• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

Catdaddy

Bought Prey - kept seeing the Arcane logo popup, ended up playing a NG++ of Dishonored 2 instead. This game is quietly becoming my favorite game released 2016, was in my top 5 but I keep coming back to it and having more fun each time I play.

ghostwich

I saw this for $20 and have heard enough good things to pick it up. Do I need to have played the first? I own it, but have only played a few hours.

It helps. The plot of this game is a direct follow-up to the first game and its two story DLC.

The first game runs pretty well on modern hardware (with some tweaks, I would start here: https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Dishonored#Essential_improvements) and would be a pretty good sample of the plot and gameplay.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Just finished mission 5.

Goddamn is this game good, loving it as much as I did the first one. They really outdid themselves with the graphics this time, too. I mean, the last game was really pretty as well, but they went ham with the details in the levels, each room has a ton of stuff that really makes the world feel lived in.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just finished mission 5.

Goddamn is this game good, loving it as much as I did the first one. They really outdid themselves with the graphics this time, too. I mean, the last game was really pretty as well, but they went ham with the details in the levels, each room has a ton of stuff that really makes the world feel lived in.

God-tier game, indeed. Enjoy the ride!

I've been replaying this, High Chaos Ghost, so much more enjoyable (and easier) than Low chaos. Highly recommend this approach. I'm dreading the No-Power level though, not a bit fan of this trope in video games in general.

Is Corvo worth going through the game one more time? I've only been playing using Emily and only played like 30" of the original game.

I'm playing this on the PC and the performance, whilst not perfect, doesn't really bother me too much. However, I'm having an issue with my Xbox controller.

It seems that randomly the game just won't accept input from the controller when I start it up, so I have to restart it a few times alternating between big picture mode and desktop mode to launch it. This can be quite annoying, as you'd imagine.

Also, the other issue is that occasionally (say, every 30 mins or so) during the game there's a weird flicker on screen of the windows desktop for a fraction of a second, followed by the game auto-pausing.

Anyone had this? My controller is fine, there's no issue with any other game nor is there a battery or connection problem. I can even press the Xbox guide button to bring up that little Windows/Xbox thing on the bottom of the screen at the very time that the game's main menu is on screen not accepting my controller's input.

I've been replaying this, High Chaos Ghost, so much more enjoyable (and easier) than Low chaos. Highly recommend this approach. I'm dreading the No-Power level though, not a bit fan of this trope in video games in general.

Is Corvo worth going through the game one more time? I've only been playing using Emily and only played like 30" of the original game.

No power is a lot of fun if you just blitz the hell out of the game. Finished in 2.5 hours on my 5th play through.

Chitown B

Nope. If it's happening I assume they'll want to give Prey some space first (at least a couple of months).

Although to be honest I've sort of lost hope in DLC at this point. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I swore I bought the deluxe version that was supposed to include DLC.

Just picked this up on PS4 from ShopTo because it was silly cheap.

I haven't played the first game. No knowledge of previous game at all, other than the basics.

I usually like stealth games, but am concerned that First Person stealth is not quite my jam.

So GAF :

Any advice on how to handle the stealth method? (Is it powers based etc.)

&

Which character should I play with initially for stealth and which is more shock and awe?

Appreciate any help you can give.

Still hoping for a substantial DLC announcement at E3.

Given the recent update with cryptic update notes, I'm a bit hopeful as well. Maybe the patch was setting up some stuff needed for the DLC.

Just picked this up on PS4 from ShopTo because it was silly cheap.

I haven't played the first game. No knowledge of previous game at all, other than the basics.

I usually like stealth games, but am concerned that First Person stealth is not quite my jam.

So GAF :

Any advice on how to handle the stealth method? (Is it powers based etc.)

&

Which character should I play with initially for stealth and which is more shock and awe?

Appreciate any help you can give.

Honestly they can both work really well for stealth. Corvo has Possession and Bend Time and Emily has Mesmerize and Doppleganger (and Domino can be used for some awesome stealth stuff as well). I'd probably say Corvo for a first stealth playthrough though, as his stealth abilities are a bit easier to learn (and Blink is easier for a first timer).

As for handling stealth, keep in mind that you can do a lethal stealth playthrough or non lethal. Both are equally valid and fun. I'd say my biggest tip is to think vertically as much as possible. Often the best stealth routes are above your enemies heads.

Picked up Dishonored 2 and Prey for $16 at Gamestop (PRO Day today). Finally something to play in this summer drought. Only played Dishonored 1 about 75% of the way and never got around to beating it, but looking forward to Arkane's double scoop of awesomeness here.

Looks like Harvey is in LA and Dishonored has been all over the Bethesda press stuff. Has to be DLC getting announced tonight.

(I know it's not going to happen, but I would love for a Dunwall City Stories type DLC for Dishonored 2, if only for an updated version of Back Alley Brawl.)

Sotha_Sil

Looks like Harvey is in LA and Dishonored has been all over the Bethesda press stuff. Has to be DLC getting announced tonight.

(I know it's not going to happen, but I would love for a Dunwall City Stories type DLC for Dishonored 2, if only for an updated version of Back Alley Brawl.)

Definitely happening. No doubt in my mind about it. Hopefully the game has had some strong legs to overcome the early sales disappointments.

It's a bit of a longshot, but Bethesda's partnership with AMD has me wondering if we'll be seeing some more Vulkan support for their games. Vulkan on Prey and D2 would be great.

Definitely happening. No doubt in my mind about it. Hopefully the game has had some strong legs to overcome the early sales disappointments.

I wonder how well it sold on consoles. As far as I know the only reliable numbers we have are Steam Spy, which indicate it definitely sold less than Dishonored 1. Might have sold enough on console to make up for it though? Who knows. Either way, I seriously hope Bethesda continues to fund Arkane's efforts, because they make my favorite type of game.

Lijik

Part of me feels like this is definitely getting DLC because otherwise Bethesda releasing two more Dishonored novels in the fall a year after the first makes little sense to me.

So I finally finished the game after buying it back in November. Overall it's really a good game but less cohesive than the first game and performance problems really suck a lot of the enjoyment out of the game.

Missions 2,3 and 4 were definitely my favourite ones.

08TqYX2.gif

"Oh shit! Sound the alar... zzzzz"

How necessary is it to play the first game's DLC before starting this? I've just finished the first one and sort of spoiled myself that the DLC
villain turns up in 2

So I want to play this but haven't really finished the original. I'm maybe two hours into it. It seems that these games thrive on replay value. Is there a "proper way" to play these, like stealth all the way through or just going nuts?

SJRB

Gold Member
So I want to play this but haven't really finished the original. I'm maybe two hours into it. It seems that these games thrive on replay value. Is there a "proper way" to play these, like stealth all the way through or just going nuts?

Your actions have consequences, let's just keep it at that.

For a first playthrough, just play however feels right for you. There is no "wrong" way to play Dishonored, so don't worry about that while playing because it might ruin your experience if you're constantly wondering if you're doing it "wrong".

Lijik

Play the way you have the most fun doing, you can always do a replay if you want to try something else or go for achievements or story threads you couldnt get the first time.

george_us

Picked this up during the E3 sale. For some reason this game has clicked HARD with me in a way the first never did. Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind to play Dishonored 1 but damn if D2 isn't excellent.

So beat the clockwork mansion area, and was able to do it without aggroing the machines! So I guess it was kinda like and easy mode since the guy didn't know I was there.
Instead of talking with him when I entered. I went through the sky light. Had to make sure I didn't mess with his home until he was unconscious/dead. If he's alive he will activate his machines.
Decided early on, I really didn't want to deal with the machines, especially since I was going for the ghost achievement.

Your actions have consequences, let's just keep it at that.

For a first playthrough, just play however feels right for you. There is no "wrong" way to play Dishonored, so don't worry about that while playing because it might ruin your experience if you're constantly wondering if you're doing it "wrong".

Play the way you have the most fun doing, you can always do a replay if you want to try something else or go for achievements or story threads you couldnt get the first time.

Thank you both. I won't end up getting some shit ending if I play one way or another will I?

Coreda

So this is annoying. When are the powers transferred in NG+? It states they carry over but after reaching the ship and post-Void encounter on a new save slot for NG+ the powers still aren't there.

Then tried overwriting the first, existing completed save slot and during the first mission the powers still haven't transferred. Do I have to have the Void encounter on this save in particular?

So this is annoying. When are the powers transferred in NG+? It states they carry over but after reaching the ship and post-Void encounter on a new save slot for NG+ the powers still aren't there.

Then tried overwriting the first, existing completed save slot and during the first mission the powers still haven't transferred. Do I have to have the Void encounter on this save in particular?

Powers don't shift, runes do. Or whatever the pieces to buy powers were called.

Coreda

Powers don't shift, runes do. Or whatever the pieces to buy powers were called.

Oh, I see. During the first mission it stated I had 0 runes so post-Void encounter after checking the powers and seeing none I mustn't have noticed the rune counter increase. Second slot save is fine apparently.

Pity I overwrote the first slot while testing this :/ Guess I'll poke around the backup and see if there's a way of restoring just that slot.

Regginator

'sup guys, I just saw the description of the trailer of the new stand-alone game, is it a big spoiler if you know that
Megan Foster is Billie Lurk
? Is it brought as "woah!" moment or doesn't it really have any effect on the story?

I'm planning on starting Dishonored 2 later this week (so no replies with untagged spoilers please).

'sup guys, I just saw the description of the trailer of the new stand-alone game, is it a big spoiler if you know that
Megan Foster is Billie Lurk
? Is it brought as "woah!" moment or doesn't it really have any effect on the story?

I'm planning on starting Dishonored 2 later this week (so no replies with untagged spoilers please).

If you play on low chaos, Meagan will reveal her true identity. Of course, you'd already know if you've played the Daud DLCs

Yoshi88

So i finally managed to finish this game. Low chaos playthrough with Emily, got rid of all main targets with the alternative/ non-lethal way. Game itself was quite good, although it missed its potential sometimes. I think Dunwall was all in all better realised and more authentic through more exposition, lore and characters in the city.

Complete non-lethal aproach is unfun and mostly impossible due to AI bugs, clunky physics etc. that often require to reload several times (with huuge loading times).

Still, glad this series continues to thrive.

But boy, that ending was underwhelming considering all the build-up, story beats before etc. Maybe more of story-related characters and main targets in the first game helped. My qualm with the ending:
Very few explanations. They made a huge deal of Delilahs accusations and claim of being Jessamine's sister. As far as i've seen they never cleared that up completely and Emily herself didn't believe her till the end. And what about the rest of Karnaka aside from the "new" (fake) duke? What about the dust district, where i got rid of both Paolo and Byrn (non-lethal)? What happend there? What about Jindosh's mechanics? Could've still been put to good use, after he got mad. What about Hypatia? What about Ramsey and all the traitors in Dunwall after i put them away? What about the bloodfly plague (the rat plague was mentioned in the first game's epilogue)? What did the Dunwall courier write about all the events now? This was just left in the dark after talking to him for the second time.

And what did become of Emily's experience in those months? Several times dialogues and she herself mentions her failures as empress so far and and her newfound experience "on the streets" she wants to use to be a better empress.
Which results in one sentence in the epilogue that mentions "Empress Emily -the smart - the wise -(...). Bit thin.

Why am i doing all this, helping and saving people and city districts in side missions if they're never mentioned again? There is no feeling of achievement or wrap-up after all those teased so-called world-changing events and persons.

I just found the ending very underwhelming, especially compared to the first game. Which wasn't that much longer (the ending), but at least mentioned all the important story beats and had even more direct commentary regarding each level and target at the outsider shrines. Here the outsider didn't mention much of the respective levels.

Pooya

I finally managed to put some time into this game this weekend after shelving it at launch because of performance. There is really not many changes from the original that I can tell, it's just more Dishonored and you can play with 2 characters. The bar in 1 was a lot more interesting than the ship is in this. I think I should have gone with Corvo, don't like Emily's powers very much. Level design is magnificent. I just beat the clockwork mansion and like wow, if rest of the game is like this... I feel this game got majorly overlooked. Can't wait to beat this finally but considering every mission takes me like 90min and I have to get all the runes and bonecharms, it's going to be awhile. I'm hooked though, few games capture my attention these days. Last one was Nier. I really love the world of Dishonored. It's very creative, beautiful and just sucks you in.

ActWan

I've started playing this game like, three days ago and it's fucking amazing so far. The levels are godlike and it improved on the first game in so many aspects.
I just hope it doesn't go to shit at the end like The Brigmore Witches :mad:

I've started playing this game like, three days ago and it's fucking amazing so far. The levels are godlike and it improved on the first game in so many aspects.
I just hope it doesn't go to shit at the end like The Brigmore Witches :mad:

I think it's the same level of quality throughout. Even if the plot is still weak. But it makes the first game's levels feel so small and limited.

This must have taken a really darn long time to make with how precise some tricks are.

Top Bottom