• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider PC performance thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

(Click for general game info.)

System requirements:
dishonoreddotosysreqspbsep.jpg

Latest drivers: (as at 21/12/2017)
Nvidia: 388.71
AMD: 17.12.2
Intel: Depends on your processor; download the driver update utility

Benchmarks:
GameGPU (Russian; launch build)

Tips and tricks:
Cap the framerate/potentially improve frametimes: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU have the option of Nvidia Inspector, which can also be used to impose a framerate cap, either in a similar manner to RTSS or by way of forcing a different vsync interval (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Stop the game from crashing after 15 minutes on touch-capable systems running Windows 10: Open the task manager, switch to the Services tab and disable TabletInputService.
Skip intro videos: Right-click Dishonored 2 in your library -> select "Properties" -> click "Set launch options" and input +com_showLoadingScreen 0 into the field.

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Graphics settings:

Screen resolution: Self-explanatory
Monitor: Self-explanatory
Display mode: Windowed mode; Fullscreen; Borderless fullscreen
Brightness: Self-explanatory
Field of view: 65 -> 110 in increments of 1

Presets: Low; Medium; High; Very High; Ultra; Auto
Texture detail: Low; Medium; High; Very High; Ultra
Shadow quality: Low; Medium; High; Very High; Ultra
Water details: Low; Medium; High; Very High; Ultra
Environment detail: Low; Medium; High; Very High; Ultra
Decal quality: Low; Medium; High; Very High; Ultra
Post-process anti-aliasing: Off; FXAA Low; FXAA High; TXAA 1x
TXAA sharpness: 1 -> 20 in increments of 1
Bloom: No/Yes
Camera motion blur: No/Yes

Depth of field: No/Yes
Lens flare: No/Yes
Light shafts: No/Yes
Rat shadows: No/Yes

Vsync: Off; On; Half
Adaptive resolution: Off; Vsync-based; Manual; Always
Adaptive resolution FPS target: 29fps -> 120ps in increments of 1fps
Adaptive resolution quality: Quality; Balanced; Performance
FPS limiter: 30fps; 45fps; 60fps; 75fps; 90fps; 105fps; 120fps
Triple buffering: Off/On
HBAO+: No/Yes

JaseC

To unlock the game early via VPN:

1) Log out of the Steam mobile app and change your password via the the desktop client
1) Download and install F-Secure Freedome (no hard limits, but the trial period expires after five days), FlyVPN (20-minute session limit), ProtonVPN (speed-limited), TunnelBear (500MB data limit), VPN Gate (no hard limits) or VyprVPN (no hard limits, but remember to cancel within 72 hours)
3) Connect to a server in Australia, New Zealand or Asia
4) Restart Steam (if you're logged in)
5) Unlock the game
6, optional) Switch to Offline Mode to preserve the "Play" button as it will revert back to "Pre-load" once you're no longer connected to the VPN (even if you disconnect mid-game, you won't be booted out)

VPN Gate is preferable, assuming there's a relevant server available and the bandwidth is decent.

Edit: No longer necessary.

Shari

Thanks for the thread mate.

Is this denuvo-protected?

How does this run in comparison to the problem riddled Dishonored 2?

JaseC

I'm a bit busy at the moment, but I've edited in screenshots of the graphics settings and will finish up the section later.

Edit: Done.

CHC

If it runs the same as Dishonored 2 after the updates, I'm cool with that. Wound up with a really nice feeling 60 FPS at 1440p and High settings on my 1070, so no major complaints from me.

Can't wait to jump into this. It's, what.... six missions?

Kinda weird that you need a GPU with 8 or 6GB of VRAM + 16GB RAM, but maybe it's just me.

It's not just you, this is stupid as fuck, but I can see some defending it because it's Bethesda. I'm 100% expecting this running like Dishonored 2, which is unplayable for me.

NeoRaider

It's not just you, this is stupid as fuck, but I can see some defending it because it's Bethesda. I'm 100% expecting this running like Dishonored 2, which is unplayable for me.

Maybe they improved performance a little bit after Dishonored 2 backlash, but i am not expecting much.

And yeah, for game that looks like Dishonored 2 does it sure runs like a crap, especially on AMD hardware. I tried the demo and performance was soooo bad.

Akronis

Pls. tell me that Dishonored 2 is great optimized game...
What is exactly wrong in what he wrote??

And pls. don't tell me that you own 1080Ti.

Uhhh I'm not defending Dishonored 2 lol, I'm saying that you thinking that VRAM and RAM have anything to do with each other is stupid and uninformed.

Kazuhira

Thanks JaseC,D2 ran great on ultra at 1080p with my 970 so i'm not too worried about it.
I hope this one is a little more optimized though,extra fps never hurts.

Making standards out of memory leaks and poorly coded memory managers.
I don't think anybody in this thread is pretending that Dishonored 2 wasn't a complete mess at launch (and even today still has room for improvement), but to act like 16 gb of RAM hasn't been the recommended spec for many larger games over the last 2 years is asinine. The first game I can remember recommending 16gb was Battlefront 1 in 2015.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Maybe it get better with patches, but the GTAV PC subreddit was rife with people complaining of stuttering with only 8GB of RAM.

If it's still the Void engine, abandon hope. It's inherently broken since it's based on idTech 5.

not even day 1 version. actualy, i did not see any game getting even close to hit the RAM limit on my system. only "game" was the Cemu.

Paragon

If it's still the Void engine, abandon hope. It's inherently broken since it's based on idTech 5.
No other id Tech 5 games have given me the problems that Dishonored 2 has, and The Evil Within in particular runs great for me, supporting variable framerates without a problem.
I'm expecting this to perform just like Dishonored 2. The most recent patch (which finally fixed the microstutter/framepacing issues - at 60 FPS anyway) was probably work that was being done on the engine for this, which got rolled back into the base game.

I don't think anybody in this thread is pretending that Dishonored 2 wasn't a complete mess at launch (and even today still has room for improvement), but to act like 16 gb of RAM hasn't been the recommended spec for many larger games over the last 2 years is asinine. The first game I can remember recommending 16gb was Battlefront 1 in 2015.

There's no reason to excuse console games to have much higher memory requirements on PC, especially because they should be even more efficient on PC (and FPS and resolution, the typical features of PC, have basically no impact on system memory req.).

It was a fair case when Battlefield had 64 players on PC and 32 on consoles. But with absolute parity with the logic across platforms, the only possible explanation is just bad code.

In fact memory management is also the part of a game engine that would require more specific coding when you port it. Remember for example how games like Watchdogs and Farcry 4 had constant stuttering no matter the hardware you threw at it. And they were never patched.

Memory management is one of the aspects that is harder to handle well on PC and responsible for a great number of bad or poor ports.

GavinUK86

Just wanna cross post from the OT.

So far so good on PC. Couple points:

1 - It does not read any save files. Low Chaos + saving everyone you can has always been Arkane's default canon, if they have to choose one.

2 - Still roaming around the first area on the first mission but it runs really well on a GTX 970 while Dishonored 2 always ran like crap, even on the lowest setting.

The areas here seem way smaller but with more depth to them so I can only presume that's why performance is much better.

If the game opens up later though, it could be the same as Dishonored 2. Have to wait and see but fingers crossed.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Preloaded, unlocked just now, rebooted, but it simply won't boot.

Press the Play icon and it tries to boot, but immediately cancels or crashes. Even tried going into the local folder and running as an admin to no avail.

Hmm...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well, this shit doesn't work. Tried a few things and it just won't even boot at all. I'm not going to keep trying to anymore troubleshooting.

Sygma

Maybe it get better with patches, but the GTAV PC subreddit was rife with people complaining of stuttering with only 8GB of RAM.

Gta V had big issues with the map if you only had 8gb

Just cause 3 had issues, arkham knight too and MK X if im not mistaken.

epmode

Well, this shit doesn't work. Tried a few things and it just won't even boot at all. I'm not going to keep trying to anymore troubleshooting.

Short of submitting a bug report and hoping they'll fix the problem before the refund window closes, have you tried to verify the game files? It's pretty obvious, I know, but you didn't mention it and it can occasionally fix inexplicable crashes.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Figured it out. You need to change your language for non-unicode programs (system locale) to English or it won't boot.

Fucking id Tech 5 strikes again.

Hilarious to see that it has the same bug as older games like Wolfenstein and The Evil Within where it simply won't go full proper screen. The game screen will not fill your monitor if it's not running in your native resolution if you're on the Windows 10 Creator's Update.

This engine (and branches like Void) are just terrible pieces of tech.

Oh well, off to playing.

Angry Fork

I have a gtx970 4GB but meet all the other recommended requirements, I think I ran dishonored 2 on medium/high settings (or it could be low on some things and I just don't remember), 1080p at like 40ish fps outdoors, 60 indoors. I can't remember exactly but that sounds about right. Will the new required GPU settings on this make that significantly worse?

Figured it out. You need to change your language for non-unicode programs (system locale) to English or it won't boot.

Hilarious to see that it has the same bug as older games like Wolfenstein and The Evil Within where it simply won't go full proper screen. The game screen will not fill your monitor if it's not running in your native resolution if you're on the Windows 10 Creator's Update.

Oh well, off to playing.

It is truly garbage. Imagine if Dishonored 2 was built using Unreal 4? I am happy that Wolfenstein 2 will use ID tech 6 that was used in Doom.

Oh well, off to playing.

Seems to me the people who are tinkering with the engine dont know what they're doing. The only games that had issues are other companies who took the engine and rewriten it to do additional stuff. Rage, the actual game where the engine was made for is sublime. Runs at 60 frames on ancient consoles and runs at 60 frames on video cards the likes of nvidia 8800, which are from 2006 and Rage from 2011. Reading a few tech forums at the time of Rage's release, people who work in the coding area were mightily impressed with the engine and new tech it was doing.

Top Bottom