• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney: Epic Mickey "Has Potential To Be As Successful On The Wii To Nintendo Levels"

a Master Ninja said:
Hopefully they are smart about the 3D camera. That can be a big stumbling block for the mainstream Wii audience.

wait what? I totally have not been paying attention to this game.

Spike

Obviously, he isn't saying it will sell the same as Nintendo's games, rather that it will sell as a top tier title. Given that they seem to be approaching this game the right way, by giving Junction Point the time it needs rather that rush it out the door and hope for the best.

They already have a sale from me. Warren Spector!

If just Dance games can sell 600,000 copies. Surely a Disney game starring Mickey Mouse with a Disney level advertising can sell millions of copies.

boiled goose

good with gravy
if its good and pushed, i say it will sell around 5million world wide

If it sucks and is pushed, i say it will do around 1.5 million WW

If it is good but not pushed, I say it will do around 1 million WW

If it sucks and it is not pushed, I say it will do around 500k WW

Mrbob

This is the marquee title for the Disney Interactive videogame brand. It will be marketed beyond belief.

obaidr

Banned
a dark themed mickey mouse game which will only sell on two markets (I really don't think this game will sell anything like 3m in Japan. I think 200k to 300k in Japan will only be able with magic) to reach 9m? I don't think so.

obaidr said:
a dark themed mickey mouse game which will only sell on two markets (I really don't think this game will sell anything like 3m in Japan. I think 200k to 300k in Japan will only be able with magic) to reach 9m? I don't think so.
Yeah, Japan hates Mickey Mouse.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
amtentori said:
if its good and pushed, i say it will sell around 5million world wide

If it sucks and is pushed, i say it will do around 1.5 million WW

If it is good but not pushed, I say it will do around 1 million WW

If it sucks and it is not pushed, I say it will do around 500k WW

Marketing and branding is more important to overall sales then quality. So that third stat could easily be in the 3-5 million range.

Linkup said:
The last time I saw the game it didn't look very good, the art direction was weak. I don't know about all the gameplay stuff, but on that level alone it looks like they are missing the boat compared to something like Super Mario Galaxy. They seem to have the resources and time to improve that though. Nintendo should give the title some space whenever it releases, both to their benefit and Disney.

NSMBW is a platformer too and that's will on it's way to 10 million. Epic Mickey matching that is certainly possible.
There is no way it will reach nsmbw numbers. A fairer comparison (but still off the mark IMO) would be SMG.

hatchx

Banned
It'd be nice if they showed a trailer or some new screens of the game. If it's a high profile title, they should show us some media that doesn't look like first-generation PS2 kids game.

....cautiously optimistic I am.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I will certainly hope the game sells. You can tell the people behind it are really serious about the game's design so that sort of enthusiasm should be rewarded with high sales.

aeolist

Banned
SovanJedi said:
I will certainly hope the game sells. You can tell the people behind it are really serious about the game's design so that sort of enthusiasm should be rewarded with high sales.
Enthusiasm means nothing, it only deserves sales if the final product is quality.

Making a really tight, fun game is the "secret Nintendo sauce" that most Wii developers can't seem to grasp.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
To append on to my post about marketing possibilities, I completely forgot Disney owns the Muppet properties now. Considering how much they've been using them for cross-network promotional stuff, I can see them getting into the act for marketing this. Statler and Waldorf review == hardcore gamer parody?

I'm certainly interested in Epic Mickey and have high hopes for it. The game has no chance of reaching Nintendo-levels of success unless it's a Nintendo-quality game, however. Critical acclaim and smart marketing can only get a game so far. In order for a game to reach reach Nintendo-levels of success, it pretty much needs strong word-of-mouth. That's what drives sales after the initial hype wears off; and that's the only thing that can push this game into Nintendo territory.

Platy

If it is a good game, it can sell to people who cares about good games...
Having mickey will make it sell to everyone else =P

They just need to do some marketing so both groups know the existence of this game

Threi

notag
ShockingAlberto said:
Ah the good thing about making bullshit predictions based off nothing more than kneejerk reactions, it doesn't matter if you're right or wrong, when there is enough data to form a conclusion nobody will care anymore, and even then anyone who got exposed as completely wrong will just shrug it off and business will continue as usual.

Unless of course you post about companies shooting themselves in the foot and whatnot, but that's a different matter.

Eteric Rice

Well, it does have the fact that it stars Disney characters on it's side.

The disadvantage it has is that Mickey Mouse isn't known for great video games anymore.

They really need to make every Disney game from here on out good, if they want Nintendo like successes. And building up that kind of trust takes a while.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Considering Nintendo's success on the Wii stretches from Captain Rainbow/Excite Bots levels all the way to Wii Play/Mario Kart they will probably be right.

In reference to "It needs to be really good to sell well":

Kingdom Hearts wiki said:
As of September 2008, the series has shipped over twelve million copies worldwide, with 2.0 million copies in PAL regions, 3.0 million copies in Japan, and 5.6 million copies in North America.

Deku

Banned
Not unreasonable. Considering what happened with Mario/Sonic at the Olympics has sold for example.

But the final product will determine a lot of what happens.

Baki

Nirolak said:
Apparently Disney has a lot of faith in Epic Mickey's sales potential. While I'm sure they're not banking on the game selling this much, it is a change a pace to see a third party publisher have this much faith in their Wii titles, presumably backing it up with a huge amount of support as well.

Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27301/Interview_Disneys_Hopper_On_Nintendo_Withholding_Mickey.php

Considering that Epic Mickey is a 3D platformer, I assume the games they're referring to are things like the 7-9 million selling titles like 3D Marios and Zelda as opposed to the 15-20 million selling things like Mario Kart and Wii Fit.

So, I was curious, do people think it's reasonable that Epic Mickey could sell something like 7-9 million copies, and if not, what do people think Epic Mickey's sales potential is?

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH

Now if he had said Kingdom Hearts levels...I would have laughed a lot less.

Very few games do 7M-9M copies. Those games are rare...(because a dime a dozen = common)

Now if they drop a $100M marketing campaign on this thing. KH level success is not impossible.

farnham

Banned
it is a character platformer with mickey.. who was once bigger then mario

if the game is good and marketed properly i think it has potential to be very very big

quickwhips

This game is going to bomb hard. Multiplatform (pc, xbox, ps3 and wii) it would have sold well. Wii exclusive even with mickey as the main character I just dont think it will sell well. I sorta try to look at games as if would my mom buy this? And no she wouldn't. Its got a creepy dark vibe to it and at least from some of the art work i've seen. I hope disney proves me wrong though.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
poppabk said:
Considering Nintendo's success on the Wii stretches from Captain Rainbow/Excite Bots levels all the way to Wii Play/Mario Kart they will probably be right.

Good point.

That said, I think the spirit of his statement is that he doesn't expect Epic Mickey to debut on NPD with 50k sales like a lot of "hyped" Wii exclusives before disappearing forever. He expects the game to simulate most Nintendo games where it debuts in the top 10 and stays in the top 20 for at least several months.

Anyway, in my opinion, this game will sell 5 to 6 million copies worldwide. It'll be a big success. It's appealing to both the hardcore and casual crowds and it'll surely have a lot of marketing muscle behind it — a rarity for a Wii game. There's no way it'll bomb.*

many a crow-eater has written this sentence, but I'm confident I'm right =P

donny2112

Baki said:
Very few games do 7M-9M copies. Those games are a dime a dozen.

<Inigo Montoya>
That phrase. I do not think it means what you think it means.
</Inigo Montoya>

quickwhips said:
I sorta try to look at games as if would my mom buy this? And no she wouldn't.

So your mom would buy Super Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess?

Baki

donny2112 said:
<Inigo Montoya>
That phrase. I do not think it means what you think it means.
</Inigo Montoya>

Lemme google it first.

:lol

EDIT: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU........

I've been using it in the wrong context for over 10 years!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Baki said:
Lemme google it first.

:lol

EDIT: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU........

"you see, karen, i've come to realize something about you. . . girls like you are a dime a dozen. it took me a long time to realize that, but i see it now."

donny2112

Danthrax said:
That contraction. I do not think it means what you think it means.

D'oh! I'm usually pretty good about that. :)

Baki said:

I'm more surprised that no one else has pointed it out in 10 years. :lol

beelzebozo said:
"you see, karen, i've come to realize something about you. . . girls like you are a dime a dozen. it took me a long time to realize that, but i see it now."

Karen: Well, fine then! I'm done with you! I could care less!

Jme

I'm not sure you doubters are aware of the levels of fanaticism Disney has in their favor for this title. There are people out there, Disney fans, who pre-ordered this from DisneyShopping.com before screenshots were even published in Game Informer. I think they have a very real chance with this title, especially if it plays well enough to grab core gamers.

Ranger X

If they really make a quality game with top production values + N big amount of marketing this will sell just as much.

If they fail ONE step of the equation they won't.

TunaLover

I think it will sell around 2-3 million copies WW, it could help if this get enough mainstream cover, if game imagery cuase some controversy.

Top Bottom