or Spyglass at the sky results in poor depth of field masking
Fixed a bug where Jindosh still talks to player in lab after death or being rendered unconscious
Fixed a bug where the journal may become blurred
Fixed a bug in Long Day In Dunwall where screen turns dark a short time after speaking with Meagan
Fixed a bug where the player becomes control-locked when attempting to load corrupt mission saves
Fixed a bug where overwriting corrupt New Game + save with no free space can cause a crash during or after credits
Fixed a bug where Autosave Thumbnails persist after switching Profiles
Fixed a bug in “Long Day in Dunwall” where saving as the mission causes the Mission Save to not be created
Fixed a bug where canceling a mission selection on the main menu and then starting a New Game + prevents selecting a difficulty setting
Fixed a bug where mantling as the elevator hits the ground will cause game to crash
Fixed a bug where Doppelgänger doesn’t replenish mana with Corvo
Fixed a bug where NPCs will rediscover bodies after a save/load and enter search mode a second time
Fixed reported issues with some localization text
Fixed a bug where Springrazor traps attached to Rats and Bloodflies will not go off if possessed
Fixed a crash when Far Reaching to an NPC while killing them with Shadow Kill
Fixed a bug where Rats were unable to consume severed limbs
Fixed a crash that could occur during a fight with a rewired Clockwork Soldier
Bloodthirst post-process is now brighter
Fixed a bug where one-handed thrown objects were misaligned to the right of the crosshair
Fixed a bug where the Springrazor won’t trigger when it is put on a bolt
Added a « Full » option for the « Mana Replenish » setting
Fixed a crash when player falls off of platform inside painting while in possession.

Xbox One:

UI optimization
Fixed a bug where possessing a Gravehound causes their smoke effect to build up.
Fixed a bug where using Far Reach on a hanging speaker causes strange physics in subsequent Far Reaches
Fixed a bug where aiming Focused Strike or Spyglass at the sky results in poor depth of field masking
Fixed a bug where Jindosh still talks to player in lab after death or being rendered unconscious
Fixed a bug in Long Day In Dunwall where screen turns dark a short time after speaking with Meagan
Fixed a bug where the player becomes control-locked when attempting to load corrupt mission saves
Fixed a bug where overwriting corrupt New Game + save with no free space can cause a crash during or after credits
Fixed a bug in “Long Day in Dunwall” where saving as the mission causes the Mission Save to not be created
Fixed a bug where canceling a mission selection on the main menu and then starting a New Game + prevents selecting a difficulty setting
Fixed a bug where mantling as the elevator hits the ground will cause game to crash
Fixed a bug where NPCs will rediscover bodies after a save/load and enter search mode a second time
Fixed a bug where Springrazor traps attached to Rats and Bloodflies will not go off if possessed
Fixed a bug where one-handed thrown objects were misaligned to the right of the crosshair
Fixed a crash when player falls off of platform inside painting while in possession.
Fixed a bug where a control-lock occurs during streaming install when restarting from last checkpoint post-Long Day in Dunwall (consoles)
Fixed a bug where no loading prompt appears when attempting to load any saves during streaming install when two campaign slots are filled (consoles)

PS4:

UI optimization
Fixed a bug where a control-lock occurs during streaming install when restarting from last checkpoint post-Long Day in Dunwall (consoles)
Fixed a bug where no loading prompt appears when attempting to load any saves during streaming install when two campaign slots are filled (consoles)

Ridisc

Banned
How is the stealth in this game compared to the last? I found it very easy to break dishonored 1 and generally thought the stealth options were quite mediocre and samey.

How is the stealth in this game compared to the last? I found it very easy to break dishonored 1 and generally thought the stealth options were quite mediocre and samey.

Emily's powers can be used for stealth, especially Domino, Shadow Walk, and Mesmerize

And you no longer have to choke people from behind or use a sleep dart since there are other non-lethal options non-lethal slide assassination and non-lethal drop assassination.

Hale-XF11

Kind of a random thought that's been floating around in my head, but how would you guys feel if the Dishonored games had randomly placed AI similar to the Left 4 Dead series?

I think it could make for greater replay value.

jacobeid

Banned
Hey everyone, sorry if this is not a great place to post this, but I saw a ton of people in the PSN flash sale thread interested in Dishonored: Definite Edition. I knew I still had my code from purchasing D2 so I decided to give it away. In doing so I realized that the codes all expire in two weeks (May 1), so if anyone else is feeling generous stop by that thread to give a GAF member a little gift :)

Lijik

Debating buying this on ps4. Is it any good? Some what liked the first.
i think its fantastic but you might want to check out the trial on psn. Lets you play the first three missions and I believe progress carries over to the full game if you decide to buy it

Up to chapter 7. Have a question. I forgot the name of it, but that device you get in ch7 that
lets you switch between past and present
is this used for the remainder of the game, or just chapter 7?

Up to chapter 7. Have a question. I forgot the name of it, but that device you get in ch7 that
lets you switch between past and present
is this used for the remainder of the game, or just chapter 7?

Just chapter 7.
The lore explanation is that the events that took place in the house are the reason that the void is leaking and you can jump between the time periods. As soon as you leave the house the ability goes away.

Top Bottom