• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonourable sales tactics: For Honor

On the EU Xbox and PlayStation marketplace, For Honor does not have the standard edition for sale. At minimum you can buy the deluxe edition. The standard edition doesn't release until April digitally on console.

So if you want the game digitally on console you HAVE to spend money on the more expensive edition.

Seems like a really dodge business practise withholding the standard edition for two months.

I could of course also buy a physical copy so many may look at this as a wasted thread. I think going forward as digital becomes more and more desirable, these are the kinds of trends that will ultimately hurt rather than help us as consumers though.

Edit: I initially made a flippant remark about a tenner not being that much more - the shame is I was trying to make a point that this is even more dangerous as a consumer

Just wanted to expose the shady 'dishonourable' sales tactics. It's a shame they are tied to a game where the creative team put a lot of work into making something new and interesting.

Edit: I may be pretty off the mark - if anything this thread has opened my eyes up to just how much more expensive digital downloads have gotten over the last two years. Sorry all!

On the EU Xbox and PlayStation marketplace, For Honor does not have the standard edition for sale. At minimum you can buy the deluxe edition. The standard edition doesn't release until April digitally on console.

So if you want the game digitally on console you HAVE to spend money on the more expensive edition.

Seems like a really dodge business practise withholding the standard edition for two months.

I'll personally spend the extra tenner as I have no willpower but I can't help but think it's an incredibly shady practise - I could of course also buy a physical copy so many may look at this as a wasted thread. I think going forward as digital becomes more and more desirable, these are the kinds of trends that will ultimately hurt rather than help us as consumers though.

Just wanted to expose the shady 'dishonourable' sales tactics. It's a shame they are tied to a game where the creative team put a lot of work into making something new and interesting.

Your problem and solution in your own post. Yes its scummy but buying into these practices is why they continue.

RiggyRob

Happened with Nioh as well. Add a few cosmetic items and chuck another £10-15 on the digital price because why not.

I'll refuse to buy a 'standard' version of the game digitally if this is how they're going to handle it.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
So, you are part of the problem....

I'm getting the disc for 47 on Amazon, and if the community goes the way of Evolve, I can still recover most of that.

Vintage

Do Ubisoft have a PR explanation for this? Or are they just silent hoping people will buy expensive version not noticing it?

dmix90

GET some willpower then and do not support shitty practices like that. If you do not stop it now this infection will spread out to US marketplaces and even PC.
Edit: I see that "Digital Deluxe" version of For Honor has the same price as a standart edition would have( at least in Russian PSN ) so not sure whats the problem.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What the fuck? Seriously?

That is inexcusable. They need to get called out on this by every press outlet for this cynical bullshit.

Go buy the disc.
Problem solved

For all the posts to this effect.

Taking me out of the equation - it's a really shitty trend that essentially makes going digital in the future even more undesirable.

Now that I'm aware of it I may go ahead and buy a physical copy - I was trying to get across in the OP that the extra money may not be off putting enough to turn off consumers Which is a pretty shady sales tactic

I don't get the complaint? It's 69.99 which is the price of any non Sony AAA title. If anything you are getting more stuff than a regular edition. It would be different if it was 75 or 80 but it isn't.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Do Ubisoft have a PR explanation for this? Or are they just silent hoping people will buy expensive version not noticing it?

Seems more like OP confuses FOR HONOR™ DELUXE EDITION to be costing more than MSRP of a standard game, which is 69.99 EUR digitally.
Compare this to other "DELUXE EDITION" from Ubi and they typically MSRP for 79.99 EUR.

Kind of reminds me of the thing with Overwatch on consoles.

That's a bit different. Overwatch on consoles is only the special edition, whatever it's called. That's the same price on PC and console, but PC had a cheaper version for $40 which didn't have some bonus skins, the $60 version is the same on all platforms.

Didn't overwatch do the same thing?

I don't think so. It had the Origins Edition, but that was the only version at launch as far as I remember. I don't think I've seen a non Origins Edition on PS4.

That was more of a first print version like the Sonic All Stars Transformed Metal Sonic version which was literally the only version of that game.

komplanen

Vote with your wallet. If you cannot live without a video game for a couple of months and instead choose to pay a premium then you are part of the problem. You can't have your cake and eat it etc.

Happened with Nioh as well. Add a few cosmetic items and chuck another £10-15 on the digital price because why not.

I'll refuse to buy a 'standard' version of the game digitally if this is how they're going to handle it.
It did? I bought Nioh on the online store for €60 which is the normal price for Sony exclusives there

Personally I only buy digital only if it's cheaper than disc. I see no point in paying extra for digital (because most of the time it's higher than retail anyway) when you can either A) pre-order it or B) get it next day from Amazon prime

First world problems?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Seems more like OP confuses FOR HONOR™ DELUXE EDITION to be costing more than MSRP of a standard game, which is 69.99 EUR digitally.
Compare this to other "DELUXE EDITION" from Ubi and they typically MSRP for 79.99 EUR.

Yes he's wrong, the Deluxe is discounted to the Standard price so it's actually more content available at discount and in april the price of this will go up and Standard would be available at this price. It's some Europe promo policy thing, it's not new either

Tecnniqe

Banned
So it's deluxe for the price of standard until April when the price goes up for deluxe and standard takes its spot?

Is that what people are saying? If so I don't get the problem.

jesu

It's £54.99 on the Xbox store.
That's the usual price for a new release digital AAA game these days.

No the post you quoted is right

Essentially you cannot purchase for honor standard edition digitally in the EU

You get the standard edition with some DLC chucked in for the standard price.

arhra

Yeah, it's £54.99 in the UK, which is the regular MSRP for most third-party games.

Seems like the Deluxe Edition is just a preorder bonus-type bundle that they're leaving available for some time after launch.

It's £54.99 on the Xbox store.
That's the usual price for a new release digital AAA game these days.

Sniper Elite 4 which also released today is on there for 49.

For Honor is only a fiver more but this feels more like charging more for the deluxe edition rather than upgrading the standard edition to me

thread title is annoying me. "Dishonourable sales tactics: For Honor" and the lack of u in honour. :-(

For Honor is only a fiver more but this feels more like charging more for the deluxe edition rather than upgrading the standard edition to me

same price on eu PS stores.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
td;lr Ubisoft is marking down the Deluxe Edition price for launch window to price of Standard edition and not selling Standard alone to avoid confusion, which causes confusion(?).

Yes he's wrong, the Deluxe is discounted to the Standard price so it's actually more content available at discount and in april the price of this will go up and Standard would be available at this price. It's some Europe promo policy thing, it's not new either

It's €70 for the deluxe, which is the same price as standard AAA releases on the store day 1. Will there even be a standard digital version?

Digging a bit into other territories stores, I think 1) The reason it's not available is because they put the Deluxe at the price point of what the Standard would be at and decided not to issue that SKU in Europe. and 2) Maybe it's also a store configuration issue.

Looking at Asian PSN storefronts for example. Only the Deluxe and Gold editions are surfaced on the storefront itself and in searches, but you can access a Standard edition by either figuring out the URL or googling.

Thai store listings for example:
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-th/for-honor/cid=STORE-MSF86012-FORHONOR
QyQCGAy.png

Meanwhile here is the Standard edition:
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...tion/cid=EP0001-CUSA05264_00-ASIA000000000000
Wsarl94.png

The Standard edition might be hidden due to the PS+ discount offer which makes the Deluxe cheaper than the Standard would be at full price.

Hasney

Nah, RRP is £50-£60 for standard games, so it's in the wheelhouse.

thread title is annoying me. "Dishonourable sales tactics: For Honor" and the lack of u in honour. :-(

same price on eu PS stores.

Haha sorry about that, I'm based in the uk so naturally spell honour with a U, I respected the game title in the thread title though.

Ultimately digital download prices are a rip off but this seems like a new special way to mess with consumers. I may be wrong but I didn't think 54 was the base cost of a AAA game on the marketplace, it's closer to 49 I thought. Forcing the base model as the deluxe edition feels like a way for them to get a extra fiver - not a special deal

If I am completely wrong then I apologise and close the thread please. Maybe I am out of the loop but 54 pounds as the base cost of the standard edition of a game seems wrong

crimilde

Banned

What? Nioh standard digital edition is 53.25 Euro on my country's PSN store, which is around 2 Euro cheaper than retail.
If you're talking about the Digital Deluxe, that's also got the Season Pass included along those cosmetic items.

Digging a bit into other territories stores, I think 1) The reason it's not available is because they put the Deluxe at the price point of what the Standard would be at and decided not to issue that SKU in Europe. and 2) Maybe it's also a store configuration issue.

Looking at Asian PSN storefronts for example. Only the Deluxe and Gold editions are surfaced on the storefront itself and in searches, but you can access a Standard edition by either figuring out the URL or googling.

Thai store listings for example:
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-th/for-honor/cid=STORE-MSF86012-FORHONOR
QyQCGAy.png

Meanwhile here is the Standard edition:
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...tion/cid=EP0001-CUSA05264_00-ASIA000000000000
Wsarl94.png

The Standard edition might be hidden due to the PS+ discount offer which makes the Deluxe cheaper than the Standard would be at full price.

The standard edition has "ASIA" in the URL. I would say they just forwent releasing the standard in Europe?

Haha sorry about that, I'm based in the uk so naturally spell honour with a U, I respected the game title in the thread title though.

Ultimately digital download prices are a rip off but this seems like a new special way to mess with consumers. I may be wrong but I didn't think 54 was the base cost of a AAA game on the marketplace, it's closer to 49 I thought. Forcing the base model as the deluxe edition feels like a way for them to get a extra fiver - not a special deal

If I am completely wrong then I apologise and close the thread please. Maybe I am out of the loop but 54 pounds as the base cost of the standard edition of a game seems wrong
Haha it's cool, the title of this game just annoys me because of the lack of u. The thread title just made it more obvious. I think Tunesmith above has it figured out.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
The standard edition has "ASIA" in the URL. I would say they just forwent releasing the standard in Europe?

I edited in my conclusion at the top of my post:

Ubisoft is marking down the Deluxe Edition price for launch window to price of Standard edition and not selling Standard alone to avoid confusion, which causes confusion(?).

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

Ubisoft is marking down the Deluxe Edition price for launch window to price of Standard edition and not selling Standard alone to avoid confusion, which causes confusion(?).

I think the OP is confused

I can concede that maybe that's what's throwing me

Maybe I'm completely out of the loop but based on Sniper Elite 4 I expected the standard edition to be closer to 49 digitally.

Apologies if I'm wrong! If that's the case - damn digital downloads are crazy expensive :(

arhra

If I am completely wrong then I apologise and close the thread please. Maybe I am out of the loop but 54 pounds as the base cost of a game seems wrong

When it comes to the big publishers, £55 is standard for EA/Ubisoft/Activision.

Looking at Ubi's last big release, Watch Dogs 2 standard edition is currently £55, while the Deluxe Edition is £63. Pre-orders, however, got the Deluxe Edition at the £55 price-point.

For Honor is probably going to be the same.

Top Bottom