• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney: Epic Mickey "Has Potential To Be As Successful On The Wii To Nintendo Levels"

slit

donny2112 said:
Karen: Well, fine then! I'm done with you! I could care less!

128736147146181999.jpg

M3d10n

I don't know. Based solely on the information we have on the game so far, I am not sure a gloomy/dark/conceited approach to Mickey would turn casual heads around. Specially if it really ends up being called "Epic Mickey" (doubtful).

So far I have seen nothing of the broad appeal present in the Lego games or New Super Mario Bros.

Baki

donny2112 said:
D'oh! I'm usually pretty good about that. :)

I'm more surprised that no one else has pointed it out in 10 years. :lol

Karen: Well, fine then! I'm done with you! I could care less!

Its because when I say it, I sound so confident. :lol

:'(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm back to the future and I can confirm this game is not only the best selling this generation, but ever!

...and its all thanks to the Sony Wand port! Good job Sony!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
donny2112 said:
Karen: Well, fine then! Irregardless of what you say I'm done with you! I could care less!
Fixed and Firefox doesn't flag irregardless as incorrect.

Malio said:
H"as Potential To Be As Successful On The Wii To Nintendo Levels...."

...if only because it's Mickey/Disney.
Errr... how have previous Mickey/Disney games done?

Have ANY sold on the level of Mario Galaxy, let alone NSMBWii or Mario Kari Wii?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
timetokill said:
I'd love for this to be true, simply because I want their new/old vision of Mickey to be successful so I can like him again.

see, this is what i was trying to touch on earlier in the thread. i'm curious just how much they're going to promote this image of mickey, and if we'll start to see the "retro mickey" style start showing up in new disney cartoons/media.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
beelzebozo said:
see, this is what i was trying to touch on earlier in the thread. i'm curious just how much they're going to promote this image of mickey, and if we'll start to see the "retro mickey" style start showing up in new disney cartoons/media.

I would love that so much. Of all the issues I had with the early screens we saw, Mickey wasn't one of them. I loved how he looked and I love how retro Mickey is styled. Disney could do wonders going back to their roots of 'naughty' Mickey, especially for films.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
EatChildren said:
I would love that so much. Of all the issues I had with the early screens we saw, Mickey wasn't one of them. I loved how he looked and I love how retro Mickey is styled. Disney could do wonders going back to their roots of 'naughty' Mickey, especially for films.

just to see them try and release a new mickey film to theaters would be something, i think. they pump out the straight to dvd christmas movies about once every two years, but for them to make a new mickey movie would be a bold statement.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
DisenLedZep said:
Sadly, I except no more sales than Zack And Wiki...
You think a game with Mickey Mouse on the cover is not going to sell any better than Zack and Wiki? :lol

donny2112

DisenLedZep said:
Sadly, I expect no more sales than Zack And Wiki...

Do you have any idea how much Zack and Wiki sold? This'll ship more in the first day in the U.S. than Z&W shipped in its lifetime worldwide. o_O

WillyFive

EatChildren said:
I'm back to the future and I can confirm this game is not only the best selling this generation, but ever!

...and its all thanks to the Sony Wand port! Good job Sony!

Back from the Future.

Unless you are saying what I think you're saying.

EatChildren

beelzebozo said:
just to see them try and release a new mickey film to theaters would be something, i think. they pump out the straight to dvd christmas movies about once every two years, but for them to make a new mickey movie would be a bold statement.

Exactly, but with a Mickey that isn't immediately identified as a prissy piece of shit kids toy its possible. Mickey films are akin to Barbie films at the moment; straight-to-dvd low budget souless horseshit. Give Mickey the personalty back that could be loved and identifiable by everyone, have a Pixar-esque quality script behind it, and there's potential.

The question is; will Disney succeed or fuck shit up again.

Empty

i really hope it delivers both nintendo level sales and quality. i'm very excited to see what spector has done with the ip, and don't find the graphical style to be that off-putting even if it a step down from the concept art.

if disney can't do it no one can.

The wii section in Game and gamestation today is fucking depressing... sky crawlers and silent hill were both missing in action today... but if you want something with party in the title, they got you covered.

Dogenzaka

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
In reference to "It needs to be really good to sell well":

I guess it's a good thing Kingdom Hearts is pretty good, then.

Do we have any real details about this game since its announcement in Game Informer? I was intrigued by the concept art but the screenshots look so empty and lifeless I'm not sure if it'll be as good as it seemed..

farnham

Banned
Deku said:
Not unreasonable. Considering what happened with Mario/Sonic at the Olympics has sold for example.

But the final product will determine a lot of what happens.
if they get mario in there and name it epic mario and mickey the game will sell bazillions

DisenLedZep said:
Sadly, I except no more sales than Zack And Wiki...

its a game with a popular character and its being supported by disney

zack and wiki was a new IP with no popular characters at all and not really supported by capcom

Call me crazy, but I totaly agree with one of the folks of the original Epic Mickey Thread;

The possible audience of this game owns a 360/PS3. Nowadays kids don't care/aren't huge fans of Mickey, so there won't be much of a Wii/Familiy/whateveryouwannacallit-Bonus in sales

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
which1spink said:
Call me crazy, but I totaly agree with one of the folks of the original Epic Mickey Thread;

Kids still care about Disney, and if Disney markets this like they do all their big products it will do just fine.

Haunted

Sure, the potential is there.

Won't happen, though. There are basically only two companies who have managed this kind of success this generation, and that's Nintendo and ActiBlizzard.

ymmv

Banned
Dresden said:
With good word of mouth and reviews, anything is possible. And if Uncharted 2 can sell 3.5 million copies on the PS3, Epic Mickey, if it kicks ass, should be able to reach 9 million on the Wii.

Besides, it's just a good thing if a third-party game can have the success of first-party Nintendo titles on the platform.

Million selling games on the PS360 do this primarily on their own merits, million selling games on the Wii are successes through marketing and brand awareness. The people who buy Wii games are usually parents who don't read gaming sites or reviews, they take no risks. Hardcore gamers are knowledgable, they recognize every single title on store shelves, know exactly what games they want to buy from their wish list. Parents who buy a Wii are clueless, they only know they need games for their new console but have no idea what to pick up so they go for whatever is the most popular and that's usually a safe choice with Mario or Zelda in the name. Mickey is a well known, kid friendly IP and if Disney succeeds with focused, heavy advertising in making Epic Mickey the must have title for their young ones, it could become one of the two, three titles that most parents will pick up for their kids for Chrismas.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
ymmv said:
Million selling games on the PS360 do this primarily on their own merits, million selling games on the Wii are successes through marketing and brand awareness. The people who buy Wii games are usually parents who don't read gaming sites or reviews, they take no risks. Hardcore gamers are knowledgable, they recognize every single title on store shelves, know exactly what games they want to buy from their wish list. Parents who buy a Wii are clueless, they only know they need games for their new console but have no idea what to pick up so they go for whatever is the most popular and that's usually a safe choice with Mario or Zelda in the name. Mickey is a well known, kid friendly IP and if Disney succeeds with focused, heavy advertising in making Epic Mickey the must have title for their young ones, it could become one of the two, three titles that most parents will pick up for their kids for Chrismas.

Am I going to have to avatar quote a bitch? Really??? :lol

Cheez-It

I don't understand these lowball estimates. It's fucking Disney pushing the Mickey name, with Warren Spector behind it and collaboration with Pixar. Are you people insane?

Obviously, it *could* do poorly... but I think it's more reasonable to predict big sales...

Dupy said:
Kids still care about Disney, and if Disney markets this like they do all their big products it will do just fine.
Sure, I don't know about the worldwide situation of Disney, but based on my personal experience I can tell you that kids here in Europe aren't that stoked about Disney franchises anymore.

Look: When I was young and Disney released a new movie we were so hyped like pre-E3 GAF is today. Now, when I take my brother and his friends as an indicator they ain't giving shit about anything Disney related. Also Disneyland in France is pretty much a ghost down since the early 2000s.

So kids still care about Disney? Sure, but not nearly as much as we did. Classic Toons are dead get along with it. The only thing Disney does nowadays is to print the money out of fucking Reallife franchises (and of course Pixar, which basically is todays Disney to me).

ymmv said:
Million selling games on the PS360 do this primarily on their own merits, million selling games on the Wii are successes through marketing and brand awareness.

Yeah, this is just incorrect on so many levels. I'm not even gonna bother with the rest of it. You'd have to claim that the marketing budget for HD million-seller+ games were small. The marketing budget for big HD titles is huge. More often than not, the big HD titles have marketing budgets that put even most of Nintendo's big pushes to shame.

Effect

It certainly has the potential. If Disney marketed it correctly and took advantage of all their options and channels (Disney channels (Disney proper, Toon, XD), ABC Family, ABC, hell even ESPN) which I doubt they'd have to pay a lot to advertise on (it's their channels) combined with other stations and outlets it could do Nintendo level numbers. Mickey is a known brand all over the world. Disney has the money. This is an investment for them as well in rebranding Mickey Mouse and pushing him once again. At least that's what my understanding was. Disney will want to give this a Mario level marketing push if not higher.

slit

which1spink said:
Sure, I don't know about the worldwide situation of Disney, but based on my personal experience I can tell you that kids here in Europe aren't that stoked about Disney franchises anymore.

Look: When I was young and Disney released a new movie we were so hyped like pre-E3 GAF is today. Now, when I take my brother and his friends as an indicator they ain't giving shit about anything Disney related. Also Disneyland in France is pretty much a ghost down since the early 2000s.

So kids still care about Disney? Sure, but not nearly as much as we did. Classic Toons are dead get along with it. The only thing Disney does nowadays is to print the money out of fucking Reallife franchises (and of course Pixar, which basically is todays Disney to me).

If it's a ghost town why is it in the top 10 most visited theme parks in the world?

Haunted

Metal Gear?! said:
Errr... how have previous Mickey/Disney games done?

Have ANY sold on the level of Mario Galaxy, let alone NSMBWii or Mario Kari Wii?
Pfft, maybe a tenth, at best.

Those were different times, though. But again, just for reference, NSMBWii and Mario Kart Wii will take their place among the best-selling console games of all time. Like, Top 5 material.

If you're saying you're going to have Nintendo levels of success on the Wii, you're essentially saying that you're making one of the 10 best selling console games of all time, across all platforms. :p

legend166

ymmv said:

Did you know how much Activision spent on marketing Modern Warfare 2?

You could take the 10 biggest 3rd party games on the Wii, add together their development and marketing budgets, and it still wouldn't come close to the marketing budget of Modern Warfare 2.

p.s. It was 150 million dollars.

Wag

I still think "Epic Mickey" sounds like a really strong drug you slip into someone's drink to knock them out.:D

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Mickey has been little more than a logo for the last few decades. If the game somehow manages to achieve Nintendo levels of mainstream success it will be on the weight of its own merits and Disney's marketing dollars. It's almost akin to Pixar making a movie based on the lamp and saying that it will make as much revenue as Harry Potter.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So are they talking about Wii Fit levels of success or Zelda levels of success or Metroid levels of success?

I assume Zelda/Mario level.

MAYBE.

If they put the right amount of marketing muscle behind it, then POSSIBLY. But they need to CONTINUE to push the game past the first month, because if it's going to succeed past the young audience and the hardcore Wii audience, it needs continued marketing and good word of mouth.

Mickey has the recognition level of Mario, certainly, but he doesn't have the history of great game after great game after great game that Mario has, and they need to make sure that the game strikes the right balance of accessibility and challenge like the Mario games.

legend166 said:
Did you know how much Activision spent on marketing Modern Warfare 2?

You could take the 10 biggest 3rd party games on the Wii, add together their development and marketing budgets, and it still wouldn't come close to the marketing budget of Modern Warfare 2.

p.s. It was 150 million dollars.

this.

Vizion28

Banned
I so hope this video game succeeds. The video game market needs more games like this and Mario type games. There are too many ultra violent video games where you play a badass with an axe to grind.

Give me a creative platformer any day. Man, I miss the 90s.

Edit: I think what would make this game more likely to be successful is if it was light hearted. Haven't you noticed just about every Nintendo game is light hearted and doesn't take itself seriously? Most Nintendo games are "gamey" as opposed to "hollywoodish".

After more than 3 years the Wii only gets 3 games (Red Steel 2, Monter H Tri, Epic M) where third parties bust their butt to make it high quality. Unbelievable! I bet that makes Miyamoto sad sometimes.

Top Bottom