• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney cancels Star Wars: Attack Squadrons before it even gets out of beta

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
2014-05-2322_28_30-1444j59.png

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2014/05/disney-cancels-star-wars-attack.html

WillyFive

Assuming nobody paid any money for it: meh. If you're going to can a game, best do it before the public can get at it.

I don't think so. Canning it so late in the game, you might as well have released it so that you could recoup some of the cost of developing the game. Cancelling the game during it's beta testing means you just cancelled a near-finished game you've spent who-knows amount of money on.

I don't think so. Canning it so late in the game, you might as well have released it so that you could recoup some of the cost of developing the game. Cancelling the game during it's beta testing means you just cancelled a near-finished game you've spent who-knows amount of money on.

It could hurt the brand.

edit: EA didn't make this

Having seen the trailer for this, it didn't look promising at ALL.

It would have been a low res, arcade-y standalone version of TOR's dogfights with X-Wings and TIE fighters...

Chinbo37

Hopefully this means they green-lit a new Rogue Squadron game instead...

ahahhahahahahaha ... man thought you were serious there for a second.

Imagine - "Rouge Tablet Squadron! comes with 2 FREE ships, the XWing and BWing, with FIVE exciting missions, FREE! Plus dozens of other classic Star Wars ships that you love available for download*. Attack on Hoth and Death Star Run II available soon*

* - for an additional price"

To anybody who has played it: Was it good?

It was pretty awful. Reminded me of Battlestar Galactica Online. Browser based f2p game, so it all felt and played cheap, extremely simplified flight game.

It seemed kinda superfluous what with SWTOR having its space combat mode that was basically the same gameplay.

Gameplay in SWTOR's space expansion is so much better and complex than Attack Squadron was.

okayfrog

Banned
Star Wars: Attack Squadrons was a freemium multiplayer space combat simulation video game developed by Area 52 Games, originally intended to be published by Disney Mobile and distributed by LucasArts[2] for web browsers, developed with Unity.[3]
I'm okay with this cancellation.

Vic20

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if 10's of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something fairly expected has happened...

Are there any SW games in development at the moment? I feel like there has to be a new Jedi Knight game to go along with episode 7, right?

Disney now runs the Star Wars licensing like any of it's other Disney properties. Expect EA's Star Wars games to be damn good, because that's the only way Disney is letting EA release those games to the public. I'm not upset with this one bit. Visceral and DICE are probably sweating tho lol.

Claneko

It didn't look that good. So far my opinion is Disney is exercising some care with the Star Wars license which I can appreciate. I could be proven wrong later, sure, but they seem more protective of its value and reputation so far.

fade_

The beta was horrible. A half assed in browser game that was a horrifying first experience at seeing Star Wars games post Lucas Arts.

The few times I actually got it running, the game was pretty much unplayable. It was straight up awful, it shouldn't have even been called a beta. It was a mess of a game.

Syf

Banned
Probably for the best. That game wasn't shaping up very well.

SERIOUSLY HOW HARD IS IT TO PRODUCE A NEW ROGUE SQUADRON GAME!?!?!?!??!?!?!

Goddamnit.
I'd buy a console just for a new RS game. Hell just port Rogue Squadron 2 in HD and I'll still be all over that.

Plortch

Neo Member
I played the beta and while it brought back some momentary Star Wars: X-Wing memories it was indeed a buggy mess. Too bad really, could have been something.

Star Wars: Landspeeder Ski Safari incoming?

I´m a hardcore fan of all Xwing games, I was really hyped until I tried the beta, it was quite bad and simple.

I hope we get a new Xwing someday.

Top Bottom