• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney and Capcom Are Reportedly In Communication to Bring Back Marvel Vs. Capcom 2

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 has been delisted for the last decade, which started an entire campaign to bring this game back.

This campaign to bring back Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 was started by Maximilian Dood, a YouTuber whose content revolves around fighting games. He started the campaign earlier this year under "#FREEMVC2" in order to gather support to hopefully re-release the crossover game onto modern systems. This caught the attention of Digital Eclipse, a studio that has worked with both Disney and Capcom to remaster some of its old games. Studio head Mike Mika showed his support for re-releasing the game, along with giving the game a proper remaster treatment. In a recent interview with Shacknews, Mika brings further thoughts to the table regarding how this re-release could be possible.

As stated early in the video, there has been some communication between Capcom and Disney, and that the companies have seen the campaign's online presence too. He then addressed one of the hurdles that fans expected regarding a re-release, being the possible bad blood between the two companies. This stigma mostly stems from Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite's troubled development, due to the overly controlling nature of its roster or character portrayals. Mika shoots this theory down, stating that if any of these employees still were at either company, they wouldn't stay there in order to continue fueling this hostility.

The second, and most important one, would have to be the copyright and potential investments needed to bring the game back. There's been a lot of changes between the two decades of the game's release and the current climate that all three companies are in. Mika explains that lawyers from all fronts would most likely be involved, where they would have to find all of the relevant information required to remaster this classic superhero crossover, which would require a lot of money to do so. "That can often be as much, if not more, than the budget of the game itself," Mika explains.

At the end of the day, for Marvel vs. Capcom 2 to truly be re-released, it comes down to the business side of the industry, and if it could turn all three companies a decent profit. This however is all speculation at this time, as neither company has put out any official word regarding this. Regardless, the campaign has not fallen on deaf ears, and there's at least some communication to possibly bring back Marvel Vs. Capcom 2.

If they're going to bring MvC2 back, might as well go with the entire set of those Marvel fighting games in a collection.

Regardless, neither the article nor the associated video give much insight into anything. There's a shit ton of speculation and not much in the way of anything substantive. The most I got out of it is "Capcom and Marvel have been talking. Oh and people have paid attention to Maximilian Dood's campaign." OK.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I played this game back at the arcade and they had like 2-3 MvC2 machines at the Family Fun Center. Now a days I’ll just boot up my PS3 and play the delisted versions of MvC1 and 2. I grew up with the VS games and it’s a real shame that these companies can’t just make it happen. It also shows they haven’t really outdone their legacy titles. It’s either bogus art, weird controls, reused characters or some other dumb stuff. Capcom manages to mess things up even after they hit a home run with other IP’s. I just wish they’d fix their fighting games and make me feel like I did back at the arcade.

Yup, I'm lucky enough to own MvC2 and the "Origins Collection" (Marvel Super Heroes and MvC1) on PS3, before they got delisted. But those titles can clearly benefit from being ported to modern machines, with better Image Quality (the "scanlines" settings in MvC Origins collection is pure ass.) They need to; other than emulation or paying up the ass for Saturn/Dreamcast copies those games are currently not really available.

All of those games (specially the original Marvel Super Heroes) are beautiful to look at, too. I included a lot of screenshots from a recent playthrough, which I wrote about in the backlog thread here in NeoGAF:

XeUIqDe.png

uIzLzCQ.png

D2DZGBY.png

MEarPwq.png

Alright, that's enough MCU for now; some action shots:

sTQKyWa.png

CKidK9k.png

X2qkSm0.png

RqTwVFt.png

TGj4u9Y.png

wY2HnK8.png

Fahdis

I'm just gonna buy it at this point and let it sit there forever just for the novelty of saying I have it. I find the games trash even though the FGC loves these games, it just not for me. I personally am waiting for CVS3 (yes it will never happen).

Last edited:

Hoppa

YES!! I bought it on PS3 with an old account that I can't remember the email address for and then they removed it from the store :(

Blackage

Cool as this is, I hope it eventually leads to Marvel 3 also getting rollback, it and MSHvsSF are the only 2 games in the series that don't have an official release with rollback I think.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
If they're interested in doing a potential new game based on interest/sales don't make all the character choices surface level. Give Capcom the fucking money and let them do what they want.

Barakov

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 has been delisted for the last decade, which started an entire campaign to bring this game back.

This campaign to bring back Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 was started by Maximilian Dood, a YouTuber whose content revolves around fighting games. He started the campaign earlier this year under "#FREEMVC2" in order to gather support to hopefully re-release the crossover game onto modern systems. This caught the attention of Digital Eclipse, a studio that has worked with both Disney and Capcom to remaster some of its old games. Studio head Mike Mika showed his support for re-releasing the game, along with giving the game a proper remaster treatment. In a recent interview with Shacknews, Mika brings further thoughts to the table regarding how this re-release could be possible.

As stated early in the video, there has been some communication between Capcom and Disney, and that the companies have seen the campaign's online presence too. He then addressed one of the hurdles that fans expected regarding a re-release, being the possible bad blood between the two companies. This stigma mostly stems from Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite's troubled development, due to the overly controlling nature of its roster or character portrayals. Mika shoots this theory down, stating that if any of these employees still were at either company, they wouldn't stay there in order to continue fueling this hostility.

The second, and most important one, would have to be the copyright and potential investments needed to bring the game back. There's been a lot of changes between the two decades of the game's release and the current climate that all three companies are in. Mika explains that lawyers from all fronts would most likely be involved, where they would have to find all of the relevant information required to remaster this classic superhero crossover, which would require a lot of money to do so. "That can often be as much, if not more, than the budget of the game itself," Mika explains.

At the end of the day, for Marvel vs. Capcom 2 to truly be re-released, it comes down to the business side of the industry, and if it could turn all three companies a decent profit. This however is all speculation at this time, as neither company has put out any official word regarding this. Regardless, the campaign has not fallen on deaf ears, and there's at least some communication to possibly bring back Marvel Vs. Capcom 2.
Ryan Gosling Clap GIF

Scotty W

This caught the attention of Digital Eclipse, a studio that has worked with both Disney and Capcom to remaster some of its old games. Studio head Mike Mika showed his support for re-releasing the game, along with giving the game a proper remaster treatment.
The absolute state of things. How many classics are trapped behind licensing issues? Outrun 2. The COW sequel to Sunset Riders. To think that all that is standing in the way of a rerelease is someone happening to notice. The absolute state of things.

Shut0wen

I hope so still my all time favourite fighting game, especially on dreamcast, the newest ones just dobt have the same energy and soul as the 2nd

Saber

Gold Member
Well I hope it ends up being true.
MvsC2 cast is massive and way better with the craps we have nowadays.

I still wish Third Strike OE was backwards compatible on X1/SX, because that version is way better than the Anniversary Collection version. Same goes for MvC2 because then I wouldn’t have to buy it again. But this is Capcom so we can’t have that.

spookyfish

If they're going to bring MvC2 back, might as well go with the entire set of those Marvel fighting games in a collection.

Regardless, neither the article nor the associated video give much insight into anything. There's a shit ton of speculation and not much in the way of anything substantive. The most I got out of it is "Capcom and Marvel have been talking. Oh and people have paid attention to Maximilian Dood's campaign." OK.
I would pay lots of monies for a Capcom “Vs Collection.”

A.Romero

Nope, that milking shit has to end...unless they release a solid collection of all Capcoms Marvel fighting games.
But I want it :(

It would have to be a massive effort. Some of the rehashed sprites looked terrible back then.

I'm willing to fork out for a full game, even with the dlc crap if they make it the way they should.

nbkicker

Would love to see a updated version of this out, but with disney having the rights to marvel charachters and i take it sony with spiderman and venom i dont no how profitable for capcom this would be since i expect disney would want a huge slice of money from it , and sony might only want Spiderman and venom on sony platforms

PJX

Would love to see a updated version of this out, but with disney having the rights to marvel charachters and i take it sony with spiderman and venom i dont no how profitable for capcom this would be since i expect disney would want a huge slice of money from it , and sony might only want Spiderman and venom on sony platforms
Please stop with this nonsense. Sony doesn't decide in which games Spiderman and Venom ends up in. When will you people realise this shit.

Kokoro2020

I agree. Give us all the Marvel fighting games. I wouldn't mind trying out X-Men vs. Street Fighter and the first Marvel vs. Capcom game.

But yeah, MvC2 goes for some high prices on other consoles, so it would be a wise move to bring it back digitally. I managed to get the game before it as delisted, personally.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

This. I'd kill to play all the Marvel/Capcom fighters.

Also, while they're at it, they could also discuss the release of the Alien Vs Predator arcade game. Makes sense as Disney now owns Fox.

Dazrael

This. I'd kill to play all the Marvel/Capcom fighters.

Also, while they're at it, they could also discuss the release of the Alien Vs Predator arcade game. Makes sense as Disney now owns Fox.
No need to kill, just get a MiSTer. All the CPS2 games are on there. Failing that the Capcom Home Arcade has most CPS2 games on it, including AVP.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i wanna take you for a ride

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
No need to kill, just get a MiSTer. All the CPS2 games are on there. Failing that the Capcom Home Arcade has most CPS2 games on it, including AVP.

But I want to be able to play them on modern consoles. I feel like Capcom and Disney would make a lot a money by just releasing these games on modern hardware.

I actually considered getting a Home Arcade just for AvP, but I'm confident Capcom and Disney will see sense soon.

Dazrael

But I want to be able to play them on modern consoles. I feel like Capcom and Disney would make a lot a money by just releasing these games on modern hardware.

I actually considered getting a Home Arcade just for AvP, but I'm confident Capcom and Disney will see sense soon.
Fair enough but where game companies fail the community takes up the slack. With Fightcade you can even play online.

I don’t see why Disney and Capcom can’t come to an arrangement for home consoles. Arcade 1up has licenced Marvel vs Capcom and Marvel Super Heroes for their machines and Koch Media reportedly didn’t have any difficulty in getting AVP for the Home Arcade. It’s almost like they actively don’t want to do it.

skneogaf

maximilian dood has definitely been a big part of this, he definitely has some say in the fighting game community.

He's a cool dude apart from blocking me on twitter for trying to explain to him to be careful with his new oled for screen burn. 🤔

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Ready for the matches.

Magneto, psylocke, Sentinel vs Psylocke, Sentinel, Magneto.

Captain Commando as Assistant with the anoying punch power.

Cable with the glitch of consecutive Special move of Beam power.

Last edited:

Notabueno

Banned
But I want it :(

It would have to be a massive effort. Some of the rehashed sprites looked terrible back then.

I'm willing to fork out for a full game, even with the dlc crap if they make it the way they should.

Then you're the reason why we either won't get it or a terribly crap version.

MvsC2 works great as it is, and AI. makes it almost to easy to remaster (yes it can sprite upsampling, shading and even upframerating), but all in all that's the fucking job of companies to maintain and renew their backlog with whatever cheap budget needed for a port that even MUGEN afficionados could do.

Kokoloko85

MVC1 had better music. Tbh all the VS games had better music than MVC2.

MVC2 has the character selection, but it misses the soul, no character music and stages. And yeah the character selection music is cool but meh

Last edited:
Top Bottom