• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney: Epic Mickey "Has Potential To Be As Successful On The Wii To Nintendo Levels"

zigg

Wag said:
I still think "Epic Mickey" sounds like a really strong drug you slip into someone's drink to knock them out.:D

Since you mentioned it, I'm curious what the inevitable title change is going to be.

SapientWolf said:
It's almost akin to Pixar making a movie based on the lamp .

They did that already!

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
slit said:
Well then make up your mind. Is it a ghost town or fucking Disneyland? 15.4 million visitors does not a ghost town make.

Seriously.

Look I don't know what the brand is like overseas but in the US girls love The Princesses, parents take their kids to see The Lion King and The Little Mermaid on Broadway, their classic cartoon DVD releases are hits and everyone loves Pixar movies. Which by the way everyone realizes is a Disney brand.

Your anecdotal brother observation is as unreliable as the "Would my mom buy this?" argument someone else used earlier.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
zigg said:
Since you mentioned it, I'm curious what the inevitable title change is going to be.

They did that already!
Pixar made a Lamp short but not a whole movie, IIRC. In fact, I think a lot of their full featured films started off that way.

Anyway, my point is that it is possible, if not likely, that most of the millennials have never seen a film or cartoon with Mickey Mouse in it. Mickey has more cache with baby boomers than this current generation. On the other hand, the attachment to Mario is so strong that people smile involuntarily when they hear the Mario song. It's nearly universal.

If its bad (and im sure its not going to be) and has a good campaign it will sell a lot, and by a lot I mean 1-2 million.
If its excellent and has a good campaign it will sell a crapload, 4-5 million maybe.

Thats because even if its a bad game, it has Mickey Mouse in the box, and that means if it has BIG tv campaign, idiot parents will buy it to their children, doesnt matter if the game is a dime a dozen. Bad quality Disney games sell good in Wii and DS.

If it really is a good game, not only this typical parents will buy it because they have seen it in tv and its disney, but also the people that like to play good games, and then there is the word of mouth, and the dinsyt ad campaign.

You are and idiot if you think this game is going to bomb, being a good or a bad game.

For now they have my sale.

KamenSenshi

i see this game doing well hopefully, but not to mario levels. i'd say around 2-5 million before it starts droping after a while. being wrong in this case wouldnt be bad though. i want to see this get pushed in happy meal's, before movies, tv commercials, the works. if anyone can make it happen other than nintendo it's disney.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
With titles like De Blob, Lego Star Wars, Boom Blox, Carnival Games, Smarty Pants, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Rayman Rabbids (1,2, & 3), Lego Indiana Jones, Lego Batman, MySims Kingdom, Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz, Monopoly, etc. all selling over a million units with a lesser name, lesser hype, and lesser advertisement then Epic Mickey, I see no problem for Disney's flagship title to go on and sell at least 2 Million, even if it did suck.

But group that with (potentially) an actual high quality game that has good word of mouth and the core audience caring about Epic Mickey like they would Nintendo Titles.... then over 4 Million is guaranteed.

I personally predict over 6 Million.

By the way, this thread has "Deja Vu" written all over it.

MarioSonicOlympics.jpg

If it retained even a shred of the incredible art that was prevalent in the storyboards I would say maybe. As is no way. Ha who am I kidding Mickey is colossal it will sell like gangbusters.

zigg said:
I'm not totally convinced that they are going to change it. Creatively speaking, it's not a great title at all, but they seem to be standing by it. They've repeatedly referred to it as Disney's Epic Mickey, rather than simply Epic Mickey.

In any case, it's a far more marketable title than I think a lot of people realize. I'd rather them keep it instead of change it to some shovelware-sounding title like Mickey Mouse and the Spooky Wasteland or Mickey Mouse Adventures, which I fear is what they'd end up doing.

BruceLeeRoy said:
If it retained even a shred of the incredible art that was prevalent in the storyboards I would say maybe. As is no way. Ha who am I kidding Mickey is colossal it will sell like gangbusters.
Nice to see GAF being so open-minded. Nothing like condemning yet another game that you haven't seen a second of in motion.

slit

Dupy said:
Seriously.

Look I don't know what the brand is like overseas but in the US girls love The Princesses, parents take their kids to see The Lion King and The Little Mermaid on Broadway, their classic cartoon DVD releases are hits and everyone loves Pixar movies. Which by the way everyone realizes is a Disney brand.

Your anecdotal brother observation is as unreliable as the "Would my mom buy this?" argument someone else used earlier.

I didn't make the brother observation, he did, unless that's who you were replying to?

BertramCooper said:
Nice to see GAF being so open-minded. Nothing like condemning yet another game that you haven't seen a second of in motion.

I am not speaking about the overall quality just the horrible art. I mean Warren is behind it so it definitely has the potential to be amazing.

I think they can do as well as SMG or close.

I mean . . .

Iconic character that EVERYONE knows- check

Developer with a good rep- check

Pub thats willing to do a advertising BLOW-THE-FUCK-OUT!- check

Interesting game ideas with mass market appeal- check

Good, high quality game with good reviews and good game play- yet to be seen but IMO its very likely gonna be the case.

If they could try to sale this to the people who like SMG (NO ONE is trying to get these people other then Nintendo it would seem) they can get at least get somewhere close to SMG numbers (3-5mill) IMO and thats not even counting the people who will buy it because of Mickey.

which1spink said:
Sure, I don't know about the worldwide situation of Disney, but based on my personal experience I can tell you that kids here in Europe aren't that stoked about Disney franchises anymore.

Look: When I was young and Disney released a new movie we were so hyped like pre-E3 GAF is today. Now, when I take my brother and his friends as an indicator they ain't giving shit about anything Disney related. Also Disneyland in France is pretty much a ghost down since the early 2000s.

So kids still care about Disney? Sure, but not nearly as much as we did. Classic Toons are dead get along with it. The only thing Disney does nowadays is to print the money out of fucking Reallife franchises (and of course Pixar, which basically is todays Disney to me).

1. This is completly false, Disney themeparks (yes, even Paris) are doing MUCH better now that in 2000. Get your facts straight and dont get your personal view as a fact. Even with recession they are NOT a ghosttown and are doing rather well.

2. Centering the conversation more in Disneyland Paris. When it opened that park was going to shit, because the french didnt want the park because it was american and other things that are to big to discuss here. It was also rather low quality compared to its brothers. There had to be changes to up the park, and they were accomplished, as the number of visitors hugely incresed.
If the park would have been put in the first place in a country that need it and wanted it and were it had better weather around the year it would have had a bigger success at the start. The little story, it was going to be. Spain (a Valencian town, that means more sunny weather and more hours open) was going to have the park, but the fuking government at the time made the life impossible to Disney and off they went with the project, even if people wanted it to be build here becuase of all the jobs and no descrimination by that time to americans. Its a sad tale that has been repeated in 2009 when they wanted to put a part of Disney Animation Studios in spain, and thanks to the governement and someone stealing the money the project went to shit.
Disney has to be fed up with us :lol :(

BruceLeeRoy said:
I am not speaking about the overall quality just the horrible art. I mean Warren is behind it so it definitely has the potential to be amazing.
From what I've seen, I think it works. And we've only seen screenshots from a few areas of the game.

For what it's worth, I dig the Mickey design.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Why is this thread so long? Is this really that controversial?

Fredescu

MYE said:
What? :lol

Are you MAD? This is Mickey Mouse

MICKEY MOUSE
Is Mickey really that big a deal in the public eye now? When was the last huge movie he starred in? Honest questions, I really don't know.

BertramCooper said:
From what I've seen, I think it works. And we've only seen screenshots from a few areas of the game.

For what it's worth, I dig the Mickey design.

I probably would be much more forgiving about the look of the game If we hadn't been teased for months with that phenomenal concept art.

Penguin

I could be mistaken, but I expect a major focus on e3 from Nintendo, but I could also see a push with....

1657right.jpg

I mean a trailer in front of that movie, and you have yourself quite the audience especially for the near 30 million people who own a Wii in the States.

I'm kinda scratching my head about how this supposed to be some kind of mainstream success even though it is supposed to be a "more dark and twisted" take on Mickey which is something you wouldn't really associate with the franchise. Plus, I don't think any of the games Spector was involved in were ever mega multi million sellers, so. But maybe I simply like being a negative Nancy.

Black-Wind said:
Developer with a good rep- check
Maybe among old school PC gamers. After all, the last game he did was Invisible War in 2003 which did come out on Xbox but didn't really make much of a splash if I recall correctly.

BruceLeeRoy said:

WHAT THE FUCK IS A GANGBUSTER

"I think we've tried to learn from the things Nintendo does well," he says. "One of the things that Nintendo does on their own platforms is they give their projects the time and appropriate resources to be successful, and they iterate until they get there. And I think we're doing the same with Epic Mickey, giving it the time and resources to be successful."
Did I just break through the fabric of space/time to some alternate reality where a 3rd part publisher says something that makes sense for the Wii?

wizword

Banned
Why wouldn't a mickey platformer sell 5-6 million. I mean 100 million people pay 100 $ to see mickey mouse at an amusement park you would imagine that those same people own a wii for their kids and probably will buy their kids the game. I expect the game to sell 4 million +, anything else is a failure.

Kingdom Hearts sales were largely due to all those ads on the disney channel. Playing an rpg with disney characters appealed. Why wouldn't a platformer not have the same appeal?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ymmv said:
Million selling games on the PS360 do this primarily on their own merits, million selling games on the Wii are successes through marketing and brand awareness. The people who buy Wii games are usually parents who don't read gaming sites or reviews, they take no risks. Hardcore gamers are knowledgable, they recognize every single title on store shelves, know exactly what games they want to buy from their wish list. Parents who buy a Wii are clueless, they only know they need games for their new console but have no idea what to pick up so they go for whatever is the most popular and that's usually a safe choice with Mario or Zelda in the name. Mickey is a well known, kid friendly IP and if Disney succeeds with focused, heavy advertising in making Epic Mickey the must have title for their young ones, it could become one of the two, three titles that most parents will pick up for their kids for Chrismas.

:lol :lol :lol

Lets just say you are horribly wrong.

BruceLeeRoy said:
I probably would be much more forgiving about the look of the game If we hadn't been teased for months with that phenomenal concept art.

But those concept arts were leaked, not shown officially.

Still, we have only seen the first world and it was Its a Small World, and the artworks for it are very similar to the screens they showed for that stage. The OFFICIAL artwork for Lonesome Manor (the stage based in the first ideas that the Imagineers, WED in those years, had of the haunted mansion) was much better and im confident it will a better zone than the Its a Small World.
epic_manor.jpg

There were 2 or 3 more in the Warren Spector presenting Epic Mickey video.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
-WindYoshi- said:
It was a radio drama from the 1930's that with police sirens, gun fire, squealing tires, and all sorts of other loud noises.

Hence "Coming on like Gangbusters".

Haunted

How big is Mickey among kids and people, anyway?

$5 billion in merchandise each year isn't exactly chump change.

I agree with their rationale. Not many third-party publishers will put the necessary time and resources into a Wii game to make it successful because they're afraid of failure and the "only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo consoles" history. By doing that, however, they make it a self-fulfilling prophecy. Of course, it helps that Disney and Mickey are such huge brands, but it's good to see a publisher willing to take an intelligent risk on a severely underexploited and potentially highly lucrative market.

witness

Would not surprise me, Disney will market the shit out of this game. There will be tons of kids asking for it for christmas, it'll have legs to.

Linkified

I think we need to see more of it before we make comments. But Disney has the needs to market this game at every theme park all their networks around the world, magazines. Its just will the scoccer moms think its too dark for their kids over the mario titles - thats what will change the success of it.

-WindYoshi- said:
Well sir, in the 30s there was a radio program called Gangbusters, which was about police officers who broke up and arrested gangs of the day. This type of police were noted for their incredible efficiency, power, and speed. Around the time of the show, people started using the slang expression "going like gangbusters" and it wasn't long before it cross-pollinated with other expressions, creating "it'll do gangbusters" and "it'll sell like gangbusters".

Bizzyb

Banned
If the quality is there, then yes. I mean it's Mickey Mouse for goodness sakes. I know I will be there day one if the game lives up to its potential.

Black-Wind said:
GANGBUSTER
: with great or excessive force or aggressiveness <came on like gangbusters>; also : with great speed or success <making money like gangbusters — Martha Hume>

: outstandingly excellent or successful <a gangbusters ballplayer>

Nirolak said:
It was a radio drama from the 1930's that with police sirens, gun fire, squealing tires, and all sorts of other loud noises.

Hence "Coming on like Gangbusters".

Segata Sanshiro said:
Well sir, in the 30s there was a radio program called Gangbusters, which was about police officers who broke up and arrested gangs of the day. This type of police were noted for their incredible efficiency, power, and speed. Around the time of the show, people started using the slang expression "going like gangbusters" and it wasn't long before it cross-pollinated with other expressions, creating "it'll do gangbusters" and "it'll sell like gangbusters".

Now it makes sense. Thanks a lot!

:lol

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
BertramCooper said:
I'm not totally convinced that they are going to change it. Creatively speaking, it's not a great title at all, but they seem to be standing by it. They've repeatedly referred to it as Disney's Epic Mickey, rather than simply Epic Mickey.

In any case, it's a far more marketable title than I think a lot of people realize. I'd rather them keep it instead of change it to some shovelware-sounding title like Mickey Mouse and the Spooky Wasteland or Mickey Mouse Adventures, which I fear is what they'd end up doing..

MICKEY'S EPIC QUEST or something like that would stick with the "epic" thing. i have to admit that something sounds a little goofy about "epic mickey" when you haven't been exposed to it over and over and over. it sounds like a codename for a game. which is fine i guess, but it's sort of like if KINGDOM HEARTS was called INCREDIBLE DISNEY-SQUARE CROSSOVER.

Top Bottom