• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney: Epic Mickey "Has Potential To Be As Successful On The Wii To Nintendo Levels"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Apparently Disney has a lot of faith in Epic Mickey's sales potential. While I'm sure they're not banking on the game selling this much, it is a change a pace to see a third party publisher have this much faith in their Wii titles, presumably backing it up with a huge amount of support as well.

Gamasutra said:
Disney Interactive Studios executive VP and general manager Graham Hopper says that the studio is striving to evolve storytelling, and entertainment itself, by leveraging properties across the wide range of media pipelines that reside under the Disney umbrella.

Protecting Mickey, Eying Nintendo

The highest-profile game due out of Disney Interactive Studios is Disney's Epic Mickey, a new game from game design guru Warren Spector's Junction Point Studios, which Disney acquired in 2007. Hopper and Disney Interactive Studios have been watching Nintendo's strategy in hopes of achieving success on a platform known for being tough for third parties.

"I think we've tried to learn from the things Nintendo does well," he says. "One of the things that Nintendo does on their own platforms is they give their projects the time and appropriate resources to be successful, and they iterate until they get there. And I think we're doing the same with Epic Mickey, giving it the time and resources to be successful."

He adds, "I'll tell you that I don't think all other third parties are approaching the Wii in the same way. If there's a third-party game that I think has potential to be as successful on the Wii to Nintendo levels, I'd like to think it's Disney Epic Mickey. We're following the same playbook."

Disney Interactive Studios is also known for its franchise-based games -- the company would crank out video game titles based on Hannah Montana and High School Musical regularly, leveraging the popularity and recognizability of the brands among younger players.

So it's rather strange that Mickey Mouse, the iconic anthropomorphic rodent upon which Disney was founded -- who's lovable and eternally kid-friendly -- is in so few games these days. Meanwhile, Mario is doing everything from kart racing to DDR.

"This has been a conscious approach, to try to withhold Mickey from the marketplace a little bit," says Hopper. "I didn't feel that we've been doing him justice in the games business. Simply using him as an icon or an avatar in a game really doesn't do a whole lot for us, and it doesn't agree with the value of who Mickey is as a character."

"We came up with the idea a few years back for Epic Mickey, and have been assembling the right creative team. It took us a while to find the right creative team and visionary to put behind it. Warren Spector has taken that idea and really evolved it. I think it'll be an awesome game."
Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27301/Interview_Disneys_Hopper_On_Nintendo_Withholding_Mickey.php

Considering that Epic Mickey is a 3D platformer, I assume the games they're referring to are things like the 7-9 million selling titles like 3D Marios and Zelda as opposed to the 15-20 million selling things like Mario Kart and Wii Fit.

So, I was curious, do people think it's reasonable that Epic Mickey could sell something like 7-9 million copies, and if not, what do people think Epic Mickey's sales potential is?

Dresden

With good word of mouth and reviews, anything is possible. And if Uncharted 2 can sell 3.5 million copies on the PS3, Epic Mickey, if it kicks ass, should be able to reach 9 million on the Wii.

Besides, it's just a good thing if a third-party game can have the success of first-party Nintendo titles on the platform.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think there is absolutely that sort of potential. Mickey is huge, Disney is huge, and it would seem to have a lot of mass market appeal that the Wii market eats up. I think it could also do well with the core gamer crowd given the developer. I think its more likely to "only" do 3-4 million world wide, but that would still be pretty successful.

I doubt it will enter 7-9 mil territory but it could definitely get in the 3-5 mil range. It all depends on how they market it and if it's good.

Nimyh

Banned
I hope we get to see more of the game's darker side. The first screenshots were somewhat underwhelming compared to the concept art that started the actual hype for the game.

donny2112

Nirolak said:
Considering that Epic Mickey is a 3D platformer, I assume the games they're referring to are things like the 7-9 million selling titles like 3D Marios and Zelda as opposed to the 15-20 million selling things like Mario Kart and Wii Fit.

So, I was curious, do people think it's reasonable that Epic Mickey could sell something like 7-9 million copies, and if not, what do people think Epic Mickey's sales potential is?

7-9 million worldwide is probably a stretch. > 1m in the U.S. in 2010 and > 2m in the U.S. overall is very much in reach if they advertise like Nintendo does (i.e. not all pre-release and around release, but continue to push the game for a long time). Maybe even pass Guitar Hero III on Wii in the U.S. as the best-selling third-party title. :)

zigg

a Master Ninja said:
Hopefully they are smart about the 3D camera. That can be a big stumbling block for the mainstream Wii audience.

Hell, I've been playing 3-D games since the 64 and bad cameras still frustrate the crap out of me. If they have the chops to follow some of Nintendo's latest leads in this department, though, they'll do good.

Anyway, the key thing they need here is marketing, I think. If they expect it to move that many units, they need to put the $ behind it for a game with that level of expected performance.

Majmun

I highly doubt that.

It's not a sports game, or a Nintendo game, or both. Those are the games that usually sell millions of copies on the Wii.

GhaleonQ

All they have to add to the built-in appeal to reach those numbers is the "Lego ___" hook that got people buying those constantly. I don't see why they can't do it. I bet they'll MAKE far less money than Nintendo, due to the massive marketing campaign they'll need to pull it off, though.

They need to start marketing it early then. Get adverts on Disney Channel. Get adverts before Toy Story 3. Advertise in whatever magazines Disney do. Get adverts on ESPN for fuck's sake, just get them EVERYWHERE

Mrbob

Speaking on potential, he might be right. I don't think it will happen, but having a great game with a Disney Mickey property could do huge numbers.

It can probably do Kingdom Hearts numbers at the very least. That is nothing to sneeze at.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I dont see it happening with Epic Mickey, but its theoretically possible. They're in a far better position than most anyway, simply due to how big the Disney and Mickey brand names are.

Make the game really fucking good, market the shit out of it, and maybe you'll see it hit that ballpark.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Second said:
It's not a sports game, or a Nintendo game, or both. Those are the games that usually sell millions of copies on the Wii.
Disney has tons of outlets to advertise the hell out of the game though. Multiple direct cable channels, related channels owned by the company (ESPN/ABC and all their related networks), their radio network, advertise it in all their theme parks, hell they could probably put a trailer before every Disney-related movie in theaters and DVD/BR as well if they wanted to go all out.

Linkup

The last time I saw the game it didn't look very good, the art direction was weak. I don't know about all the gameplay stuff, but on that level alone it looks like they are missing the boat compared to something like Super Mario Galaxy. They seem to have the resources and time to improve that though. Nintendo should give the title some space whenever it releases, both to their benefit and Disney.

NSMBW is a platformer too and that's will on it's way to 10 million. Epic Mickey matching that is certainly possible.

ismaboof

I don't think it's going to happen unless the game is vastly better than what the GI screen shots have me think it will be (not good).

I can see it happening.

It seems to be a very marketable game, and if they market it, it'll do very well.

Might near Galaxy level in sales, but no way it'll reach the upper echelon (Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit, eventually NSMBWii etc).

Epiphyte

XiaNaphryz said:
Disney has tons of outlets to advertise the hell out of the game though. Multiple direct cable channels, related channels owned by the company (ESPN/ABC and all their related networks), their radio network, advertise it in all their theme parks, hell they could probably put a trailer before every Disney-related movie in theaters and DVD/BR as well if they wanted to go all out.
Yeah, Disney certainly has the clout to give this a Nintendo like marketing blitz.

If this comment is indicative, it sounds like they may have the will to actually go through with it.

donny2112

Linkup said:
Nintendo should give the title some space whenever it releases, both to their benefit and Disney.

Galaxy 2 is in May. Other M in in June. Zelda is the holiday title. Mickey comes out in September.

They may be doing just what you suggested. :)

joetachi

Its an up hill battle but i wont deny the potential. This thread reminds me when sega said that sonic and the olympic games would sell over 4 million and most of the people in the thread laughed.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The statement basically confirms a marketing assault from Disney, which is pretty interesting. The fact they've invested in a product like this which is definitely not the norm in style shows real commitment.

I wasnt impressed with the screens bit I really hope this game delivers for Warren and Disney, in quality and sales.

Given that they put themselves in on this whole hog (meaning, putting all of their effort towards development, detail, proper audience placement, advertising budget, and of course, delivering a good game) I don't see why it isn't possible. Other third parties have found success with the same formula; Disney can surely at least match that.

EatChildren said:
I dont see it happening with Epic Mickey, but its theoretically possible. They're in a far better position than most anyway, simply due to how big the Disney and Mickey brand names are.

Make the game really fucking good, market the shit out of it, and maybe you'll see it hit that ballpark.
Brand name doesn't mean a thing in the long run. In fact, Epic Mickey can and will bomb if Disney expects Mickey or their brand name to sell the product.

Brand name only means something when the brand has established itself as a quality product/service that people are sure to want. Mario Video games sell because people know there's a good chance a game with him in it won't be shit. Ditto the Wii Sports Brand. People were anticipating Playstation 3 because of the cache that the PS2 built, then the house of cards fell on itself because of other extenuating failures of Sony's marketing (namely, price, and by consequence, development). Slapping Mickey onto a box is not the way to guarantee sales. Slapping Mickey onto a solid game that droves of people know about and are willing to pay to play are. This is Nintendo's strategy.

I predict this thread will be a carnival of stupid, made up mostly of people who will believe it will get ten million by virtue of being on Wii, people who assume it will bomb because it's on the Wii, and idiots who decide that the screenshots they saw months ago will dictate the marketplace momentum of the final game in ten months.

McNum

When Disney wants to, they can market the hell out of something. This is the spearhead of their revival of The Mouse himself. I expect Disney to show us the full power of their unholy marketing skills on this one, on multiple fronts. We won't be able to go anywhere with out seeing Epic Mickey in some form around release.

I'd expect this to catch up to Super Mario Galaxy when all is said and done.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ShockingAlberto said:
I predict this thread will be a carnival of stupid, made up mostly of people who will believe it will get ten million by virtue of being on Wii, people who assume it will bomb because it's on the Wii, and idiots who decide that the screenshots they saw months ago will dictate the marketplace momentum of the final game in ten months.

How can you predict stuff that has already happened?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
related to EPIC MICKEY and mickey in general:

has disney indicated if this is part of a relaunch of mickey on a broader level? i.e., sort of moving him back to the forefront of their brand, maybe even utilizing some of the design dialbacks from EM?

schuelma said:
How can you predict stuff that has already happened?
I tabbed out of the window when I got a "You must wait 60 seconds" message and forgot about the tab.

It would have been amazingly prescient as the second post!

The game needs a huge marketing push, and Disney is one company that's more than capable of doing it.

I'm glad to see that they have faith in this game and are willing to go all out with it. They clearly have a lot riding on its success.

Penguin

I think this has huge potential.

Mickey is a huge character. Disney has the bank to advertise the hell out of this, and it plays to the Wii's strengths namely, it doesn't have to look real at all so as long as the art style is nice and it remains as fluid as those GI videos, it will be a winner.

And I assume they mean a multiple million seller, I don't know any games that have upper Wii sales potential like Nintendo games. Hell, on any platform.

Bonk

ShockingAlberto said:
All I see are some pretty level headed comments. Let's not summon the freaks...

Malio

H"as Potential To Be As Successful On The Wii To Nintendo Levels...."

...if only because it's Mickey/Disney.

Top Bottom