• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney announces red Stormtrooper. This is Star Wars now.

So I guess all that's left is an official showing of C-3P0 with Chewie's gear and everything from that poster will have been substantiated. Or did that already happen?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
"hey we have a lot of unsold stormtrooper stock, what do we do?"
"paint it red, sell it as a new kind of trooper"

"hey we overshot our print of Chewbacca accessories, what do we do?"
"eh, throw em in the C-3PO package"

my only real question for the next movie is how blatant the theme park tie in will be. Coca Cola as a SW brand is now actual canon, it's not a question of will they do product placement in the movie, but how much, and how blatant?

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
my only real question for the next movie is how blatant the theme park tie in will be. Coca Cola as a SW brand is now actual canon, it's not a question of will they do product placement in the movie, but how much, and how blatant?
The whole "let's put on-the-nose pop culture references in our movies/videogames" is a trend I wish would die a sudden death. It's amusing when used sparingly, but like you said it's basically a hair away from direct product placement.

NickFire

Two thoughts:

1) sticking with what works makes me happy. It's the new ideas that have sucked so far.
2) Sith are coming back? Praise the heavens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CDiggity

Everyone knows the red ones are superior based on the law of chromatic superiority. Next step is to add some flames and then they will be unstoppable.

buizel

Banned
dude are you FUCKING KIDDING ME with that spoiler riffic title. you fucking spoiled the last Skywalker or whatever the fuck it's called for me and me kids cause I told them and now they know and it's YOUR FAULT

FUCK dude this adds like so many layers to the lore . I wished youd let me discover it in Delilah Dawson's epic novel coming out in which the red stormtrooper is in like 6 pages of something . DUDE WTF

#Phonepunk#

Banned
FUCK dude this adds like so many layers to the lore
did you hear the Emperor might be coming back??? they are referencing a guy in an old Star Wars movie IN A NEW STAR WARS MOVIEEEE???? a guy that has been in 5 out of 8 films is coming back!!! nobody could have seeeeen this comiiiiiing!!!!

i mean THE SITH. that's a Star Wars thing! and it's going to be in a new Star Wars movie!!! can you believe it!!!!???

buizel

Banned
did you hear the Emperor might be coming back??? they are referencing a guy in an old Star Wars movie IN A NEW STAR WARS MOVIEEEE???? a guy that has been in 5 out of 8 films is coming back!!! nobody could have seeeeen this comiiiiiing!!!!

i mean THE SITH. that's a Star Wars thing! and it's going to be in a new Star Wars movie!!! can you believe it!!!!???

wow dude it's crazy because kyro ten is so different from the sith and is totally not the opposite to the newly reborn rebels

can you imagine if there's one of those red stormtroopers and he runs out and we find out it's b'izno k'arn or tarfo nib or one of those legendary Jedi's from the karzak wads on bliptar 7

keraj37

What is next in line?

142-1-1514870173.png

GV82

0-F575839-E9-D2-4-B0-F-8-FFC-3-ED3-F8-BBE228.png

Just some of the many available over the years, other colours too. Some of these designs I didn’t even know existed like swamp troopers

Last edited:

Cato

Banned
They are officially out of ideas.

sith-trooper-black-series-sdcc-2019.jpg

Does it look cool? Sure. Because the original Stormtroopers looked cool.

This is all 21st-century Disney can do, focus-test in on the bits of our childhoods we fondly remember and regurgitate them in a slightly different, usually worse form.

Well, I guess we now know what happened to the enormous mountain of unsold normal white storm troopers after Toys4Us went under.

Paint them red and put them in a new box.

Last edited:

Ol'Scratch

Looks like Star Wars has to take a rest for a few years. Disney has beaten this franchise into a pulp of no substance in an attempt to push merchandise over decent story telling.

Did you just type this? The Phantom Menace was quite literally the biggest abomination of a toy blitz and marketing clusterfuck of any Star Wars movie if not any movie ever made as were the other two prequel movies and this was 100% Lucas. The Post Disney acquisition movies have not even come remotely close and have not released nearly as many toys or merch. Plus as usual people selectively forget that Lucasfilm still has creative over everything, not Disney.
TLDR You do not know a fucking shred of what you are talking about.

Javthusiast

Banned
As people already mentioned, will there be any difference between these troopers and the regular ones? Cause the cool chrome trooper Phasma certainly did jack shit.

And that my friends is why Star Wars ended on 6. As far as I'm concerned there was no 6 or 7 or Solo. Rogue One was well done fan fiction though.

The disney wars movies have legit done so little for the overall story, ruined it more than helped, that I completely ignore them when it comes to canon. xD

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
they are standing by the door, they are guards.

one of the few mysteries left from OT for me is, who were these guys hanging with the Emperor?
kOAeB.jpg

Nymphae

Banned
I get that they are guards. It’s more so who are they? How did Luke or Snoke or whoever find them.

They clearly aren’t normal stormtroopers.

We didn't even get basic details about what happened to the Republic's rule and army after RotJ, and how the FO was able to surpass the republic's abilities in a mere 30 years despite having their forces and top personnel nearly entirely wiped out (the first death star took over 20 years to build, and they were a ruling Galactic Empire)

But yes, the lack of lore details for the breakout Red Doormen characters from The Last Jedi really grinds my gears as well, huge missed opportunity :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Super Mario

Banned
Biggest scandal since Watergate. The nerve of Disney pissing on our iconic white suit. ONLY THE ROYAL GUARDS CAN BE RED. THEY MUST CONTINUE TO WIELD SWORDS!

Pimpbaa

We didn't even get basic details about what happened to the Republic's rule and army after RotJ, and how the FO was able to surpass the republic's abilities in a mere 30 years despite having their forces and top personnel nearly entirely wiped out (the first death star took over 20 years to build, and they were a ruling Galactic Empire)

But yes, the lack of lore details for the breakout Red Doormen characters from The Last Jedi really grinds my gears as well, huge missed opportunity :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Well, building your super weapon on to an already existing planet or moon gotta save some time than completely fabricating your own moon size structure. As for ships and fighters, they just seem to be modified Empire designs. Perhaps they secretly took tie fighters and star destroyers after RotJ (everything everything else they find) and retrofitted with modern equipment although that wouldn't explain the amount the FO has. There is certainly a lot that has to be explained that hasn't been. I'm surprised they got anything done with Hux being an idiot and Kylo throwing temper tantrums. If Snoke truly is dead, then they would need Palpatine (if they found a way to bring him back) or someone new of similar power to keep the first order from falling apart. God, i'm starting to sound like one of those Star Wars fan channels on youtube with their ridiculous theories.

gatti-man

Looks like Star Wars has to take a rest for a few years. Disney has beaten this franchise into a pulp of no substance in an attempt to push merchandise over decent story telling.
Or you know hire decent writers, write out a story then hire cast and directors around it vs just shitting out whatever they can in time for December. Fucking sucks being a Star Wars fan with the way they handled the trilogy so far.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Or you know hire decent writers, write out a story then hire cast and directors around it vs just shitting out whatever they can in time for December. Fucking sucks being a Star Wars fan with the way they handled the trilogy so far.

If only Kathleen didn’t let Rian have free ring. Even when Luke Mofo Skywalker was balking and speaking out against his spectrum like decisions. We could have had something salvageable, even if a close retread.

Instead we get the total opposite of what ESB did with the middle film.

Rian was like that one kid in the neighborhood who said he was just as much a big Star Wars fan, but went against every collective fan theory and narrative with his own delusion of grandeur that made everyone cock their heads to the side, the one that pronounced AT-AT wrong.

The person we all only played with because his family were the only ones to afford the Millennium Falcon palyset for our broke ass figures to join.

Last edited:

gatti-man

If only Kathleen didn’t let Rian have free ring. Even when Luke Mofo Skywalker was balking and speaking out against his spectrum like decisions. We could have had something salvageable, even if a close retread.

Instead we get the total opposite of what ESB did with the middle film.

Rian was like that one kid in the neighborhood who said he was just as much a big Star Wars fan, but went against every collective fan theory and narrative with his own delusion of grandeur that made everyone cock their heads to the side, the one that pronounced AT-AT wrong.

The person we all only played with because his family were the only ones to afford the Millennium Falcon palyset for our broke ass figures to join.
I don’t blame Rian at all. Giving a director free reign to do whatever they want in a trilogy is a terrible fucking idea even if you have some loose direction of where things should go. Like if you’re going to do that atleast stick with the same director.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don’t blame Rian at all. Giving a director free reign to do whatever they want in a trilogy is a terrible fucking idea even if you have some loose direction of where things should go. Like if you’re going to do that atleast stick with the same director.

Kasden did marvelous with Lucas’s story for ESB. I blame both Rian and the top. (For the record I was not expecting an ESB like film, but was Expecting a coherent story and not dropping characters like Snoke or theory arch’s like Rey’s parents into a void of shit.)

It’s not like we haven’t seen behind the scene videos where Rian was narrating admitting that Mark Hamill as well as a few others were not happy with some of the story direction.

He just had to “convince them of his vision” tho.

This is what happens when you take a arthouse director and give him control of a campy nerd soap opera. As an artsy standalone the film is fine, in the Star Wars fantasy soap opera,
it was out of place.

gatti-man

Kasden did marvelous with Lucas’s story for ESB. I blame both Rian and the top. (For the record I was not expecting an ESB like film, but was Expecting a coherent story and not dropping characters like Snoke or theory arch’s like Rey’s parents into a void of shit.)

It’s not like we haven’t seen behind the scene videos where Rian was narrating admitting that Mark Hamill as well as a few others were not happy with some of the story direction.

He just had to “convince them of his vision” tho.

This is what happens when you take a arthouse director and give him control of a campy nerd soap opera. As an artsy standalone the film is fine, in the Star Wars fantasy soap opera,
it was out of place.
Yeah I agree as a stand alone film the last Jedi is a good film. It’s a case of a director given too much rope and creative freedom. Disney should have the scripts of all three movies essentially done and allow directors approved rewrites.

Instead what happens is Disney hires a director for the movie then allows them to actually write it. Idk how you expect a cohesive trilogy to arise from that method.

Like I enjoy the new films even Solo but they all feel incredibly disjointed and not cohesive AT ALL.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah I agree as a stand alone film the last Jedi is a good film. It’s a case of a director given too much rope and creative freedom. Disney should have the scripts of all three movies essentially done and allow directors approved rewrites.

Instead what happens is Disney hires a director for the movie then allows them to actually write it. Idk how you expect a cohesive trilogy to arise from that method.

Like I enjoy the new films even Solo but they all feel incredibly disjointed and not cohesive AT ALL.

Definitely agree here. For a story group that wanted to be so protective with how they control the canon narrative, they got pretty damn sloppy with how they handled it all where it meant the most on film.

Which is strange for me, because for the first time I am not overly excited for the final film this holiday. I am of course going to see it, but that fandom fire for 35+ years, is now a pilot lite right now.

Star Wars without George Lucas ain't Star Wars. From the moment I read that Lucas sold his properties to Disney I knew things would go horribly wrong.

gatti-man

Star Wars without George Lucas ain't Star Wars. From the moment I read that Lucas sold his properties to Disney I knew things would go horribly wrong.
This kind of stuff is so weird to me. The prequels should have shown everyone that Lucas doesn’t know wtf he is doing at all without a bunch of help.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This kind of stuff is so weird to me. The prequels should have shown everyone that Lucas doesn’t know wtf he is doing at all without a bunch of help.

I would take the prequels over this, this new trilogy.

As campy as they were, it’s Star Wars, they have far more imagination and narrative than what we have now film wise.

The new ones still feel that they don’t completely fit in the mainline completely., to me.

Last edited:
Naaaah. I hate TLJ with a passion, but let's not pretend the prequels aren't still a steaming pile of shit. :D

I had high hopes after watching TFA, even with all of its flaws.
TLJ destroyed that.

I wonder if RoS can salvage anything out of the shipwreck that Rian Johnson left behind.

Dazrael

Star Wars needs to be a culmination of things to work; Lucas’ world building and imagination, a decent writer, a proven director (someone like Kershner springs to mind) and staff with acres of humility to tell Lucas that sometimes it’s ok to be wrong.

I still say that the original trilogy was in the right place, at the right time...lightning in a bottle as it were. Everything afterwards was diluted, riding on the success of the original. I find it insane that 42 years later and the franchise is still riding on that success. It hasn’t gone anywhere. There is only so much story you can tell when you confine the name of the franchise as “Star Wars”. There are wars and they have to be set in space. Creatively bankrupt if you ask me.

ruvikx

Banned
Star Wars needs to be a culmination of things to work; Lucas’ world building and imagination, a decent writer, a proven director (someone like Kershner springs to mind) and staff with acres of humility to tell Lucas that sometimes it’s ok to be wrong.

I still say that the original trilogy was in the right place, at the right time...lightning in a bottle as it were. Everything afterwards was diluted, riding on the success of the original. I find it insane that 42 years later and the franchise is still riding on that success. It hasn’t gone anywhere. There is only so much story you can tell when you confine the name of the franchise as “Star Wars”. There are wars and they have to be set in space. Creatively bankrupt if you ask me.

Star Wars at this point is little more than 3 decent but dated, cheesy 70's/80's era blockbuster movies set in a totally untapped universe with awesome potential which has never been utilized or fulfilled. What came after is little more than bad fanfiction itself (including Lucas with his prequel shit). Jedi Knights with lightsabers? Dark side of the force with dark powers? Empires & different warring factions battling throughout endless space? Awesome.

But someone, somewhere (or a whole bunch of them) decided Star Wars had to perpetually be a combination of a kiddie flick, merchandising & political commentary/social engineering. Star Wars basically needs its Christopher Nolan/Dark Knight moment, i.e. when a writer & filmmaker suddenly realizes the fandom aren't all 13 year olds & can actually enjoy a deeper, more engrossing experience, with all the childish bullshit & nostalgia torn out.

That means ditch the cringe opening title sequence, the John Williams "I'll tell you how you must feel right now" bombastic score, the carboard stereotype villains/heroes & give us a freaking exciting science fiction experience set in that fantastic universe, with complex characters, motivations & real suspense (learn from A Song of Ice & Fire as well). Because all it has going for it right now is the actual background lore created in the first 3 movies. The rest is all a shitshow.

Top Bottom