• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 testers are already combining powers in ways Arkane hadn’t predicted

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
According to director Harvey Smith these are already being used in ways the team haven’t predicted. “We love it when our powers have flexible utility,” he says in the latest OXM. “We already have some startling ways that people have combined them that have shocked us. This is the emergent gameplay thing that we all love”.

One example he gives is a player using Domnino to link a Doppelganger to some enemies and then killing it. “She just assassinates it. And all three of the other guys drop,” explains Smith. “We had no idea this was possible, we never planned this. It’s just one of those systemic game mechanic interactions that clever creative players figure out as they start to experiment".

Lead designer Dinga Bakaba has another example: “Someone at Arkane came to me a while back with a question: ‘Should spring razormines be triggered by your doppelganger?’ Usually I don’t answer those questions except to say ’why do you ask?’ And he said ‘I summoned my doppelganger and I tried to place a mine nearby because I wanted to do a trap,but I actually put the mine on the doppelganger.’ So when the enemy arrives they run after her and – bam! When they catch up, they explode in gibs”.

Guys it's happening, the first game already was ridiculously flexible.
FlawedTepidAfricanpiedkingfisher.gif

More at the link
http://www.gamesradar.com/dishonore...bining-powers-in-ways-arkane-hadnt-predicted/

Crossing Eden

Doppelgangers have feelings, too. :(
I haven't heard a lot about how they've improved non lethal runs aside from sleep darts and choking. Hopefully we can get our doppelganger to choke people out.

Elixist

cant wait. those examples dont sound too crazy tho, i imagine when the peeps that put in the hundreds of hours show up, we'll see the real deal.

Crossing Eden

Ah yes, the good old "emergent gameplay" PR move.
Considering how the first game released there's really no reason not to believe them when they talk about how emergent the gameplay is.

Sesha

Sounds cool.

Stuff like this is why people love DMC3 and 4, and to a lesser degree DmC. Emergent combat, if you can call it that, by using the game's mechanics in ways not intended by the designers (although DMC often has things added by the programmers on their own). It's a shame the combat is still chained to the stealth aspect, because it limits your potential set of options, the enemy types and the enemy AI.

I might actually buy Dishonored 2 at some point. I know these guys did Dark Messiah, and Dishonored's combat is basically an extension of that in many ways.

Now that Dark Souls III is out, this is my most anticipated game for the rest of the year. The first Dishonored is one of my favorites in recent memory. The world-building was phenomenal. Hopefully there's tons more of that in the sequel.

Tyrus

Banned
So looking forward to Dishonored 2 and playing as Emily. First game was so fun with its powers, though I did the first playthrough entirely stealth so I didn't get to use most of the more violent ones.

Crossing Eden

I should try out Dishonored...
When I originally made that gif that is literally what another poster said.

There's a guy who's entire channel is stuff like this
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb2PTdRGKwLjOJQtSW2YF_A/videos
you'll notice like 90% of his videos are dishonored. Can't wait to see what he does with the second installment.
Honestly they should just give this guy early access to one of the levels just to show how badass you can be in these games.
That's an excerpt from one of his videos.

Whoa whoa whoa, OK, now this game is on my fucking radar. How's the first one?
Gif in the OP is from the first one. Story aside it's one of the most masterfully designed stealth games ever made imho.

YaBish

I haven't heard a lot about how they've improved non lethal runs aside from sleep darts and choking. Hopefully we can get our doppelganger to choke people out.
As I recall, they've added drop attack knockouts to the game. Which upon replaying the game last year, I remember sorely missing.

Riposte

Considering how the first game released there's really no reason not to believe them when they talk about how emergent the gameplay is.

"Our level design and enemies seem really under-designed compared to the power set we gave the player. Ah, I know... we'll call it emergent gameplay."

Deadbeat

Banned
But how quickly do I become worse than hitler this time around? 5 kills? 10 kills? Why even design the game around these powers if you are going to muzzle the player anyways.

Orayn

IIRC they said the sequel has about as many nonlethal weapons and gadgets as lethal ones.

fenners

Whoa whoa whoa, OK, now this game is on my fucking radar. How's the first one?

One of my favourite games of the past few years. I typically dislike stealth games, but they nail the flexibility of options - go stealth, fail, kill every fucker if you want or try to escape & recover. The skills allow a great amount of flexibility in approach & encourage you to feel like a bad-ass in all the right ways.

The DLC is really well done too.

I understand why folk ding it on story, but I enjoyed the world/atmosphere a whole bunch & look forward to going back for the sequel.

Fuck it man, im going lethal route. All the fun stuff was locked for the lethal side, idc if i grt the non canon ending, i wanna use all the fun tools this time around

Word of warning: iirc the PS4/XB1 port was not very good

Thanks for that. 360 it is.

One of my favourite games of the past few years. I typically dislike stealth games, but they nail the flexibility of options - go stealth, fail, kill every fucker if you want or try to escape & recover. The skills allow a great amount of flexibility in approach & encourage you to feel like a bad-ass in all the right ways.

The DLC is really well done too.

I understand why folk ding it on story, but I enjoyed the world/atmosphere a whole bunch & look forward to going back for the sequel.

Thank you for the impressions. Kinda surprised this game was never on my radar. It's right up my alley! I saw that gif and immediately was intrigued. Good shit.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i like the lead designers response to "Is this supposed to work like this?" by the team. "Why do you ask?" lol "Well when i put a landmine out it sticks to this thing i summon and doesnt go off." Shit sounds like a bug thats now a fabulous new feature.

Yeah GameInformer said something similar. They said when they were at the studio for their cover issue that the developer that was showing the game to them actually stumbled across a combo he'd never seen before and was super surprised. The 1st one like you said already had some pretty crazy options, I'm excited to see what high level players accomplish in this sand box

Falchion

Experimenting with powers sounds like a ton of fun, hopefully there will still be a lot of hilarious combinations to discover by the time it launches.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Hoepfully they actually make enemies a threat to a lethal player this time. Get a little Thief in there.

One of these things is not like the other

Its basically the same thing depending on glass full or half empty. The power set in Dishnored >>>>> the actual enemy/level design it was supposedly designed around, so its easy to manipulate in a bunch of broken ways

Crossing Eden

As I recall, they've added drop attack knockouts to the game. Which upon replaying the game last year, I remember sorely missing.
Yes.

IIRC they said the sequel has about as many nonlethal weapons and gadgets as lethal ones.
YES

"Our level design and enemies seem really under-designed compared to the power set we gave the player. Ah, I know... we'll call it emergent gameplay."
It's so emergent. It's like an emergency. It's an electronic merger.
Have you two never played the first game at all? Genuinely curious. I mean, "limited level design" especially is sort of a major giveaway that you know quite little about the series.

shandy706

For some reason I could never get more than a couple hours into the first game. I always ended up losing interest.

May try again some day. I want to like this series. It reminds me of my attempts at Borderlands. I get a few missions in and.....don't come back.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Dishonored was one of the best new ip of last gen. I remember a similar story before the first game launched.

Can't wait for the sequel!

ryseing

But how quickly do I become worse than hitler this time around? 5 kills? 10 kills? Why even design the game around these powers if you are going to muzzle the player anyways.

This was my main problem with the first game and part of the reason i never finished. The game was designed to encourage lethal play and yet if you actually dared to have fun you were punished with the bad ending. Why is an assassin being punished for racking up a body count? Made no sense. Has Arkane stated whether or not they are changing this for the sequel?

Crossing Eden

.This was my main problem with the first game and part of the reason i never finished. The game was designed to encourage lethal play and yet if you actually dared to have fun you were punished with the bad ending. Why is an assassin being punished for racking up a body count? Made no sense. Has Arkane stated whether or not they are changing this for the sequel?
Chaos levels dependant on player actions is still a thing, you're an assassin but you're not the type of assassin like the ones who brutally murdered the empress. You're different from that. You do however still condemn your victims to arguably worse fates based if you choose nonlethal routes. The game never actually encourages you to play lethally. If anything, it does the opposite by almost immediately presenting alternatives to straight up brutally murdering everything in your path. The flaw was that there was less tools to do things nonlethally the main things being sleep darts and choking. Apparently that's something they're really aiming to fix with this installment, (non lethal air takedowns for instance is a godsend).

Nimajneb

ive never played the first but im on gmg looking at the gotye for $24.
worth it?

Yes. The game has a lot of flaws, but it is still one of the most ambitious and interesting games of the generation. Everyone should try it. Make sure to turn of objective markers and other such options, they ruin the exploration and discovery aspect of the game.

Top Bottom